Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

This is the most criminal thing in this post

E: well, that was a terrible snipe.

135 CE. Jerusalem is renamed Colonia Aelia Capitolina. This is Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

E2: ok, this deserves to be here

https://twitter.com/YesCymru/status/1352703832028012544?s=19

Lobster God fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your average coke smells like nothing and leaves a fairly bitter aftertaste in the back of your nasal cavity that can take a few minutes of snorting and a few sips of your pint to fade. An okay thing to do a few times when you're young and stupid but extremely sad in your mid-30s, and definitely a lower fun:price ratio than warhams or posting on a forum
I like to split the diff and grind Warhams into a fine powder and snort it

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Random Integer posted:

Thats an expensive sounding habit

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Thats an expensive sounding habit

something something Ms Adequate something something

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

crispix posted:

YEAH THERE WAS THE PLACE WITH THE ICE CREAM IT WAS GOOD

WHY WE SHOUTING LOL

I was very excited to remember how great it was lmao

Also there was that one chippy

Also I saw a VERY large crab there once when we were staying at the caravan with my uncle Bobby that gave me the heebie-jeebies biggest crab ever imho

Angepain posted:

What a wonderful moment to enter the thread :allears:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Lobster God posted:

This is the most criminal thing in this post

E: well, that was a terrible snipe.

135 CE. Jerusalem is renamed Colonia Aelia Capitolina. This is Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

E2: ok, this deserves to be here

https://twitter.com/YesCymru/status/1352703832028012544?s=19

This is worse than BYOB reggae

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

It hasn't been proved for coronaviruses the same as it has for influenza but there's some thoughts around the idea that it might reduce your initial infective dose and therefore severity of disease, even if it doesn't fully stop you catching it, so even if it is mostly about preventing onward transmission it'd be interesting to see if that holds any water.

Data heavily suggests properly fitted N95 do confer at least some protection. Probably same as influenza.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I just don't see a mechanism by which a mask blocks an infective dose of covid at range on the way out but not the way in. Unless someone's sneezing directly into your mouth.

But science is unintuitive at times I just want an explanation before I'm convinced.

That was done a while ago, a mask significantly reduces the range your exhaled virus can reach. This is great news if you're somewhere with working tracing, since infected people don't get a chance to infect nearly as many people as long as you adhere to some level of social distancing.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Random Integer posted:

In this country, you gotta make the models first. Then when you got the models, you get the paint. Then when you paint the models, then you get the... uh...

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wachter posted:

In this country, you gotta make the models first. Then when you got the models, you get the paint. Then when you paint the models, then you get the... uh...

Obsession with buying bases, flock, gravel, tiny screwdrivers, modelling clay, claw grabby things, different colours of undercoat... The list goes on.

Save me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mebh posted:

Obsession with buying bases, flock, gravel, tiny screwdrivers, modelling clay, claw grabby things, different colours of undercoat... The list goes on.

Save me.

dont forget having to own 100+ dice

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Angepain posted:

I've been here too long, my brain didn't even process it as "(expensive sounding) habit" until way after, just went straight to expensive (sounding habit)" and stayed there.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I guess a few posters here were in London that year before magic mushrooms were made illegal? Every other shop on Camden High Street was selling punnets of them for a fiver.

It was pretty cool, people would just turn up to a barbecue with a load of shrooms instead of a bottle of wine or whatever.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

No dusting it with sulphur? (I liked the mercury sphygmomanometers, you could still find them in country practices into the 00s

No sulpher- mercury was chased round with paper towels by nurses in the 90s, and by nurses before me for a long time. Did us no harm.

The mercury thermometer was great for shutting up annoying patients- you just shoved it in their mouths, under the tongue and told them it has to stay there for 5 minutes.

I have a low tolerance of annoyance from patients now and any thing that stops them talking is good.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Anyone know why Sturgeon should resign is a thing today?

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020
This is probably coming from intubating to many happy hypoxics. And then watching them die.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

To do with the story behind this poll I imagine:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19025944.poll-two-thirds-say-nicola-sturgeon-quit-misled-holyrood-salmond-affair/?ref=twtrec

We're still at the point where liking the snp/Sturgeon is an identity though, so I don't see her being in any trouble at all form this

edit: full article:

quote:

TWO-thirds of Scots think Nicola Sturgeon should resign if she is found to have lied to the Scottish Parliament, according to a new poll.

Panelbase found 68 per cent of decided voters wanted the First Minister to quit if she deliberately misled MSPs over the Alex Salmond affair.

SNP voters were split down the middle on whether she should go in such circumstances.

Ms Sturgeon has strongly denied misleading parliament.

READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon says she does not consider she misled parliament over Salmond affair

The findings are from poll questions commissioned by the Wings Over Scotland website, which although pro-independence is often brutally critical of Ms Sturgeon’s leadership.

Participants were asked: "Two inquiries are currently investigating whether Nicola Sturgeon lied to the Scottish Parliament about her knowledge of false allegations of misconduct against Alex Salmond.

“The Ministerial Code - the rules under which the Scottish Government operates - stipulates that any minister found to have deliberately misled Parliament should resign.

“If it is found that Nicola Sturgeon did lie to Parliament, should she resign?”

Panelbase reported that, despite Ms Sturgeon’s high personal approval ratings in the pandemic, lying to parliament was seen as beyond the pale, with a 68-32 split in favour of her stepping down.

The feeling was more pronounced among people who backed Unionist parties at the 2019 general election, with 92% of Tory, 78% of Labour and 73% of Liberal Democrat decided voters saying that she should resign.

However 49% of decided SNP voters also said she should go, compared to 51% who thought she should survive.

More than half of her SNP backers cited either her good leadership or her work during the pandemic as reasons why should stay in post regardless.

A majority of those who voted Yes to independence in 2014 also thought Ms Sturgeon should quit, with 54% saying she should leave, compared to 82% of No voters.

HeraldScotland:
Most women also thought Ms Sturgeon should quit if she lied to parliament, with 64% of female decided voters saying so, compared to 71% of male voters.

Scots-born blogger Stuart Campbell, who runs Wings Over Scotland from Bath, said the findings showed SNP loyalists were wrong to dismiss the Salmond affair as a “political bubble” issue which ordinary voters didn’t care about.

He wrote: “If the First Minister’s plan is to just ride out any unfavourable inquiry findings on the back of her popularity, she may be in for a nasty shock.”

Ms Sturgeon is currently being investigated by the independent adviser on the Scottish ministerial code over whether she failed to tell officials about contacts with her predecessor.

If she is found to have broken the code, it would be seen as a resigning issue at Holyrood.

The adviser, former Irish prosecutor James Hamilton, recently said he was minded to widen the probe into whether Mr Sturgeon mislead parliament about the nature of the contacts.

She is also due to give evidence next month to the Holyrood inquiry into Mr Salmond’s legal fight with the Scottish Government.

The inquiry is looking into the Government’s botched probe into sexual misconduct claims levelled against the former first minister in 2018 by two civil servants.

READ MORE: Alex Salmond accuses Nicola Sturgeon of giving 'untrue' evidence to Holyrood inquiry

Mr Salmond had the probe set aside in a judicial review by showing it was “tainted by apparent bias”, a Government flaw that left taxpayers with a £512,000 bill for his costs.

After the Government’s defence of the civil action collapsed in January 2019, Ms Sturgeon revealed she had three meetings and two calls with Mr Salmond while he was being investigated by her officials.

She insisted these were taken in her capacity as SNP leader, and so no Government officials were present or minutes taken.

The opposition claim she broke the ministerial code by failing to report the contacts fully and timeously to her officials.

Ms Sturgeon only reported the first meeting at her home on April 2, 2018 to the Government’s top official on 6 June on the eve of another meeting with Mr Salmond.

Mr Salmond alleges Ms Sturgeon also broke the code by misleading parliament about the nature of the meeting, claiming she knew full well they were not party business.

He said she even helped arrange the April 2 meeting four days previously, on March 29, on the explicit understand that he intended to discuss the Government probe with her.

READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon says ministerial code probe can check if she misled parliament

Ms Sturgeon later said she had “forgotten” about the March 29 meeting, despite confirming it had involved a discussion of Mr Salmond and sexual matters.

Mr Salmond said Ms Sturgeon’s statements to the Holyrood chamber and the inquiry that she was unaware of the agenda for the April 2 meeting were untrue.

It prompted opposition MSPs to urge Mr Hamilton to expand his work to include whether Ms Sturgeon misled parliament.

When Mr Hamilton last week said he was “minded” to do so, Ms Sturgeon told MSPs that she “completely” refuted the allegations that she breached the ministerial code.

The SNP have been asked for comment

Niric fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 23, 2021

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Vitamin P posted:

At a guess it's to do with the Alex Salmond mounting his counter-attack against Sturgeon and leveraging an inquiry against the procedures used in the investigation against him.

Like I haven't been following the incident too closely, but am I right to say that a layman's version of events is....

Complaints were made against Salmond that became criminal charges.
Sturgeon (who hated Salmond) pushed things a bit faster to get him kicked out.
He is found Not Guilty and now wants to use the fact that technically some T's weren't crossed to smash the whole system?
Am I also right in saying that Salmond is basically a sexual predator and sociopath, but because he escaped, instead of taking the win he is going on the warpath. Since that is how his type of alpha Male brain works.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sturgeon was a well timed successor to Salmond, peaking fame and clout wise at the right time. Doesn't feel like theres another one in the SNP right now. Are they in any way still a bit cult of celebrity or would it not matter?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Not sure where you're getting this from, but this isn't the story at all. Sturgeon was Salmond's protege and is being accused of having undeclared meetings with him.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Niric posted:

Not sure where you're getting this from, but this isn't the story at all. Sturgeon was Salmond's protege and is being accused of having undeclared meetings with him.

Well they don't seem besties anymore!

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

The Question IRL posted:

At a guess it's to do with the Alex Salmond mounting his counter-attack against Sturgeon and leveraging an inquiry against the procedures used in the investigation against him.

Like I haven't been following the incident too closely, but am I right to say that a layman's version of events is....

He is found Not Guilty and now wants to use the fact that technically some T's weren't crossed to smash the whole system?
Am I also right in saying that Salmond is basically a sexual predator and sociopath, but because he escaped, instead of taking the win he is going on the warpath. Since that is how his type of alpha Male brain works.

I've shortened this for you.

Some Scots have got their knickers in a twist, and nobody else gives a gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stuart Campbell and Piss Flaps should fight in an Aldi car park.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oh yeah, they're definitely not now, but the idea that sturgeon "hated" Salmond or that they had a Blair/brown thing going on while he was first minister isn't something I've heard anything about

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No, he's gone full wrecker. It's giving me real shades of Tommy Sheridan's split with the SSP which essentially killed that party. Which would be funny if not for the fact that facing a thousand year neoliberal Reich I'm firmly back on board with crushing this decrepit union. I'll take being even poorer to never have to deal with another Etonian PM.

That Salmond is allied to some of the worst dregs in the SNP (hiya Joanna Cherry) makes it very easy to be sympathetic towards Sturgeon even if she did lie, because Salmond's basically doing "she knew I did way more sexual harassment than she let on " which I'm unsure is the own he thinks it is.

Dogatron posted:

I've shortened this for you.

Some Scots have got their knickers in a twist, and nobody else gives a gently caress.

gently caress off

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 23, 2021

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress off

That is quite rude, almost uncalled for.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dogatron posted:

That is quite rude, almost uncalled for.
No, he's absolutely right. gently caress off.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Niric posted:

To do with the story behind this poll I imagine:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/19025944.poll-two-thirds-say-nicola-sturgeon-quit-misled-holyrood-salmond-affair/?ref=twtrec

We're still at the point where liking the snp/Sturgeon is an identity though, so I don't see her being in any trouble at all form this

edit: full article:

Thank you and aside from "Jim Murphy is obviously a reptilian/useless" and Scotland being presented an apparently lefty alternative to new labour dogshit I still can't loving fathom this

it's an insane, massive swing, if there's any legit good books on the rise of the SNP please post em.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Bobby Deluxe posted:

No, he's absolutely right. gently caress off.

Off I gently caress then.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Thank you and aside from "Jim Murphy is obviously a reptilian/useless" and Scotland being presented an apparently lefty alternative to new labour dogshit I still can't loving fathom this

it's an insane, massive swing, if there's any legit good books on the rise of the SNP please post em.

I don't know about good books, but that graph is massively misleading because it excludes Holyrood voting patterns. Which is kinda interesting in itself, since it showed that, for a while at least, Scottish voters considered holyrood and UK elections quite differently. The SNP have been the largest party here since 2007, so it's much less of an immediate swing than it appears

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

Takeover: Explaining the Extraordinary Rise of the SNP has good reviews but I've not read it myself

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

if there's any legit good books on the rise of the SNP please post em.

nationalism is a disease

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Vitamin P posted:

Dogatron posted:

This is probably coming from intubating to many happy hypoxics. And then watching them die.

I mean hypoxia-induced brain damage is certainly one possible explanation for Rangers fans.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Totally love how every time Scotland gets mentioned in the thread a bunch of people crawl out of the woodwork to tell us all how nationalism is a disease, very normal and cool.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Shyrka posted:

Totally love how every time Scotland gets mentioned in the thread a bunch of people crawl out of the woodwork to tell us all how nationalism is a disease, very normal and cool.

Nationalism is a disease, but weirdly they never seem very fussed by British nationalism, at least not to the same degree. You certainly don't see British nationalist politicians Photoshopped poorly onto the cover of Mein Kampf, like Kieth or Priti Patel. Just a funny oversight I'm sure.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
like Scots did have the opportunity to gently caress off 6 years ago and they chose to stick with this shitshow lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
if there is a border poll in NI i am fuckin OFF. it's not even nationalism anymore it's just pragmatism lol

i'll still post shite here probably just to keep yous informed

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
anyway you scots only have like 2x the population of NI how do you manage to make so much of a fuss about yourselves lol you didn't even have a civil war

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

crispix posted:

like Scots did have the opportunity to gently caress off 6 years ago and they chose to stick with this shitshow lol

i mean a lot of people never thought it would get this bad, it's tragic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crispix posted:

anyway you scots only have like 2x the population of NI how do you manage to make so much of a fuss about yourselves lol you didn't even have a civil war

Ironic being a oval office is still being a oval office.