Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile

A couple of notes from last night:
  • re Lord Kuruku: a pathologically lonely and bitter person using the power of hate to turn people into puppets and break up families is a very heavy methaphor that kind of eluded me while I was watching.
  • re Unico: he is a truly tragic hero, because even though he can overcome great evil and spread love and friendship, he can never enjoy the peace and harmony that he brings, instead being whisked away to yet another desolate lonely world in need of his help.
  • re me: I am a cat, and that's why I sing, sing a song, a song of meow meow meow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

^^^Excellent points all.

I keep finding myself going over the details of Lord Kuruku's ending. Yes, Unico saved the day with empathy and friendship, but he did also power-gore that puppet-wizard something fierce. There was that moment where Unico's like "but I barely touched you?" and Lord Kuruku is screaming "this is not just a scratch!!!" and then he starts deflating. Ultimately I'm not sure whether it was love or mortal wounding that saved the day, it kind of seems like a strategic combination of both.

It makes me reconsider my stance on justice, maybe it has a more complicated relationship with kindness than I thought.

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
You can rewrite the cat song to be about anything. Any animal you want. For example here is a good song to sing to my dog, King Francis, or for him to sing to himself:

quote:

My ears are soft,
My butt is bad
My nose is wet as hell.
And every day
I sing this song
and do it very well.

I am Fran
and that is why
I
Sing this song
This song of bow wow wow.

Sing this song
This song of bow wow wow.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

Prof. Crocodile

How Wonderful! posted:

You can rewrite the cat song to be about anything. Any animal you want. For example here is a good song to sing to my dog, King Francis, or for him to sing to himself:

It is my belief that this is what all animals are saying when they bark or meow or quack or whatever.

Delta-Wye

my cat is norris posted:

I'll keep an eye on the thread! I am new to BYOB and am only here because I wisely followed an intriguing advertisement.

i too am easily influenced by advertisements, especially when they're advertising being chill and having a good time. hello byob, lookin' forward to a movie night

Fatkraken

Fun-time is over.
ah Unico looks like it was fun, shoulda stayed up for it but GMT is BYOB-Movie Hardmode

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I jeep forgetting BYOB movie night is a think smh

BoldFrankensteinMir

Fatkraken posted:

ah Unico looks like it was fun, shoulda stayed up for it but GMT is BYOB-Movie Hardmode

Yeah, sorry about that, I know it isn't the most convenient time worldwide, but it was the best compromise we could come up with having American, European and Australian viewers simultaneously. 5PM here is 10am tomorrow morning downunda, but I'm no less very glad to have the brunch bunch along. And you too, friend!

Prof. Crocodile

Hmm. Maybe 2 nights, one for each hemisphere? Surely BFM has a European alt account to take up the mantle... PassiveDraculaDir maybe?

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Hmm. Maybe 2 nights, one for each hemisphere? Surely BFM has a European alt account to take up the mantle... PassiveDraculaDir maybe?

This is not a bad idea, especially now that we've got sizable groups every night. If an Eastern Hemisphere goon wants to host a mirror showing I'd be all about it (we'd have to start a separate PSP channel because they're associated by user but oh well, big deal).

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight, at 4pm PST, 7pm EST, Midnight GMT, join us in http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies for another BYOB movie night, as we enter the last week of Janimation Anuary! Continuing efforts to highlight historic international cinema, tonight's films are both Soviet-era Russian animated pictures considered to be all-time masterpieces. We're starting with 1962's The Wild Swans:

There are a bunch of soviet era animated faerie tales and even specifically Hans Christian Andersen adaptations like this (we might watch one or two of the shorter ones as well) but The Wild Swans stands out for a bunch of reasons: it's almost feature-length, it was made by a husband-and-wife team, Mikhail Tsekhanovsky and Vera Tsekhanovskaya, and perhaps weirdest of all it's in widescreen, which is utterly bizarre given the time and place but there it is anyway. And I got us a version with decent subs this time!

Then, we'll be watching 1952's The Scarlet Flower:

This one is interesting for different reasons, it's part of the 1950's push for "national epics" wherein Russian animators were compelled to draw from folklore and faerie tales for nationalistic reasons (hence a Sergei Aksakov story instead of one by Andersen, a Dane). But because of that it got some resources apparently, because as far as I can tell the entire thing is rotoscoped, which blows my freaking mind. It's not even 40 minutes but still, they shot every single character in this thing in live-action and then traced the frames with specially built tables. I'm really looking forward to this one, the clips I watched were astonishing.

Plus soviet shorts! I never pass up a chance to show goodies like Yuri Norstein's Hedgehog in the Fog. Hope to see you there friends! And Happy Saturday!!!

Edit- oh and since we have some new folks, remember that shorts start fifteen minutes to a half hour before the listed time. Just like an old-timey movie!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 23, 2021

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh boy oh boy I'm gonna have to make sure to be there.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Movie night has begun! Rum pa pum paa rum pa pum rraaaaa rum pum pum!

Sig by Heather Papps

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Those were both good movies, very nice animation and stories

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I really like that 50's soviet artwork. Very classic fairy-tale style.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Just a heads-up, I'm probably gonna cycle to a new PSP-TV URL this week because the comments log just keeps growing and growing otherwise and eventually might break. It's just something we should probably do every couple months with as much mileage as we put on the thing.

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Just a heads-up, I'm probably gonna cycle to a new PSP-TV URL this week because the comments log just keeps growing and growing otherwise and eventually might break. It's just something we should probably do every couple months with as much mileage as we put on the thing.

there's no way you can just delete the log or something? That's weird.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Leraika posted:

there's no way you can just delete the log or something? That's weird.

Not from what I'm seeing in the menu options, but if there is a way to do so I'd be glad to know of it. I did find a raw text version of the log but it's not editable.

Sig by Heather Papps

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Just FYI the chat is probably fine, there's long term chat 24 hope channels that have been up and running and in constant use for all least 4 years to my knowledge.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Kief Richards posted:

Just FYI the chat is probably fine, there's long term chat 24 hope channels that have been up and running and in constant use for all least 4 years to my knowledge.

Hmm, okay, you're probably right. Never mind then, we'll just keep using this one! Thanks!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4 PM PST, 7 EST, Midnight GMT, join us for another Coupons&Deals Movie Nite at http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies!

For the penultimate night of Janimation Anuary, we're gonna watch two films that are so terrible you may not want to be my friends anymore after you've suffered through them! First, a German animated feature from 1992, Die Abenteuer von Pico & Columbus (in English, for some reason, "The Magic Voyage"):

There's a very, very slight chance this movie was okay in the original German, but we're watching a dub; not even the original English dub, but a secondary American-English one that is just so hideous it must be heard to be believed! They badly re-translated the whole thing, shoehorned new songs in that don't fit and make no sense, and even the sound effects are an F-minus-minus effort. It features Dom DeLuise as Christopher Columbus, with a campy Italian accent so bad it sounds like Mario rambling on a rabies-sweat soaked hospital cot. This movie somehow manages to fit racism, sexism, AND colonialism into almost every poorly-done scene, but that's not even the cruddiest part! It also has quite honestly the worst songs I've ever heard in any movie, ever! You may wish to have something handy to punch/stab/strangle in rage as we suffer through this god-awful mess together.

But, save your deathwishes for the end, folks, because our second film is a horrifyingly bad direct-to-dumpster Brazillian ripoff of Kung Fu Panda from 2008, entitled The Little Panda Fighter!

A CGI production that wouldn't have impressed in the 90's, critics have called The Little Panda Fighter "a trashy uninspired rip-off" with dialog that "physically hurts". Get ready to be unhappy to be alive, because this one is some serious brain poison. You will never be the same after surviving The Little Panda Fighter!

See you there tonight friends, popcorn bags in one hand and barf bags in the other! Remember, all ticket sales are final! :siren:YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!:siren:

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

A CGI production that wouldn't have impressed in the 90's, critics have called The Little Panda Fighter "a trashy uninspired rip-off" with dialog that "physically hurts". Get ready to be unhappy to be alive, because this one is some serious brain poison. You will never be the same after surviving The Little Panda Fighter!

See you there tonight friends, popcorn bags in one hand and barf bags in the other! Remember, all ticket sales are final! :siren:YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!:siren:

"I DON'T CARE HOW MANY FINGERS A PANDA SHOULD HAVE, THINK OF THE MONEY WE'LL SAVE ONLY RENDERING 3!!!"

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

biosterous

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Papa Was A Video Toaster

Movie Night is now a regular thing! Next showing is Wednesday January 25 at 4:00 PM PST/ 7:00 PM EST/ Midnight GMT

BoldFrankensteinMir

Haha whoops my bad. Sorry!

Cartoons have begun! http://psp-tv.com/r/BYOBmovies

Edit- Fixed!

Sig by Heather Papps

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas
Bear nipple hypothesis

Conclusion: bad

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

biosterous

again, i say,

gallery of sigs

he/him

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Awesomely bad movies, BFM, thanks for hosting! The Little Panda fighter was one of the creepiest cartoons I've ever imagined.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I can't believe Dom Deluise needed a paycheck that bad.

I CAN believe that the bear movie has 40 minutes of sexually suggestive scenes somewhere on a cutting room floor.

biosterous

How Wonderful! posted:

Bear nipple hypothesis

i think the placement is off,

looks much better imo

gallery of sigs

he/him

Pigsfeet on Rye
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
For those who couldn't be bothered to see a masterpiece of CGI, see this:
https://awfulmovies.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Little_Panda_Fighter

Heather Papps

hello friend

help i watched the little panda fighter and now i have to live with that fact

BoldFrankensteinMir

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

For those who couldn't be bothered to see a masterpiece of CGI, see this:
https://awfulmovies.miraheze.org/wiki/The_Little_Panda_Fighter

"The Only Redeeming Qualities" posted:

3.Polaris is an interesting and good character.

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

These movies were very disorienting, like they were from some other world where there is no visual coherence, sentences don't work together, and worms have legs and eyebrows.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Now I want Pana Cotta

Manifisto

How Wonderful! posted:

Bear nipple hypothesis

this is an outrage, I need to see it from more angles and positions in order to fully formulate how vile it is

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Hello I am Freak Teddy

cruft

One day I will be able to watch the movie with y'all, and it will be glorious (to me, at least)!

Heather Papps

hello friend

How Wonderful! posted:

Bear nipple hypothesis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

paging treasure bear for confirmation