Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

STR posted:

That's when you pull the skid plate and look for another van. :v:

More likely I'd get something like an older Sequoia, which should go where I want with minimal modifications. Or maybe an Outback? I'm 6' and need to be able to sleep in the back and enjoy it.

I will miss the small size of the Sienna if I have to get rid of it. You'd think it was a big vehicle, but it's really just a very fat Camry. Turning a Sequoia around on a trail is going to be a pain in the rear end. Ugh, and its gas mileage is probably a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mileage on my Outback isn't very good either, and the turning radius is probably the same, if not worse. At least going by my 2003. I average ~18 mpg in it (with the 2.5 + automatic), though most of my driving is ~2-3 mile trips.

The AWD is pretty good though. The back seat can fold completely flat, if you flip the bottom part of it up (there's a pull to flip it up on the 00-04, it usually gets buried under the seat). I can lay down in the back comfortably so long as there's some bedding, though I'm only 5'8. You'd probably have to lay down diagonally.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 20, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'd vote sequoia. I've never had a 2.5 Subaru that got over 23mpg (and that was only possible on 95% highway trips) and those sequoias are really well put together and do pretty well offroad in stock config.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ryanrs posted:

More likely I'd get something like an older Sequoia, which should go where I want with minimal modifications. Or maybe an Outback? I'm 6' and need to be able to sleep in the back and enjoy it.

I will miss the small size of the Sienna if I have to get rid of it. You'd think it was a big vehicle, but it's really just a very fat Camry. Turning a Sequoia around on a trail is going to be a pain in the rear end. Ugh, and its gas mileage is probably a war crime.

FWIW I'm 6" and slept pretty well in a $2k 2000 pathfinder, not too hard to knock together a removable plywood bed. The plus is pathfinders don't seem to want to die easily and have great 4WD.

I have a stupid question because I am a stupid man: While (very slowly) replacing suspension on an 04 Tacoma the rubber bushings just would not go into the rear strut eyelets. So I used some red and tacky #2 lithium grease to push them in. Now I'm reading this will degrade the rubber and turn it to goo. If I pull the bushings out, wipe everything off with rags and soap and water and regrease with silicone should the rubber be okay or do I need new bushings? My gut tells me this should be fine but has anyone dealt with grease and rubber before?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Really depends on the exact rubber composition. I've seen some that turn to goop when exposed to oils, but a little may not affect things much. I'd probably pull them and wash but reuse them because what the hell, you can't return them now and you might as well get some use out of them.

The sway bar bushings on the left side of my Comanche are totally swollen and falling apart from a few years of trans fluid and power steering fluid leaking on them, for example, while the right side are dry and crunchy. But if yours are made from a polymer that doesn't give a poo poo about oils you don't need to do anything.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Makes sense. If they're all pitted and fucky after a few days of contact then I guess I just learn my lesson.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Can I have some opinions on jaguar xk8 1997-2006 please?

I know its a slow old barge but this car has great nostalgic value for me. Tempting to buy one that is currently on sale for cheap (almost half price). It had some collision repairs (rear fender got hit almost inside the trunk, there were damaged suspensions parts too i think) but uncertain about quality of the repairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Is half price really low enough for a 20 year old Jag?

If you can do your own work and this is a fun car that you're not going to rely on for anything go for it. If you're trying to use this as a regular vehicle you're going to be very disappointed. And poor.

That motor in particular has some really pain in the rear end parts that you're not gonna be able to find easily that love to go bad. The fuel rails were indefinitely backordered that last time I checked (which to be fair was a while ago) and are made like such poo poo just about every one of these cars you walk past smell like a fuel spill.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Update the timing set on the AJ8 to the post 2005 models. It requires special tools unless you're really loving good with a degree wheel and a paint pen.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

One of the wheel studs broke on one of my hubs and I can't change it until next week. How bad is it to drive on that until I get it changed? The other 3 wheels have all 5 studs.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

It’s not great, but it’s probably fine.

Why did it break? Make sure all of the other lugs are in good shape and appropriately torqued, and take it easy on it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

net work error posted:

One of the wheel studs broke on one of my hubs and I can't change it until next week. How bad is it to drive on that until I get it changed? The other 3 wheels have all 5 studs.

Probably fine, but don't corner too hard.

Buy a couple spare studs if you're there.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Krakkles posted:

It’s not great, but it’s probably fine.

Why did it break? Make sure all of the other lugs are in good shape and appropriately torqued, and take it easy on it.

Tires were being rotated and the lug got bound to the stud so the only way to take it off was the break the stud. This isn't the first time it's happened so I think I'm going to change the lugs from the OEM ones to something else.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

That sounds less bad than if the stud broke on the road due to over-tightening or similar.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

net work error posted:

Tires were being rotated and the lug got bound to the stud so the only way to take it off was the break the stud. This isn't the first time it's happened so I think I'm going to change the lugs from the OEM ones to something else.

Or lay off on the braaaap

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I've been reading about using ammonia to remove rust from rusty iron. You soak the metal in the ammonia till the rust is able to be washed away.

Is this a good order of steps?

1. Soak in ammonia for hours/days till rust is removable.

2. Wash in soapy water and rinse with clean water.

3. Let dry.

4. Primer and/or paint.

Am I missing any steps?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I normally do rust with vinegar soak, then just use normal cold running water to rinse, and dry immediately with a towel

I've never needed it to be perfect, just "good enough", so idk, ammonia could be better

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ammonia removes rust? Does it act like a chelating agent or something?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So I just did pads/rotors on my 2017 Explorer and the Ford FSM says to replace the caliper bracket bolts with new ones. I did that of course, but I had a hell of a time finding the rear bolts at an auto parts store. Autozone didn't even have them in the computer, Napa was a special order, and O'Reily had them at a warehouse locally and got them to the store in about 6 hours.

I'm guessing almost no one actually replaces those bolts and I would have been find throwing some blue/orange loctite on them and torqueing them back to spec?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

simplefish posted:

I normally do rust with vinegar soak, then just use normal cold running water to rinse, and dry immediately with a towel

I've never needed it to be perfect, just "good enough", so idk, ammonia could be better

Doh, meant vinegar.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

If you want to go the acid route, you can also buy 32% hydrochloric acid on Amazon. It fumes when you pour it and will gently caress you up if you are careless.

What I actually use to remove rust: Evapo-Rust. It's a water-based chelator and it works well. It will not gently caress you up, but will prob stain your carpet real bad if you spill it.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

There are a bunch of different methods, I have a guy on Facebook recommending I soak the parts in molasses to remove the rust. Which sounds sticky to me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PeterCat posted:

There are a bunch of different methods, I have a guy on Facebook recommending I soak the parts in molasses to remove the rust. Which sounds sticky to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dzlE9-9DVE

It does indeed work, just very slowly.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

skipdogg posted:

So I just did pads/rotors on my 2017 Explorer and the Ford FSM says to replace the caliper bracket bolts with new ones. I did that of course, but I had a hell of a time finding the rear bolts at an auto parts store. Autozone didn't even have them in the computer, Napa was a special order, and O'Reily had them at a warehouse locally and got them to the store in about 6 hours.

I'm guessing almost no one actually replaces those bolts and I would have been find throwing some blue/orange loctite on them and torqueing them back to spec?

You guess correctly! It's a manufacturer CYA thing, just like axle nuts.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My first thought was that they might be torque to yield, but I've never seen that outside head bolts, so I'm glad someone with knowledge weighed in.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I have a car that has been sitting for a while (~6 months) , that I plan on fixing up and selling. The inspection ran out in September, is it possible/legal in NYS to insure a car for a short period of time (say a week) just to legally get it inspected, and then cancel it? Not sure it'd be worth it to keep paying insurance while I'm trying to sell the car but I would very much like to get a fresh inspection sticker on there.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

As long as it is legally:
- owned by you
-registered to you;

then you can add it to your policy.

Leave it on there until it is sold.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

My insurance actually went down a little when I added a liability-only vehicle I never drive. Make sure the insurance company knows you drive it only 10 miles/month or whatever.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I've got a 2009 Tacoma, 137500 miles, just got some new all terrain tires on it. These are noticeably quieter than my last set but it seems like there's some excess noise coming from the left front. If I turn to the right, the sound goes away. Initial googling indicates it might be a bearing going out. There's no steering wheel vibration so I don't think it's an unbalanced tire. Anything else it might be?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Wheel bearing is a good start. I had similar issues with my Corolla. I can't really think of anything else offhand it could be. *maybe* a CV joint if its 4wd?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had both front CV axles replaced within the last 2-3 years, seems unlikely they would have gone bad already

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah it's the hub. Time for a new hub. Hopefully, it's a bolt-on. If not - if the hub bearing pressed in - then buy a new inner spindle. I replaced two bearings on my son's '00 Accord and they both went bad within a few days. I suspect that I deformed the spindle while hammering it out, and when pressing in the new bearing assembly, it deformed the races a little. And I was very, very careful to apply force to the outer edge of the race.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

cursedshitbox posted:

Update the timing set on the AJ8 to the post 2005 models. It requires special tools unless you're really loving good with a degree wheel and a paint pen.

Thanks! This is an interesting thing.
Do you have a lot of experience with these engines? Are there any more "caveats"? The car is said to be officially serviced at a dealership, with 130k kms (~80k miles).

Motronic posted:

Is half price really low enough for a 20 year old Jag?

If you can do your own work and this is a fun car that you're not going to rely on for anything go for it. If you're trying to use this as a regular vehicle you're going to be very disappointed. And poor.

That motor in particular has some really pain in the rear end parts that you're not gonna be able to find easily that love to go bad. The fuel rails were indefinitely backordered that last time I checked (which to be fair was a while ago) and are made like such poo poo just about every one of these cars you walk past smell like a fuel spill.

I have a spare engine in another country. And like, half of the car. What's left from my dad's xk8 after his death. I had to scrap the car itself but removed a lot of stuff beforehand.
I do have a reliable daily, a semi-reliable one and was thinking if I should pull the trigger or nah. They were priced like 6-8k usd a few years ago but now are almost 12k, with this example being 6.
Very very interested in buying it but...Idk. Maybe my depression kicks in, maybe I will finally feel something again after buying it.
It's not like it's my first or last project car anyway...I will have to borrow money from family to buy it though but it feels like one of a kind right now.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Erulisse posted:

I will have to borrow money from family to buy it though but it feels like one of a kind right now.

I know this isn't BFC but.....if you have to borrow money you absolutely can not afford a $6,000 jag.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I wouldn't (I hate owing someone something) but the car just popped up and was not budgeted for. Repairs are done myself and parts money can be taken out of other project car budgets.
You know, regular multiple project car guy (stupid moron type) shenanigans. Also it wouldn't need much as it's not a daily. It will be in thorough inspection and revision till at least summer time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No, seriously.

Motronic posted:

I know this isn't BFC but.....if you have to borrow money you absolutely can not afford a $6,000 jag.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Erulisse posted:

Thanks! This is an interesting thing.
Do you have a lot of experience with these engines? Are there any more "caveats"? The car is said to be officially serviced at a dealership, with 130k kms (~80k miles).

I have a spare engine in another country. And like, half of the car. What's left from my dad's xk8 after his death. I had to scrap the car itself but removed a lot of stuff beforehand.
I do have a reliable daily, a semi-reliable one and was thinking if I should pull the trigger or nah. They were priced like 6-8k usd a few years ago but now are almost 12k, with this example being 6.
Very very interested in buying it but...Idk. Maybe my depression kicks in, maybe I will finally feel something again after buying it.
It's not like it's my first or last project car anyway...I will have to borrow money from family to buy it though but it feels like one of a kind right now.

dude this is like a May Day parade.

1) buying a jag won't fix your depression
2) armchair therapist and all but this is clearly related to the death of your dad... figure that out in a cheaper and healthier way
3) borrowing money to buy a (poo poo) jag

edit 4) you have a spare engine in another country, that's quite useful i suspect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

I'll be first to lol at someone who would say this purchase will fix anything.
It's a poo poo jag, yeah. Just has more nostalgic value to me and my family over like, an bnr33 which I love and hope to own one day too.
I'll just keep waiting for a better one to come up.

Thanks, AI.