Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Something unexpected happening is an "edge case" and therefore doesn't matter. Science bazinga!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

now this is cyberpunk
Self-driving cars will have algorithms that dictate safety and will likely communicate with each other on the road. Real cyberpunk poo poo is having your car hack the cars around you to give priority to your car for both speed and safety. Or forcing the other car to crash instead of yours.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Praise the Omnissiah.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gripweed posted:

self-driving trucks will never be perfected. Within your lifetime you will not see self-driving automobiles that re better than the average human driver in real world conditions.

But I do hope self-driving trucks are forced on us anyway. Just because that would give rise to gangs who wait on highways in cell phone dead zones, and when a truck comes they run out and put a big black tarp on the ground to trick the truck into thinking the road has ended and then tear the thing open and steal all the cargo. And that would be cool.

I love that the future isn't going to be cyberpunk but Wile E. Coyote. Roving gangs putting up fake free recharging stations with enormous cages hanging over them, fake roads painted onto cliff faces. poo poo's going to be awesome.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

Something unexpected happening is an "edge case" and therefore doesn't matter. Science bazinga!

As an experienced QA engineer, I can confirm

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

Self-driving cars performed better than human drivers five years ago.

Wake me when anyone’s self‐driving system goes ninety million miles without a fatal crash.

That’s the general U.S. average with human drivers. Last I heard, Waymo was leading the pack and had only logged twenty million miles.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
For being the central MacGuffin for multiple books, the One Ring doesn't even do anything particularly interesting. If I'm an evil wizard with an army of monsters, what advantages does temporary invisibility actually grant me? Getting inside places I'm not allowed? That's what the orcs are for, dummy.

It's like the Magic Cape in the SNES Zelda; nice to have, but the least essential thing in your arsenal. Give Frodo a magic boomerang it something.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jan 23, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I always thought that it only gave invisibility because it was being used by a couple of random hobbits and if you were someone more powerful you’d get more powerful abilities as a result

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Nameless Pete posted:

For being the central MacGuffin for multiple books, the One Ring doesn't even do anything particularly interesting. If I'm an evil wizard with an army of monsters, what advantages does temporary invisibility actually grant me? Getting inside places I'm not allowed? That's what the orcs are for, dummy.

It's like the Magic Cape in the SNES Zelda; nice to have, but the least essential thing in your arsenal. Give Frodo a magic boomerang it something.

I'm not a lord of the rings guy, but that's what it did for Frodo and Bilbo because theyre just dumb hobbits. For other people it did more stuff.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The ring doesn’t turn you invisible, that’s a tiny side effect of it’s real purpose of granting you access to the weird shadowy realm Frodo ends up in whenever he wears it. If you’re not a dumb hobbit you gain more powers and abilities. Sauron isn’t invisible it just allows him to fully manifest his power and, if you know the trick, allows him to dominate the minds of other Ringbearers and whatnot.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Welp, I can admit when I'm wrong. I still find it unimpressive by magic ring standards. Aladdin's ring had a genie who could pick up a castle and plop it ontop of a mountain; that's my baseline.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This Sauron guy, have you seen this have you heard about this? Guy drops his ring and can't find it for like a thousand years?! What, did it roll under the fridge? Sauron, more like moron!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Sauron should have just worn the ring inside his gauntlet so nobody knew what finger to cut off.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or around his neck on a tasteful gold chain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah and Gandalf doesn’t even cast any fireballs! LAAAAME.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Yeah how come galfdalf says he's a wizard and dresses like a wizard but the best he can do is make a magic flashlight in a cave

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He sets a tree on fire in the hobbit. How would a normal human even do that

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

He claims to be not just a conjuror of cheap tricks, but based on the movies that's kind of like me saying i'm good at my job.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
Warm Beer is the best way to drink beer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Defenistrator posted:

Warm Beer is the best way to drink beer.

This disgusts me almost as much as the people that can drink warm temperature coffee without dry heaving.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hobbits picking up the One Ring and using it for invisibility is like a monkey picking up a cell phone and using it as a flashlight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
LotR magic in general is not super flashy, the flashy stuff is mostly the product of the rings, which were created by Sauron's power or methodology. Until the fall the actual magical thing we read about Gandalf (that wasn't a product of his ring) was him attempting to order the door to stay closed with a word of Command, but the balrog is able to break this spell. After the fall though he apparently is near indestructible and just has an innate ability to control the minds and actions of the people around him should he choose. It is inferred in the book that he would have had the ability to stand toe to toe with the Witch-King of Angmar but of course the madness of Denethor kept him from testing that.

Rick has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Jan 23, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Obviously that'll lead to Wells Fargo stagecoach levels of security where the truck will enter "self defense mode" and accelerate through anything and everything in its way until it makes it to the destination.

Oh man I can't wait for Johnny Future iiiinnn "The Train Job" :clint:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah and Gandalf doesn’t even cast any fireballs! LAAAAME.

Yeah he's the shittest wizard ever but literally everything in LotR is the shittest version of whatever they are.

Opinion: the mittens are ugly

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Jan 23, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the rings power is mind control and domination by enslaving others to things they desire

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The biggest hurdle for self driving cars will be getting human drivers off the road. it's all or nothing imo. It'll never work in any substantial way as a mix.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The lord of the rings films were so much better than the books that the books might as well not exist creating a universe where there is no more lord of the rings

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The lord of the rings films were so much better than the books that the books might as well not exist creating a universe where there is no more lord of the rings

the opposite is true

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sauron should have just worn the ring inside his gauntlet so nobody knew what finger to cut off.

In the book he is defeated first and the Ring taken off his corpse. Elendil and Gil-Galad did most of the work but there were others there too like Elrond, Isildur, etc.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Nobody actually likes Lord of the Rings that isn't an insufferable nerd. Not one single interesting person can rattle off the names of the elves.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

the opposite is true

:hai:

Christopher Lee: famously an uninteresting nerd

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

doverhog posted:

In the book he is defeated first and the Ring taken off his corpse. Elendil and Gil-Galad did most of the work but there were others there too like Elrond, Isildur, etc.

He sounds like a bit of a pussy tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

fizzymercy posted:

Nobody actually likes Lord of the Rings that isn't an insufferable nerd. Not one single interesting person can rattle off the names of the elves.

Don't even have to google, the Council of Elrond was made up of Galadriel, Radagast, Teclis, Spock, Piccolo, Dobby, Bjork, Nicky Santoro, and Gamora.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fizzymercy posted:

Not true, I'm not a nerd and I remember Sleepy, Bashful, Dopey, and uhh Happy?

E: Grumpy & Doc. Who the gently caress was the seventh elf?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Gilenya, Naproxen, Cymbalta, Invokana, Lyrica, Rybelsus, Lexapro, and Xanax

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol.

C-c-c-c-c-cocaine!

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This disgusts me almost as much as the people that can drink warm temperature coffee without dry heaving.

Good coffee can taste really good when lukewarm or even cold. You can taste more of the flavors of the coffee when it isn't hot.

Bad coffee is not great though when lukewarm or cold. Just tastes burnt.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

Same except about anyone who thinks star trek is better than stargate. I can name all kinds of goaulds and whatnot and I have it on good authority that I am very interesting.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
People think Star Trek is better than Stargate? That's silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't think anybody thinks Star Trek is better than Stargate. Because that would require being aware of Stargate.