Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok cool, thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there a Mac app that can somehow display both the dock and notifications across a dual monitor setup?

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I basically hate using the rodent so my fingers should not move from keyboard ideally so since Mac is a Unix-like are there any guides or tips to maintain this workflow as much as possible?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Pretty sure those are all unchecked by default, and they're nowhere near as convenient as windows's keyboard shortcuts, but they're there.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
What sort of stuff do you do? If you live in the terminal it's pretty easy. 95% of my usage is in two apps: Safari or Terminal. I've not put any effort into going completely mouse-free because I'm on a laptop and the trackpad is right there. Going mouse-free in Terminal would be straight forward however (I'm making an assumption in that if you're asking this, you're no stranger to command-line stuff). Extensions similar to Vimium will help you on the browser front. Other than that, use Spotlight at every opportunity, use Spaces, learn the keyboard shortcuts for switching spaces/apps/windows/tabs, and for whatever apps you use.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

What was the name of that Photoshop alternative that's good and you only pay once? Might have started with an A?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bobstar posted:

What was the name of that Photoshop alternative that's good and you only pay once? Might have started with an A?

Affinity Photo

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That's the one, thanks!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Free for 90 days now as well

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/90-day-affinity-trial/

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I just got affinity photo yesterday, its refreshing how cheap it is compared to buying into the whole adobe bullshit and how quick it was to get up to speed.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Security company that won fair use case against Apple for its iOS virualization technology has developed a full, native M1 Ubuntu Linux branch..

https://corellium.com/blog/linux-m1

https://9to5mac.com/2021/01/20/m1-macs-can-now-run-full-version-of-linux-thanks-to-new-corellium-port/

No hardware acceleration and no WiFi support (network support only possible with USB-C dongle) but its not a bad first effort..

They had to jump through hoops to get Linux to work with Apple's boot process and hardware but due to their virtual familiarity with Axx processors, they were able to work out solutions.

You need an M1 Mac Mini, at least a 16 GB USB drive, and a USB-C to Ethernet dongle to install.

No word yet as to whether you can do this on an M1 Air or Pro, they only seem to cite being able to do it on a M1 Mini, since they add that they don't support the USB-A ports on that model.

Edit: according to a one-line reply from an unknown Twitter user in France, 'the target is the Mini for now'

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jan 21, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I cant wait to run a creaky version of Linux on unsupported, undocumented hardware with no acceleration

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I cant wait to run a creaky version of Linux on unsupported, undocumented hardware with no acceleration

I, too, own a raspberry pi

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I, too, own a raspberry pi

i think those are fairly well documented

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Last Chance posted:

i think those are fairly well documented

They are still unreliable. They loved them at my old job for some drat reason. Just use old micro PC's or something they work much better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they are definitely hobbyist machines, andI'm always baffled when I hear about them used in critical tasks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Last Chance posted:

they are definitely hobbyist machines, andI'm always baffled when I hear about them used in critical tasks

They also used Kindles to control a $500,000 paintbooth. The lovely black and white ones. Ironically to choose colors.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That.. That's a new one to me. The e-ink Kindle? That is hardcore.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm looking for a way to de-duplicate my Safari bookmarks. I have a "tmp" folder that I throw poo poo in when I'm just trying to purge tabs and it's gotten pretty massive, some way to sort it and/or auto-dedupe would be really helpful. I found https://www.url-manager.com/index.html which seems pretty good but is $35, which feels excessive for a single-purpose tool. Are there any other good options?
I guess I could just export them as HTML and use command line tools to sort and dedupe but if there's some ≤$10 option that would make it easy, I'm all for it.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
Linux on m1 is cool for when it's unsupported, seems real dumb to run it now when you can run linux in osx. I'm interested to know how what the virtualization overhead is though, I expect it to be better to than x86.

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

still no fortran linear algebra though

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I don't see this option, did they remove it in Big Sur?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8228102

Choose Keychain Access > Preferences, then click General.
Select Show keychain status in menu bar."

All I have under preferences is "search directory services for certificates"

I want to stop having it appear in the menu bar when I put in a password

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

They are still unreliable. They loved them at my old job for some drat reason. Just use old micro PC's or something they work much better.
Wild guess would be that theyre cheap (whether the Pis or the purchasers or both).

Bob Morales posted:

They also used Kindles to control a $500,000 paintbooth. The lovely black and white ones. Ironically to choose colors.
...please tell me they were the slightly cheaper ad supported ones.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
I just bought an M1 macbook. I have iTerm2 and ZSH installed and homebrew is installing now... What other poo poo do I need to do on a fresh Mac to get it ready to go?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I recommend BetterTouchTool and BBEdit.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i like oh my zsh with spaceship on my terminal

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've literally never used Mission Control before and feel like maybe I should. What do people use it for? I can't think of any real use for it but that could be due to me not knowing it's power

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nobody uses it. Im shocked its still even in the OS

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use it to move windows/safari tabs from one space to another by dragging them to the top of the screen, thats pretty handy

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

in big sur does itunes/music still open up automatically when connecting to bluetooth, with no way to fix it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

actionjackson posted:

in big sur does itunes/music still open up automatically when connecting to bluetooth, with no way to fix it?

Ive literally never experienced this

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That is the Bluetooth device sending an automatic play music command upon connecting. Ive never had it happen on any of my stuff either, but apparently some Bluetooth speakers do it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

I've literally never used Mission Control before and feel like maybe I should. What do people use it for? I can't think of any real use for it but that could be due to me not knowing it's power

I find its a nice way to quickly jump between apps, it gets a little fumbly on two screens but I use it a lot when just working on the laptop with limited screen real estate.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Ive literally never experienced this

it's an issue with my yamaha bluetooth receiver, fortunately I found this to prevent it

https://github.com/tombonez/noTunes

not only did it open it, it started playing

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

ArcticZombie posted:

What sort of stuff do you do? If you live in the terminal it's pretty easy. 95% of my usage is in two apps: Safari or Terminal. I've not put any effort into going completely mouse-free because I'm on a laptop and the trackpad is right there. Going mouse-free in Terminal would be straight forward however (I'm making an assumption in that if you're asking this, you're no stranger to command-line stuff). Extensions similar to Vimium will help you on the browser front. Other than that, use Spotlight at every opportunity, use Spaces, learn the keyboard shortcuts for switching spaces/apps/windows/tabs, and for whatever apps you use.

I never liked Vimium. So did you do the Oh My ZSH framework? I never bothered to setup .zsh and would enjoy the environment more if putting some effort into making iTerm2 customized.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Empress Brosephine posted:

I use it constantly for dragging files between windows and for checking information on windows that are behind others.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Is expose considered part of mission control? I use that all the time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Control Up-Arrow is a really handy keyboard shortcut.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
How do I prevent Music from stopping playback when I play a stream or video in, for example, VLC? I experienced this feature for the first time today.

FMguru posted:

Control Up-Arrow is a really handy keyboard shortcut.

:aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

decypher posted:

How do I prevent Music from stopping playback when I play a stream or video in, for example, VLC? I experienced this feature for the first time today.

:aaaaa:

I think that's a setting in VLC.