Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brunch Covidian
Nov 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
I'll just have to take a closer look, if it's Trump thread style poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Brunch Covidian posted:

I'll just have to take a closer look, if it's Trump thread style poo poo

is that like dog style poo poo

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

SchnorkIes posted:

is that like dog style poo poo

hmmm

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQleT6BtCbE&t=162s

this is wsb except theres no need to actually sell pumps to people cause they're already there on reddit and discord, primed and ready to take orders, millions of them pumping in unison

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

it’s just ironic meme stock stuff

a bunch of idiots day trading and accidentally establishing market trends once in a while

occasionally someone will blow through a ton of money and that’s always good for a laugh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wondered where all the posts came from, imagine my disappointment.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Wutang-Yutani CORP posted:

What is a 51% attack?

Not much, what’s a 51% attack wi*head explodes*

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

where’s cumshitter

anyways

the only good advice to be had wrt stonks is index funds

and maybe that iron condor thing

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

donating my gamestop earnings to elon

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i thought the clowns in congress had one job, keeping up asset prices

US equities slipped on Friday as euphoria over President Joe Biden’s spending plans gave way to concerns that the final package may be pared down in order to pass through Congress.

On Wall Street, the blue-chip S&P 500 slipped 0.3 per cent, the first time this week the benchmark index has closed lower. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite, meanwhile, traded flat.

Scepticism has grown in recent days about the Democratic party’s ability to get sufficient support to pass the entire $1.9tn package put forward by the Biden administration, given the pushback from Republican lawmakers about the plan. Economists at Oxford Economics expect Congress to eventually pass a $1.2tn programme some time in the first quarter.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
this seems like it could be a big deal

https://twitter.com/nicetryofficer/status/1352672782153342976?s=21

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

seriously tho I generally like your posting smythe but like lolwtf 😂
Minus the cry-laughing emoji.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

wolfs posted:

where’s cumshitter

anyways

the only good advice to be had wrt stonks is index funds

and maybe that iron condor thing

yeah pretty much, unless you want to get really involved and look up poo poo like price/earning ratios and dig into a specific industry and the companies inside of it. but you can also do that with like S&P tech sector ETFs which just replicate offshoots of the S&P 500 that are more sector focused

i vaguely remember iron condor from my studies but thats way more involved than your average individual investor is going to get into. youre simultaneously buying and selling pairs of calls and puts in the hopes that the underlying stock doesnt actually move enough for any of the options to be exercised. your maximum profit comes from little to no movement in the stock price. ideally none of the options you purchase (which you would purchase to mitigate loss) and none of the options you sell (which is where the profit comes from) get exercised.

the simplest explanation is that youre selling options near the money, which fetch a higher price. then you purchase options further out from the price (which are cheaper) to hedge against the loss of the options you sold. so if none of the options get exercised your profit is the sale of the near the money options - the purchase price of out of the money options. investopedia does a good breakdown of this.

from what i understand WSB thinks this is a magical and bulletproof investment strategy but its really just a less risky one (even if its more complicated) with proportionately lower maximum profits and losses

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 06:37 on Jan 23, 2021

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
just a simple example cause i like brushing up my knowledge when people bring this stuff up. i dont know anything about option pricing so these likely arent anything close to real numbers

McDonald's is currently $100

you sell one put option at $95 for $300
you sell one call option at $105 for $300
you buy one put option at $90 for $150
you buy one call option at $110 for $150

all of them expire in exactly two months.

best case scenario: mcdonalds ends anywhere betweeen $96-$104. none of the options are exercised. you make $300 ($600 in option sales - $300 in option purchases). total profit is $300 minus trading fees

worst case scenario: mcdonalds eds anywhere lower than $95 or greater than $105. your maximum loss is $200 (cause you still have the $300 from the sales). because individual options contracts represent 100 shares of stock. so if mcdonalds closes at $90 you pay the option purchaser $5 X $100, and if it drops further future losses are covered by the $90 put option you purchased. the "profit" you make on the $90 option prevents you from losing more than $200. same idea if the stock goes up

cumshitter has issued a correction as of 07:07 on Jan 23, 2021

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

any bet that isnt betting on number going up seems foolish

i bet you $50 that number will go up

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
bet on spacs!

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

space actually has sustainable infinite exponential growth thanks to dark energy, probably.

space is the one thing that could make capitalism really work.... invest in space

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
is there a space spac

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TB_Times/status/1352860386794614784?s=20

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

mila kunis posted:

is there a space spac

virgin galactic used a spac to go public

im not sure if theres other space companies looking to go public though

there are spac etf's for the lazy people that just want to beat your average index but its easy enough to just buy some spacs

edit: i forgot $NPA which is merging with that microsatellite cellular company ast & science that may or may not be vaporware

thats not candy has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Jan 23, 2021

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i got house fomo could someone give me a house

in a non crappy city if possible plz

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

im on the net me boys posted:

I know you’re doing irony or whatever but this post sucked

some ppl gotta learn from admin
https://mobile.twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/1033506727352782849

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

near a subway and a bunch of restaurants and parks and maybe a body of water would be nice thx in advance

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

cool av posted:

space actually has sustainable infinite exponential growth thanks to dark energy, probably.

space is the one thing that could make capitalism really work.... invest in space

no!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZpcdp2v34

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lol

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

uh yeah it seems so. :stare:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Odds on Wall Street introducing new legislature to keep things like the Gamestop trade from happening to them again? Or on /r/wallstreetbets getting shut down?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

lol I wonder if this would apply to teachers

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

super sweet best pal posted:

Odds on Wall Street introducing new legislature to keep things like the Gamestop trade from happening to them again? Or on /r/wallstreetbets getting shut down?

nah big finance needs rubes to hold the bag. the house always win even if some dumb institutional short sellers get squeezed here and there

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't think wall street reads reddit

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

lol I wonder if this would apply to teachers

ugh. probably not, especially in chicago.

Brunch Covidian
Nov 21, 2020

by Pragmatica
Repeat after me: "It's already against the law, they just don't enforce it."

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Where's my loving UI money Joe!!!!

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

i'd prefer 1488 heil hitler, gas the jews, but, well, thats not in that picture unfortunately. :tipshat:

huh?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They're a deep cover nazi who got too comfortable flexing what they can get away with for their online buds, OP

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Jan 23, 2021

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

puve posted:

I don't think wall street reads reddit

they do now lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

mila kunis posted:

is there a space spac

theres a new space themed ARK index. Not on sale yet, but soon.

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot

Smythe posted:

theres a new space themed ARK index. Not on sale yet, but soon.

Better get in on the ground floor of Morgan energy credits

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Fluoride Jones posted:

Better get in on the ground floor of Morgan energy credits

idk wot this is sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Smythe posted:

idk wot this is sorry

play some fuckin Alpha Centauri, Smythe. it’s a good rear end game