Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm okay with Riot balancing out the thirsty female character designs with thirsty male character designs. Eye candy for all preferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Firebert posted:

Also Viego is the Arthas of Runeterra, making him look like Arthas too would just trigger even more complaints

He honestly kind of still does, Arthas as the fallen prince still was vaguely handsome in a ghostly corpse way. Viego just drops the "vaguely" for "definitely" handsome.

Hellioning posted:

4 of the last 5 male champions have been 'hot boy without shirt', except for Aphelious, who is 'hot boy with shirt'.

It also doesn't help that they count VGUs as part of their 'niche vs. broad appeal' thing, so they counted Voli and Fiddle as the monsters from last year.

Yeah, that's a fairly reasonable statement. It is unfortunate because outside Aphelios I actually think all the recent male characters rock. I think Kayn's shirtless thing might also be a design concession to help the fact that as a Darkin he wouldn't be in any clothes at all. The VGU thing is the dumbest part, because if we got a monster alongside Voli and Fiddle it would've broken up the roster nicely anyway.

Besides, we're all ignoring the OG shirtless hot guy, Gragas.

Like, to be reasonable there is a version of Viego whose a full monster, and I'd be all for that version too. I like this one because I think it's a neat subversion, but playing the title straight would also have owned bones. This isn't like Seraphine or Kai'sa or Aphelios, where their visual design flat out stinks and doesn't fit the setting at all. Viego's weird pants aside (and those fit the other monster men like Varus, or as noted Shadow Assassin Kayn, and we've got other characters with leather pants like Lucian. Like, Aphelios straight up should not exist he's utter garbage, Seraphine being a pop-star in Runeterra is bloody ridiculous and she definitely should've been themed after Zaunite Punk Rock, and Kai'sa needed to be more monstrous for her story to make sense, at least as corrupted by the void as Viego appears to have been turned into a ghost.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 23, 2021

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

They've been trying to even up the score wrt cheesecake skins for male champs too, how soon we forget Hot Thresh

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Super Librarian posted:

They've been trying to even up the score wrt cheesecake skins for male champs too, how soon we forget Hot Thresh

Lol

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
It's just kind of a letdown for a character with so much of a story attached to him boils down to a generically hot guy who's only crippling appearance flaw is a tiny hole in his chest and a need to go outside into the sun like how a woman surviving the horrors of an other world that two other characters went mad by looking into it and the other became blue and muscular and weird that she becomes zero suit samus with a jetpack and huge knockers

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Servaetes posted:

It's just kind of a letdown for a character with so much of a story attached to him boils down to a generically hot guy who's only crippling appearance flaw is a tiny hole in his chest and a need to go outside into the sun like how a woman surviving the horrors of an other world that two other characters went mad by looking into it and the other became blue and muscular and weird that she becomes zero suit samus with a jetpack and huge knockers

Well I personally think Viego looks a lot better than Kai'sa, in terms of what his story suggests happened to him. I would've loved like, full on mist king monster man Viego, in fact I do love his full armoured look, I wish there was a way to keep it longer than just in his e. But also he's kind of meant to be attractive for his whole archetype to work, Kai'sa is a survivor of horror, her being attractive is a flaw. Viego is a sexy monster romance lead, if he wasn't sexy he wouldn't fit his whole romantic characterisation.

Even the hole is kind of clever, it's where his wife stabbed him with his sword when he brought her back, and the mist flows out of it endlessly searching for her because he doesn't remember what happened when he put her in the water and he wants his wife. Honestly I think it's the thing they could've done better though, make it a big gaping wound, weeping with black mist and blood, it'd break up the full sexy look without detracting from it and really sell that it's a never healing sword wound.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also I'm surprised that everyone hates Kai'sa, zero suit Samus with shoulder cannons and a togglable helmet is a cool design.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Also I'm surprised that everyone hates Kai'sa, zero suit Samus with shoulder cannons and a togglable helmet is a cool design.

Hate's a strong word in this instance. It's just more of a letdown with her appearance and Viego's where the art team clearly has the capacity for way more interesting stuff (check out LoR concept art: https://sixmorevodka.com/work/legends-of-runeterra-concepts/) but takes the low road because as said in many less words

Super Librarian posted:

gamers are thirsty and riot knows it

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 23, 2021

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
they should've gone with the original zaunite concept for kaisa. this poo poo fucks

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Servaetes posted:

Hate's a strong word in this instance. It's just more of a letdown with her appearance and Viego's where the art team clearly has the capacity for way more interesting stuff (check out LoR concept art: https://sixmorevodka.com/work/legends-of-runeterra-concepts/) but takes the low road because as said in many less words

theres a leshrac in there

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm okay with Riot balancing out the thirsty female character designs with thirsty male character designs. Eye candy for all preferences.

It's not like they stopped making thirsty female designs, so now we just get constant thirst. Like the only champion releases in the last two years that aren't a hot person are a cat and the least threatening centaur I've ever seen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Add a tall vampire lady and all is forgiven, Riot.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hellioning posted:

It's not like they stopped making thirsty female designs, so now we just get constant thirst. Like the only champion releases in the last two years that aren't a hot person are a cat and the least threatening centaur I've ever seen.

That's only the last couple years though, if you go back just a bit further you get Pyke, Ornn and Zoe, and a bit further than that you get Ivern, Kledd and Aurelion Sol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

That's only the last couple years though, if you go back just a bit further you get Pyke, Ornn and Zoe, and a bit further than that you get Ivern, Kledd and Aurelion Sol

True, but it's still been 2 years without a new champion that isn't at least 'cute'. I can definitely sympathize with someone wanting a monster or unattractive champion just to break up the monotony.

I'm still pissed over Rell, the 'heavily armored tank', only being heavily armored half the time.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

ok first game report against a viego: holy poo poo he's easy as hell to gank over and over

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Viego seems purpose made for the jungle anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hellioning posted:

Lillia may be a centaur but her top half is still "conventionally attractive generic anime person" like every other character

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
imagine pretending like you wouldnt gently caress the anime centaur

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
tell me when they come out with an anime centaur that looks like viego

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Kai is cool and good, but her skins let her down and K/DA ensured that she'd be let down forever

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Every new skin Soraka gets makes her more human and attractive. I get it that the hot skins sell more but you can have your massive art team stretch their legs a little too. Your dumb toxic billion dollar conglomerate will still be profitable even with some sub par skin sales.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eh, Soraka started out with Divine Soraka, which is basically 'normal human Soraka', and her most recent skin (outside of the prestige edition) is the Dawnbringer/Nightbringer ones, which have her roughly as nonhuman as base Soraka is. She does have three variations on her basically-human Star Guardian skin, though.

Now, Shyvanna, whose skins all make her white for some reason

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i think ruined king would have been more interesting if he had a dorian grey thing going on where the facade slips and he starts rapidly aging and becoming more monstrous when he gets low

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It kind of has that with his more monstrous form showing when in his Mist, right?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Now, Shyvanna, whose skins all make her white for some reason

Remember when Taric wasn't white.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Kai'sa looks amazing with helmet on tbqh

And we DO have the option of her being permanently helmeted so she works just fine, it's not like the only choice is to have the Lara Croft maximum cleavage look.

Lord_Magmar posted:

He honestly kind of still does, Arthas as the fallen prince still was vaguely handsome in a ghostly corpse way. Viego just drops the "vaguely" for "definitely" handsome.

Yeah, that's a fairly reasonable statement. It is unfortunate because outside Aphelios I actually think all the recent male characters rock. I think Kayn's shirtless thing might also be a design concession to help the fact that as a Darkin he wouldn't be in any clothes at all. The VGU thing is the dumbest part, because if we got a monster alongside Voli and Fiddle it would've broken up the roster nicely anyway.

Besides, we're all ignoring the OG shirtless hot guy, Gragas.

Like, to be reasonable there is a version of Viego whose a full monster, and I'd be all for that version too. I like this one because I think it's a neat subversion, but playing the title straight would also have owned bones. This isn't like Seraphine or Kai'sa or Aphelios, where their visual design flat out stinks and doesn't fit the setting at all. Viego's weird pants aside (and those fit the other monster men like Varus, or as noted Shadow Assassin Kayn, and we've got other characters with leather pants like Lucian. Like, Aphelios straight up should not exist he's utter garbage, Seraphine being a pop-star in Runeterra is bloody ridiculous and she definitely should've been themed after Zaunite Punk Rock, and Kai'sa needed to be more monstrous for her story to make sense, at least as corrupted by the void as Viego appears to have been turned into a ghost.

Out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about Aphelios? I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about him because his design sucks.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Kai'sa is at the 'Children of Dune' point in her arc. She'll be a monster someday

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Transient People posted:

Out of curiosity, why do you feel so strongly about Aphelios? I don't think I've ever seen anyone complain about him because his design sucks.

On every level Aphelios is a character out of place, his actual gameplay is so far from League to be a different game simply because CertainlyT wanted to make one last big hurrah, at least 3 of his weapons could be champions all on their own with unique and interesting mechanics and instead they're all on this one guy. His looks are as bad as Seraphine in terms of how well they fit in with the setting itself, nobody in Targon has clothing like that at all, he literally looks like a Kpop singer, not some secretive moon-gun assassin. His actual characterisation is incredibly boring, between the fact he never talks at all and his sister is the actually interesting connection to the Lunari. Speaking of which, him being Lunari kind of ruins a huge part of Diana's whole thing of being the first Lunari in a long time, and him being a Lunari gun-user feels very strange considering every other Targon character either uses star magic, or has melee weapons.

Overall, he's an awkard design that remains infuriating to play against, and because he exists none of his mechanics are likely to show up on other champions, which sucks because a close ranged ADC with the chakram thing would be cool, or a mid-range ADC with the flamethrower style attacks.

Basically it's my issue with Seraphine (her visual design and lore feel drastically out of place in the setting) but where I can at least see a version of Seraphine I like (punk rock Zaunite) and think her kit is fine, Aphelios is awful on every level from kit, to lore, to design.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I think Aphelios has enough religious iconography in his design that it gets across the religious fanatic theme, and he has the swooping crescents in there to tie him to the Lunari. He's the archetypical Hitman theme, but with magic: he's silent, he's got a variety of tools, and he's got a handler.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Doesn't he have the same clothing style as Diana minus armor, though? Which yes, the armor is a divergence, but it honestly reminds me a lot of the Protoss from Starcraft -- Leona as a Zealot, Diana as a Dark Templar, and Aphelios as a High Templar with a dark coat of paint. What do you think he should look like, if you feel he's not close enough to Diana's aesthetic to fit together with her right now?

EDIT:

quote:

I think Aphelios has enough religious iconography in his design that it gets across the religious fanatic theme, and he has the swooping crescents in there to tie him to the Lunari. He's the archetypical Hitman theme, but with magic: he's silent, he's got a variety of tools, and he's got a handler.

Yeah, this is why I was curious. He gives me strong 'Agent 47, but kpop and with sci-fi weapons' vibes, which seems like a pretty reasonable angle for the lunar hitman.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Lord_Magmar posted:

On every level Aphelios is a character out of place, his actual gameplay is so far from League to be a different game simply because CertainlyT wanted to make one last big hurrah, at least 3 of his weapons could be champions all on their own with unique and interesting mechanics and instead they're all on this one guy. His looks are as bad as Seraphine in terms of how well they fit in with the setting itself, nobody in Targon has clothing like that at all, he literally looks like a Kpop singer, not some secretive moon-gun assassin. His actual characterisation is incredibly boring, between the fact he never talks at all and his sister is the actually interesting connection to the Lunari. Speaking of which, him being Lunari kind of ruins a huge part of Diana's whole thing of being the first Lunari in a long time, and him being a Lunari gun-user feels very strange considering every other Targon character either uses star magic, or has melee weapons.

Overall, he's an awkard design that remains infuriating to play against, and because he exists none of his mechanics are likely to show up on other champions, which sucks because a close ranged ADC with the chakram thing would be cool, or a mid-range ADC with the flamethrower style attacks.

Basically it's my issue with Seraphine (her visual design and lore feel drastically out of place in the setting) but where I can at least see a version of Seraphine I like (punk rock Zaunite) and think her kit is fine, Aphelios is awful on every level from kit, to lore, to design.

I could never put my disdain towards Aphelios into words, but I think you hit the nail perfectly on the head
The second I saw him, I rolled my eyes, then I saw him play and wrote him off completely. All my interactions with him in game haven't endeared him to me in any way

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Verv, is this constructive feedback?

e: my take on viego so far having played him a few times is he's incredibly squishy, like master yi level, and honestly just pubstompy. kind of fun when he bodyjacks things with CC because it can cascade but his kit on its own is pretty unremarkable.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
not enough desire to genocide everyone who makes a smurf

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Transient People posted:

Doesn't he have the same clothing style as Diana minus armor, though? Which yes, the armor is a divergence, but it honestly reminds me a lot of the Protoss from Starcraft -- Leona as a Zealot, Diana as a Dark Templar, and Aphelios as a High Templar with a dark coat of paint. What do you think he should look like, if you feel he's not close enough to Diana's aesthetic to fit together with her right now?

EDIT:

Yeah, this is why I was curious. He gives me strong 'Agent 47, but kpop and with sci-fi weapons' vibes, which seems like a pretty reasonable angle for the lunar hitman.

Preferably one without sci-fi weapons, frankly. His visuals are annoying but his weapons put it over the top to me, but like, I just don't think Diana needed more Lunari characters, and if we had to have a Lunari ADC one more aligned with the moon theme would've been nice.

As it is, Aphelios could be any faction and it wouldn't matter, because they'd just bullshit some reason for him to have magical guns. Imagine if he was a Lightbringer like Lucian and his lightstone was so powerful he needed to constantly discard old shells for it. Or Piltover hitman from a family rival to Camille. He doesn't feel like he belongs from mystical targon, because for all their bullshit about his guns being magical sacred weapons, they're still guns, FPS guns at that. I actually kind of like the sister talking and silent killer angle, so maybe lean into that by having him be a throwing assassin, with like moon shaped blades.

Basically he should be ADC Soraka (throw the moon/banana).

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 23, 2021

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
He is literally based off moon phases, each of his weapons represent one, some more obviously than others.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My problem with Aphelious' character design is that I am 95% certain that Riot paid some random kpop hopeful in order to use his likeness because he looks exactly like I expect someone to get a future kpop skinline to look.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
If you had asked me earlier in the year I would've been 100% certain we were getting a new kpop boyband with Aphelios and Sett on it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Veev posted:

If you had asked me earlier in the year I would've been 100% certain we were getting a new kpop boyband with Aphelios and Sett on it.

I am absolutely sure that's going to happen now that we have Viego.

Surprised it hasn't happened yet. Isn't the most popular K-Pop group a boy band?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Veev posted:

He is literally based off moon phases, each of his weapons represent one, some more obviously than others.

indigenous americans have names for the moon phases: flamethrower moon, sniper rifle moon, glue gun moon, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Vandar posted:

I am absolutely sure that's going to happen now that we have Viego.

Surprised it hasn't happened yet. Isn't the most popular K-Pop group a boy band?

Viego is absolutely a new Pentakill Singer, they've said they're doing a Pentakill thing this year.