Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

LODGE NORTH posted:

I did that '3 years of GamePass Ultimate for $120' thing a few months ago and it has Live Gold included with it. Does this news impact me at all or did I truly :toot:beat the system:toot:?

no actually I think we got hosed hardcore by this, because only XBL Gold members will remain at the lower rate. since we have GamePass Ultimate, I don't think we are in that category unless I'm misinterpreting the announcement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Superanos posted:

Xbox Live Gold price just doubled for new users. Instead of $60/year it's $60 for 6 months.

This kinda turns Xbox into a Game Pass console now, because that Gold price is insane if you don't get it through Game Pass Ultimate.

That is obnoxious.

It annoyed the hell out of me when Sony raised PS+ prices despite their studios only making singleplayer games and the value of the whole thing having diminished so much but while Microsoft studios still make games with multiplayer and co-op modes so XBL at least holds value, literally doubling the price is outrageous and unacceptable. Whoever said they should be held to task for this is right, it's a really crappy thing to do and where does the arrogance that fuels this type of behavior come from?

I'll admit that I've never touched GamePass because I prefer to own my games and don't see any personal benefit from the service for my own personal usage style but is it now cheaper/cheapest to just buy whatever version of that comes with XBL Gold? If so, how much is that per year and can it be attained via prepaid cards like XBL Gold and store top-ups? I'll just have to lean on the XB as my dedicated multiplayer console and keep the PS singleplayer-focused and ditch the PS+ but it's still crappy. Literally doubling the price is nuts.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Two steps forward, 3 steps back. Such a stupid yet typical MS move.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

barnold posted:

no actually I think we got hosed hardcore by this, because only XBL Gold members will remain at the lower rate. since we have GamePass Ultimate, I don't think we are in that category unless I'm misinterpreting the announcement

GamePass Ultimate people are unaffected by this.

As such it has zero impact on that guy, or you, or me.

It is still really really dumb.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I gave my brother my old One X for Christmas and told him to do the 3 months of GPU for $1 and he's enjoying it, but he's also notoriously frugal so I can't see him continuing it forward, but has been using the Xbox mostly to play Fifa with his old college buddies. This change is really dumb.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

That is obnoxious.

It annoyed the hell out of me when Sony raised PS+ prices despite their studios only making singleplayer games and the value of the whole thing having diminished so much but while Microsoft studios still make games with multiplayer and co-op modes so XBL at least holds value, literally doubling the price is outrageous and unacceptable. Whoever said they should be held to task for this is right, it's a really crappy thing to do and where does the arrogance that fuels this type of behavior come from?

I'll admit that I've never touched GamePass because I prefer to own my games and don't see any personal benefit from the service for my own personal usage style but is it now cheaper/cheapest to just buy whatever version of that comes with XBL Gold? If so, how much is that per year and can it be attained via prepaid cards like XBL Gold and store top-ups? I'll just have to lean on the XB as my dedicated multiplayer console and keep the PS singleplayer-focused and ditch the PS+ but it's still crappy. Literally doubling the price is nuts.

The price stays the same if you auto renew, so...

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

King Burgundy posted:

GamePass Ultimate people are unaffected by this.

As such it has zero impact on that guy, or you, or me.

It is still really really dumb.

:toot:

agreed

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

RCarr posted:

The price stays the same if you auto renew, so...

I don't trust any console manufacturer with my card details :nyd:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Also, Vicarious Visions, developers of the recent and excellent Tony Hawk's 1&2 remake, have been absorbed by Blizzard to help out with their projects going forward (I'm guessing Overwatch given their experience with Destiny and news of the sequel having gone very quiet).

Was really hoping that they would be working on more of the same, be it 3&4 remake as DLC or standalone, or perhaps tackling the Underground games.

Oh well, at least we got the THPS 1&2 remaster before they were booted over to Blizzard :unsmith:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Ok, then pay double?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I did that '3 years of GamePass Ultimate for $120' thing a few months ago and it has Live Gold included with it. Does this news impact me at all or did I truly :toot:beat the system:toot:?

You probably won't be able to get it that cheap again but you're going to keep however long you currently have it for. So once it runs out you'll have to pay $180 for a single year ($15 every month).

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

D1E posted:

Just as they somehow have the most powerful console with the shittiest and poorest performing multi-platform titles.

Just as they somehow have the most powerful and least powerful console hardware at the launch of the new generation.

Fair point for launch titles due to the delay in getting SDK's to developers, but did you miss the Hitman 3 news? 4K/60fps on Series X but only 1800p/60fps (with low shadow quality on top of that) on PS5.

Series X multi-plats should have an edge in the long run due to full RDNA 2 support, which is missing from PS5.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

quote:

YouTube is finally enabling HDR support on Microsoft’s Xbox consoles. The HDR support works across existing Xbox One S / X devices and new consoles like the Xbox Series X and Series S. As long as you have a TV or monitor capable of displaying HDR videos, the YouTube app will now automatically switch to output HDR content.

The YouTube app on Xbox has never supported HDR previously, despite HDR being available on the PlayStation 4 since 2019. Both the PS5 and Xbox Series X launched in November without YouTube HDR support, and it’s still not available on the PS5 yet — a step back from what was available on PS4.

Engadget notes you can confirm that HDR is outputting correctly from the YouTube app on Xbox by enabling the “stats for nerds” panel (see above). A lot of TVs will also display a HDR prompt or switch to a HDR mode when content is played.

Now we just need more HDR content to become available on YouTube. Some of the best HDR content on YouTube is still test videos that were uploaded years ago. We’re starting to see more trailers and videos come with HDR options, but the vast majority of creators don’t upload content with HDR.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

Also, Vicarious Visions, developers of the recent and excellent Tony Hawk's 1&2 remake, have been absorbed by Blizzard to help out with their projects going forward (I'm guessing Overwatch given their experience with Destiny and news of the sequel having gone very quiet).

Was really hoping that they would be working on more of the same, be it 3&4 remake as DLC or standalone, or perhaps tackling the Underground games.

Oh well, at least we got the THPS 1&2 remaster before they were booted over to Blizzard :unsmith:

Yeah you just gotta be happy you got a great remake sometimes

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Series S just keeps becoming worse and worse value.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fanatic posted:

Fair point for launch titles due to the delay in getting SDK's to developers, but did you miss the Hitman 3 news? 4K/60fps on Series X but only 1800p/60fps (with low shadow quality on top of that) on PS5.

Series X multi-plats should have an edge in the long run due to full RDNA 2 support, which is missing from PS5.

they should have an edge in the long run bcos the hardware is more powerful, the full rdna 2 thing is very certainly a technical fact that has little to no impact on anything relating to actual performance. the series x just has more raw gpu power, its 36 cus in the ps5 vs 52 for the series x.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Full rdna2 is all hokum like "highest quality pixels" and true 4k secretly meaning dynamic resolution. The thing has 52 cores thats its power

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the series s needs to be thrown in the drat bin so devs can stop wasting their time on it

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
I lowkey love the series s because it means I can hold off on upgrading my gaming pc into this gen (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

the series s needs to be thrown in the drat bin so devs can stop wasting their time on it

Too late, it’s poisoned the well for the next seven years just like the Xbox one did in 2013.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BoosterDuck posted:

I lowkey love the series s because it means I can hold off on upgrading my gaming pc into this gen (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.)

Gtx1070 4lyfe over here

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Too late, it’s poisoned the well for the next seven years just like the Xbox one did in 2013.

I don't think this is true at all, it will just be "The 720P Console". The CPU and disk are the same.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think this is true at all, it will just be "The 720P Console". The CPU and disk are the same.
Exactly, it's only eye candy, who cares?

It's also silly to believe the S will impact anything when both X and PS5 are backwards compatible. Why make a PS5 exclusive when you could make a PS4 game that both 5 and 4-only owners can buy? Now that would truly be "holding things back".

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

only one of those will be present and requires development for for the entire gen. devs will drop the older consoles like they have every single generation, but you cannot drop the series s.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

only one of those will be present and requires development for for the entire gen. devs will drop the older consoles like they have every single generation, but you cannot drop the series s.

You can, itll bounce. The ps5 however should not be dropped or you might hurt someone

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Hitman question: I downloaded Hitman 2 (1 is apparently no longer available). If I want all the content, I just buy the two “Legacy Edition” packs that are currently on sale?

edit: I should say Hitman 1 is no longer for sale. The store says I own it, but after downloading it won’t launch and says I need to buy it. Which just brings up a blank screen.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 23, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The well was poisoned last gen when both sides settled for low end CPUs.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Fly Ricky posted:

Hitman question: I downloaded Hitman 2 (1 is apparently no longer available). If I want all the content, I just buy the two “Legacy Edition” packs that are currently on sale?

edit: I should say Hitman 1 is no longer for sale. The store says I own it, but after downloading it won’t launch and says I need to buy it. Which just brings up a blank screen.
Check the "manage game and add-ons" menu of HITMAN2 (press start while on the icon). There should be some legacy versions of all the HITMAN1 levels that you can choose it install from that menu.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hitman 3 sounded like a mess to set up but the game seems to have installed all my old content without any input from me.

The server dropouts are not great tho.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

American McGay posted:

Check the "manage game and add-ons" menu of HITMAN2 (press start while on the icon). There should be some legacy versions of all the HITMAN1 levels that you can choose it install from that menu.

Thanks. I never actually played it past a level or two, but with 3 being Series X optimized I want to finally dig in.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

SUNKOS posted:

That is obnoxious.

You forgot the bit where you don’t need PS+ for free to play games but you DO need Live Gold for them

Why?

Because gently caress you that’s why

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

Updated after what I can only assume to be a 14 hour shitstorm on their social channels: Pricing raise reversed, free to play no longer requires Gold (or will, when that changes gets pushed live soon).

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 23, 2021

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Evil Badman posted:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/22/update-on-xbox-live-gold-pricing/

Updated after what I can only assume to be a 14 hour shitstorm on their social channels: Pricing raise reversed, free to play no longer requires Gold.

Wait... what? :lol: wow

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
xbros win again

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Even made F2P games free. Bullying works.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I wonder how much stock of 12 month Gold gift cards were bought because of this scare. When I checked on Amazon AU they were all sold out lol.

What if that was their plan all along. :tinfoil:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

American McGay posted:

Even made F2P games free. Bullying works.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

epic gamer moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
bill gates reverses decision

xbox wins again