Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Alien's costuming is 100% perfect.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Everything about Alien is perfect.

Except maybe the idea of a future with those horrible green & black monochrome computer screens but that's more to do with tech limitations of the late 1970's than anything else :colbert:

Their computer sounds are pure devine though.
From a time when dot matrix printers and hard drives were noisy rear end as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMG0PLmh9s

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/JuanCafecito/status/1254900358347755520?s=20

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

They're dressed like what what they are; truckers. In space. Space truckers!

Everything about Alien is perfect.

Except maybe the idea of a future with those horrible green & black monochrome computer screens but that's more to do with tech limitations of the late 1970's than anything else :colbert:

The green and black computer screens has its charm. The Nostromo wasn't meant to be a top-of-the-line vessel, anyway.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PhotoKirk posted:

100% perfect costuming.

...right!

Look, I just think we should discuss the bonus situation.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:stare: We're not alone.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

happyhippy posted:

Their computer sounds are pure devine though.
From a time when dot matrix printers and hard drives were noisy rear end as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMG0PLmh9s
That's the good stuff, perfect background noise.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The green and black computer screens has its charm. The Nostromo wasn't meant to be a top-of-the-line vessel, anyway.

Is this how they explain the crazy tech in prometheus?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

zenguitarman posted:

Is this how they explain the crazy tech in prometheus?

It’s the fan head-canon explanation, there is no “official” explanation.

The real reason is that Ridley Scott makes the movies he wants to make, and he does not care about continuity or “canon”.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
What if the aliens hosed lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GAYIDS posted:

Hugger is a euphemism hth

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

GAYIDS posted:

The aliens were created by a vengeful android who wanted to orally rape humanity to death.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Well, some Aliens were, not necessarily all of them. :eng101:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
next year

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Found a thing on Imgur, showing how a Thompson SMG and pump action shotgun were fused together to form the bones of the pulse rifle.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ I think they used two shotguns as the grenade launcher, or rather, it's the cool SPAS-12 heatshield over top of a different gun's action.

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Bishop being the only human actor would be hilarious. Just the irony that the only non-muppet in the movie is an artificial person.

This would make the scene where they seal him in the pipe particularly hilarious.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This guy reckons that Alien is the best of the series, followed by Aliens, but if you prefer Aliens to Alien, there's nothing wrong with that, because Aliens is a bona fide classic in its own right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPyjD5mf8KU

In the comments, he adds that after seeing Covenant, he puts it in 4th place ahead of Prometheus, AvP, Alien Resurrection and AvP:R.

Alien is my all-time favourite film, and I'd say I'd rank the series in a similar way.

He does video essays on action films, and he did a video on Aliens as an exemplar of an excellent action film, and really takes issue with the criticism of its pacing - the film benefits from such a long drive to the fireworks factory, because that time is maximised in developing the characters just enough that we, as an audience, develop an emotional attachment to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmoPg1-Qhjs

Ferro is a great example of this - we see her like maybe 3 or 4 times, but you still get a good idea of what she's all about in that time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Vagabundo posted:

He does video essays on action films, and he did a video on Aliens as an exemplar of an excellent action film, and really takes issue with the criticism of its pacing - the film benefits from such a long drive to the fireworks factory, because that time is maximised in developing the characters just enough that we, as an audience, develop an emotional attachment to them.
I've run into a problem with films a lot these days. Either they speed too fast to the fireworks and/or intersperse the journey with lovely fireworks, or the final fireworks don't live up to the promise of the journey.

Aliens with the colony scene kind of falls to the journey fireworks issue.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
alien and aliens have different proportions of sci-fi:action so preference is to taste and mood not a matter of either movie being less than perfect

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Last weekend Alien was #10 at the box office with $60,000

Splicer posted:

A whole lot of people trying not make eye contact during the airlock quarantine scene.

Lambert: "Will you open the goddamn hatch, we gotta get inside and see Alien."

Ripley: "Listen to me, if we break quarantine we could all die."

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
https://www.etsy.com/listing/656372103/weyland-yutani-lanyard-card?ref=hp_opfy-1&sca=1

So tempting for when I have to start going back to the office

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Two videos well worth a watch, thanks for posting these.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I haven't wanted something as hard as this for a long time :stare:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Mister Speaker posted:

^ I think they used two shotguns as the grenade launcher, or rather, it's the cool SPAS-12 heatshield over top of a different gun's action.

You're correct! The rifles were made from Thompson submachine guns (which is why the 'caseless' rifles clearly eject .45ACP brass in several scenes). The grenade launchers were cutdown Remington 870s with the SPAS furniture on top because they looked cooler. The 'grenades' themselves were 12 gauge snap caps (inert training and practice cartridges with no primer/propellant) with some extra stuff molded on to look cool, that way they could be fed into the shotgun magazine when she's loading up in the elevator. The real funny part is how the skinny Thompson mags they used in the reload were supposed to hold 95 10mm rounds.

The Smartguns were cooler, someone just made a German MG42, a Steadicam harness and a motorcycle have a threesome and stole their baby.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wild T posted:

You're correct! The rifles were made from Thompson submachine guns (which is why the 'caseless' rifles clearly eject .45ACP brass in several scenes). The grenade launchers were cutdown Remington 870s with the SPAS furniture on top because they looked cooler. The 'grenades' themselves were 12 gauge snap caps (inert training and practice cartridges with no primer/propellant) with some extra stuff molded on to look cool, that way they could be fed into the shotgun magazine when she's loading up in the elevator. The real funny part is how the skinny Thompson mags they used in the reload were supposed to hold 95 10mm rounds.

The Smartguns were cooler, someone just made a German MG42, a Steadicam harness and a motorcycle have a threesome and stole their baby.

:yeah:

Like the pulse rifles are probably the most iconic space gun, but goddamn the smartguns are way cooler IMHO, and they also have a cooler sound too

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Teenage me had big cosplay ambitions until I discovered how expensive SteadiCam parts were.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

A whole lot of people trying not make eye contact during the airlock quarantine scene.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Ripley: "Listen to me, if we break quarantine we could all die."

https://twitter.com/AdamShaftoe/status/1123389416532213760?s=20

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Iron Crowned posted:

Like the pulse rifles are probably the most iconic space gun, but goddamn the smartguns are way cooler IMHO, and they also have a cooler sound too

I absolutely love the sound of the smart gun. Well all of the gun sounds are really good.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Iron Crowned posted:

Agreed on both, but that Ithaca 37 shotgun was sweet. "EAT THIS!"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I had the DooM (original) .wad with Aliens replacement sounds installed for so long that hearing the originals years later (maybe Doom64 at a neighbor's?) was weird to me.

The door sound especially. I can still hear them and the original I have no clue about.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I had the DooM (original) .wad with Aliens replacement sounds installed for so long that hearing the originals years later (maybe Doom64 at a neighbor's?) was weird to me.

The door sound especially. I can still hear them and the original I have no clue about.

I downloaded a couple of Aliens mods for Half Life, way back when. The MP5 was changed into the Pulse Rifle (complete with proper firing sound), and the Snarks became Facehuggers.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I swear the smartgun gear spinup noise mixed with alien screeching in so many scenes convinced me that xenos sounded like elephants until more recently than I'm willing to admit. Smh

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw this on r/MovieDetails:

"In Aliens (1986), it is revealed that Lambert, from the first Alien (1979), was transgender, during a quick recalling of the crewmember deaths from the first movie"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

"In Aliens (1986), it is revealed that Lambert, from the first Alien (1979), was transgender, during a quick recalling of the crewmember deaths from the first movie"

Captain Dallas is also transgender, but his dossier is obscured or otherwise unreadable so we have to go off filmmaker notes to confirm that detail. The idea was that being trans was NBD in the Alien future and fairly commonplace and trans people were indistinguishable from cis people in societal acceptance and sexual function.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That's cool. I remember that the original script didn't mention gender at all so actors were cast on their actual skill & how they'd fit in different roles.

Did the actors do screen tests for each role?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's pretty drat progressive for the 80s.

I'd also like some of that Arcturian poontang.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

One criticism of Predator that I never understood was the idea that it was a ripoff of Aliens. Gene Siskel spouts this opinion in his review of the movie. I just don't see it, other than there are military men against an alien. The monsters aren't similar, they way they kill aren't really comparable and there isn't the body horror element present in Predator. It's such a weird complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXN0MeZKw88

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

PeterCat posted:

One criticism of Predator that I never understood was the idea that it was a ripoff of Aliens. Gene Siskel spouts this opinion in his review of the movie. I just don't see it, other than there are military men against an alien. The monsters aren't similar, they way they kill aren't really comparable and there isn't the body horror element present in Predator. It's such a weird complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXN0MeZKw88

The funny thing is that Gene also gave a thumbs down to Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1y6QhZaUG4

I watched a bunch of S&E reviews at Siskel and Ebert Movie Reviews and it's interesting to see their respective weak spots on what are now classic movies through the years. Gene seemed to buy into the emotional aspects of a given movie more while disliking pure action, where Ebert seemed more aloof overall but also could be won over by simpler themes as long as they paid off for the audience.

tacoor gafruf
Sep 23, 2007

JUST SOME SCRUB

Android Apocalypse posted:

well bugger me!
I thought it was fake! Went back and watched Aliens special edition and there it was on the screen "blurry (male to female)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
One of the blurays has an Easter egg video of all those Nostromo crew dossiers set to the somber opening music. It's legit one of the saddest things I've ever seen and it should play on an endless loop in a museum somewhere.