Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I mean there's also the fact that this is the UKMT, and Scotland is part of the UK.

Most of the time when the diversions go north of the border, it's because someone discusses something Labour should do, the scots emerge to point out how it won't work because of Scottish issues, one particular group of posters gets pissy and tells them to shut up, someone calls someone else racist, and we end up not discussing the issues facing just under a third of the landmass we live on.

I'm English by the way but I don't get the scotpol hate.

Then the population of london is more important than the whole of scotchland.

Don't give me wrong, they gave alot to picnic eggs.

But as a region to listen to, they're less than london.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

crispix posted:

why's the landmass important
I mean it's the UK thread and there's a third of it people get funny about discussing. Which is especially weird given how much Scotland suddenly becomes an issue every election.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

(I think the point is there are people in the UK who are on a different landmass)

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

(I think the point is there are people in the UK who are on a different landmass)

Does that matter. I could point the the geological mass od 'scotland' it will fix nothing.

Whatever the highland and edinburgh is is nothing.

For all intentsnts- and -purpurposes. we will drag you down.
we will make you hurt.

Cyril Sneeer
Apr 4, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

lol no. you are coming with us.

we will swalloy you whole.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I reckon the real tipping point will be when the Queen dies. It'll be like a couple who wait for the kids to leave home before they get divorced: as soon as she kicks the bucket, every country in the union is going to head straight off in it's own direction. There's no way Charles or William could ever fill the same place in the nation's psyche.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I thought it was that he keeps saying ‘a third of the landmass’ rather than ‘a tenth of the population’. And it’s not as if it’s the land that has political issues with England, but the people

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please do not disrespect my axis powers hetalia UK plural system fanfiction.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I reckon the real tipping point will be when the Queen dies. It'll be like a couple who wait for the kids to leave home before they get divorced: as soon as she kicks the bucket, every country in the union is going to head straight off in it's own direction. There's no way Charles or William could ever fill the same place in the nation's psyche.

It has been a crazy long time. I wonder what things would look like now if 2 or 3 monarchs, starting with Elizabeth, had died early. The thing is, it's so abstract. If Tonty Blair had fallen in a volcano in 1999, we could point to concrete things to hang our alternate timeline on, but the general background feeling of the monarchy, and the value placed on it by much of the population, is much harder to quantify.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

crispix posted:

If your granda was born on the island of Ireland you are entitled to Irish citizenship

My stepdad's mother was Irish, but he never got round to formally adopting me. Post-Brexit he has since apologised for this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Glad the english are around to remind everyone to not get nationalist and stay in the UK

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/JJHTweets/status/1352554798730633216?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

if nationalism is such mind poison how come's it nobody tells palestinians off for wanting a two state solution :thunk:
Because Israel won't give them a one state solution. Like I can understand where Lucas Mangope was coming from but he was still wrong and the correct answer was still the destruction of apartheid.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

That post is completely loving inscrutable to me, it looks like somebody doing a trip report of their nervous breakdown

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

TACD posted:

That post is completely loving inscrutable to me, it looks like somebody doing a trip report of their nervous breakdown

it’s quite comical in that he gets fined every possible way like a Mr Bean episode

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's funny that we're already in a sorta post soviet collapse where you're gonna have to start doing wacky workarounds and minor corruption just to get adequate eggs

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Honestly this is exactly how I expected Brexit to feel and that's weirdly validating but also this poo poo sucks and the world is a much more annoying place for both UK and RoI now

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Shyrka posted:

Totally love how every time Scotland gets mentioned in the thread a bunch of people crawl out of the woodwork to tell us all how nationalism is a disease, very normal and cool.

*laughs In Scots"

If nationalism is bad then we should be working to hasten the breakup of the uk, not allow it to continue

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Theres some big brains in here and I was hoping you could help me with the ICO data protection fee.

I run a webstore based on shopify and a mailing list on mailchimp for said store. I 'store' no data myself and run it all through the online portals, same for postage etc. All done online via the Royal Mail Click & drop service.

When the fee first came in, it was quite clear (and I may be mistaken but I went through the 'are you exempt' thing they put out) that since I only used data to send orders out to customers and market to them it let me know I was exempt and didn't have to pay said fee, and notified them I was exempt.

This morning I've got a lovely letter saying 'Why aren't you paying your fee, you should or theres a 4 grand fine! Check if you're exempt' and using exactly the same checklist I am still exempt but there is now no way to notify them off the back of this. And even when its telling you you are exempt, it still says 'You may want to pay the fee anyway, heres a link'.

Its only £40 for my business so i'm not that bothered if I'm no longer exempt, or indeed wasn't actually to begin with so I just wanted to double check. Can anyone say for sure?

Interestingly the letter gives you no contact information to notify them of said exemption, just a link to a portal to pay your fee.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Replacing britnats with different flavour nats isn't less nationalism.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Priti Patel has a serious brain injury

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelSpicer/status/1352912181369712640

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

*laughs In Scots"

If nationalism is bad then we should be working to hasten the breakup of the uk, not allow it to continue

*Englishly* hmm no that doesn't track. Britain is our god given country so it can't be nationalist its neutral

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I'm surprised she didn't just go "yes we have done very well, thanks for noticing"

But that's just a standard politician answer imo

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cyril Sneeer posted:

cheers mate, have pm'ed you

Be prepared for a very long wait if you apply. As of August last year, they were processing applications from May 2019.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

To be fair, she's done much better than expected there. When she was asked that same question in interview prep, her eyes rolled back into her head and she chanted "DEATH" in abyssal tones for 666 seconds

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

anyway you scots only have like 2x the population of NI how do you manage to make so much of a fuss about yourselves lol you didn't even have a civil war

Point of order, m'lud, they did. Covenanters vs the Marquess of Montrose (mapping onto lowlanders vs highlanders loosely speaking) :hist101:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

feedmegin posted:

Point of order, m'lud, they did. Covenanters vs the Marquess of Montrose (mapping onto lowlanders vs highlanders loosely speaking) :hist101:

It's fine, barely any Scots are aware of the Covenanters so can't expect anyone else to know

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's probably more West Virginians aware of them than people currently resident in Scotland.

e: Should say aware in the folk-mythological sense that it forms part of Appalachian history rather than necessarily aware of them in the way that any modern historian would agree coincides with what they were or stood for, but awareness nonetheless.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

She’d do great on Just A Minute

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They weren't very good tanks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lungboy posted:

Be prepared for a very long wait if you apply. As of August last year, they were processing applications from May 2019.

Don't suppose you know if it's possible to do the paperwork at an embasssy? I really don't like the idea of incredibly precious documents being lost in beuraucracy for several years. Also, I guess I have to get my dad to send me all the paperwork he used to get his citizenship (his mum was Irish, so I'd be using the grandparent route) - atm I've just got my birth certificate, and his irish passport number.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Angrymog posted:

Don't suppose you know if it's possible to do the paperwork at an embasssy? I really don't like the idea of incredibly precious documents being lost in beuraucracy for several years. Also, I guess I have to get my dad to send me all the paperwork he used to get his citizenship (his mum was Irish, so I'd be using the grandparent route) - atm I've just got my birth certificate, and his irish passport number.

You can do it all online with scans of documents, if you are worried about important documents getting lost.

I had tried to get my Scottish daughter an Irish passport but it kept falling apart because her (also Irish) mum lives in Scotland and trying to get her to sign the necessary forms was next to impossible as she wasn't always around.

My plan is when things re-open I'll try to get it done, so my daughter at least will have the option to go to University in ireland.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cyril Sneeer posted:

you were lied to in the last referendum. "the only chance to remain in the EU is with the UK". get over it. every voter is lied to. That is why england votes tory.

A lot to unpack here but the TLDR is...

No

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol the general secretary can just rule our a candidate

https://twitter.com/mish_rahman/status/1352639213355851777?s=19

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Angrymog posted:

I don't think so but don't know for sure. Did your dad do the formal citizen bit before or after you were born? If before then I think you can use his rather than your grandmother which should simplify it.

The Question IRL posted:

You can do it all online with scans of documents, if you are worried about important documents getting lost.

I still had to send originals in the post even after online submission. I'm talking about citizenship though, passport only might be different.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 23, 2021

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Whoops, looks like we left the tax haven club

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1352745052594970626?s=20

quote:

Several jurisdictions have been taken on and off the list since it was first launched in 2017. However, those linked to EU member states have typically avoided inclusion, and the UK had lobbied to protect its overseas territories from past scrutiny.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Tax havens being blacklisted is good but the EU doing it while continuing to accommodate Luxembourg, the Netherlands and (to a slightly lesser extent) Ireland is laughable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

peanut- posted:

Tax havens being blacklisted is good but the EU doing it while continuing to accommodate Luxembourg, the Netherlands and (to a slightly lesser extent) Ireland is laughable.

I mean there's a reason ours weren't listed til we left.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

It's fine, barely any Scots are aware of the Covenanters so can't expect anyone else to know

No Sealed Knot equivalent up there then? I mean I expect most people in England to have at least heard of Cavaliers and Roundheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Jose posted:

Lol the general secretary can just rule our a candidate

https://twitter.com/mish_rahman/status/1352639213355851777?s=19

Labour is never getting another good MP or councilor lol