Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear about that! How old is Remy?

will he need any sort of PT to help with walking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lhet posted:

Remy started limping a bit over a month ago, favoring one leg. After a while he completely stopped putting weight on it, and it got swollen so we took him to the vet, and unfortunately it was confirmed to be bone cancer. We decided to treat it - which meant having the leg removed, and got him back from surgery yesterday.

He's still kinda a bit out of it, but doing ok. He's been motivated to go outside, which is good. Has a bit of trouble figuring out balance and how far he can squat, but hopefully will start to get used to it after a few days.

Hope he does ok going forward :yaycloud:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lhet posted:

Remy started limping a bit over a month ago, favoring one leg. After a while he completely stopped putting weight on it, and it got swollen so we took him to the vet, and unfortunately it was confirmed to be bone cancer. We decided to treat it - which meant having the leg removed, and got him back from surgery yesterday.

He's still kinda a bit out of it, but doing ok. He's been motivated to go outside, which is good. Has a bit of trouble figuring out balance and how far he can squat, but hopefully will start to get used to it after a few days.

Poor pup! I hope he feels OK again, soon. :( At least there's a silver lining, which is that tripod greys (at least, the ones I've seen in here and on FB) seem to bounce back and cope rather well, after losing a leg. Either way, I hope he's back to feeling like his normal self ASAP

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

I love these doggos and wish the best for them

I agree! Been meaning to post some photos of our girl, will do it this weekend I swear!

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thanks for the thoughts. He's having some awkward moments, but honestly they're on par with the bad moments he had with the leg, so if it's uphill from here then there's a lot to look forward to. Apparently the worst is the first 4-5 days, then things get a lot better, so hopefully things will go smoothly.

actionjackson posted:

sorry to hear about that! How old is Remy?

will he need any sort of PT to help with walking?

He's 11. He shouldn't need PT, it's mostly about him just getting used to it - he had already stopped using the bad leg before this, so was already on to 3 legs, this just removed the anchor.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Best wishes for Remy from all of us. Hopefully he recovers fully and has several great years to come.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Remy looks like a good hound and I wish for a full recovery!!!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Tripod greys best greys

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Aww Remy! Sweet boy! I hope he is doing a lot better now, may you have many more lovely days with him. :)

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As promised here is our girl Hazel!

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Ugh, bad month for greys. :( I am so sorry to hear about Remy. He will bounce back from the amputation quicker than you think, though. They adjust surprisingly well to losing a limb.

RazorBunny posted:

"I'm perfectly comfortable, why do you ask?"

RB doesn't post here anymore, but Vastra has also been hit hard by a fast-moving cancer and they've made the decision to let her go peacefully on Monday.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m sorry to hear about vastra :smith: just clicked through their post history and she seemed like a real sweetheart

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Aw, poor doggos. Bone cancer does scare me...

Maybe as a bit of a counterpoint, I’m 2 hours away from getting my long dog!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

david_a posted:

Aw, poor doggos. Bone cancer does scare me...

Maybe as a bit of a counterpoint, I’m 2 hours away from getting my long dog!
you know about the picture tax for all the advice and such the thread has provided, yes

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Lemon has new sisters! I want one but I know way better at this point than to have two puppies.

https://imgur.com/oAYwrmw.mp4

Veskit fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 23, 2021

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

you know about the picture tax for all the advice and such the thread has provided, yes

lol like I won’t want to post a billion pics anyway

Waiting at the dog wash now

Here’s a pic of my wild girl Katie

david_a fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2021

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

david_a posted:

lol like I won’t want to post a billion picks anyway

Waiting at the dog wash now

Here’s a pic of my wild girl Katie

Katie is a super cute name!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Finally home. She’s a lot calmer by herself away from all the other dogs and people. Had a little stroll - so many exciting things to look at and smell! She finally drank some water too - and sure enough when I took her out a minute later, she had to go. She wolfed down a bunch of food when she got off the truck so that’s good.

So went up the stairs by herself after like 10 minutes in here! Getting down was a different story; I carried her since I wanted her down pronto to go out.

Current status: first nap of the day (well, laying down at least)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Double posting #yolo

Survived the first night! She didn’t whine or cry at all! She was a bit restless at times though. I had somewhat optimistically set the alarm for 6:30 but at 6 she barked to let me know it was time for breakfast.

She has quite the appetite! One thing we will need to learn is table manners - she loves to put her paws on the kitchen counter or dining room table to check out what I’m doing. I think for lunches and dinners I’m going to have to crate her for now because it stresses me out having a giant “helper” in my small kitchen.

We did a 40 minute walk last night which I think was a bit much for her, I felt bad. This morning she didn’t want to take a walk - I don’t know if everything looks scarier in the daylight or she didn’t like the temperature. She doesn’t pull on the lead but she does walk a bit randomly so she trips me up or walks so close she pushes me off the path.

She also seemed a lot more hesitant today to relieve herself. I don’t know if she suddenly remembered she was shy. I thought about trying to get her into the fenced area to take her off leash but she didn’t want to walk over there. She does not seem to be in need so I’ll just watch her closely and try again later.

Edit: image tax, watching TV for the first time last night

david_a fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 24, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Never stop posting Katie updates

The most useful thing I taught Spartacus was patience and restraint using the "it's your choice" game. He is absolutely nuts about food, and though he's still a nuisance about it, at least now he keeps all his feet on the floor and only barks occasionally instead of constantly, and most of the time knows he gets better results if he's quiet and lying down.

But basically only give them what they want when they're doing something you like, and (try to) ignore them if it's something you want to stop. Once you've built up a relationship you can also use things like "nuh-uh" to warn them off too.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

What is the weather like where you are right now? I would definitely not go that long in the winter if it's an actual... winter. In warm weather that's perfectly fine for a young greyhound.

I'm in Minnesota and Abby and I are never out more than 5-10 minutes max when it gets cold (below freezing), and when it gets REALLY cold it's basically just as long as it takes her to do her business

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It is indeed cold. I have a coat but I wanted to measure her before investing in something better. I can’t figure out if I’m measuring her incorrectly or if she really needs a custom size because the neck and chest circumference fall into the range for one of the standard sizes but I keep measuring her as way shorter.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

https://chillydogs.ca do special sizes for our hosed up weirdos

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

It is indeed cold. I have a coat but I wanted to measure her before investing in something better. I can’t figure out if I’m measuring her incorrectly or if she really needs a custom size because the neck and chest circumference fall into the range for one of the standard sizes but I keep measuring her as way shorter.

That seems to be a decent fit, but yeah I'd do a shorter walk.

Sparty is a nutso and would go 40 minutes without a coat but he also runs hot and is a high endurance freak

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah I would say no more than 10-15 minutes, also you will probably notice after a while that your greyhound will be visibly uncomfortable, lifting up their paws a lot, etc.

I used this

https://k9apparel.com/collections/greyhound-dog-gear

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 24, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

david_a posted:

This morning she didn’t want to take a walk - I don’t know if everything looks scarier in the daylight or she didn’t like the temperature. She doesn’t pull on the lead but she does walk a bit randomly so she trips me up or walks so close she pushes me off the path.

This is my experience as well with our girl. Doesn’t like to go out but once out is mostly into it. Also trips me up constantly.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

actionjackson posted:

Yeah I would say no more than 10-15 minutes, also you will probably notice after a while that your greyhound will be visibly uncomfortable, lifting up their paws a lot, etc.

I used this

https://k9apparel.com/collections/greyhound-dog-gear

Those are the coats I’m looking at. Neck and chest are in medium but she seems like 3 inches shorter than their guide.

My adoption person just told me that their paws have to adjust to asphalt & frozen ground which is probably part of it. She limps slightly outdoors but is fine inside on the carpet.

Currently chilling upstairs before giving another go at going down - seems extremely unenthusiastic about it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

are her paws pink? they will eventually get calluses and go black, and she’ll be a lot hardier then for walking on pavement

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

Those are the coats I’m looking at. Neck and chest are in medium but she seems like 3 inches shorter than their guide.

Greyhounds have weird sizing all over the place, but I think they should be fine honestly. The velcro straps have a lot of adjustment range.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

jesus WEP posted:

are her paws pink? they will eventually get calluses and go black, and she’ll be a lot hardier then for walking on pavement

Honestly I think she’s just reacting to the cold sidewalk. We walked on the sidewalk a bit coming out and she seemed like she was walking on pins. In a grassy area she was fine, and coming back I think she forgot to make a fuss about it.

Is it normal that they don’t urinate as much when they have loose stools? It seems like she thinks about it, changes her mind, and does a #2 instead. With the amount of water she drinks I would have expected more.

Also how do you get them to walk down stairs? When we came in she went right up by herself - not sure what she expected to happen once she got up there, I carried her down the first two times. She freezes at the landing and I would have to force her to move to even start going down. I’ve heard mixed things about doing that.

Edit: it just dawned on me to not carry her down the entire flight. I may still need to temporarily block them off somehow because I know greys will try doing stupid poo poo like jumping down the entire stairs at first.

david_a fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 24, 2021

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

These dogs have the toughest life.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie and I had a very good day! (Hope this isn’t a jinx since it’s not over yet)

After talking with my adoption rep, I realized she was probably scared of going outside. I was following the advice of taking them out frequently to get them housebroken but I don’t think Katie thought it was helpful. The “dog expert” neighbor sticking her crazy excited black lab in Katie’s face before I had a chance to say no didn’t help either.

I got the advice of trying the rear sliding door instead and giving her treats and praise just for going outside. I also decided to keep an eye on her and not trying to go out constantly. Katie actually decided she wanted to take a walk while outside this afternoon! She also jumped around for like 5 seconds and got wrapped up in her leash, not sure if she was happy or startled by something.

Stairs are coming along! Up is no problem. She got her front paws down the top two steps and was this close to moving her rear paws. When I carry her down she has to do the last few steps by herself which doesn’t seem like too much of a problem.

My coworkers got to see her in the natural greyhound state:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

david_a posted:

Katie and I had a very good day! (Hope this isn’t a jinx since it’s not over yet)

After talking with my adoption rep, I realized she was probably scared of going outside. I was following the advice of taking them out frequently to get them housebroken but I don’t think Katie thought it was helpful. The “dog expert” neighbor sticking her crazy excited black lab in Katie’s face before I had a chance to say no didn’t help either.

I got the advice of trying the rear sliding door instead and giving her treats and praise just for going outside. I also decided to keep an eye on her and not trying to go out constantly. Katie actually decided she wanted to take a walk while outside this afternoon! She also jumped around for like 5 seconds and got wrapped up in her leash, not sure if she was happy or startled by something.

Stairs are coming along! Up is no problem. She got her front paws down the top two steps and was this close to moving her rear paws. When I carry her down she has to do the last few steps by herself which doesn’t seem like too much of a problem.

My coworkers got to see her in the natural greyhound state:

Gentle coaxing with treats is how to do stairs. You can get her started, remember her head will be lower than her butt and it's a very unusual and unbalanced position. Especially for a front-heavy dog like a greyhound. If she's treat-motivated then leaving one on each stair can be a good reward. Start her off with just the bottom few and work her up to longer and longer stretches.

Rewards and excitement and play for going outside and eliminating will also help with potty training.

Keep an eye on excess water drinking. For sparty it was a sign he was infected with worms still, it took forever to finally kill them all off. And then later it was a sign his food was stressing his kidneys and he started having accidents until we switched food.

But if she isn't having accidents inside and isn't demanding to go out all the time then I wouldn't worry about it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, Abby had an excess water drinking phase, they tested her creatinine (which was high compared to other breeds, but normal for a greyhound), and decided it was part of her canine cognitive dysfunction that she gets Anipryl now for.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Remy was doing ok, but Sunday he had trouble keeping balance, fell a few times, and suddenly started to take a turn for the worse. Over the day and continuing on Monday new wounds started appearing. We took him to the emergency vet for overnight, then took him back to where he had the surgery and it turns out the muscle underneath the wound didn't heal and is just becoming infected. It's really hard, he's been so strong and it's sad that it's come to this. Will be spoiling him and keeping him comfortable, but we don't have much time left. It's really hard.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So sorry to hear about Remy!!!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Katie went down maybe 1/4 the staircase before getting stuck! I think by the end of the week she’ll get it. Lots of treats and praise, yes. I love that goofy blank stare they get when they’re scared.

We managed to go out four times today, hoping she’ll want to go again before bedtime but I’m not counting on it. This morning she let me know at 5:15 she wanted out (she was pushing 14 hours), but once she did her business we came back in and slept until 7. Well, she slept, I feel asleep at like 6:45.

Today I also learned that it’s vital to grab the keys even when we go out the rear sliding glass door. She did some exploring around the place (I think she was mostly scared before) and wound up at the front door with her very, very much wanting to go in (she was cold by this point). Hard to explain to her that we had to go around, so I had to carry her. Really glad I didn’t end up with a 90 lb boy with the amount of carrying I have to do...

Apparently all Florida greyhounds within the last few years have gotten some horrid drug resistant hookworm; it’s in all the kennels down there. My adoption group has figured out the hard way with the help of vets and microbiologists a combo that will reliably kill them in 3-6 months (Advocate + Drontal Plus every 2 weeks).

Also we tried a bit of separation training - I hadn’t had a chance to go get the mail since she didn’t want to go over there. I was gone for 6 minutes and from the video I took she was howling for like 3.5 of them. Wondering what getting groceries this weekend will be like.

Got the first roach today! I’m sure she will improve her form in time

Edit: Remy :(

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear about Remy, that must be devastating. Give him some extra hugs from us.

david_a posted:

Got the first roach today! I’m sure she will improve her form in time

Roaches on a futon are hard, so it's a very noble first attempt. Looks like she's settling in nicely.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m so sorry to hear about Remy :( gently caress cancer. Spoil that doggo rotten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

I’m so sorry to hear that :(

This thread is such a roller coaster.