Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SonicRulez posted:

I like the slow burn honestly. It's different and that keeps it weird. I liked that feeling as Wanda realized Geraldine wasn't in on the act and started to do a movie monster walk toward her. It was tense in a good way. Our protagonist is also probably what is wrong with everything. The biggest thing for me was when Wanda rewrote things on the fly to alter Vision's own thoughts and words. That felt like a really strong line to cross. I'm anxious to see how he will react once he realizes what's going on.

I just think they've got something unique here and I'm in no rush for it to become Wanda and Vision fighting mooks. I know that's going to happen and it'll probably look really neat, but let's have some fun first.

Yeah, even though it's a quick cut, it felt like an escalation from last episode's rewind. I liked that. Also ditto on the creep on Geraldine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My theory is HYDRA/AIM/Swarm/Grim Reaper/whoever instigated the plan, whatever it originally was. Wanda either came to town on her own volition or was asked to by SWORD. The villains tried to mess with her and turn her into part of the neighborhood. Wanda instead overpowered them and basically took over. She's going over the line to keep her fantasy a reality, but the original villains are trying to win back control by manipulating Wanda into doing what they want.

Monica, a member of SWORD, was trying to play along and get through to Wanda. It did not work.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
WandaVision reminded me that, as far as I know, no Marvel writer ever bothered to explain exactly how or why Wiccan and Speed went from being kinda-dead fragments of Mephisto's soul or whatever they were to being living teenagers who were much older than they should have been given the sliding timescale and who also (each) had their own set of biological parents.

iirc Heinberg, Gillen, and all subsequent writers just elided over the mechanics of exactly how that happened, and there was actually a scene in Unstoppable Wasp a few years ago that made a joke about how convoluted their origin was. good thing the MCU won't have to deal with that baggage if it introduces them

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

WandaVision reminded me that, as far as I know, no Marvel writer ever bothered to explain exactly how or why Wiccan and Speed went from being kinda-dead fragments of Mephisto's soul or whatever they were to being living teenagers who were much older than they should have been given the sliding timescale and who also (each) had their own set of biological parents.

iirc Heinberg, Gillen, and all subsequent writers just elided over the mechanics of exactly how that happened, and there was actually a scene in Unstoppable Wasp a few years ago that made a joke about how convoluted their origin was. good thing the MCU won't have to deal with that baggage if it introduces them

The Avengers have existed in 616 for twenty-ten-five years, delete as appropriate for the current story

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gavok posted:

My theory is HYDRA/AIM/Swarm/Grim Reaper/whoever instigated the plan, whatever it originally was. Wanda either came to town on her own volition or was asked to by SWORD. The villains tried to mess with her and turn her into part of the neighborhood. Wanda instead overpowered them and basically took over. She's going over the line to keep her fantasy a reality, but the original villains are trying to win back control by manipulating Wanda into doing what they want.

Monica, a member of SWORD, was trying to play along and get through to Wanda. It did not work.

Yeah that's my bet Wanda's doing it but she isn't necessarily responsible

I really admire that after nearly 2 years with no MCU stuff they came back with something so weird

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Amazon has announced Invincible will premiere March 26th. Three episodes to start, weekly after.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

The Avengers have existed in 616 for twenty-ten-five years, delete as appropriate for the current story

eh, in practice it's not usually quite that malleable, not in what I've read

also, someone cared enough about the sliding timeline being a plot hole in Hulkling's origin to subtly retcon it in one of the Empyre tie-ins (his origin has him being conceived during the Kree-Skrull War, which couldn't have been much more than 10-12 years before the present day; the retcon established that he was sent "through time and space" to Earth as an infant, implying that he was sent a few years into the past as well)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

That can't be true, unless either the Avengers existed for several years before Peter Parker got bit by a radioactive spider, or Peter is 40, and Marvel doesn't ever let him turn 30, let alone 40.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Gavok posted:

Related, one theory related to the episode 3 ad that I saw is that apparently from Agents of Shield, Hydra used soap as a mind control agent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

That can't be true, unless either the Avengers existed for several years before Peter Parker got bit by a radioactive spider, or Peter is 40, and Marvel doesn't ever let him turn 30, let alone 40.

In those cases they're ten years old, obviously. Except when they're not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
People trying to establish a modern timeline for Marvel is the same as Superman VS Goku.

STOP

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

People trying to establish a modern timeline for Marvel is the same as Superman VS Goku.

STOP

Agreed. We all know nothing can beat Goku.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Unless you distract him with food

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I feel like this episode put a lot more weight on the "Wanda is doing this" side of the scale. Wanda made two overtly villainous moves: rewriting time again when she doesn't like what happens (and this time instead of the understandable motive of fear it's because she has no interest in discussing the unreality of their situation, which is much more selfish and also suggests she already knows what's going on and is okay with it), and not only advancing on Monica in a clearly threatening manner, but expelling her from the town. They quite pointedly don't show us what happened at the moment of confrontation, but the more obvious reading is that she did it on purpose, remembers it, and is intentionally lying to Vision. The neighbors snitching on Monica and whispering to each other are both shady, but on the whole Wanda looked much worse and they looked much more like prisoners this week. (And the sign existing outside of the sitcom bubble indicates that the town was a real place before whatever happened, it hasn't been invented out of whole cloth.)

Also I gotta imagine that if COVID hadn't put everything into the eternal delay cycle, we'd already have Young Avengers officially confirmed as the Phase 4 cap-off movie. We now have confirmed Kate Bishop, Cassie Lang, Billy, and Tommy from the original team, plus Ms. Marvel and Ironheart (and I think I heard something about America Chavez being cast too?). At this point there's literally nowhere else they could be going with that. Also they need to just bite the goddamn bullet and drop the finished movies to Disney+, they're gonna have like one release a month in 2022 at this rate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Unless you distract him with food

Well that goes without saying. This is a fair fight. No kryptonite and no food.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Vince MechMahon posted:

Other than Superman.

Unless it's a rap battle. Goku definitely won that one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gavok posted:

Other than Superman.

You're a great poster so I'm going to pretend this little bit of ridiculousness never happened. Poppycock and balderdash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like the pro-Superman arguments of that debate are dated.

Goku punched "an entire universe's worth of time" once, defeating it.

I don't know what the hell that means but I'm pretty sure that gives him a fighting chance against most versions of Superman.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kid Goku<Golden Age Superman<Teen Goku<Post-Crisis Superman<DBZ Goku<Silver Age Superman<DB Super Goku.

This is the correct and only power ranking. There is no more need to discuss it.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

They'd just be friends and hang out and eat sandwiches together, duh

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

America Chavez has been cast for Dr. Strange 2, yeah. All the Young Avengers are pretty much being lined up. There are also rumors that Patriot will be in Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and Kid Loki will be in Loki. Hulkling is the only one who I think hasn't really been rumored yet, but Secret Invasion or Captain Marvel 2 would be good spots for him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like the pro-Superman arguments of that debate are dated.

Goku punched "an entire universe's worth of time" once, defeating it.

I don't know what the hell that means but I'm pretty sure that gives him a fighting chance against most versions of Superman.

Wait, so Goku resurrected Jason Todd?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gavok posted:

That was Goku Prime, come on.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A lot of it comes down to "is the use of Ki energy like using magic on Superman, or what" and if the answer is no then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyl97TG8jbA

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

God ki is basically magic so yes

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe this joke has turned into an actual discussion

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

TwoPair posted:

I cannot believe this joke has turned into an actual discussion

I don't know why the signature move of Something Awful would shock you at this late date. :shrug:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All of my posts were meant as jokes I'm so sorry.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If there's one thing that's clear it's that Gokuman and Superman are far beyond anything seen in the MCU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Are there any TV shows anyone would like to talk about in this, the TV thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Are there any TV shows anyone would like to talk about in this, the TV thread

You watch TV?

Nerd.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Dragonball Z is a TV show

Veotax
May 16, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Dragonball Z is a TV show

One that's based on a comic too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veotax posted:

One that's based on a comic too.

Its a mahn-gah

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So, sorry to derail this talk with TV talk but I somehow doubt we are going to jump into full MCU on TV plot for the next few episodes.

Based on speculation, this is what I suspect we will be dealing with.

Episode 1: 50's Show ala I Love Lucy.
Episode 2: 60's Show ala Bewitched.
Episode 3: 70's Show ala The Brady Bunch.

Following on from that the likely trajectory is as follows.

Episode 4: 80s show ala Full House.
Episode 5: 90s show ala The Fresh Prince of BelAir.
Episode 6: 2000s show ala The Gilmore Girls.
Episode 7: 2010 Show ala Modern Family.
Episode 8: 2020 Show, let's get meta and do it as WandaVision inside WandaVision.
Episode 9: Back to the present, guess we have to wrap up the plot.

That's my theory at least.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I'm like 80% sure it resulted in Bardok being resurrected so maybe.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Barry Convex posted:

the Scarlet Witch ongoing from a few years ago had Wanda addressing this, though it wasn't an answer so much as a "hell if i know"

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

The Question IRL posted:

So, sorry to derail this talk with TV talk but I somehow doubt we are going to jump into full MCU on TV plot for the next few episodes.

Episode 8: 2020 Show, let's get meta and do it as WandaVision inside WandaVision.

Based on what though? The trailers haven't shown any decade specific stuff after the 90s(Rosanne). It's possible that the Halloween scenes are the 2000s meta humor but after that it's all relatively under wraps so either they're really protecting video clips of more sitcom tropes or the last 3 episodes are gonna feature all those casting decisions they made and cover more S.W.O.R.D and maybe even Mephisto plot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

The Question IRL posted:

I feel like by episode 7 we'll have broken free of the sitcom trappings. I mean I like the sitcom trappings, but at some point it has to stop that and go full on into the why are we here thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
i don't think we need to put speculation in spoilers?

the marketing has featured 6 sitcom eras (50s through 00s), so it seems likely that the last three episodes will take mostly/entirely in the real MCU