Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I'm making stem/snack bags as gifts for a few bikes friends and testing the prototypes on my commuter.

These things are the handiest bag I've had on my bike yet. Chuck in gloves, keys, a buff, whatever, and it's ready to access immediately.

Still want to figure out some less temporary ways to attach them then loose hook-and-loop for the stem and a shock cord for the fork.

This is a pretty nifty attachment that you could use, depending on the strap orientation for the Velcro:

https://rockgeist.com/product/spacelink/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I'm making stem/snack bags as gifts for a few bikes friends and testing the prototypes on my commuter.

These things are the handiest bag I've had on my bike yet. Chuck in gloves, keys, a buff, whatever, and it's ready to access immediately.

Still want to figure out some less temporary ways to attach them then loose hook-and-loop for the stem and a shock cord for the fork.

That's super snazzy, I love it! Much fancier than the solution I made so I could clip a portable speaker to my bike, I knotted shoelace looped around the handlebars.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Some pics of my buddy out and about. I normally carry everything in my backpack, and I have an x-blade mudguard I put on in wet weather.

Also I'm now dedicated to keeping my bike inside and repositioning everything around it. Had a real dodgy guy door knocking and casing out my building the other day.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Animal Friend posted:

and repositioning everything around it

This is the way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I really need to remember my phone has a camera so I can take a picture of Elegant George next time I see him. EG is a grey heron I see regularly on the way to work and it always cheers me up.

Anyone come across interesting fauna on their commutes?

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I really need to remember my phone has a camera so I can take a picture of Elegant George next time I see him. EG is a grey heron I see regularly on the way to work and it always cheers me up.

I ran over a big loving rat in Battery Park heading home one night.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sat on my keys! posted:

I ran over a big loving rat in Battery Park heading home one night.

Boy, I gotta say if a rat got itself run over, it's not much of a rat. I've thrown out a few dead rats from the basement where my bike is kept, and saw a mouse scurrying about around there the other day. I'm mildly worried I'll find one in my saddlebags one day.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

At my old commute i used to ride downhill next to a horse pasture and they used to race me along the fence sometimes :horse:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Boy, I gotta say if a rat got itself run over, it's not much of a rat. I've thrown out a few dead rats from the basement where my bike is kept, and saw a mouse scurrying about around there the other day. I'm mildly worried I'll find one in my saddlebags one day.

It decided to run right across the path in front of me. Those lower Manhattan rats don't give a drat, they go where they please.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

alnilam posted:

At my old commute i used to ride downhill next to a horse pasture and they used to race me along the fence sometimes :horse:

That’s sort of magical.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Got paced by an owl once. Kept swooping next to me then landing in front of me and waiting for me to go past again. She was so close I could touch her and she was dead silent

I think she was using my headlight to spot prey.

It made my hair stand on end it was so cool.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

EvilJoven posted:

Got paced by an owl once. Kept swooping next to me then landing in front of me and waiting for me to go past again. She was so close I could touch her and she was dead silent

I think she was using my headlight to spot prey.

It made my hair stand on end it was so cool.

I got swooped by a large owl 17 years ago (eurasian eagle owl, they're huge for owls). Dead silent, super cool, my hair stood on end too. That single encounter turned me into a bit of a bird lover.
On my commute I see deer at least once a week and the occasional fox or badger. I've seen moose twice, had to brake for one of them. They don't look both ways before crossing the road.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

There's bunnies milling about in a park that we cross on the school run. The little ones are *thrilled* every time :kimchi:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

There's a bald eagle that hangs out on the floating bridge that I (used to) commute across. Miss seeing that guy.
Also an insane number of bunnies.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

All these stories are super-cool and you're all very lucky. I'm pretty sure I saw an owl in the day-time back in high school swoop just over me as I came back home after school because I can't explain any other bird being that large and quiet. Owl's are intense.

Aside from my heron I was saw a kitten/young cat in a field. I hoped it wasn't a stray but I didn't stop to find out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Deer and bunnies are so common in the city now it's not really all that special when you see em.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
There are ospreys around San Diego that perch on a few spots along different routes I take, and there is a nest just off of a very popular route that I rode for the first time last week. They are so loving metal.

Some of the waterfront parks have huge rabbit populations and they scatter when you ride near. Gotta make sure you don’t rush. The dumb bastards over.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anza Borrego posted:

There are ospreys around San Diego that perch on a few spots along different routes I take, and there is a nest just off of a very popular route that I rode for the first time last week. They are so loving metal.

Some of the waterfront parks have huge rabbit populations and they scatter when you ride near. Gotta make sure you don’t rush. The dumb bastards over.

Love ospreys. We have one that lives next to our velodrome in a nest on our lights. It's pretty rad except that it shits all over the corner near its nest.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

This is the way.

The couch I'm sitting on folds out into my bed ("I sleep in a racing car...") So there's not much else space. I've always hated that lamp but now I'm liking it. Just need a tray for now while I find a stand that fits.

Sometimes you gotta improvise.

Also I see ducks on the commute I take with my sister when my rostered days off match her working days. And the occasional black swan. Normally chill but the ducks like to catch the morning sun on the tarmac bike path when they've got ducklings with them. So you have to dodge the tiny ones and the occasional parent ducky charging you if you don't leave enough room. I have almost been forced into the river by an angry duck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

Just need a tray for now while I find a stand that fits.

I got two 30" shoe trays so I could let the bike drip off on the floor before moving/wheeling around. In your situation, that might be too much of a nightmare to deal with shuffling.
A single 30" would be fine with the bike vertical like that.

If you need bigger, you could look at dog crate pans, which are really the same thing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have a long john problem.
In the cold season I ride in long johns, with various layers on top depending on conditions. I switch pants when I get to work but usually the long johns stay on all day. For long term comfort and lack of smell I like thin merino wool the best by far, except it wears out too fast. After a few months of commuting the crotch disintegrates on the models I've tried. This is annoying and expensive. Does anyone know of a product with a stronger crotch yet thin and comfy merino for the rest?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Holes are essentially a feature of any lightweight merino knit fabric. Synthetic blends will increase the longevity.

I recently got some merino underwear that is ~15% synthetic and I haven't managed to instantly wear holes in it.

E: I use uniqlo heatech long johns. Not wool, but cheap and comfy.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 23, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm a Canadian nature lover and professional naturalist, living in Australia. Every goddam day I get a stupid grin because I see extremely-common stuff like gum trees (Eucalyptus) and parrots (so many parrots!). These things are boring to my Australian colleagues, but I have also seen an eastern water dragon a couple of times on my commute - I think the same individual - and before I started biking I saw a few echidnas a handful of times when I was coming home after dark. And the usual parent-duck hissing and charging me because they have chicks.

Speaking of herons, there's a white-face heron that hunts in the ditch beside the MUP I ride on, when the ditch is full of water from recent rains. I've seen it enough times, I should give it a name - Elegant George is a good one, but obviously taken :)

alnilam posted:

That's great! Once, so far, a kangaroo (we have a couple of distinct mobs of Eastern Grey Kangaroos around) paced me on the other side of the fence, but only for a few hops, maybe 20 metres.

And I've been swooped a couple of times by magpies. Australian magpies will aggressively defend their nest territories, an area of maybe 200 m around whatever tree they've chosen. I see other riders with zip-ties on their helmets as magpie-deterents but the stand-out encounter I had was the maggie that swooped in silently beside me, pacing me for a bit just off my right shoulder, then SCREAMED a challenge right in my ear. Worth noting, at least one human fatality caused by magpie has been confirmed: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-16/magpie-swooping-attack--man-dies-near-woonona/11515246

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Kangaroos are pretty great. Back when I actually commuted to the office I'd go through this nature reserve most days and most mornings there would be a mob of kangaroos on the last stretch before I got to work. They (usually) get out of the way when they hear you coming...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUsKjLWapIk

100% agreed on magpies, they're dicks. Thankfully I've only known one rider to have blood drawn from an encounter. I've been tempted to bribe some of the locals so they leave me alone during swooping season.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrandonWC/status/1352718654731939842

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So that's what that's called. "Idaho stop". Go figure.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety
Hey pretty new to cycling, looking to trade my car in and just getting a bike to bring to work. My commute would be about an hour each way. Is there an advantage to spending the megabux over something that is 500-600 ?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I generally don't advocate going expensive on a first bike because there's the chance you might want a new one in a few years when you have a better idea of what you're looking for in a bike after some experience riding.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Depends on what you can get for 500. There's some decent entry level bikes with everything you'd need without having any parts that would fail early. We're you looking at specific bikes at a local shop? Bike inventory is a major problem in some areas.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Bingemoose posted:

Hey pretty new to cycling, looking to trade my car in and just getting a bike to bring to work. My commute would be about an hour each way. Is there an advantage to spending the megabux over something that is 500-600 ?

Being a complete novice in the matter I spent some 300 euro on my bike for a daily 20km (round-trip) commute, and haven't regretted it since. I love my bike. He and I get along great. It's this. It was also the only bike available to me during the first lock-down and I didn't feel like shopping around or going online, and frankly I had the first Covid-check to make use of so yeah. I don't know if I got ripped off or not but Coco and I have done great things together.

I think it's really a matter of how far you need to go, the terrain, and the like. If it's not a long commute, then maybe an average bike would do? That's the impression I have but really I am NOT an expert by any means. Just someone who started doing this this year, has enjoyed it, and has never not worn shorts while doing it.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

Depends on what you can get for 500. There's some decent entry level bikes with everything you'd need without having any parts that would fail early. We're you looking at specific bikes at a local shop? Bike inventory is a major problem in some areas.

Havent been looking but a friend of mine recommended spending like a grand or two on a bike because of how light the newer ones are.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bingemoose posted:

There's definitely tangible advantages to spending 1500 bucks or so on a new whip, but over that you're mostly buying lightness.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bingemoose posted:

The biggest things to avoid in an entry level bike are a Tourney rear derailleur, freewheel based wheel set, and Tourney ST-EF41 flat bar shifters.

Buy whatever model comes with parts spec above those 3 things and it'll be a bike that lasts quite a long time and will still be good enough youll not regret it down the line.

Avoiding these three things is super easy. Just don't get a bike with Tourney written on the rear derailleur (the front one is fine as long as it's the Tourney FD that uses an Allen key cable bolt) or shifters that look like this:

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Being a complete novice in the matter I spent some 300 euro on my bike for a daily 20km (round-trip) commute, and haven't regretted it since. I love my bike. He and I get along great. It's this. It was also the only bike available to me during the first lock-down and I didn't feel like shopping around or going online, and frankly I had the first Covid-check to make use of so yeah. I don't know if I got ripped off or not but Coco and I have done great things together.

I think it's really a matter of how far you need to go, the terrain, and the like. If it's not a long commute, then maybe an average bike would do? That's the impression I have but really I am NOT an expert by any means. Just someone who started doing this this year, has enjoyed it, and has never not worn shorts while doing it.

So it really doesnt matter just find something that is comfortable and works? For me its a lot of miles on the highway and its cold as ef where I am.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bingemoose posted:

So it really doesnt matter just find something works?

All comes down to how long something will work for. The cheaper you go, the quicker stuff will wear out and cost you retail to replace.

You can prob get 9spd with hydraulic disc brakes for 800-1000 USD. 9 speeds should preclude the lowest tier stuff. Figure $2-300 for rack, fenders, locks, helmet. Stuff for your commute.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The problem with 9 speed is for some reason 9 speed Altus to Alivio just seems overly finicky when it comes to derailleur adjustment and hanger alignment compared to 8 speed. I'd much prefer 8 speed Altus for a commuter. 9 speed Deore and Sora are fine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Bingemoose posted:

So it really doesnt matter just find something that is comfortable and works? For me its a lot of miles on the highway and its cold as ef where I am.
How much biking experience do you have?

When I started bike-commuting, it had been more than 10 years since I'd owned a bike. I didn't know what I'd find uncomfortable or what might be a dealbreaker on a bike. So I found a partly-broken bike and fixed it up (wrenching on a bike is almost entirely a matter of using regular tools after watching a couple of youtube videos, I had no real trouble). After a month, that bike broke again, so I bought the cheapest "hardtail" mountainbike (front suspension, no rear suspension) I could find new locally, and I've been very happy with it.

My commute is less than half of yours, and I'm never anywhere near to a fast road. I think leaving plenty of room (budget) for a future upgrade is the best plan. Get something "decent" for half your budget (I guess around $1K) and after riding it for a month, think about whether you'd like to upgrade to something lighter, or with a different geometry, or a different gear layout. All of the accessories - lights, helmet, lock, etc. - will transfer over, saving some money on an upgrade compared to a everything-new purchase.

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

How much biking experience do you have?

Very little I mountain biked for a couple of summers when I was young. But have barely ridden road bikes. It's also a lot of hills. Yeah I might look for something around 1k and see if I even enjoy cycling at all before I drop some serious coin.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Also consider bike parking situation at work and home. The more secure your parking spot is the more willing I would be to spend the big bucks. Inside on both ends of the commute is optimal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh yeah security is important. I find my own situation good enough but bike theft in Paris is rampant so I barely use it for anything but my commute. Still our basement has been broken into before and my school’s bike parking could easily be breached so it’s not something I want to put too much cash into.