Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know what Babysitter Super Sleuth is specifically referring to, but with Cyberpunk 20XX (and also Shadowrun in a similar vein) both "balance" the installation of cyber augments by baking into the mechanics certain ways it dissociates you from your humanity or otherwise removes you from being "natural". In the Cyberpunk RPGs you usually have an Empathy score that goes down as you get more augments, and if your Empathy score hits 0, you enter a cyber-psychosis killing state and the character reverts to a GM-controlled NPC. This is kind of lovely, given plenty of people who do have modern day "augments" or artificial limbs manage not to do this.

The way I read it was they're probably replacing/augmenting parts of the player's brain as well in order to control those limbs with cannons/blades/claws/etc, and when their Empathy score ticks down to 0 that means there's nothing of the player's brain left so they become an automated killing machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the OG cyberpsychosis mechanic just sounds like a fun roleplaying contrivance and way of gauging how scary your guy looks

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Not really. It's a super obvious case of "you are not allowed to be as cool as the guys in the illustrations" that afflicted all 90s rpgs. Hence turning you into an NPC on a random dice roll.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Terrible Opinions posted:

Not really. It's a super obvious case of "you are not allowed to be as cool as the guys in the illustrations" that afflicted all 90s rpgs. Hence turning you into an NPC on a random dice roll.

40k in its various flavours always had a problem with this too. The lore, and books, were full of cool mutants, demons, and weird monster men and you're like "Wow cool I can't wait to be a psyker!" and then three sessions in you kill your whole team by accident and the DM's just like "Yeah I guess you're a crazy monster now, everyone gets to roll up new sheets."

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

killing your entire team and permanently chaosfrying yourself in the process sounds like you get to be exactly as cool as the illustrations though.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Nuebot posted:

40k in its various flavours always had a problem with this too. The lore, and books, were full of cool mutants, demons, and weird monster men and you're like "Wow cool I can't wait to be a psyker!" and then three sessions in you kill your whole team by accident and the DM's just like "Yeah I guess you're a crazy monster now, everyone gets to roll up new sheets."
That's why we play Black Crusade in this household, where you start as a crazy monster.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Nuebot posted:

Deathwatch was pretty good at making you feel like the Space Marines in the illustrations, including having in-built protections for Psykers so there far less chance for your head to be suddenly replaced with a Daemon Prince.

Downside was that it was really easy to become wildly overpowered, and really hard to balance on the GM side of things.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFZD9YyAGZ0

I watched Beowulf earlier today and then I found this channel and I really like his analysis.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nuebot posted:

You also killed everyone while trying to make someone drop their gun, too. It's not like you were doing anything cool.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's why we play Black Crusade in this household, where you start as a crazy monster.

This tbh. If you don't have eye-stalks, a centaur body and are so beautiful you drive men to madness by the end of a low level campaign what are you doing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Grondoth posted:

You also killed everyone while trying to make someone drop their gun, too. It's not like you were doing anything cool.

Every time. I've sworn off of ever disarming people again since the last time I tried, my character's gun exploded in his hand and blew his entire arm off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

Every time. I've sworn off of ever disarming people again since the last time I tried, my character's gun exploded in his hand and blew his entire arm off.

How is this not deemed a successful effort to disarm someone? It's 40K, after all :colbert:

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Ghostlight posted:

killing your entire team and permanently chaosfrying yourself in the process sounds like you get to be exactly as cool as the illustrations though.

I mean, you're part of the illustration, you're just in that pile of inevitable pile of body parts ever 40K cover character is standing on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How is this not deemed a successful effort to disarm someone? It's 40K, after all :colbert:

It's not supposed to blow your arm off it's supposed to blow their arm off!

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Michael Caine posted:

You were only supposed to blow their bloody arms off!

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
so this video popped up in my recommended and apparently selling literally radioactive poo poo online under the guise of it being good for you because "negative ions" is... a thing? :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BA5bw1EV5I

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

stillvisions posted:

I mean, you're part of the illustration, you're just in that pile of inevitable pile of body parts ever 40K cover character is standing on.
if you meet chaos on the road, then adopt it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The way I read it was they're probably replacing/augmenting parts of the player's brain as well in order to control those limbs with cannons/blades/claws/etc, and when their Empathy score ticks down to 0 that means there's nothing of the player's brain left so they become an automated killing machine.

You could take something like that literally, just like you could take HP in a game as literal pints of blood or chunks of flesh, but I think it's meant to be at least partially abstracted in the same way. And like, it's not far off from the reality that yeah if you were installing cyber-eyes in your head that constantly gave you targeting reticles and a feed of personal and physiological data on every person you looked at, then it would alter how you experience mundane things like being in the checkout at the supermarket, compatibility chips in your brain or not.

But the execution is the issue here. Having those things installed immediately deducts from your Empathy score, with buildup leading to random "gently caress you" rolls until you lose control of the character. Disassociation may happen as you alter more of your body to be a more efficient murder machine, in an effort to stay alive feeding on the scraps of bloated corporations, but there is also something inherently problematic about saying advanced technological limbs or other body parts will inevitably make you inhuman and go crazy. I don't think this is something that was really considered when it was baked into games like the Cyberpunk RPGs or Shadowrun.

It's a simplistic attempt at balance that (as other people have mentioned) still failed to even do that often because of inherent flaws in the system math. Also maybe a "roleplaying" hook for angst, which failed at that because a lot of this was all unwillingly foisted on you from random die rolls. Other games of the time like Vampire would have similar attempts to juggle humanity scores with self-destructive actions and tended to lapse into similar "consequences", so I don't think this was all "comically, insanely, over the top ableist", unless there's something else people keep bringing up on twitter about the old games that I missed. It's dated and aged exceptionally poorly, and the race stuff even moreso, but tabletop RPGs also live in the shadow of D&D and I think a lot of distorted notions of what are appropriate ways to portray other cultures, people of differing abilities, or generally how to approach roleplaying and player/game master interactions. Even when a game is going "Oh, yeah, well I'm making a game that's not D&D. Here's all the ways it's not D&D! Look how distinct from D&D we are!" like a huge glut of 80s and 90s tabletop games were obsessed with doing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 22, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The latest edition of Cyberpunk, RED, at least finally said that cyberware for medical purposes does not affect your perception of self. It's only when you install razors in your fingers and overlock your nervous system to dodge bullets you start thinking differently. This is a very small change that has been absent in the big cyberpunk RPGs for their entire lifetimes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

nurmie posted:

so this video popped up in my recommended and apparently selling literally radioactive poo poo online under the guise of it being good for you because "negative ions" is... a thing? :stare:

Gonna crack the electron gun outta a bunch of old monitors and get to work!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nuns with Guns posted:

You could take something like that literally, just like you could take HP in a game as literal pints of blood or chunks of flesh, but I think it's meant to be at least partially abstracted in the same way. And like, it's not far off from the reality that yeah if you were installing cyber-eyes in your head that constantly gave you targeting reticles and a feed of personal and physiological data on every person you looked at, then it would alter how you experience mundane things like being in the checkout at the supermarket, compatibility chips in your brain or not.

But the execution is the issue here. Having those things installed immediately deducts from your Empathy score, with buildup leading to random "gently caress you" rolls until you lose control of the character. Disassociation may happen as you alter more of your body to be a more efficient murder machine, in an effort to stay alive feeding on the scraps of bloated corporations, but there is also something inherently problematic about saying advanced technological limbs or other body parts will inevitably make you inhuman and go crazy. I don't think this is something that was really considered when it was baked into games like the Cyberpunk RPGs or Shadowrun.

It's a simplistic attempt at balance that (as other people have mentioned) still failed to even do that often because of inherent flaws in the system math. Also maybe a "roleplaying" hook for angst, which failed at that because a lot of this was all unwillingly foisted on you from random die rolls. Other games of the time like Vampire would have similar attempts to juggle humanity scores with self-destructive actions and tended to lapse into similar "consequences", so I don't think this was all "comically, insanely, over the top ableist", unless there's something else people keep bringing up on twitter about the old games that I missed. It's dated and aged exceptionally poorly, and the race stuff even moreso, but tabletop RPGs also live in the shadow of D&D and I think a lot of distorted notions of what are appropriate ways to portray other cultures, people of differing abilities, or generally how to approach roleplaying and player/game master interactions. Even when a game is going "Oh, yeah, well I'm making a game that's not D&D. Here's all the ways it's not D&D! Look how distinct from D&D we are!" like a huge glut of 80s and 90s tabletop games were obsessed with doing.

agreed but it think its less the "cyberlimbs" and more "targeting computers in your brains + weapon implants" gently caress with your perception and damage your empathy because eventually everything looks like a target. etc. anyway, i believe 2077 has kind of walked away from that and made it an excuse corpos/cops make when someone has a violent breakdown so they don't have to invest in mental health, all the cyberpsychos in the game are either legit sociopaths or people who had legit giant breakdowns etc. the sociopaths get picked up by the cops and turned into elite police units because ACAB while the others will be gunned down or disappeared.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but it think its less the "cyberlimbs" and more "targeting computers in your brains + weapon implants" gently caress with your perception and damage your empathy because eventually everything looks like a target. etc. anyway, i believe 2077 has kind of walked away from that and made it an excuse corpos/cops make when someone has a violent breakdown so they don't have to invest in mental health, all the cyberpsychos in the game are either legit sociopaths or people who had legit giant breakdowns etc. the sociopaths get picked up by the cops and turned into elite police units because ACAB while the others will be gunned down or disappeared.

Oh yeah this is a situation that is super easily fixed by pointing out that the things that degrade your mental or emotional well-being are the probably-illegal augments whose sole purpose is making you a more optimal criminal cyber-killer, or the byproduct of other trauma compounded on top of defective or dangerous cybeware. The problem lies in the older versions of the game where there was no delineation, or any similar games that still don't do that.

It reminds me of how cyberware is handled in a much smaller, more compact cyberpunk pen and paper RPG called Technoir, where characters can get cyberware installed, the problem is it's absurdly expensive and bound to drag them down into a cycle of debt with loan sharks and dubious dealers, or they're badass reminders of near-death experiences. It's a much smaller game though and doesn't waste page space drooling over gear and granular combat to the degree the Cyberpunk and Shadowrun do.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
James Rolfe plays his 3 year old's Mario Maker levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAp6aFUbiI

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Patrick Explains The O.C. (And Why It's Great)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeN_ib0q9qk

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

James Rolfe plays his 3 year old's Mario Maker levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAp6aFUbiI

Fantastic. The one she didn't even start because I assume she was immediately distracted by something else is the most little kid thing ever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

nurmie posted:

also, DaThings crushing it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLBB9zaOD4U

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

yeah. they basicaly put radium in poo poo for decades because it was cool and glowy. it started facing out in the 20s and 30s especially after the radium girls type events.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh yeah this is a situation that is super easily fixed by pointing out that the things that degrade your mental or emotional well-being are the probably-illegal augments whose sole purpose is making you a more optimal criminal cyber-killer, or the byproduct of other trauma compounded on top of defective or dangerous cybeware. The problem lies in the older versions of the game where there was no delineation, or any similar games that still don't do that.

It reminds me of how cyberware is handled in a much smaller, more compact cyberpunk pen and paper RPG called Technoir, where characters can get cyberware installed, the problem is it's absurdly expensive and bound to drag them down into a cycle of debt with loan sharks and dubious dealers, or they're badass reminders of near-death experiences. It's a much smaller game though and doesn't waste page space drooling over gear and granular combat to the degree the Cyberpunk and Shadowrun do.

yeah. pretty much. poo poo like this does make me curious for the future when mechanical limbs are advanced enough to "feel" 1to1 with real limbs because i am sure that will cause lots of real psychological issues, not "hurdur smashing spree" more "whats real and brain poo poo" like that. like really hosed up version of phantom limb.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Really enjoyed this video on historic fake flower making techniques from a fashion historian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTWsDC24IIw

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

I mean, they're not lying. It will relieve you of THOSE issues and it WILL last you a lifetime...

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrebUD0pk0

drat dunkey has bad taste

e: he's beaten rdr2 three times

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 23, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfdls1fqJE
Video almost nobody has watched but is about my pet peeve from the Now You See Me series, they like to claim that the characters are just stage magicians but they frequently are just straight up wizards.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Deranged.

edit: LMAO heroes of the storm

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean it belongs nowhere near a Top 10 list for the year but Blizzard did a good job reviving the game after they themselves killed it. Granted I say this from the perspective of having zero interest in laddering, and only playing an hour or two of ARAM or vs AI on the weekends with some friends to mop up our dalies.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Grapplejack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrebUD0pk0

What? :stare: Didn't Dunkey say Assassins Creed was a bad series because there was too much walking and talking? lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People's opinions will never make sense. That's just bein a human baby.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Grapplejack posted:

water is wet

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKfdls1fqJE
Video almost nobody has watched but is about my pet peeve from the Now You See Me series, they like to claim that the characters are just stage magicians but they frequently are just straight up wizards.

This is actually a pretty fun video, I'm gonna check out more stuff by this dude. Also he kinda reminds me of Chris Pratt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair Dunkey has yet to come out and say he's done making bad videos so his Best of 2020 one tracks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dias posted:

This is actually a pretty fun video, I'm gonna check out more stuff by this dude. Also he kinda reminds me of Chris Pratt.

I'm not sure why the Youtube algorithm served it up to me but I did like it. Although he does need to invest in either a lav or something so he isn't just holding his microphone all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

muscles like this! posted:

I'm not sure why the Youtube algorithm served it up to me but I did like it. Although he does need to invest in either a lav or something so he isn't just holding his microphone all the time.

I thought he was doing a "standup" bit at the start, but nope, no mic stand.