Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Virtue posted:

This remains one of my favorite Disney conspiracy theories.

Having stood right in front of it (which I don't recommend, it's goddamn spooky), I can debunk this. It's absolutely meant to be him. It's not the best likeness, but the key things are there, and lord almighty it's weird to see it upclose.

(Truly none of the presidents look exactly as they should. Obama looks like he was stung by a gently caress ton of bees and George W. Bush looks like his head got shrunk.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Having stood right in front of it (which I don't recommend, it's goddamn spooky), I can debunk this. It's absolutely meant to be him. It's not the best likeness, but the key things are there, and lord almighty it's weird to see it upclose.

(Truly none of the presidents look exactly as they should. Obama looks like he was stung by a gently caress ton of bees and George W. Bush looks like his head got shrunk.)

W. was built correctly but had a run-in with Trader Sam.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Are there actual close up pictures somewhere? I don't want to look but now I'm intrigued.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I only went in once on tour, and it was because I was with a senator and “it’s my civic duty”. That being said, I never saw the 45 version of the show.

The Hall of Inaccurate Presidents is still my favorite version of the show.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How are wait times set for the rides, are there sensors or do cast members set it manually

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

How are wait times set for the rides, are there sensors or do cast members set it manually

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Mostly replaced by long range magic band scanners at the beginning and end of the queue, I believe.

Back when I was attractions and we had those, it was fairly automatic for rides without fast passes but with fastpass they basically called it in after gauging the fastpass and standby lines.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

As a follow up question why do they look a bit off? You'd think if anyone could make an amazing animatronic it would be the Disney Imagineers ®. Maybe trying to avoid the uncanny valley?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Many of the pre-Reagan presidents’s face molds were recycled for Spaceship Earrh. And they look like people there. Probably more a thing of failing to render real people to photographic levels easily.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Silly Burrito posted:

Are there actual close up pictures somewhere? I don't want to look but now I'm intrigued.

EDIT: I didn't realize until just now that robo-Trump's jacket is open, so you can see that the imagineers were able to replicate his too-long tie.

My wife got this for me on a t-shirt, complete with sideways writing that matches how it would look when you're wearing the card on a lanyard. Then we got back to WDW and found out that the cards had been discontinued.

Still got a laugh from a couple CMs. :shobon:

Boxman fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 21, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cais posted:

Mostly replaced by long range magic band scanners at the beginning and end of the queue, I believe.

Back when I was attractions and we had those, it was fairly automatic for rides without fast passes but with fastpass they basically called it in after gauging the fastpass and standby lines.

That's cool thanks for the help

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Boxman posted:

EDIT: I didn't realize until just now that robo-Trump's jacket is open, so you can see that the imagineers were able to replicate his too-long tie.

Are his hands smaller than typical also, or is that my imagination playing tricks on me?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Virtue posted:

As a follow up question why do they look a bit off? You'd think if anyone could make an amazing animatronic it would be the Disney Imagineers ®. Maybe trying to avoid the uncanny valley?

It's partially that, it's partially that they may have to pay royalties for certain images, it's partially that presidents may have some say if the resemblance is too similar, etc.

Also, I didn't realize Clinton and Trump looked so similar below their eyes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I'm not trying to troll but that still looks more like Hillary to me. YMMV.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Silly Burrito posted:

I'm not trying to troll but that still looks more like Hillary to me. YMMV.

It looks like their tragic lovechild.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Dreamed/nightmared they got rid of Fast and furious party bus ride, only for the replacement to just be Harry Potter Night Bus using the same queue and screens and buses.

Also online disney store is selling some of the limited edition Epcot posters unlimited , but none of the good ones,except The Land, so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

quote:

We are thrilled to be starting the process of bringing back to work more singers, dancers, technicians and other cast members, from one of the most popular shows at Walt Disney World Resort. Expected this summer, the Harambe Theatre at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park will host that fan-favorite troupe of musical storytellers, along with Simba and his friends, in a celebration of the incomparable “Festival of the Lion King.”

When it returns, “Festival of the Lion King” will be presented in a modified format to be mindful of the current environment. There will be adjustments to the show on stage and backstage, including updates to choreography to allow for appropriate physical distancing. We’ll also adjust how the audience is seated, in line with other theater-based experiences at Walt Disney World Resort. 

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Tasha Sounart, Theme Park Associate Creative Director at Pixar, has been tweeting out some interesting things about Pixar Pier. Had no idea Lamplight Lounge had a "story" to it, but it makes sense. Thread:
https://twitter.com/tashasounart/status/1352294388857147393

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A bunch of Peoplemover brochures and Disneyland monorail documents went up on Textfiles.

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1352796172361072640

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Luigi Thirty posted:

A bunch of Peoplemover brochures and Disneyland monorail documents went up on Textfiles.

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/1352796172361072640

:allears:

DisneyDocs.net is another great timesuck in this vein if you're a parks history nerd.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Oh gently caress yes this is extremely my poo poo

It's me, the guy who loves the Magic but also wants to ruin it by learning how it works

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
What are the good website or, sigh, vloggers for planning a visit to Busch Gardens Tampa? Is it small enough I can just show up, wing it, and see/ride everything?

I think I have a skip the line pass, so I assume it will be fine. But it feels weird to know I'll be going to an amusement park and not have a fixed plan in mind.

How about like, what's the good food there? Or is it just standard park fare.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I don't think BGT has a specific fansite, it's generally lumped in with Orlando area parks. Maybe Orlando Theme Park News? Or reddit/rollercoasters.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The food there is so much better than Disney's it's not even funny. The bar be cue place is great. If you have a high stomaches get the all day food pass.
The only ride that ever has a long line is Cheetah Hunt. It's worth any wait though, it's probably top 5 roller coasters in the world.

If you can stomaches it Sheikra is amazing and so is falcons fury.

You can totally go there and just explore for the day and have fun. It is an amazing park and really puts animal kingdom in perspective and shows why Disney was so scared of BGT.

Make sure you go on the train ride, it's actually the safari tour.

If you have any other questions let me know. If you like coasters even a little bit make sure you ride Cheetah Hunt and Montu. I would actually argue that Cheetah Hunt does to roller coasters what Tower of Terror did to elevator drop rides.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 23, 2021

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dragonfire or Zambia are the places to go for food. It's equivalent in service to disney quick service but the food is so good

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How could I forget Kumba jfc what a great park. I wish Iron Gwazi didn't get delayed. I haven't rode Tigris but I heard it's ok.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Cais posted:

Magic band readers are used everywhere at this point to measure times, but most of the bigger rides now are monitored by a team that watches the queues via camera and update the wait time manually based on where the end of the line is/how long the FP line is/other factors. At least that's how it worked pre-pandemic. I assume it's just all readers/local teams posting their own times since all of the assumptions the software used are out the window now with social distancing and reduced capacities. I was helping build a new, more accurate model for wait times when the parks closed.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

The food there is so much better than Disney's it's not even funny. The bar be cue place is great. If you have a high stomaches get the all day food pass.
The only ride that ever has a long line is Cheetah Hunt. It's worth any wait though, it's probably top 5 roller coasters in the world.

If you can stomaches it Sheikra is amazing and so is falcons fury.

You can totally go there and just explore for the day and have fun. It is an amazing park and really puts animal kingdom in perspective and shows why Disney was so scared of BGT.

Make sure you go on the train ride, it's actually the safari tour.

If you have any other questions let me know. If you like coasters even a little bit make sure you ride Cheetah Hunt and Montu. I would actually argue that Cheetah Hunt does to roller coasters what Tower of Terror did to elevator drop rides.

Oh man, youve got me hella hyped for the park. I got the food pass too. It was a big package deal on black friday.

I havent ridden any big coasters in a while. Hulk at Islands of Adventure makes me grey out so I've been avoiding big G coasters for a while. But I kinda want to see if it still happens. Ive heard the praises of Cheetah Hunt so that is def on the list.

Plan is probably: go at open, ride some rides, then explore animals etc during the mid-day, then ride the rest of the rides closer to park close.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In order of thrill I would say:

Space Mountain Level:
Sandserpent

Rock n Roller Coaster Level
Cobras Curse
Scorpion (although it's a inverted coaster with a lap bar)
Montu

Hulk Level:
Kumba
Cheetah Hunt

In ascending order. I love love love Cheetah Hunt but the only scary part is the beginning when it goes up the tower. Sheikra really isn't that bad at all except for the gimmick it has which is terrifying lol.

I don't ride falcons fury cuz I'm a baby but my girlfriend swears by it and loves it and she thinks Tower of Terror is too scary. I'm not too sure about Tigris never rode it.

The water rides are great too but nothing amazing. Have fun I hope you love it as much as I do.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 23, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo is surprise soft opening right now

https://twitter.com/jo_taku150/status/1353509968628961281?s=19

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm browing all my hard drives looking for one particular file and stumbled upon this and thought I'd share. I think this is sold on t-shirts and whatnot now, but it's usually hard(er) to read.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Boxman posted:

It's actually his tie (well, he wore it at least once) as all the Presidents from Jimmy Carter onward have some form of clothing from the actual person on the figure, usually a suit donated by them or their families. Bill Clinton handed his wrist watch to the Imagineers when he noticed they made the figure check his watch because he did when they filmed him for reference. So now Clinton's animatronic wears the real deal's watch. It's super cool.

As for Trump's outfit, it's the suit he wore to his first State of the Union (or at least the jacket is)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

What a wonderful sign.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Eric Idle dunking on Disney fans is the crossover I didn’t know I needed

https://twitter.com/ericidle/status/1353532671343779840?s=21

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That rules

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/EricIdle/status/1353534055443165185

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Eric Idle owns

Side question: wait, are Universal Florida annual passes really this cheap!? The cheapest option seems to be basically the cost of a 2-day 2-park pass. What's the catch? Besides blackouts during dates when I wouldn't be there anyway

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah they've always been dirt cheap. They used to have a lot of upsell options like per day fast pass and vip parking but I'm not sure about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://twitter.com/DisneyParks/status/1353811058838876161

They're making the Jungle Cruise less racist so expect totally sane feedback from Disney fans today