Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The game could really use more paralogues with niche requirements like a different Ferdie/Lys paralogue you get thats CF specific, or alternate pairing paralogues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just made this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

We need an Edelgard 'Peace was never an option'.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm in the process of immanentising the Edelgoose.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Prurient Squid posted:

I just made this.

Gotta slap Flayn’s face on that kid in the stroller

Also have a relevant Bernie meme

https://twitter.com/ericlide/status/1352483825927000074?s=21

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/adelnath_/status/1310559098866343936?s=20

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I love how 2 years later this thread still looks like a CIA document.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just got Edelgard and Hubert up to what I assume is a pretty high support level. He's a very "subete wa all is for my lord" type energy but he explains that he doesn't actually care about duty or the feudal system an is just motivated by pure Edelgard simping. Also he thinks nothing of just ignoring everything Edelgard says because obviously he knows what's best for her and if she doesn't like it he can just have him executed. Edelgard don't get no respect.

e: Another point. I compared Hubert to Oberstein in Legend of The Galactic Heros but actually he more reminds me of the version of Oberstein in the Takarazuka Revue's rendition of Legend of the Galactic Heros where Oberstering is played as having a totally different personality and is more like Loki.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 23, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, Edelgoose is complete.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

magnifique

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Prurient Squid posted:

holy poo poo

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Prurient Squid posted:

I am the horrible creeping heir to the empire that is the most worst to you! I will use my army to mischief you and I will press Raging Storm. I wobble my snake-front-Hubert and I waggle my bag-back-Ferdie and they meet in the middle to plan a bad idea to upset you. I flap back and forth my business rear for balancing and I snapple-pap my feet all up and down Fódlan for terrible reasons, and you don’t like it. I am the emperor and you are the miserable dragon with no supports. I invented democracy and it was the best idea.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It is a beautiful day in Fodlan, and you are a horrible goose.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shinji117 posted:

The nobles wanted a double-crested Emperor to be the perfectly crested puppet figurehead

See, I think this is where our interpretations of this event breaks down.

Why do the nobles aggressively put down Ionius's attempts to seize power from them (i.e., Duke Aegir)? Because he's powerful enough that he can seize total power and squeeze them out. Why then would those nobles create an imperial heir that is super powerful? Well, logically, they wouldn't. The more powerful your "puppet", the more you risk them using that power against you. In this scenario, the most logical course of action is to make sure Edelgard is weak and powerless, and so does not have the ability to defy you. Making her more powerful just makes it more likely she'll ensure her 'puppetmaster" is likely to end up deposed or dead. This just does not flow logically for me.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

Why do the nobles aggressively put down Ionius's attempts to seize power from them (i.e., Duke Aegir)? Because he's powerful enough that he can seize total power and squeeze them out. Why then would those nobles create an imperial heir that is super powerful? Well, logically, they wouldn't. The more powerful your "puppet", the more you risk them using that power against you. In this scenario, the most logical course of action is to make sure Edelgard is weak and powerless, and so does not have the ability to defy you. Making her more powerful just makes it more likely she'll ensure her 'puppetmaster" is likely to end up deposed or dead. This just does not flow logically for me.

They are being manipulated by Arundel, of course, but a big part of their plan is simply that Edelgard has a shortened lifespan thanks to the experiments, and of course Arundel and pals think they have totally under control and can kill her if she goes wrong. She only really manages to outmuscle Arundel with the help of Byleth, which is missing in the other routes. Having someone with the most powerful magical artifact who can turn back time is pretty great for your personal safety. Of course a real life imperial coup like this, the Hojo's for example, would want a purely figurehead emperor but I think most of the Imperial houses are revanchist, it's how Edelgard woos Caspar and Linhardt's dads afterall, with the promise of reuniting the Empire. so a powerful Alexander the Great esque figure who conquers the continent and dies in a blaze of glory leaving them to rule it is what they want.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

All Edelgard's crests did was make her real good at violence (what the Slytherins wanted) and make her a good symbol because of the cultural association with the Crest of Flames (what the Insurrectionists wanted). Her actual political power came from her own dealings with the Slytherins, Hevring and Bergliez, while the rest of the Insurrectionists underestimated Edeglard's political skill (again, see Aegir's reaction to her coronation). Despite what the Church says, Crests do not actually confer political power or right to rule by themselves; Crests only really increase the bearer's capacity for violence. For them to confer political power and right to rule, others need to acknowledge and follow the person with the crests, and if they don't then whoops Crests don't help with ruling. Someone with the right Crests who no-one in government has to obey (because the crest-bearer is a puppet), but who lots of non-insurrectionists believe in (because of the crest narrative of the Church) seems like they'd be a pretty good figurehead.

In any case, none of that explains anything about how "Thales, after getting the Aegir land after Ludwig is arrested and Ferdinand defects, abuses those on the land while using Ludwig as a scapegoat" leads to "Edelgard lies to Byleth about the Insurrectionists ordering what happened to her below Enbarr", which was your original claim.

In rereading your points to make sure I was being accurate, I also saw "As far as I can see, everything prior to the holy tomb (backstory included) plays out more or less the same way, regardless of route. You disagree." That isn't true: I agree that everything plays out the same in the backstory regardless of routes, I'm just 100% positive this includes that the Insurrectionists handed Edelgard and her family over to the Slytherins for experimentation, whereas you seem to think this is just something Edelgard invented.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Shinji117 posted:

In rereading your points to make sure I was being accurate, I also saw "As far as I can see, everything prior to the holy tomb (backstory included) plays out more or less the same way, regardless of route. You disagree." That isn't true: I agree that everything plays out the same in the backstory regardless of routes, I'm just 100% positive this includes that the Insurrectionists handed Edelgard and her family over to the Slytherins for experimentation, whereas you seem to think this is just something Edelgard invented.

I did not say that, and if that was what you took from that, no, I agree, she and her siblings were given over, regardless of route. I"m five mins from logging off, but I'll re-read that post tomorrow to see where you might have got that impression from.

Eimi posted:

They are being manipulated by Arundel, of course, but a big part of their plan is simply that Edelgard has a shortened lifespan thanks to the experiments, and of course Arundel and pals think they have totally under control and can kill her if she goes wrong. She only really manages to outmuscle Arundel with the help of Byleth, which is missing in the other routes. Having someone with the most powerful magical artifact who can turn back time is pretty great for your personal safety. Of course a real life imperial coup like this, the Hojo's for example, would want a purely figurehead emperor but I think most of the Imperial houses are revanchist, it's how Edelgard woos Caspar and Linhardt's dads afterall, with the promise of reuniting the Empire. so a powerful Alexander the Great esque figure who conquers the continent and dies in a blaze of glory leaving them to rule it is what they want.

I don't totally agree with this interpretation, but this does make it make more sense, yes.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

Melomane Mallet posted:

I did not say that, and if that was what you took from that, no, I agree, she and her siblings were given over, regardless of route. I"m five mins from logging off, but I'll re-read that post tomorrow to see where you might have got that impression from.

I don't totally agree with this interpretation, but this does make it make more sense, yes.

Fair enough. Sorry if I misread or misinterpreted your posts. If you do want to see where I got that impression from, it was mostly from these bits (that I could be misunderstanding)

"CF: Edelgard tells you the crest experiments were b/c of Duke Aegir looking to make a more powerful emperor.

Other routes: But the Ferdie/Lys paralogue ends with her saying that everything happening in Hrym and Ordelia was because Arundel was running things (likely including crest experiments, considering he's also Thales) and blaming Duke Aegir.

So...The possibilities are : Eddie is ignorant of the fact that Arundel and Thales are the same person (hugely unlikely give she interacts with both in White Clouds/and the post Arianrhod CF scene ) or.... she is lying to you about it and the discarded CF code means you're not supposed to let on you know she's lying to you. "

and

"So after a large amount of time thinking about all of everything: this is where things break down in this argument. As far as I can see, everything prior to the holy tomb (backstory included) plays out more or less the same way, regardless of route. You disagree. And honestly, I think that's why these arguments exist: there is no 100% canon answer to somethings, it's all somewhat subjective pertaining to the information you get on the route you're on."

The first felt that you were saying that she was lying about Aegir's responsibility in her situation (handing her over to Thales for crest bullshit), and the second felt that you were trying to say I was using Schrodinger's canon argument a la "well sometimes she was handed over by Aegir and sometimes she wasn't", when my position was always "she was always handed over to Thales by Aegir". Hopefully this helps clear up things if we have been talking past each other.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 23, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Hmmm... I put a lot of effort into grinding Caspar's brawl skill so that he could be a Warmaster and now that I've done it I've lost the unarmed combat ability. I think it might be possible to requip it but it makes me wonder. My strategy with Caspar was to strip him down to try to make him too fast to hit and have a high accuracy but I'm not sure that the same strategy applies with warmaster so I'm not sure if switching to unarmed would be an advantage (i.e. he's carrying an axe with him rather than gauntlets so he might as well have gauntlets).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Prurient Squid posted:

Hmmm... I put a lot of effort into grinding Caspar's brawl skill so that he could be a Warmaster and now that I've done it I've lost the unarmed combat ability. I think it might be possible to requip it but it makes me wonder. My strategy with Caspar was to strip him down to try to make him too fast to hit and have a high accuracy but I'm not sure that the same strategy applies with warmaster so I'm not sure if switching to unarmed would be an advantage (i.e. he's carrying an axe with him rather than gauntlets so he might as well have gauntlets).

Only the weight of your equipped items matters. If you're going barehanded none of the other weapons the character has in their inventory matters regarding speed.

Also, truth-be-told, unarmed combat is quite literally the most worthless ability in the game. The damage increase you get by equipping gauntlets far out-weights the speed loss. Besides, they give you a guaranteed 2x attack regardless. And Caspar is fast enough (and has a natural crit ability) that unless you're running endgame on the hardest difficulty, you're going to be able to kill most enemies in a single combat regardless.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Going unarmed actually means you could quad enemies, but that only really applies to Caspar and maybe Felix since Raphael and Dedue are too slow.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

caspar will always have enough strength to have no speed penalty while wielding training gauntlets (which also have 20 more accuracy than unarmed.) unarmed combat is useless.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The only character in the game who would even have an AS penalty with Training Gauntlets would be Lysithea, who can't even get Unarmed Combat. There may be some insane niche involving equipped weight from other items not letting the quad happen but that's not likely.

Use Unarmed Combat anyway for maximum RIP AND TEAR anyway.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

If punching giant birds to death bare handed is wrong I don't want to be right.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I feel like the weapon changes are fun but people are underutilizing it. For example, I haven't seen a video of Edelgard fist fighting Dimitri

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

I feel like the weapon changes are fun but people are underutilizing it. For example, I haven't seen a video of Edelgard fist fighting Dimitri

This is a very sore spot for me. My understanding is that female characters can't be grapplers. I think I already tried making Edelgard one. It might be because of last minute changes but I don't know. It's very sad.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
You can still use gauntlets in other classes though, which is what I think Tired Moritz was referring to doing. The gender locks of classes sucks though. There's no reason FByleth or Catharine shouldnt be able to take advantage of their boons to brawling in class terms without some DLC shenanigans.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 23, 2021

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
yeah I wanna see Edelgard fistfight in her unique class's clothes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Them gender locking classes after Fates finally stopped gender locking stuff is a real head scratcher. Also they denied Hubie a pretty pony and that's unforgivable.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
It gets defended occasionally as 'adding distinctiveness' to units which is like, technically true to an extent, but is a poor way to do so especially in contrast to how individual class sets helped give you a sense of character identity in Awakening/Fates, and is loving stupid for making gender across said characters the defining thing. It ends up being "actually all women are still the same; bad at punching"

There's some interesting things you can argue exist with it, such as the women getting access to flying earlier but men still can go flier, but locking characters like Catharine completely out of Grappling lines is dumb poo poo and "the DLC fixes this" is not a good argument.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

War Cleric Catherine is definitely sick though

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just tried out Danganronpa on PC after rebuying the trilogy in a sale. Kirigiri really reminds me of Edelgard for some reason.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only female character who can have Unarmed Combat is Byleth in New Game+. So you'd better believe I made sure she had it.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Bongo Bill posted:

The only female character who can have Unarmed Combat is Byleth in New Game+. So you'd better believe I made sure she had it.

War Cleric has unarmed combat built in to the class if you have DLC. I love having Constance cackling like a witch as she caves in peasants skulls with her bare hands. Less effective than gauntlets certainly, but it's got pizzazz

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Having any character who's not canonically much of a physical fighter show up to a sword battle with only their fists is pretty funny.

I did a game once where I made Lindhardt go up through the Grappler classes. It made his supports with Caspar kind of ridiculous.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Sending Caspar bare handed to take out a knight on a horse is pretty funny, confirmed.

e: never bring a horse to a fist fight.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 24, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The one playthrough I had a male Byleth, I made him an assassin w/ Unarmed Combat and Lethality. Just zipping bare-hand around knights and wizards and dragons on the battlefield, snapping necks left and right. It was a good gimmick.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

In Britain there's a bank called Alliance and Leicester so that's literally all I think about when I hear Leicester Alliance. Maybe Claude was just a guy who worked at a bank this whole time?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh speaking of, raise your hand if three houses taught you how to pronounce british names like leicester and gloucester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK, you can definitely equip iron gauntlets on Emperor Edelgard and have a her wade into a battlefield in full armour and punch a dragon in the face and I've gotta say it feels pretty good.

Also petition to rename the game "The Adventures of Edelgard and the Good Boys Who Help Her".

e: and I'm really appreciating Bernie's crest of Indech randomly activating and giving me extra shots.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 24, 2021