Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lol I'm canadian, if it's dipshit american weed with stupid kush names I don't care, if it's boring amsterdam 16% weed I don't care. give me that 20%+ canadian poo poo for these dark northern nights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
space weed snipe

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
remember that episode of Deadwood where Ian McShane had to pee real bad

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

indigi posted:

that was awful and super good acting

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
man i really hope drummer gets to shoot marco inaros in the face

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

indigi posted:

lol for some reason I think of this every now and then and I don't know why

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Shaggar posted:

man i really hope drummer gets to shoot marco inaros in the face

anyone, really, but that seems to be where they're going

I haven't read last the second book so I dunno but it's exciting to watch every week

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wheelscritic/status/1352713502419546114

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the last episode of Expanse kind of sucked bad, way too much Naomi whimpering and taking deep breaths

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

indigi posted:

the last episode of Expanse kind of sucked bad, way too much Naomi whimpering and taking deep breaths

if only she had a microcontroller

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i feel like theres a page missing itt

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I haven't read last the second book so I dunno but it's exciting to watch every week

I'm very much enjoying the return to weekly shows

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
nah it’s been cool that she’s had a couple episodes to be smart and badass in the face of a really lovely situation (that she probably shouldn’t have put herself in but it’s really understandable why she did). sometimes last season she slipped a bit into being holden’s generic science girlfriend and it’s good for her to finally get back to being a protagonist. also what she did two episodes ago was loving lunatic and it needed to have consequences

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it was boring to watch her to the same exact thing over and over again for what felt like 40 minutes of a 50 minute episode

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

indigi posted:

it was boring to watch her to the same exact thing over and over again for what felt like 40 minutes of a 50 minute episode

I was unclear on what exactly the she was doing. I dont remember it from the books.

anyway, it's like five seasons in, a little filler here & there isn't gonna bug me much.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I’m fine with her spending the episode doing Naomi Engineer Magic but some electronics fizz, Naomi moans in pain, Naomi does something and is out of breath repeated 7 or 8 times ain’t it. give her some visually interesting or different poo poo to do

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure she's unplugging the signal transmitter from the antenna and then plugging it back in again with the right timing to send a different message.

It does take a while to get to that point though. And it's not totally clear whether she can actually hear the signal when loving around with the wiring (making the segment where she rehearses the timing a bit superfluous), or if that's an addition purely for the benefit of the audience (in which case IMO it would have been better without it and then we get to hear the modulated message when it cuts over to Drummer).

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DATAhnwcDyU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4ZxDWLwpM

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure she's unplugging the signal transmitter from the antenna and then plugging it back in again with the right timing to send a different message.

It does take a while to get to that point though. And it's not totally clear whether she can actually hear the signal when loving around with the wiring (making the segment where she rehearses the timing a bit superfluous), or if that's an addition purely for the benefit of the audience (in which case IMO it would have been better without it and then we get to hear the modulated message when it cuts over to Drummer).

the message is repeated in a perfect loop, so she memorizes the timing, then repeatedly goes into an unpressurized section of the hull and shorts the transmitter during specific portions of the message so that the actually broadcast message is “tell holden that (...) i’m in control”

it doesn’t make any sense that she gets this perfect every time, and more importantly some of the messages would still be the original when she has to go back to breathe, but it’s still cool

it’s repeated so much so that you have a chance to try to figure what she’s doing

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

indigi posted:

I’m fine with her spending the episode doing Naomi Engineer Magic but some electronics fizz, Naomi moans in pain, Naomi does something and is out of breath repeated 7 or 8 times ain’t it. give her some visually interesting or different poo poo to do

yeah the ep felt flat to me too. a lot of people say book 5 was their fav but there are only two eps left in this season so unless they do something incredible in them, itll be another underwhelming season for me

that said, ep 4 had some really great tension. pity they couldnt keep that up

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the message is repeated in a perfect loop, so she memorizes the timing, then repeatedly goes into an unpressurized section of the hull and shorts the transmitter during specific portions of the message so that the actually broadcast message is “tell holden that (...) i’m in control”

it doesn’t make any sense that she gets this perfect every time, and more importantly some of the messages would still be the original when she has to go back to breathe, but it’s still cool

it’s repeated so much so that you have a chance to try to figure what she’s doing

I think she was touching her helmet to the bulkhead to conduct the sound. They've done it a few times in the series.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
maybe that’s it, it would explain why she’s so accurate. and she still has to memorize the timing to know when to kill the short

i thought it was a great episode. yeah, she’s in enormous pain the entire time, her body is loving wrecked, she just killed an old friend, she’s in total despair about her son, her plans keep failing, but she has poo poo to do

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psycho goreman was a lot of fun in the right state of mind.

not least is has exactly the right kind of bad acting (including from the kids) that is called for in this kind of movie.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

yeah the ep felt flat to me too. a lot of people say book 5 was their fav but there are only two eps left in this season so unless they do something incredible in them, itll be another underwhelming season for me

yeah the ep would have been better if they just cut Naomi’s scenes in half and padded the runtime with Amos and 🍑 just tooling around on bikes meeting drifters. idk how they’re going to finish the series in one more season unless they just straight up ignore the other dimensional aliens or Laconia.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nothing anyone has posted about psycho goreman makes it sound worth watching. so far all I know about it is that there’s bad acting, random body horror, a dumb story, bad effects, and child actors (who virtually always suck). is there anything actually good and not so-bad-it’s-good about it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

indigi posted:

nothing anyone has posted about psycho goreman makes it sound worth watching. so far all I know about it is that there’s bad acting, random body horror, a dumb story, bad effects, and child actors (who virtually always suck).

and i'd say that is fair. if you're looking to watch a good movie, this is not the one (though i honestly think you can scratch the "body horror", slotting in bad effects instead).

but i still very much appreciate it.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 23, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the thing to understand about movies is that the most good one has already been made, in james camerons avatar. but as we, as a population, have rejected that truth we now need to dredge the realms of bad movies for a new path to follow.

also good schlock is hard to come by in 2021. in 2002 i paid $5 for a ticket that let me see then-pretty-new movies ichi the killer, tattoo (a german movie about a serial killer skinning people for their tattoos made by famous artists), and battle royale in one night. those kinds of offers are now pretty rare (and only partially because corona means cinemas don't exist).

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

echinopsis posted:

who’s embarrassed to like titanic?

poo poo I saw it three times in the movies

But don't you see? It's a girl movie. It's got a very central romance plot, which is very by-the-numbers. All of which means it's bad, and bad to like it, or any part of it, except for thousands of people dying and especially the propeller guy. Also it won a ton of awards and a lot of people really enjoyed it and it made an incredible amount of money, so it can't have been that good.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i watched a pretty good "why titanic owns" youtube breakdown and was interested, but not surprised, to learn that despite it being often slagged as a 'chick movie', it had extremely high ratings and rewatches from like, 16-24 year old guys. I think it's a fuckin' great movie, not one of my go-tos, but yeah i've seen it probably five or six times?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like the part with the boobies

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s a monumental piece of filmmaking

it also has some pretty unnecessary parts, like there’s a surprising amount of time spent on the frame story which just doesn’t carry its weight

also leo gives a fairly flat performance for a character who’s supposed to be a charming rogue

overall it stands up, but it’s a looong movie

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the frame story is funny because she's describing all this to her enrapt family and friends and then there's a scene where she gets hosed in the back of a car

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i think that having seen cameron's career over the longer term now, forcing him to wrap it in a tragic love story (which afaik he wasn't into so much, but needed it for funding) was a big fuckup. the abyss was just as poignant and really beyond the moon pool scene we didn't get slapped in the face with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

it also has some pretty unnecessary parts, like there’s a surprising amount of time spent on the frame story which just doesn’t carry its weight

i always forget that it has all that stuff with the modern boat and the submarine and the old lady

they could cut all that out and shave half an hour off the runtime and lose nothing, imo

Jonny 290 posted:

the abyss was just as poignant and really beyond the moon pool scene we didn't get slapped in the face with it

the abyss is a fantastic movie and one of the few i would actually buy in 4k blu-ray whatever if it were available.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

doesn't he just make movies to fund his deep sea diving expeditions? can't really fault him for that

i really liked the abyss. when titanic was first teased with a giant cardboard ship in our local movie theater, i was trying to convince everyone that it was going to be 'the abyss: part 2' and that the whole titanic thing was a big ruse

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the frame story is funny because she's describing all this to her enrapt family and friends and then there's a scene where she gets hosed in the back of a car

and that was the only man i ever actually loved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doom Mathematic posted:

But don't you see? It's a girl movie. It's got a very central romance plot, which is very by-the-numbers. All of which means it's bad, and bad to like it, or any part of it, except for thousands of people dying and especially the propeller guy. Also it won a ton of awards and a lot of people really enjoyed it and it made an incredible amount of money, so it can't have been that good.

and it's often enjoyable to watch a movie with huge attention to detail etc etc.

plus the smug guy gets his just desserts etc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i rewatched the abyss last fall after yeah, not having seen it for like probably 15+ years? just loving gorgeous. also i think when i was a kid i focused on WOW! COOL ROV! and LOOK AT THAT WATER ALIEN but man it has a very strong anti nuke plot, which i always like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i would maybe rewatch titanic but my wife can't stand billy zane. there's also a lot of films i haven't seen from the 2010s as evidenced by my dumb robocop and dredd remake takes

is upgrade any good?