Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Guyver posted:

I'd agree with that.

But I'll be honest most of the time in 40k books the action is something you read to get through for another hit of lore.

Generally, yeah. Ty all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

That's what makes the Crime books so good. The only action is brief and decisive, leaving most of the book to be characters and lore.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The action works when it is absolutely excessive. Give me some massive marine jumping down through the roof onto some unfortunate heretic as an opener and go big from there. Let's describe in glorious detail the passage of a massive battleship through the flank of an enemy cruiser at ramming speed. Dinosaurs with guns on vs Roboskeleton Indiana Jones. The universe is ludicrous and should never, ever be tactically sound.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

Reading through Farsight's Crisis of Faith and Empire of Lies right now, the non-combat segments are pretty decent, gives some good insight about Tau culture, the action bits are mediocre imo.

Oh come on, battlesuits trying to negotiate with Khornate Bloodletters and Bloodhounds ain't stirring your pot?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Immanentized posted:

Oh come on, battlesuits trying to negotiate with Khornate Bloodletters and Bloodhounds ain't stirring your pot?

I admit that bit was amusing and I kinda enjoy the gundam-esque aspect of Tau battlesuits, however the most entertaining parts of those books are the lore bits and the main cast adventuring into the brutal galaxy of 40k and watching the culture shock unfold.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I tried writing a Yarrick and Ork story for one of BL's submissions a few years ago. I never finished it but the idea that the Orks absolutely love this homicidal octogenarian who wants nothing more than to kill them is hilarious.

I'm imagining a bunch of orks around a fire reminiscing about the various limbs that Yarrick removed from them and laughing

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

It's not enough to even be the premise for a short story but I now want fan art of a bunch of adolescent Orks cosplaying as Yarrick.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
now I'm imagining a "humie day" where the orks dress up like humans like it's hallowe'en, but they make fun of anyone who dresses up as anything but Yarrick.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There is a thing where some young Orks, as a way to rebel, basically become like human military. They do marching drills, maintain high levels of discipline, have a full command/rank hierarchy, plan and execute actual strategy, etc.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

The direction my mind went is, erm, different.

I imagined an ork being throttled by Yarrick, who is yelling in his face about how much he hates him and wants to kill him.

The ork is into it a bit to much and... Explodes.

Yeah, ok, I deserve this upcoming sixer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean Orks reproduce via budding spores so it would be the equivalent of a big green puffball mushroom blowing up.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I tried writing a Yarrick and Ork story for one of BL's submissions a few years ago. I never finished it but the idea that the Orks absolutely love this homicidal octogenarian who wants nothing more than to kill them is hilarious.

I've always had a soft spot for the idea that Yarrick is fueled by the orkish psychic gestalt and that he's become an unstoppable ork-murdering force of nature because the orks want a great unstoppable enemy.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

D-Pad posted:

There is a thing where some young Orks, as a way to rebel, basically become like human military. They do marching drills, maintain high levels of discipline, have a full command/rank hierarchy, plan and execute actual strategy, etc.

This was way way more prevalant in older lore but is still a thing. Stormboyz are what you are thinking of and they are mainly depicted as the crazy missile jetpack guys.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Khizan posted:

I've always had a soft spot for the idea that Yarrick is fueled by the orkish psychic gestalt and that he's become an unstoppable ork-murdering force of nature because the orks want a great unstoppable enemy.

That’s also gotta be why he’s lived so long.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

This was way way more prevalant in older lore but is still a thing. Stormboyz are what you are thinking of and they are mainly depicted as the crazy missile jetpack guys.

Trazyn comments on exactly that in the Infinite and the Divine, he's fascinated by a mob of stormboyz and their makeshift uniforms and tactics.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Telsa Cola posted:

The Blood Axe clan has a reputation for being more regimented/cunning than the rest, with higher numbers of Stormboyz and Kommandos.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kommandos are absolutely my favourite Orks. A hulking green mushroom monster acting sneaky by hiding in a box MGS style and it working due to gestalt psychic latency is a wonderful image. Dey're da sneakiest fings you nevvah saw.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kommandos are absolutely my favourite Orks. A hulking green mushroom monster acting sneaky by hiding in a box MGS style and it working due to gestalt psychic latency is a wonderful image. Dey're da sneakiest fings you nevvah saw.

Alpha Legion: *utilize a myriad of surgery, gene manipulation, mind wipes and mental indoctrination to infiltrate other space marine legions*

Orkz:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I saw a picture of an orc in a Tyranid squad holding a sign saying 'IZ A BUG'.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Orks are cool.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I used to not like orks, when I was a child with a child's mind. But when I became an adult with an Ascended Mind, I recognized the greatness of the orks.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

MariusLecter posted:

Alpha Legion: *utilize a myriad of surgery, gene manipulation, mind wipes and mental indoctrination to infiltrate other space marine legions*

Orkz:

Sorry, this is the superior Ork infiltration method:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Holy crap :blessed:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'd like to think that everything in the 40k universe is the way it is, because orks believe that it should be that way.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

Sorry, this is the superior Ork infiltration method:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just finished Mike Brook's new inquisition short story that came out this week, The Tear of Selevia. It is very good, easily worth the $4. It 100% is setting up a full novel so I guess we are getting an Inquisition book from him soon. Very excited, this guy is already better than most of the BL authors.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished Horus Rising and it was incredibly good. I mean, it's Dan Abnett, I didn't expect anything less. It's really weird to see Horus and his legion, not to mention the other traitor legions, portrayed as good guys. I love how everything is set up and at THIS point I'm very excited to dive into 79 more books in the 30k setting (54 HH and 8 eventual SoT books? And 18 eventual primarch books?). I know the quality is going to be neck-snappingly down and up and down again, but gently caress it, I love my dumb shooty hamfisted politics books.

I'm partially posting this so I can look back on how excited I was after a few more books and laugh about it.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Just finished Horus Rising and it was incredibly good. I mean, it's Dan Abnett, I didn't expect anything less. It's really weird to see Horus and his legion, not to mention the other traitor legions, portrayed as good guys. I love how everything is set up and at THIS point I'm very excited to dive into 79 more books in the 30k setting (54 HH and 8 eventual SoT books? And 18 eventual primarch books?). I know the quality is going to be neck-snappingly down and up and down again, but gently caress it, I love my dumb shooty hamfisted politics books.

I'm partially posting this so I can look back on how excited I was after a few more books and laugh about it.

When I first started reading 40k, I read Eisenhorn then jumped straight to Horus Rising and the HH before circling back around to all the current timeline 40k stuff. I am glad I did because having my first exposure to space marines being the pre-Istvaan marines, then heresy marines, then seeing what they have turned into on both sides in the modern setting was a truly great way to experience that journey and what space marines are all about.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

If anybody decides to read the new “Fury of Magnus” please summarize the interesting parts here, if any.

Riders of the Dead by Abnett was great, thanks for the recommendation

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

HH is weird because at some point the management decided to treat it as a cash cow and quality suffered aside from the top tier of authors, but then a new management came in and things improved a bunch.

Miguel Prado posted:

If anybody decides to read the new “Fury of Magnus” please summarize the interesting parts here, if any.

Riders of the Dead by Abnett was great, thanks for the recommendation

Gonna separate this out to avoid someone accidentally hovering and getting blasted with spoilers.

Magnus is seeking to infilitrate the Palace, he's seeking to reunite with one of his shards.

During this time, it's touched on how while the primarchs that are full daemons by this point (Angron, Mort, Fulgrim) are fully lost to their gods, Magnus still holds himself to be unbound to any Chaos god but still very much more in touch with his nature as a warp entity than his brothers. He saves a building full of people from an orbital strike using his powers which is described as proof of his hypothesis in the story - if his powers were daemonic in nature, he would have been shunted out of the Palace grounds.

He ends up meeting Malcador and a Perpetual in a subterranean area that held estates for each of the Primarchs, and debates with Malcador over the nature of the Primarchs over a game of Regicide with the Perpetual. He grows angry and straight up murks Malcador.

He then travels to the Golden Throne to meet with Big E and Vulkan. He gets trapped between his remaining loyalty to the Imperium and his loyalty to the Thousand Son's needs (not getting turned into Chaos Spawn). During a battle with Vulkan he gives in and becomes a full Daemon Prince and gets summarily expelled from the Palace grounds.

Malcador gets rezzed after the Perpetual gives up her immortality.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

HH is weird because at some point the management decided to treat it as a cash cow and quality suffered aside from the top tier of authors, but then a new management came in and things improved a bunch.

Gonna separate this out to avoid someone accidentally hovering and getting blasted with spoilers.

Magnus is seeking to infilitrate the Palace, he's seeking to reunite with one of his shards.

During this time, it's touched on how while the primarchs that are full daemons by this point (Angron, Mort, Fulgrim) are fully lost to their gods, Magnus still holds himself to be unbound to any Chaos god but still very much more in touch with his nature as a warp entity than his brothers. He saves a building full of people from an orbital strike using his powers which is described as proof of his hypothesis in the story - if his powers were daemonic in nature, he would have been shunted out of the Palace grounds.

He ends up meeting Malcador and a Perpetual in a subterranean area that held estates for each of the Primarchs, and debates with Malcador over the nature of the Primarchs over a game of Regicide with the Perpetual. He grows angry and straight up murks Malcador.

He then travels to the Golden Throne to meet with Big E and Vulkan. He gets trapped between his remaining loyalty to the Imperium and his loyalty to the Thousand Son's needs (not getting turned into Chaos Spawn). During a battle with Vulkan he gives in and becomes a full Daemon Prince and gets summarily expelled from the Palace grounds.

Malcador gets rezzed after the Perpetual gives up her immortality.

Expanding on that a bit:

Big E gives Magnus the choice of full absolution and return to the loyalist fold, basically forgiving him for doing nothing wrong.* He shows him a vision of a future in which Magnus is sitting in the golden throne fulfilling his original purpose. However, he tells Magnus his sons are past saving and his legion has to be killed because they are too far gone to chaos and are going to mutate anyway. Magnus decides he can't do that because they are good boys and decides to kill emps. Vulkan strides out and they get in a big fight, which is when Magnus fully turns and is expelled from the palace.

*For certain values of wrong

It's a good book, much better than Sons of the Selenar. I recommend it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So, does he reunite with his shard?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

quote:

“I will not stand by and let him destroy this world,” said Magnus, lowering his khopesh.

“It is not yours to save,” snapped Russ. “My Legion discovered this world. It is mine to do with as I see fit. Its people had a choice: join us and live, fight us and die. They chose to die.”

“Not everything is so black and white, Russ,” retorted Magnus. “If we destroy everything we encounter, what is the point of this crusade?”

“The point is to win it. Once it is over, we will deal with what is left.”

Magnus shook his head, saying, “What is left will be in ruins.”

Leman Russ lowered the ice-limned blade of his sword, his killing fury stilled for now. “I can live with that,” he said, and without another word, marched from the causeway.

Heard so much about how the World Eaters are brutal and un-subtle but doesn't seem like the Space Wolves ar any better. It seems like Magnus' fall to Chaos will be prompted by a stupid, cruel but "loyal" Primarch.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The Space Wolves back in the days of the Heresy were considered to be pants-shittingly terrifying by everybody else in the Imperium. You'll learn more about that in Prospero Burns, which is the counterpart book to A Thousand Sons.

One of the most telling indicators about how far the Imperium has fallen is that the Space Wolves are considered the heroic good guys in 40k and they have not changed at all. The Imperium's just changed so much that the most terrifying murder marines of 30k look better in comparison.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah there's a reason when the other primarchs are talking about their fellows Russ and Angron get lumped in together. Russ' whole schtick is that the mindless berserker thing is an affectation but that covers up a single minded determination to achieve his father's vision of a loyal Imperium of man free from warp taint (if you allow that whatever mediated psyker powers the space wolves and white scars use is safer than direct contact, otherwise he's just a hypocrite there)

In that sense Russ is really closest to Kurze with limits in the sense he has a more limited ambition. Russ just wants people loyal whole Kurze wants to actually terrify people into not even committing petty theft or swearing.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MrNemo posted:

Yeah there's a reason when the other primarchs are talking about their fellows Russ and Angron get lumped in together. Russ' whole schtick is that the mindless berserker thing is an affectation but that covers up a single minded determination to achieve his father's vision of a loyal Imperium of man free from warp taint (if you allow that whatever mediated psyker powers the space wolves and white scars use is safer than direct contact, otherwise he's just a hypocrite there)

In that sense Russ is really closest to Kurze with limits in the sense he has a more limited ambition. Russ just wants people loyal whole Kurze wants to actually terrify people into not even committing petty theft or swearing.

The mediated pysker power thing just seems to kinda work better than the norm though, which is really loving weird and never gets touched upon more iirc.

Like it gets presented as both more scary than normal psyker poo poo and more stable.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

I mean it makes sense in that having some sort of grounding and support when dealing with the warp would be safer, which the thousand sons already have with their rituals and enumerations. Since the warp works with concepts though maybe tying the warpcraft to elements of reality just makes it less likely to be able to beach a hole in that reality that daemons can pour in from.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

MrNemo posted:

I mean it makes sense in that having some sort of grounding and support when dealing with the warp would be safer, which the thousand sons already have with their rituals and enumerations. Since the warp works with concepts though maybe tying the warpcraft to elements of reality just makes it less likely to be able to beach a hole in that reality that daemons can pour in from.

I mean I guess that makes sense if your conception/idea of all the crazy poo poo you are doing is 100% non-warp related and is a result of the world spirit or whatever but that does lead to very interesting conclusions.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's pretty much the Ork principle, but smaller. Space Wolves believe that they have guardian wolf spirits who mediate with the warp for them. So they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Good news! This is actually dealt with and explored in The Helwinter Gate. Which, by the way, I just finished and I highly recommend it. I read Blood of Asaheim and Stormcaller right before, and while those are good, you can definitely see how much better Wraight has gotten as an author since he wrote those. It was a great finish to the trilogy and really did a deep dive into the Space Wolves and explored them in a way I don't think other authors have done.

The Space Wolves has always maintained that their rune priests are different, that they draw on the world spirit and not the warp. Everybody else thinks they are deluded, or mistaken, or hypocrites. The Helwinter Gate does not answer the question of which one is right, but it does a good job of exploring that question pretty deeply. Ultimately, what it seems to come down to is intent. The warp is emotion made manifest so intent matters. It doesn't really matter if what the Space Wolves believe is true, they believe it is true and that has power.