Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm fine with my relationship with my teacher not advancing beyond her giving me messages so I can go see my sketchy fake gun dealer pal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cleretic posted:

I liked Strange Journey's music, but not in the same way I like most other SMT music. In most other games the music is really interesting and fun to actively listen to, while Strange Journey's is more just very strong tone pieces to act as background music. It's a bit like the difference between 2d Metroid's music and Metroid Prime's music.

To me the strongest and most interesting track was the Law theme. Despite being background music, that track is probably the most compelling way I've seen SMT's Law depicted: undeniably holy, very imposing, and juuuuuust creepy enough for you to realize that doesn't necessarily mean good things.

That theme was such a standout for me when I first played SJ. It's absolutely the best Law Theme.

As for good SJ music? The Chaos Theme really grew on me in SJR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bzwqLrSkvM

It's not the most interesting song to just listen to but it is perfect for setting the tone when you are talking to the Tyrants or Jimenez.

And SJR has the absolute best normal boss theme in SMT history as far as I'm concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Rugr05FMM

It has some incredibly good dungeon music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD5DHtA13mo

They were like oh poo poo, teleporter maze, let's at least give them a really good song to listen to.

Same for the final dungeon - they're gonna be here a while let's give them a great send-off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM0giAZO2Ck

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I've never been a big fan of SJ's music but I'm sure that's at least partially because of the DS' lovely speakers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like Morgana whenever he's not on his Lady Ann bullshit.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or telling me I'm tired and need to go to bed. Shut up, cat!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Commander Keene posted:

Or telling me I'm tired and need to go to bed. Shut up, cat!
A good night of rest is good. The catte's just tryna look out for ya'. :colbert:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Morgana giving Ryuji poo poo all the time is what made me dislike him the most.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

Morgana giving Ryuji poo poo all the time is what made me dislike him the most.

it makes complete sense given their characters but they never come to any kind of accord about it, so you just have these two jerks being catty (:v:) to one another all game

morgana is basically teddie with more ego and less puns, and it's up to you to decide which is worse

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oxxidation posted:

it makes complete sense given their characters but they never come to any kind of accord about it, so you just have these two jerks being catty (:v:) to one another all game

In theory the idea of having party members who give each other poo poo constantly is fun but that whole fight before Okumura establishing that yes, Ryuiji and Morgana outright hate each other just left a real bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing, doubly so that the fight is never brought up after Mona come crawling back.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

She was funny but it was very cake and eat it too that they let you romance her.

how do you eat cake without first having it, this idiom never made any sense anyway

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Seyser Koze posted:

how do you eat cake without first having it, this idiom never made any sense anyway

you can't have eaten it, and then continue to have it in your possession. it's gone, you ate it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, maybe it would have made more sense if they used "keep" instead of "have" or had them in reverse order, but the saying is about greed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

what are you talking about lol

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I always thought it was "You can't eat your cake and have it too." You can't use something up and just have it again. Unless you have the DEMON COMPENDIUM AND BUY IT BACK

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

what are you talking about lol

cake, keep up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my main issue with the morgana/ryuji thing is that the game acts like theyre both at fault or even ryujis slightly more to blame, but it didnt feel that way at all. morgana constantly gives ryuji poo poo and ryuji just kinda takes it, and then the one time ryuji gets one back in on him morgana runs off like hes been attacked. now that could be interesting if it was like, morgana is still coming to terms with the whole having emotions thing, so he can dish it out but not take it, but the game definitely doesn't take that tact. and then its never even resolved. do they even say sorry to each other?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Endorph posted:

my main issue with the morgana/ryuji thing is that the game acts like theyre both at fault or even ryujis slightly more to blame, but it didnt feel that way at all. morgana constantly gives ryuji poo poo and ryuji just kinda takes it, and then the one time ryuji gets one back in on him morgana runs off like hes been attacked. now that could be interesting if it was like, morgana is still coming to terms with the whole having emotions thing, so he can dish it out but not take it, but the game definitely doesn't take that tact. and then its never even resolved. do they even say sorry to each other?

Honestly, P5 kinda just... doesn't have a great understanding of how to properly handle their characters being assholes to each other.

Futaba was actually the one that stood out to me the most, because her perspective on it is almost realistic, but in a way that the game never acknowledges. She is just straight-up mean to Yusuke, constantly telling him to shut up, for very little inciting reason and to no actual repercussions. Futaba reads as some level of high-functioning autistic, which would sort of explain it (it's clearly something that she thinks is funny and that she's never been able to look outside herself to enough of a degree to see that it's not), but... c'mon, won't someone deal with this situation instead of just letting her keep doing this?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

it is funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean that's consistent across the series. P3 handles it the best because the characters don't actually like each other that much, they're never really presented as the best friend pal squad, they just learn to get over the issues with each other and form a bond of trust. so them addressing their issues with each other is actually a plotpoint.

p4 and p5 has characters have conflicts, because thats good banter theoretically, but then it just... never goes anywhere. like ryuji and makoto have a whole running thing in makoto's intro dungeon and then they don't say two words to each other after. ryuji and yosuke just kinda ends, there's the scene where ryuji calls him out but then its never addressed again, not even a quick 'yo, sorry' from yosuke later. chie genuinely seems to hate yosuke and that's definitely never addressed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Still cute fanart, though. :blush:

x

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chie doesn't hate Yosuke, what? She's just less tolerant of his poo poo.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everyone getting extremely confused about friends who tease or are mean to each other, or teens getting into fights with their friends and then completely forgetting about it and moving on

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Nah she comes across as actively shittng on him even whens he's trying or generally not really doing anything. Half their dialogue early on is just her treating him like poo poo for not living up to promises he never even made. "Ugh I thought you were gonna treat us to fancy steak!" when they invite themselves over as a group etc. She suffers from the same "Believably teenage level of rear end in a top hat" that most of the cast passes back and forth. In that it makes her kind of unlikable in spots. Like it's how some people can be friends but even in context it seems barely constrained hatred of one another. And since it never really gets addresses, much like Yosuke's poo poo towards Kanji, it just comes across as the writers doing it for a joke and not realizing how it reads in the character writing at large. Especially when it's the only real interactions that part of the cast has with one another.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u people are aliens lol

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Stux posted:

u people are aliens lol

Some friendly ribbing between close buddies is one thing, having it be the entirety of what's written between two characters is what makes it turn into just feeling like these people hate each other. It works in P3 where most of the cast are just roommates to one another and not really friends but P4 is trying desperately to write its cast as close knit friends and just flailing for most of its scenes since it still has to focus all character development through the lens of S Links with the protag instead of regulating them to their own separate stories like the P3 cast gets.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

yusuke is a huge weirdo too and seems completely unfazed by it, its way different than the genuinely mean morgana/ryuji stuff

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they def do not hate each other and there is no indication of that

the morgana comments are def actually snippy. the yusuke stuff is just normal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

P4 is trying desperately to write its cast as close knit friends and just flailing for most of its scenes

theyre def written as close knit friends, you do not make comments like that to non-close friends

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Arist posted:

Chie doesn't hate Yosuke, what? She's just less tolerant of his poo poo.

Tolerant of his poo poo here meaning stealing his money and kicking him in the testicles for breaking a DVD.

But who cares, it's anime hijinks and gags. And I'm serious about that. Some people get really riled up and offended because of these gags and I just don't get it.

But it's not at all comparable to P3 or P5 where the animosity is very much played straight.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 24, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Next Persona should be about the Beatles' adventures as Persona users in their youth.

Main character is of course Ringo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Honestly the only dynamic of all of these that rubbed me the wrong way was Morgana and Ryuji, and then only because it didn't really get resolved. Even just like a "we're cool now" wordless look at each other would've done it. Not a huge deal, just felt like a slight fumble.

Honestly I enjoyed Futaba and Yusuke's dynamic but that's probably down to Yusuke being a weird art dork and messing with Futaba's Featherman figures.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the p5 cast doesnt hate each other. morgana has some stuff with ryuji and he does get genuinely rude, otherwise theres nothing, theyre all friends. even the morgana/ryuji stuff is extremely like, normal. did u never have a friend group where there were the two ppl that were friends with everyone else but just always didnt get along w each other fully and that was just how it was??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never understood the critique that the P5 cast don't seem like friends. That's just never how I saw it. They seem like a group of people who come to like hanging out together and care about each other a lot and I'm not really sure what I'm not seeing there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Varinn posted:

yusuke is a huge weirdo too and seems completely unfazed by it, its way different than the genuinely mean morgana/ryuji stuff

Yeah, thinking about it, Yusuke probably also doesn't understand that Futaba's ribbing is in poor taste. So it works out in a weird way. I guess it's just part of Futaba that stands out to me as 'oh god this hits too close to home, somebody please help her'. Which is... a lot of Futaba, actually, she's so well-written it hurts.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Next Persona should be about the Beatles' adventures as Persona users in their youth.

Main character is of course Ringo.

Actually, gently caress yeah, a period-piece Persona sounds loving amazing. The Persona games are already remarkably good at capturing the smaller and more lived-in details of a time and place (it was probably the best part of P4, the fact that it nailed the vibe of living in Podunk Nowheresville at specifically that time), why not make that a full focus and just make the Yakuza 0 of Personas?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Put in in the 1980's and give it the aesthetic sensibility of all the really apeshit OVAs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Instead of the Beatles, use a fun band: Moody Blues, Blue Cheer or Black Sabbath.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Set it in the mid-80s and have a teenage Kazuma Kiryu make a cameo since Atlus is also owned by Sega now

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I hope Atlus USA's localization team takes some lessons from the team that localized Yakuza 7 because they appear to have done a great job and put a ton of care into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yusuke is probably just very happy his extremely anxious friend who was nearly non-verbal in person at one point is so comfortable around him, her good friend, that she will say all these dumb rude jokes to his face