Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

I'm currently at a large tech company (FAANG+) with a great manager and career trajectory, but the work and slowness of the company drives me bonkers. Should I suck it up, or is it worth taking a pay cut and jumping to a startup or elsewhere? I feel like I almost have it too good here and should just suck it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Money is everything

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

rt4 posted:

Money is everything
:

I disagree here. I used to work in high frequency trading where pay was 7 figures or approaching it and I would never go back 😞. Happiness and work life balance are super important.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

sailormoon posted:

I'm currently at a large tech company (FAANG+) with a great manager and career trajectory, but the work and slowness of the company drives me bonkers. Should I suck it up, or is it worth taking a pay cut and jumping to a startup or elsewhere? I feel like I almost have it too good here and should just suck it up.

Internal transfer an option?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You aren't going to get work life balance in a startup. Startup is also going to be much closer to the finance job without the pay.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I’m here making 40k a year doing freelance stuff and happy, I couldn’t imagine making 6 piggies wow

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I'm looking for my next programming job. I want to work writing javascript. Ideally working with react. I want to work from home or in the Seattle area.

My current position is a contract position and has me using some esoteric tools that won't really be widely transferrable. Also the work does not involve as much actual programming as I was led to believe. So I feel like at work at least my skillset is stagnating.

Besides just finding everything that is labeled Javascript and WFH and firing a resume at it, what approach should I take?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Sous Videodrome posted:

I'm looking for my next programming job. I want to work writing javascript. Ideally working with react. I want to work from home or in the Seattle area.

My current position is a contract position and has me using some esoteric tools that won't really be widely transferrable. Also the work does not involve as much actual programming as I was led to believe. So I feel like at work at least my skillset is stagnating.

Besides just finding everything that is labeled Javascript and WFH and firing a resume at it, what approach should I take?

Do you have some good JS projects you can share on github or on a webpage? If you want to work with React I'd probably like to see some good live examples with some UI pop.

How much experience do you have in general? If it's less than maybe 2 years you should still look but the market is still pretty bad right now. If you are a little more experienced its a lot better.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

sailormoon posted:

:

I disagree here. I used to work in high frequency trading where pay was 7 figures or approaching it and I would never go back 😞. Happiness and work life balance are super important.

this conflicts with your first statement then. Take your FAANG money and enjoy home life with the extra time from the slowness. Maybe pick up a new hobby.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Well good news, she opened with a number, said everyone in the training thing starts at the same and while she doesn't have the number yet its between 60-70, which is perfectly acceptable especially with the benefits. Charmed the recruiter, now to cram for the technical interview. I think that since they're essentially putting me into an 8 week bootcamp I don't have to have every answer perfect, but I'd like to not come across as a complete idiot. They're putting together a list of 40 people to interview and then narrowing it down to about 20, so I like my odds.

So I got the study guide for the assessment, and its JS, which I don't know but its just the core stuff, no react etc, so it'll be fine. Probably. Should I mention at some point that I had no JS background after I've crushed the assessment? Or just keep my mouth shut?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
JS has more footguns than most languages, so do a bit of reading before diving in

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

JS has more footguns than most languages, so do a bit of reading before diving in

Douglas Crockford has some good books and videos on JavaScript you can check out to get a general overview.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

rt4 posted:

JS has more footguns than most languages,

Not to be snarky, but this would imply there are worse, and now I'm honestly curious is there's something worse

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd be scared to write a web app in C but I'm not sure if it's worse than plain JS

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

So I got the study guide for the assessment, and its JS, which I don't know but its just the core stuff, no react etc, so it'll be fine. Probably. Should I mention at some point that I had no JS background after I've crushed the assessment? Or just keep my mouth shut?

https://eloquentjavascript.net/

Good luck.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

asur posted:

Unless you have a personal connection in the company then the best you can do is try your best and hope that good performance in the other interviews will be enough to put you over the finish line. If you interview with the hiring manager you can try to spin the conversation around what you've done, but I probably wouldn't directly say that you don't have experience with algorithms.

It's probably not helpful in this specific case, but if you want a high paying SWE position I would highly recommend learning the standard algorithm basics and grinding questions on your algorithm website of choice along with whatever is typical for frontend interviews.
It's unfortunate as it's probably not very relevant to the day to day work and it's not required for all jobs, but it is a bar you have to get over for the vast majority of high paying jobs and is going to randomly popup in any interview process.

Thanks man. They actually called me up the next day and offered me the job. :shrug:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Hadlock posted:

Not to be snarky, but this would imply there are worse, and now I'm honestly curious is there's something worse

Perl6 :v:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

I'm also a fan of this community project: https://javascript.info/

Good luck with the assessment.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks! I'd been doing w3schools and codeacademy stuff, I'll check the rest of these out tonight

edit: what is a footgun?

Guildenstern Mother fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 17, 2021

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Thanks! I'd been doing w3schools and codeacademy stuff, I'll check the rest of these out tonight

Something with which one will inevitably shoot themselves in the foot.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

A gun that shoots you in the foot.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ah, I can see why that would be a standard coding term.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm debating whether jumping into a bootcamp would be worth it for my situation. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I've spend the last 9ish years working in the aerospace world. During that time I've done quite a bit of Matlab/Python programming (developed apps that either run analyses or automate the execution/deployment of large analyses run via commercial software on compute clusters). I started out as a Matlab junkie but over the last 5 years Python has become my weapon of choice. I've also done a fair bit of work with C, C++ and Fortran codes (but never from scratch). My work has also been exclusively in a linux environment so I'm very familiar with command line/scripting/version control etc. As much as I enjoy the programming aspects of my job I'm completely fatigued with the mechanical engineering aspects and dealing with physical hardware/manufacturing/aerospace red tape etc.

I'd like to leverage my Python and Linux experience into a new software focused position. I'm pretty much open to anything but frontend (I've never really enjoyed working with html/css) and I'm ok with taking a pay/seniority cut to make this happen. When I look at job postings I feel like my biggest disadvantage (besides being a mechanical engineer) is alot of postings expect knowledge of web/networking/cloud related technologies, which frankly I have limited exposure to. Would a Python bootcamp push me over this hurdle? Any recommendations on a specific camp or resource/strategy to fill in these gaps?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Nohearum posted:

I'm debating whether jumping into a bootcamp would be worth it for my situation. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I've spend the last 9ish years working in the aerospace world. During that time I've done quite a bit of Matlab/Python programming (developed apps that either run analyses or automate the execution/deployment of large analyses run via commercial software on compute clusters). I started out as a Matlab junkie but over the last 5 years Python has become my weapon of choice. I've also done a fair bit of work with C, C++ and Fortran codes (but never from scratch). My work has also been exclusively in a linux environment so I'm very familiar with command line/scripting/version control etc. As much as I enjoy the programming aspects of my job I'm completely fatigued with the mechanical engineering aspects and dealing with physical hardware/manufacturing/aerospace red tape etc.

I'd like to leverage my Python and Linux experience into a new software focused position. I'm pretty much open to anything but frontend (I've never really enjoyed working with html/css) and I'm ok with taking a pay/seniority cut to make this happen. When I look at job postings I feel like my biggest disadvantage (besides being a mechanical engineer) is alot of postings expect knowledge of web/networking/cloud related technologies, which frankly I have limited exposure to. Would a Python bootcamp push me over this hurdle? Any recommendations on a specific camp or resource/strategy to fill in these gaps?

It would, but it also sounds like you've got a lot of skills you don't need to pay someone to teach you, unless you thrive on structured learning environments. And as far as credentials go, an engineering degree and experience doing real-world Python development will probably put your resume ahead of most bootcamp grads. You'll still need to overcome some hurdles and send out a lot of resumes, but you're starting from a good position.

I'd start out running through either the Flask tutorial or Django tutorial - they're both popular, well-documented, and reasonably beginner-friendly Python web frameworks. Play around with what comes out of the tutorials and implement some simple extensions to them. Then, sign up for AWS; you get twelve months of free services that are pretty generous at the hobbyist level, and as long as you remember to shut things down once you're done with them, you can play with all kinds of high-end toys for reasonable per-hour money*. Run through the AWS tutorials and learn to deploy what you built into ~the cloud~. Then, script the whole process up using Python and boto3 (the Python SDK that Amazon uses to build all their AWS CLI tooling) to have one command go from source from git and a set of AWS credentials to a deployed application your non-technical friends can pull up on their phone or laptop. If you can do that, you're more than qualified for all kinds of backend and devops jobs.

*an example: Jeff Bezos will rent you a server with 48 cores, half a terabyte of RAM, and a 20 Gbps network interface for about five bucks an hour. It'll cost more once you factor in infrastructure, bandwidth, and storage for anything interesting that you're doing with it, but it's still something you can experiment with for beer money. Of course, if you don't turn it off, that reasonable hourly rate adds up and comes to $3300/month. When you're just learning how to do things in AWS and still eligible for the time-limited free tier services on modest instances, your costs will probably be in the single digit dollars per month if they break out of the free tier at all.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
^^This is great advice and would be a good first step even if you decide you want to do a bootcamp later anyway. Also check your job postings by you. You may find Python isn't the best language to land an entry level job and the right path might be following the above advice then branching into something else.

Also, this is a quibble, but frontend is not just lining up HTML or CSS. That's more UI/UX stuff. There's lots of frontend jobs where you don't need to worry about making things pretty. Don't get scared off by jobs listing as front-end.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hadlock posted:

PHP, C

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Ooof. Did the take home assessment and couldn't get one part working because JS syntax is shaitan and it was a thing not mentioned on the study guide. I left what I had with a comment that I was getting a syntax error I couldn't place and did the rest writing functions based on the non working part that I couldn't test because the thing wasn't working. Hopefully that's enough. There's an optional one hour assessment that I think I might try and do after a break. Or should I not? Optional seems like it means trickier and I don't want to fall on my face again.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Not getting your program to run then skipping the optional sounds like basically giving up. I'd definitely do the optional assessment if you still want a fighting chance.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I bet doing the "optional" assessment correlates very strongly with being hired.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I hope you did the optional thing and at least got more experience with thoese types of assessments. Sadly, optional things suck and are more like hard requirements.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I did do the optional thing, and did better on it. Not fabulous but better. Had a friend go over both of them with me the next day, not solving anything for me but helpful things like "ok for no reason you need a comma here" etc. And I flew through them in no time once the time pressure was off. So if they do call me for an interview at least I'm ready to pull up my new code and say "here's what I should have done"

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
Should I (a fresh boot camp grad) do a job interview (working for my State) that is asking for 8 years of experience? I applied just because the boot camp employment assistant folks kept hammering home to ignore job requirements and apply for everything. Well, now the chickens have come home to roost and I think I'm in for an embarrassing video chat. Do it anyway just for practice?

Fender fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 22, 2021

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
the answer is always yes. interview practice is never bad

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

if 8 years were actually a requirement you would not have been called in for an interview. do it

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It's always important to think of job requirements as more of a wish list than actual requirements. Getting a callback when they wanted 8 years is kind of wild but hey, they did call.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

The HR people that write the job descriptions sometimes are not even talking to the engineering managers who are trying to fill out their team. Go wild applying and interviewing - the worst possible outcome is you bomb but get some insight into a problem or area you can learn more about for the next time.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

dantheman650 posted:

The HR people that write the job descriptions sometimes are not even talking to the engineering managers who are trying to fill out their team. Go wild applying and interviewing - the worst possible outcome is you bomb but get some insight into a problem or area you can learn more about for the next time.

If you're going wild to apply, definitely do not waste time on cover letters.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

huhu posted:

If you're going wild to apply, definitely do not waste time on cover letters.

Do cover letters for the handful of jobs a week that look especially gettable/ideal/whatever. For those 4-6 jobs you find every week that look special, take extra time to tailor your resume, write a custom cover letter specific to that job, and make sure you take every edge. I know its not realistic to do that for every application, but its worth the time for those that stick out.

Fender posted:

Should I (a fresh boot camp grad) do a job interview (working for my State) that is asking for 8 years of experience? I applied just because the boot camp employment assistant folks kept hammering home to ignore job requirements and apply for everything. Well, now the chickens have come home to roost and I think I'm in for an embarrassing video chat. Do it anyway just for practice?

Should you play a game if you're given house money to play it with? Yes. Yes you should. Congrats on the interview and at absolute worst it's good practice, at best you just found a potentially great job.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
What's the general consensus of bootcamps and job placement? Was thinking of signing up for Hack Reactor. Already have a technical background with 4-5 years of IT engineering experience.

Admissable 4 year university classes aren't available to me until this time next year due to missed deadlines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

False Toaster posted:

What's the general consensus of bootcamps and job placement? Was thinking of signing up for Hack Reactor. Already have a technical background with 4-5 years of IT engineering experience.

Admissable 4 year university classes aren't available to me until this time next year due to missed deadlines.

Hack Reactor essentially filters for people who already have the necessary skills/background to get a mid-level dev job and should probably just apply already. It's not surprising Hack Reactor graduates generally get jobs - it's debatable whether they needed the program to do so.