Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Red posted:

Really!

Without watching it, I think I can safely assume the match blew.

They had matches for like, 3 or 4 consecutive PPVs that year and they all sucked poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I believe that match was the culmination of Kane's 20 year plan to put Undertaker into a vegetative state

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kane vs Undertaker in 2010 was a terrible yet good feud.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Who was the first "I'm just happy to be here" wrestler in the WWE (in 205 Live?)? Did someone really go ahead and outright say it? Or was it just a general vibe?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lily Catts posted:

Who was the first "I'm just happy to be here" wrestler in the WWE (in 205 Live?)? Did someone really go ahead and outright say it? Or was it just a general vibe?

Do you mean as a character trait or an actual human trait?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It probably goes back to the 80s (if not earlier) with all those territory stars taking big paychecks to coast at the end of their careers

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Lily Catts posted:

Not a real answer but you know who was really just happy to be there? Gangrel. Gangrel always just looked thrilled to be out there.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ganso Bomb posted:

Do you mean as a character trait or an actual human trait?

Character trait. I don't watch it but people seem to joke about wrestlers in 205 Live who have no character other than they're just totally happy to be in WWE

TheKingslayer posted:

Not a real answer but you know who was really just happy to be there? Gangrel. Gangrel always just looked thrilled to be out there.

Yup! It seemed that way.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The 'happy to be here' meme began with this tweet, IIRC:

https://twitter.com/KingRicochet/status/1237885877923098631?s=20

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lily Catts posted:

Character trait. I don't watch it but people seem to joke about wrestlers in 205 Live who have no character other than they're just totally happy to be in WWE

1-2-3 Kid might be the prototype for this.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ganso Bomb posted:

1-2-3 Kid might be the prototype for this.

Eh, Waltman was one of Vince's classic 'only funny to him because of his warped mindset' gimmicks. Basically it was "he smol, he look like child, isn't it funny to imagine he could win a match against a Big Man", made more explicit when they turned him heel and literally did poo poo like have babyfaces put him in diapers.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, Waltman was one of Vince's classic 'only funny to him because of his warped mindset' gimmicks. Basically it was "he smol, he look like child, isn't it funny to imagine he could win a match against a Big Man", made more explicit when they turned him heel and literally did poo poo like have babyfaces put him in diapers.

When he first started his build as a babyface, though, he was very much "Aw, shucks I'm gonna try my best!" which feels parallel to "happy to be here". It's not spot on but it's maybe the earliest person I can remember who was so meek and just trying their hardest.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I only knew him during his X-Pac days (which I loved), but... wow.

(yes I am aware it wasn't good a run as my kid self thought, but as a cheeky brat I thought the Bronco Buster was the coolest thing in the world)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

X-Pac really is a guy that wasn't fully appreciated in his own time, I guess. It didn't help that there really wasn't any significant change in his character until he turned full-blown heel and he just never really recovered from that.

Going back and revisiting his work does show just how good he really was though. Wasn't he also basically the yardstick guy, like "if you can't have a good match with Waltman, you probably kind of suck."

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
His heel work as The Lightning Kid in the GWF was a lot like the way he was as Syxx/X-Pac

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 25, 2021

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
X-Pac was really over in early 99 and when he was teaming with Kane. What happened to tank his popularity so much? I know he was stale but to go from that popular to getting literal zero reaction from the crowd in six months is unreal.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
X-Pac and Kane (one of the finest love stories told in the Attitude Era) ended quickly after they finally got on the same page in a storyline where X-Pac dumped Kane to rejoin the newly formed heel DX. Kane and X-Pac wrestled each other across six consecutive pay-per-views if you include the Royal Rumble, where Kane and X-Pac were part of the Final Four. The streak only ended in April 2000 because Kane went off the road for a month or so after Wrestlemania.

All other issues surrounding X-Pac and booking in early 2000s wrestling aside, turns out if you take a plucky underdog babyface and make him a chickenshit heel who constantly wins through interference and suggesting he burned his ex-partner's dick off and wants to rape his ex-partner's girlfriend, crowds will sour on the character.

Thankfully Sami Zayn has made no overtures towards Kevin Owen's spouse or penis to my knowledge, so history has not fully repeated itself.

Yet.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

for what it's worth, 1-2-3 kid in his early babyface years was an awful promo, for my money

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Vagabundo posted:

X-Pac really is a guy that wasn't fully appreciated in his own time, I guess. It didn't help that there really wasn't any significant change in his character until he turned full-blown heel and he just never really recovered from that.

Going back and revisiting his work does show just how good he really was though. Wasn't he also basically the yardstick guy, like "if you can't have a good match with Waltman, you probably kind of suck."

It was really nice when he came back to WWF after Eric Bischoff used him as a bargaining chip. For one night, he was a giant loving deal and bigger than anyone would have ever thought, and he managed to maintain at a higher level for a pretty long time through various iterations of DX.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

X-pac was a huge deal as a part of DX which was just as important a factor, if not more important, as Steve Austin in finally beating WCW in the Monday night wars

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

X-Pac got extremely, extremely stale. And in 2000-2001 you had guys like RVD, Jeff Hardy, Tajiri and even Billy Kidman coming in who were hotter. And for some reason X-Pac never seemed to job to any of them even though it was the right time for him to do just that. X-Pac winning feuds he shouldn't was a running theme; first with Kane, then later with the Dudley Boyz (I think).

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's been a long time since I've seen any Attitude Era stuff, but wasn't part of X-Pac's problem that he was still coming out in the green-and-black DX stuff long after DX had gone their separate ways? Kind of like they were trying to say 'Hey you all loved DX! You should still love this guy too!'

Almost reminds me of a certain Samoan... :thunk:

oldpainless posted:

X-pac was a huge deal as a part of DX which was just as important a factor, if not more important, as Steve Austin in finally beating WCW in the Monday night wars

DX was no NWO, no matter how hard Vince and HHH's revisionist history tries to make it seem so. :colbert:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

X-Pac was really over in early 99 and when he was teaming with Kane. What happened to tank his popularity so much? I know he was stale but to go from that popular to getting literal zero reaction from the crowd in six months is unreal.

X-Pac was a DX hanger-on who primarily did 3 things in the ring:

- Crotch chop
- Bronco buster
- Tongue wagging

He had an annoying theme song (either while in DX or in his stable), was terrible at promos, won all the loving time (even over Kane), and because he was DX, was present at every loving show.

X-Pac was the loving worst.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

x-pac ruled, he did cool kicks and moves

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

X-Pac was a DX hanger-on who primarily did 3 things in the ring:

- Crotch chop
- Bronco buster
- Tongue wagging

He had an annoying theme song (either while in DX or in his stable), was terrible at promos, won all the loving time (even over Kane), and because he was DX, was present at every loving show.

X-Pac was the loving worst.

He should have won over Kane, Kane sucks.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I loved X-Pac and X-Factor :smith:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alaois posted:

x-pac ruled, he did cool kicks and moves
:hai:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
listen to this garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V35BC3XYFMQ

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Imagine how cool wrestling would be if X-Pac and Kane switched pushes in 1999. X-Pac becomes Undertaker's brother and everything.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I vaguely remember X-Pac and Kane together and thought it was real cool. And it breaks my heart to learn it fell apart in the worst way (I kind of stopped watching WWF/E and the next time I picked it up, Brock Lesnar just turned on Kurt Angle or something)

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Not getting Kane in green and black DX gear is as great an affront as Cena not wearing the shirt.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
How good of a wrestler was Piper, technically speaking? And what would be some of his best work?

bartok
May 10, 2006

FakePoet posted:

How good of a wrestler was Piper, technically speaking? And what would be some of his best work?

His match with Bret Hart at WM8 and the dog collar match against Greg Valentine at the first Starcade are considered his best.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The heel DX from late 1999 to mid 2000 was pretty bad in general I think. It was obviously just a vehicle for Triple H and it did nothing for the other guys except overexpose them. Also, their antics amounted to, what, helping Triple H rape Stephanie and inviting a bunch of homeless people in for Thanksgiving dinner only to then kick them out? Not many people would survive that, not least X-Pac.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn pretty much tanked after that heel run as well. It just doesn't get mentioned as much.

The heel DX reunion was just wretched overall.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Imagine how cool wrestling would be if X-Pac and Kane switched pushes in 1999. X-Pac becomes Undertaker's brother and everything.

Team Suck No

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

anakha posted:

Yeah, Road Dogg and Billy Gunn pretty much tanked after that heel run as well. It just doesn't get mentioned as much.

The heel DX reunion was just wretched overall.

I got more out of it than X Factor, though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

collocation posted:

Road Dogg & K-Kwik, Billy & Chuck and X-Factor were all equally poo poo IMO.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

collocation posted:

I got everything I ever wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

FakePoet posted:

MUCH better in the ring than he gets credit for. Best place to start is probably his Portland work that's on YouTube (lots of long 2/3 fall main events) and the stuff from the 1983 Greg Valentine feud that's on WWE Network (Hidden Gems house show match, Starrcade '83 dog collar match, and whatever matches/angles are on the weekly Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling shows).