Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just wrapped up a playtest of John Company, and while I found it lacking in the elves and lasers department, it was way, way more fun than I was expecting. Very excited to back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bruceski posted:

Oof, I played Carcassonne once with a guy who had all the tiles memorized and was vocally strategizing with stuff like "there's only one tile that can fit in that spot and it's been placed so you just wasted that man" and I consider it one of the better marks of my character that I made it through the evening without strangling him.

The only way to be good at Carcassonne is to memorise all the tiles, though. It's why I'd rather play nothing than play Carcassonne.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jedit posted:

The only way to be good at Carcassonne is to memorise all the tiles, though. It's why I'd rather play nothing than play Carcassonne.

It's also why Terraforming Mars is trash.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

But like why would you want to get good at Carcassone? It's just a chill little area control game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Infinitum posted:

But like why would you want to get good at Carcassone? It's just a chill little area control game.

Exactly!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
RE: Suchy

I absolutely adore Last Will and The Prodigals Club. The theme and gameplay is spot on for me. Lots of humor as well.

I bought Pulsar because I collect space themed games but I've only played it once. I liked the mechanics a lot, but it's a bit dry.

Underwater cities I skipped because the plastic domes look so janky and the rules didn't do it for me. Played once with friends and it was enjoyable, but not enough to rush out and buy my own copy.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Carcassonne is a push-your-luck game where you hope to god that the one tile you need to complete your megacastle shows up on your turn

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Carcassonne is a push-your-luck game where you hope to god that the one tile you need to complete your megacastle shows up on your turn

Speaking of mega castles, is anyone backing the jumbo colossal castles of MKL KS? I love that game but bruh...

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

I'm looking to get a scenario/ story type game that I can learn with my partner and hopefully play with a few more friends once we're out of lockdown! I'd like something on a tactical/ skirmish scale with miniatures that are interesting to paint. Not Gloomhaven, as one of my friends already has that. At the moment I'm looking at either Conan or Mice and Mystics, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

War of the Ring?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Oof, I played Carcassonne once with a guy who had all the tiles memorized and was vocally strategizing with stuff like "there's only one tile that can fit in that spot and it's been placed so you just wasted that man" and I consider it one of the better marks of my character that I made it through the evening without strangling him.

You’re stronger than me. That guy would’ve been making GBS threads tiles the next day.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

sportsgenius86 posted:

You’re stronger than me. That guy would’ve been making GBS threads tiles the next day.

Yes but you see, your enjoyment is suboptimal.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Infinitum posted:

War of the Ring?

This won't scale well after the pandemic. The 4-player variant seems dumb

I'm a fan of Conan. It's a fun, dumb, dudes-on-a-map skirmish game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Slimy Hog posted:

This won't scale well after the pandemic. The 4-player variant seems dumb

I'm a fan of Conan. It's a fun, dumb, dudes-on-a-map skirmish game.

2v2 wotr is hilariously fun.

But, yeah, kinda dumb.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

spiderbot posted:

I'm looking to get a scenario/ story type game that I can learn with my partner and hopefully play with a few more friends once we're out of lockdown! I'd like something on a tactical/ skirmish scale with miniatures that are interesting to paint. Not Gloomhaven, as one of my friends already has that. At the moment I'm looking at either Conan or Mice and Mystics, is there anything else I should be looking at?

Mice and Mystics will absolutely not work for you, just don't.

Comedy option: Magic Maze. I call it "tactical" :v: .

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is why you play the app which shows what's left of the tiles. Problem solved.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That tile guy is badass

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I've been liquidating a bunch of my collection recently and oh wow what a great feeling. How often do you all go through your endless mounds of board games and decide it's time to get rid of games?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Jcam posted:

I've been liquidating a bunch of my collection recently and oh wow what a great feeling. How often do you all go through your endless mounds of board games and decide it's time to get rid of games?

Every time I move? :) Since I don't move that often, it's always when I run out of space. That's the thing, the LA con has a huge virtual auction/sale three times a year and I can get good prices. Unfortunately of course there's been no cons, so I have to move more games than I'd have to normally. Hopefully there'll be enough people vaccinated for the May con, otherwise I'll be waiting til September.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

silvergoose posted:

2v2 wotr is hilariously fun.

But, yeah, kinda dumb.

I haven't tried it, but 1v1 requires such a long-game approach, with an overall interconnected strategy, that it seems 2v2 could be a lot less satisfying/more frustrating. You would really have to align with your partner, and maybe even go off for secret discussions half the time as you plan what you're doing.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Aramoro posted:

It's also why Terraforming Mars is trash.

poo poo, I love Terraforming Mars. What am I missing?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Aggro posted:

memorising all the cards in the game gives you a big advantage.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Aramoro posted:

memorising all the cards in the game gives you a big advantage.

In what way? There are definitely games where this is true (Twilight Struggle) but I've never observed this effect with TM.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

:psyduck: Memorizing cards in TfM has almost no advantage because you cant even see half the cards that are drawn in a round, and the deck is so diluted that you cant really gamble on anything except what youve directly seen. I honestly consider the inability to count cards one of its drawbacks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im also the guy who counts cards in Dominion though so Im probably an outlier here lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Aggro posted:

Taste.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mayveena posted:

Hopefully there'll be enough people vaccinated for the May con, otherwise I'll be waiting til September.

September is probably optimistic.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Aggro posted:

friend, let me advise you to stop digging.

This thread has an irrational hate for terraforming mars.

If you enjoy it, enjoy it and don't let anyone tell you different.

I enjoy it too, and I think I've picked it in each of SA's board game drafts. at least one, definitely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's not irrational when many people have written many words describing what's wrong with the game. This thread isn't even an outlier, it's pretty widely criticized despite its popularity. There are plenty of people here that think its a fine game, so portraying "this thread" as a singular entity makes it seem more insular than it is. I've always said it's fine to like bad games and it's important to be able to critique the things you like as much as the things you dislike.

Bottom Liner posted:

TfM would be a much better game if it focused solely on the board and leaned a lot more into that than it does toward the card play. There’s a reason most games end with players having huge tableaus of cards overrunning the table but the finished map basically looks the same every time.

Played optimally sure, the game is faster and players don’t make a huge tableau, but then it’s extremely at odds with what players want to do which in the end makes it a bland and forgettable engine builder.

to quote one of my many posts on it

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 23, 2021

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

September is probably optimistic.

Depends on how the general public vaccination rolls out. I think there will be at least a limited con in September.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 23, 2021

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's really telling that Terraforming Mars: Ares Expedition AKA TfM: The Card Game is Race for the Galaxy but worse. It's a game with only slightly more depth and player interaction than Wingspan. But it's so much longer than Wingspan with vastly more card text, rules, and upkeep phases. Also, I think Wingspan is pretter.

If you want a fast, light, yet highly interactive worker placement engine builder, look to Little Towns.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/241266/little-town

If you want a fast Sci Fi engine builder, get Race for the Galaxy with one of the expansions that can work on it's own (The Gathering Storm, Alien Artifacts, Xeno Invasion).

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 23, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Control Volume posted:

:psyduck: Memorizing cards in TfM has almost no advantage because you cant even see half the cards that are drawn in a round, and the deck is so diluted that you cant really gamble on anything except what youve directly seen. I honestly consider the inability to count cards one of its drawbacks.

Knowing the cards is a great advantage because knowing what's possible is what let's you make good choices when drafting. You're right it becomes less of the a thing when you add the expansions and the deck is like 300 cards. But that's the other side of the TfM garbage coin, nothing matters and planning is pointless. But base game it's genuinely useful if for some reason you want to be good at the game.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Aggro posted:

I believe that the main criticism is that (with correct decisions) just playing the actions on the board while everyone else is playing the cards wins you the game every time. It accelerates the teraforming to where the cards become irrelevant.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Countblanc posted:

That tile guy is badass

My wife and I played enough carc (hundreds of games) it could have been me.

Though, I'd at least tell a person before they placed it that there's nothing left that'll fit there.

3p+ it's a game of shared incentives. "We both own this town now, lets complete it together and make everyone else lag in points!"

2p it's just zero sum brutally hopping on each others cities, or preventing their completion if you can. A cathedral towards the end of a game is basically a tactical nuke.

We used to play on tiny cafe tables, and use the shape as the outer edges of where you can play. Which meant we'd stretch someone else's city just off the board so it couldn't be closed.

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1319674715502465025

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Carc is great. We wore out our original set because we kept it in a draw bag and did the same with taking it places.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Carc is great. We wore out our original set because we kept it in a draw bag and did the same with taking it places.

A single sleeve of oreos box fits the base game and the first two expansions worth of tiles perfectly :cool:
Then a baggy for the meeples, and just use a notepad and pencil for the score. My carc was always in my bag walking around Taipei for years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have our current set in the Air Land & Sea box and it fits perfect. That game is in my travel game box in top loader chunky sleeves which are great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ravendas posted:

My wife and I played enough carc (hundreds of games) it could have been me.

yeah i feel like it's easy to assume people like that spent time painstakingly memorizing tiles or cards in examples like this, but a lot of the time it's just stuff you learn from playing a game you like a lot and playing attention, or noticing that there's less of X and then checking later to see if you were right.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Countblanc posted:

yeah i feel like it's easy to assume people like that spent time painstakingly memorizing tiles or cards in examples like this, but a lot of the time it's just stuff you learn from playing a game you like a lot and playing attention, or noticing that there's less of X and then checking later to see if you were right.

I'm the type of person that doesn't see knowledge like that as being overly fair, and I don't expect others to know, so I'll just mention things like 'oh thats the only tile like that in the game' or if they place it in a spot where, due to surrounding pieces, there's a low chance of it being finished, say like 'theres only maybe two pieces in the box left that can actually go there'.

All pre-action taken, none of this post-action gloating.

Haven't had people to tell me to knock it off yet, but if they did, I would. I just try to be helpful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ravendas posted:

I'm the type of person that doesn't see knowledge like that as being overly fair, and I don't expect others to know, so I'll just mention things like 'oh thats the only tile like that in the game' or if they place it in a spot where, due to surrounding pieces, there's a low chance of it being finished, say like 'theres only maybe two pieces in the box left that can actually go there'.

All pre-action taken, none of this post-action gloating.

Haven't had people to tell me to knock it off yet, but if they did, I would. I just try to be helpful!

I mean, it's totally fair, it's just a more obvious 'reward of experience'

The problem is a game with people of different skill levels and one guy being a jackass about it. It can be solved by not being a jackass and keeping your mouth shut or helping close the skill gap a bit (your approach).