Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StoryTime posted:

Then there's the Gothic series for some real classics, but those haven't aged well.

Excuse me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shine posted:

I can't speak for anything modern, but this just reminded me of the Spy vs. Merc PvP in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. That poo poo was so cool. The meta game became pretty whacky after a while, with spies having much more aggressive and kill-oriented play than I think the devs intended, but the first few weeks when nobody really knew what to do, that was a good loving time.

Bunnyhop has an incredibly good video on the subject (and playing it today)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ753pwa0B8

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kestral posted:

I'm looking for single-player PC games that I can play at a very gentle pace while recovering from repetitive stress injuries on both wrists - turns out there's only so much TV I can endure, but I'm hoping I can play something without aggravating my wrists. Anything with a lot of left-mouse clicking, mousewheel scrolling, or WASD controls is out for a while.

Required
* PC, single-player.

* Either solid gamepad controls, or minimal clicking/button-pushing per unit of gameplay.

* Easily pausable. I need to be able to take breaks often, and I get interrupted frequently.

* A relatively gentle pace: Hades was too much, for example.

Ideal
* Something with that "I could listen to a podcast / audiobook while doing this" quality; I've got a lot of listening to catch up on. Warframe and Stardew Valley are good examples of this, at least for me.

both of the new Xcom games have excellent controller support for PC, both games are incredible.

if you play on a lower difficulty you can totally listen to an audiobook without having to focus too hard. or you can turn the difficulty up and you will have no problem worrying about clicking too fast because you will pondering your moves with great care.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

I'd put Gothic in the same pile as Morrowind. It's still cool to mess around with mods and stuff if you played it back in the day. If you didn't, it's very very hard to get into or care at all. Something like Arx Fatalis stands up better these days because it's a more cohesive experience.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Zaphod42 posted:

Bunnyhop has an incredibly good video on the subject (and playing it today)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ753pwa0B8

Holy poo poo that took me back. Thanks for sharing!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
A game that plays like a miniatures game: customizable party/unirs limited leveling or economy, objectives ideally but deathmatch is fine. So a turn based, ideally grid, game where positioning and terrain matters.

Played to death: battletech, FFT, Fell Seal, Wargroove,baulders gate, xcoms, into the breach

Also I’ve played ToME to death now and it makes me sad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Naramyth posted:

A game that plays like a miniatures game: customizable party/unirs limited leveling or economy, objectives ideally but deathmatch is fine. So a turn based, ideally grid, game where positioning and terrain matters.

Played to death: battletech, FFT, Fell Seal, Wargroove,baulders gate, xcoms, into the breach

Fire Emblem or Trouble Shooter

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3924497

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Naramyth posted:

Warhammer: Mechanicus
Valkyria Chronicles 4

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Naramyth posted:

Having the same SRPG itch I would throw in Divinity Original Sin 2 if you haven't tried it before. Best to roll with pre-made characters for the backstories but you can completely reclass anyone once they join your party so you have full control over the skill, and the skill/spell effect interplay is some of the coolest to be found.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

StoryTime posted:

I'd put Gothic in the same pile as Morrowind. It's still cool to mess around with mods and stuff if you played it back in the day. If you didn't, it's very very hard to get into or care at all. Something like Arx Fatalis stands up better these days because it's a more cohesive experience.

Gothic is notorious as a game that was mechanically divisive even in the day, with a unique control scheme, inventory UI, combat mechanics etc. that pretty much only exist in that game. Unlike Morrowind, which really aged very poorly, it's still as functional as it was back then, and it's just a matter of personal preference how you feel about it. If you hate it today, you'd have hated it then, and vice versa. Personally I'm still impressed that it's a complex RPG that can be basically effortlessly played with just one hand once you get used to it (which is very easy).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Having the same SRPG itch I would throw in Divinity Original Sin 2 if you haven't tried it before. Best to roll with pre-made characters for the backstories but you can completely reclass anyone once they join your party so you have full control over the skill, and the skill/spell effect interplay is some of the coolest to be found.

Especially great if you have a friend who is into tactics. Been playing through D:OS2 with my gf and we are having mad fun playing on hard and trying to come up with the perfect strategy and combo of attacks to get through each encounter.

There's some real fun interactions with things like "cast spell to create rain, makes puddles" -> "cast lighting to electrocute people standing in puddles" and so on. Adds heaps to the strategy as you have to plan the order of operations.

The character building system is also very flexible and allows you to create your own "classes"

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Naramyth posted:

Breach & Clear is a nice little "SWAT guys taking down a house of bad guys" type tactical game, like a top down turn based Rainbow Six. It's definitely simpler than a lot of the ones you mention but it's cheap on Steam and it's fun. The upgrading is pretty simple but there is some of it, it's just stuff like choosing between giving a guy a 5% boost to movement speed or to accuracy, not wholesale new powers like a Baldur's Gate spellbook. I'm not sure I'd recommend it full price but I think it's absolutely worth adding to a wish list to watch for a sale.

Frozen Synapse 1 and 2 (I haven't played 2 but I understand the gameplay is fairly similar, just with a more complex strategic landscape around the missions) isn't grid based but it's another top down We-Go tactical shooting game that's a little bit deeper than Breach & Clear, more complex missions and choices within the mission, and it has more fleshed out strategic choices between fights. I also found it to be fairly difficult, if you like that sort of thing.

Edit: Also I haven't played it but I heard the Gears Tactics game from the Gears of War franchise is a very good XCOM ripoff, I'm seriously considering buying it. You might want to look into it too, though obviously I can't personally recommend it yet.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 23, 2021

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
What are the best cheap (preferably less than $10) Switch games that aren't available on Steam?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Shine posted:

I can't speak for anything modern, but this just reminded me of the Spy vs. Merc PvP in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. That poo poo was so cool. The meta game became pretty whacky after a while, with spies having much more aggressive and kill-oriented play than I think the devs intended, but the first few weeks when nobody really knew what to do, that was a good loving time.

For some reason this made me think of Spy vs Spy for the NES, and now I'm imagining an FPS with that style of gameplay

:allears:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ciaphas posted:

For some reason this made me think of Spy vs Spy for the NES, and now I'm imagining an FPS with that style of gameplay

:allears:

My brother and I would play Spy vs. Spy Island on Atari 800, except we always played cooperatively, trying to assemble the rocket together and then both running out to the submarine (and pretending that one of us wasn't actually drowning, as the gameplay suggested).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Card Hunter is a turn based, card based rpg where you actually control literal miniatures in a series of missions on the backdrop of a Dungeons and Dragons style game. Positioning and card management is critical.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Thanks for all the recs. I have bounced of divinity 2 a bunch. It’s far to talky and not enough stabby for me.

Frozen synapse is real good. I might need to play that again.

Lol the last time I went though this itch I played card hunter for like 40 hours.

Breach and clear I’ll have to scope out. Idk if it’s on my wishlist but I’ll check on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Shine posted:

My brother and I would play Spy vs. Spy Island on Atari 800, except we always played cooperatively, trying to assemble the rocket together and then both running out to the submarine (and pretending that one of us wasn't actually drowning, as the gameplay suggested).

:kimchi: af

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have been in zoom hell for work so I have a specific set of requirements for a game. I want something that can be played comfortably in a window that's like a third of the screen while video runs in the background, can run on a lovely work laptop, is actually engaging, and has progress across multiple sessions. I can't use a controller unfortunately.

Any suggestions?

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Underrail

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Naramyth posted:

Lol the last time I went though this itch I played card hunter for like 40 hours.

Perfect recc, score!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Naramyth posted:

Battle Brothers

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Monster Train was my standout WFH game this year but I don't know if the card stuff would scale down well at a third of the screen.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looking for a co-op FPS. Preferably something that came out in the last five years. My all time favorite was Halo. I played Destiny for a bit, but the loot treadmill was too tedious.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

Looking for a co-op FPS. Preferably something that came out in the last five years. My all time favorite was Halo. I played Destiny for a bit, but the loot treadmill was too tedious.

GTFO is good. Deeprock Galactic is fun but a little weird. Vermintide 2 is a great game, focused primarily on melee combat though. Ghost Recon Wildlands is an open world modern shooter, third person though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

LLSix posted:

I’m super addicted to Killing Floor 2. PvE co-op, 1-6 players surviving against waves of mutant clone monsters and then a boss. Has character classes, nice weapon variety, and some really ridiculous charm and flavor.

It also has no real plot to speak of, though, if that’s something that you want out of your game.

Edit: One of my favorite things about KF2 is that the healer class doesn’t even need to stop killing people, they can just pick up one of the several guns that has an alt fire that shoots healing darts instead of bullets. (And other classes can heal, too, they just pick the one of their own weapons that also has a healy dart option.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 26, 2021

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

LLSix posted:

If you want something slower-paced and with some survival/lootery added in, I've had some real fun with a buddy in Generation Zero. Cool robot enemies, gorgeous scenery and pretty seamless co-op. Bonus for eighties nostalgia if you're our age. Running into an actual phone booth in the wild was a weird instant sense memory trigger for me.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

LLSix posted:

I'm going to unironically recommend Borderlands 3. The shooting is a ton of fun. Just mute the cutscenes.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

LLSix posted:

Gunfire Reborn is a really good roguelite looter shooter thing. Still in early access but it has quite a bit of content and polish atm regardless, and getting geared up through half hour to hour long runs really solves the tedium problems of destiny imo.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Not sure if this is the thread for this, but anyone know how the multiplayer in Barotrauma is? Can you just create a server with only 2-4 people, does it function well like that?

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for a co-op or team squad focused FPS for PC.

Like Left for Dead, or Hunt: Showdown.

Something that has an active community still where I can find peeps to play with. Thanks!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

5thMouseButton posted:

Something that has an active community still where I can find peeps to play with. Thanks!

Deep Rock Galactic is what you want. Or Vermintide 2 but that’s less of an FPS.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

5thMouseButton posted:

Payday 2, Vermintide 2, Rainbow Six: Siege,

Counter-strike is evergreen

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has anyone played that House Flipper game by Empyrean? Are the controls mild enough for a non-gamer to play on PC? Looking at buying it for a senior family member who plays Stardew and a little WoW.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Galick posted:

Not sure if this is the thread for this, but anyone know how the multiplayer in Barotrauma is? Can you just create a server with only 2-4 people, does it function well like that?

I'd say three is the minimum really, but you can have plenty fun with three.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Hughmoris posted:

Has anyone played that House Flipper game by Empyrean? Are the controls mild enough for a non-gamer to play on PC? Looking at buying it for a senior family member who plays Stardew and a little WoW.

I think if they could manage those two they should be fine. My sister is pretty bad with things like "using both analogue sticks at the same time" and she has no problem playing it on PC. Well, at least once I told her to change the FOV so she'd stop getting nauseated.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

5thMouseButton posted:

I won't just up about this game: Killing Floor 2 is still active and still has quite the player base.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

One of the things I like most about Death Stranding gameplay-wise is the Sticky Gun

https://i.imgur.com/V5CQl28.mp4

Only other PC games I can think of with this sort of thing are the Prototype games from ten years ago (:corsair: :ohno:), and that's only sort-of it. My second thought was a spidermans, but those don't actually seem to exist on PC. Anyone have any other suggestions?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I guess the closest on PC would probably be the tethers in the Just Cause series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Teardown has stuff like that, and of course HL2's gravity gun. HL Alyx also has grav gloves.

Kerbal Space Program, Astroneer, and some other puzzle/building games have loads of stuff going on in that space as well.