Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm about ten hours into Gujian 3 at this time and I have to say that it's an... incredibly Chinese game, in the same sense that a lot JRPGs just feel really Japanese. The entire thing has a real sense of being the video game form of a Xianxia or Wuxia novel, in terms of design and overall character archetypes.

It also feels like a game that should've been made ten years ago. The world isn't ugly, but there is a lot of pop-in and most major city areas are big, empty, and full of NPCs that literally say nothing and can't even be interacted with. A long way from being bad, certainly - I'm having fun - but it's also something that has to be approached as kind of its own thing, not necessarily something that fits well into the Western market at this point in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

What are y'all playing currently? I'm going between the Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker, Factorio, Hitman 3, Utawaremono and The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. These games own.

I have been playing the spaceship sandbox Elite Dangerous, which will be getting a first-person shooting/exploration expansion called Odyssey some time before summer.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

What are y'all playing currently? I'm going between the Infectious Madness of Dr Dekker, Factorio, Hitman 3, Utawaremono and The Void Rains Upon Her Heart. These games own.

I just beat Kiwami 2 (was great) and will do some achievement hunting (not 100%). Also doing post-campaign stuff for Disgaea 2 (also good) and should finish Quantum Break (ok'ish).

(I also bought my first Nintendo since NES to see if Ring Fit Adventure could make me actually exercise)

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

its path of exile league time im playing poe!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

Death Stranding and Dyson Sphere Program here

norman reedus and the incredible fetus is so weirdly compelling to play. story's a load of bollocks, themes aside, though

whereas space spheroid factory is pretty much "Factorio, but..." and that's all I need it to be

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I started Hollow Knight recently and it seems like a pretty good game, who knew?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm playing through Schein right now and unless it really shits the bed at the end I'm going to declare it a hidden gem. It's a puzzle platformer with some pretty decent challenges in both aspects, which is a balance that a lot of games struggle to hit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tried to give Star Valor a shot but the opening flash gordon/star wars text crawl really did not inspire confidence.

At least Space Rangers had the decency to have its opening text crawl in plain text without reminding its players of a more famous IP. Granted when I originally played it in the aughts it also had a nearly impenetrable russian-to-english translation.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Playing some Beatsaber and Fallout 4 VR. I'm quickly becoming a VR fanboy.

DatonKallandor posted:

Fallen Order, but man that game runs like poo poo. It's one of the worst games on a technical level that I've seen come out of AAA in a long time.

I'm a little surprised at this as it ran very well on my old PC with pretty mediocre specs.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Fallen Order, but man that game runs like poo poo. It's one of the worst games on a technical level that I've seen come out of AAA in a long time.

Also incredibly bland for a game that can take place anywhere in fictional space, almost retro with the way the different planets act as early 00s level backdrops. Gotta have the ice level, the jungle level, the spooky level, etc.

I definitely played that game within the last year but I can tell almost nothing about it save for the odd set piece.

Very competent but I think playing it right after Tsushima set the bar too high.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

The asset loading/unloading is pretty heavy. Definitely run it off a ssd if you can, and double-check that your RAM is running in dual-channel mode!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Very competent but I think playing it right after Tsushima set the bar too high.
Not even actually that competent, in terms of pure game design. There are multiple climbing sections where you can literally jump right off of a wall because the animations where not designed to take curved surfaces into account, which you must climb across more than once. Just straight up 'right climb-dash -> fall to your death' poo poo. It's laughable.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I beat Dungeonmans a few days ago and haven't started a new game yet, but when I do it'll probably be either Wandersong or Creepy Castle. But! There is also a hidden object build-your-own bundle at Fanatical at the moment so I might grab a couple of those for a casual destress in-between.

I might also start The Void Rains Upon Her Heart now the new update's out, although I wonder if I should wait for 1.0 before touching it if there's more story stuff coming in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am replaying Rebel Galaxy, a game I allegedly played for 14.4 hours sometime in 2015. The music is atrocious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2GikVQXvf0

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Glare Seethe posted:

I might also start The Void Rains Upon Her Heart now the new update's out, although I wonder if I should wait for 1.0 before touching it if there's more story stuff coming in.

IMHO you shouldn't wait, it's got enough story to get you hooked, and it clearly signposts where story should be but isn't. Given its roguelite structure - face bosses up until you win or lose against a final one - and even if you win the story "loops" as you're trying to figure out how to stop the rain - in my opinion all you're missing is the ending. Which means you have a TON of bosses to face, all of their variants, items to unlock, quickplay, the different difficulty levels, and at least three player characters. (I haven't unlocked the fourth yet!)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

zoux posted:

I am replaying Rebel Galaxy, a game I allegedly played for 14.4 hours sometime in 2015. The music is atrocious.

lol thanks for that video

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

StrixNebulosa posted:

IMHO you shouldn't wait, it's got enough story to get you hooked, and it clearly signposts where story should be but isn't. Given its roguelite structure - face bosses up until you win or lose against a final one - and even if you win the story "loops" as you're trying to figure out how to stop the rain - in my opinion all you're missing is the ending. Which means you have a TON of bosses to face, all of their variants, items to unlock, quickplay, the different difficulty levels, and at least three player characters. (I haven't unlocked the fourth yet!)

I was hoping that was the case cause I actually did want to get to it soon! Good to know. Looking at the forums just now it sounds like you can replay story scenes at any time, so even if new stuff is added outside the ending you'd still be able to experience the story progression properly (if I understand correctly how it works).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

Cyberpunk 2077 and various indie PC titles on Switch Lite which is my new preferred way to play smaller games.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Palpek posted:

Cyberpunk 2077 and various indie PC titles on Switch Lite which is my new preferred way to play smaller games.

any hidden gems to call out?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Xarbala posted:

Tried to give Star Valor a shot but the opening flash gordon/star wars text crawl really did not inspire confidence.

At least Space Rangers had the decency to have its opening text crawl in plain text without reminding its players of a more famous IP. Granted when I originally played it in the aughts it also had a nearly impenetrable russian-to-english translation.

The best way to describe Star Valor to me is "competent". It's not bad. It's not great. It's slightly better than "okay".

A true filler game while everyone waits for Starsector to release the next update.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palpek posted:

I am all about playing indie titles on the Switch. Currently playing CrossCode and loving it. My PC is dedicated to more demanding titles. About to wrap up Cyberpunk 2077 and move on to finish Death Stranding.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Glare Seethe posted:

I was hoping that was the case cause I actually did want to get to it soon! Good to know. Looking at the forums just now it sounds like you can replay story scenes at any time, so even if new stuff is added outside the ending you'd still be able to experience the story progression properly (if I understand correctly how it works).

Yup! I assume the dev will slot the story stuff into where it belongs as it's updated too - so you can say, beat a certain final boss and instead of the "welp this is a placeholder but you can fight me anyways!" it'll play the intended story bit.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

StrixNebulosa posted:

SO

Video games

I've been dipping back into Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth, since they just dropped stages 3 and 4. Really excited to see that game finished, what's there so far is fantastic. Also picked up The Outer Worlds on sale yesterday, I played it on game pass last year but a combination of high expectations and its proximity to Disco Elysium ended up making me bounce off of it. Having a much better time this go 'round.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
One game I've been meaning to harp on about is Hexagroove : Tactical DJ

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1396140/Hexagroove_Tactical_DJ/

If you want to read my effort-review, it's there on the Steam store page, but it's basically a rhythm game where the emphasis isn't on quick reflexes and button timing, but instead about layering different loops for each instrument (kick drums, hi-hats, bass, rhythm, lead instruments) to put together tracks on the fly. It's obviously a passion project by people who are really into electronic music - you won't find any mainstream EDM junk or anything like that, but instead there are pitch perfect examples of genres like minimal techno, psytrance, deep house and even a drum & bass track that sounds like it came straight out of 1998 in the best way possible.

I hesitate to even call it a game. It's got a campaign mode where you work to unlock each tier of songs, and you've got to keep the groove going to do so, which can get tricky on the later levels until you figure out the best way to keep your meter up. And there's little mini-games where you steer down a winding path or tap buttons along to the beat, but there's no pre-determined order you have to follow during the bulk of gameplay and you have a lot of flexibility in how you mix the different loops. Most of my time has just been sitting down and vibing out in freestyle mode.

The price point is a little high for how much you'll get out of it, especially if you're looking for a more traditional game experience. If you like playing games for the challenge, you'll end up plowing through in maybe 3-5 hours tops. They recently added a free expansion which brings the total number of tracks up to 15. It's not really a lot, but the quality of each song is superb and are all the sort of stuff I would be legit excited to hear on a night out. If you're still interested, there's a free demo you can check out on Steam that will let you know pretty quickly if it's for you or not. A quick heads up though : it's strictly controller based and there is zero keyboard support, and I know that's a straight up no-go for some people. Somewhat ridiculous subtitle aside, it's definitely in my top 5 for games released in 2020.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I very much doubt anyone is planning to right now but don't buy Saint's Row 4. It's unstable as gently caress these days, constant freezing on top of a game that was already kind of buggy. Have been trying to play co-op with a friend and it's been a huge troubleshooting nightmare with no end in sight.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Also incredibly bland for a game that can take place anywhere in fictional space, almost retro with the way the different planets act as early 00s level backdrops. Gotta have the ice level, the jungle level, the spooky level, etc.

Star Wars canon requires all planets be single biome :c00lbert:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Dyson Sphere Program is really good already. Can't wait to see where they take it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

DatonKallandor posted:

This game eventually made me upgrade my nearly 10 year old cpu. Did a new full build with a 5800x and 3080 after a couple months of waiting. Turns out it still runs worse than any other game I've tried since updating. :v: Supposedly 1440p seems to bring out the lovely performance more (what I run).

I'm playing through HL alyx and trying to understand how to play path of exile excel currently.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

lordfrikk posted:

Dyson Sphere Program is really good already. Can't wait to see where they take it.

This game has chewed me up and spit me out, sleep deprived, dehydrated and malnourished.

A+

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm about ten hours into Gujian 3 at this time and I have to say that it's an... incredibly Chinese game, in the same sense that a lot JRPGs just feel really Japanese. The entire thing has a real sense of being the video game form of a Xianxia or Wuxia novel, in terms of design and overall character archetypes.

It also feels like a game that should've been made ten years ago. The world isn't ugly, but there is a lot of pop-in and most major city areas are big, empty, and full of NPCs that literally say nothing and can't even be interacted with. A long way from being bad, certainly - I'm having fun - but it's also something that has to be approached as kind of its own thing, not necessarily something that fits well into the Western market at this point in time.

I'm in act 3 and definitely agree with this. I'm pretty glad I played this on easy too, I just want to experience the weird story and scenery. Theres a fuckload of cutscenes in this game too, just kinda wish that there was an option to make the subtitles bigger. Its definitely a game that you I have to play with a guide too. The research stuff, the seal puzzles, fishing locations, and when to check for a lengthy missable sidequest are all things that I use some assistance with.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know how many of these are hidden but I've been enjoying AI: The Somnium Files, Paradise Killer, Gorogoa, Truberbrook and the excellent WHAT THE GOLF?

Apart from those the more known games like Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Monster Boy are absolutely perfect for Switch Lite, they work really well with the controls, size of the screen and they look crisp.

Ragequit posted:

I am all about playing indie titles on the Switch. Currently playing CrossCode and loving it. My PC is dedicated to more demanding titles. About to wrap up Cyberpunk 2077 and move on to finish Death Stranding.
:cool::respek::cool: The best thing is actually finishing older titles on the Switch that I somehow can't bring myself to sit down in front of a screen for. Owns.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

ChrisBTY posted:

So TIL Eador: Genesis exists...what's to recommend it over MotBW/Imperium?
(I got real confused when I thought everybody was calling Imperium 'Genesis' for some reason).

A lot less now than at the release of MOTBW, to be honest. The metaphor I use is that Eador MOTBW is sort of like a modded to the gills version of Genesis. You lose stability, the ability to run on a toaster, and a "consistent UI vision." I think I already talked about the elimination of the single click turn rewind. The Citadel upgrade screen used to be just one big screen with subheadings, instead of being broken up into all those little boxes. The action ring has sort of grown on me, but I still prefer the lower right hand box. No facing micromanagement, or backstabs. Honestly a little bit of sunk cost fallacy too, since MOTBW is the same script/basic units/etc. but for a higher price. Eador exhaustion was also a factor, people played a whole bunch of Genesis. The sequel didn't have the same mystique of an undiscovered gem inheriting the classic Heroes of Might and Magic mantle, complete with 2d graphics. Cheap 2d graphics generally look better than cheap 3d graphics.

The astral layer is way better in MotBW now. Automatically getting rewards from lower level shards is huge. Hero carry over also sounds great. The different shard modifiers are great at mixing things up. If you do get the racial unit pack it breaks up a lot of otherwise samey fights. But these things were slowly introduced over the life of the game. I don't think they even had a tooltip advising you to set animations to max speed when they released.

Tldr: People who started with Genesis feel about MotBW the way people who started with MotBW feel about Imperium

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 24, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Palpek posted:

I don't know how many of these are hidden but I've been enjoying AI: The Somnium Files, Paradise Killer, Gorogoa, Truberbrook and the excellent WHAT THE GOLF?

Ah, golf. Good old traditional, no-frills golf.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm in act 3 and definitely agree with this. I'm pretty glad I played this on easy too, I just want to experience the weird story and scenery. Theres a fuckload of cutscenes in this game too, just kinda wish that there was an option to make the subtitles bigger. Its definitely a game that you I have to play with a guide too. The research stuff, the seal puzzles, fishing locations, and when to check for a lengthy missable sidequest are all things that I use some assistance with.

The seal puzzles seemed like they had a pattern and then didn't, not sure how but I managed to figure most of them out without learning how it worked.

Fishing was easier as everything was marked, specific bait for specific things but that wasn't too bad. It was more struggling to get that last fish you need when you keep getting everything else.

The research minigame is absolutely impossible to enjoy without a guide. It asks a ton of questions I can only assume is taught in Chinese public education, like "What wood should be used for this Ming Era table?" motherfuck how would anyone short of an actual expert on Ming furniture known that from memory? I still 100% all the research and crafting but the guide made it fun instead of excruciating trial and error. The only ones that seriously interested me were the cooking ones as it seemed all the questions could've been figured out if you had a general knowledge of cooking techniques and knew something about the dish in question.

Missable side quests are the big one. There's no clear indication for when you're reaching a new chapter so every main quest 'beat" you kind of have to spend a few minutes popping over to every (yeah, every map I found a sidequest in the 2D world once) and check.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Here are a few lesser known titles on Switch:

Golf Story: Humorous sprite golf game where you can tee off anywhere to solve your problems with golf balls. Lots of fun courses and challenges.

Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling: Paper Mario with bugs.

Good Job!: Complete tasks around the office in insane ways. Setting up a projector? Sling shot that sucker with a taught power cord and send it flying through the office causing damage and mayhem.

Part Time UFO: Crane game but you are a UFO (with hats!) that completes goofy objectives.

Titles on PC and Switch:

Hypnospace Outlaw: 90s internet sim to the core. Kind of hard to describe this one but it’s a trip.

Voxelgram: 3D Picross, can’t go wrong if you like puzzles.

I don’t play many obscure titles, but these are all solid fun.

Edit: Added Voxelgram. No idea how I missed this as I have been playing a lot lately. Currently on puzzle 164 out of 190.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 24, 2021

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I've been playing Bloodstained and while it isn't bad, and is definitely in the vein of the Igavanias for obvious reasons, I feel like Hollow Knight has surpassed it in terms of metroidvania design. My main issue with Bloodstained is that after the cathedral zone, the game has just been ludicrously easy. This may be my own fault for starting with Normal, but I haven't been challenged in a while. The last few bosses get off one attack before dying easy, and it makes me feel like I'm missing out on the design of what could have been an interesting boss fight if I weren't so damned powerful. Theoretically I can handicap myself but not using the weapon or spells I'm using, but a gentleman's agreement seems like a poor fix for difficulty.

I feel like the game is also really linear, where instead of feeling like I'm actually exploring the castle, I'm just going through the next door that was opened for me from the last ability I got. I thought it was because I was just at the beginning, but I'm about 60% clear of the castle, per the save game indicator, and there's just no sense of exploration.

Again, comparing to Hollow Knight is probably cheating, but there was a real sense of exploration (and the danger thereof) and challenge throughout the game, just because the gap between where you are at the start of the game and where you are at the end is much, much narrower.

I like Bloodstained, but I imagine at some point it'll seem like a chore to play through and I'll start rushing towards the end.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I finally hit 80 hours in Factorio! :toot:

I’m working on getting my rocket ingredients made and researching the launch pad itself and I am so close to winning!

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I finally hit 80 hours in Factorio! :toot:

I’m working on getting my rocket ingredients made and researching the launch pad itself and I am so close to winning!

By 'winning' you of course mean launching a rocket every second, yes? :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dang, thanks for telling me about voxelgram. i loved the 3d picross games on ds, and i've been looking for something i can play with my off hand alone. my aging, ailing cat has claimed my right hand for his personal use at night, you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

zoux posted:

I like my guitars twangy, but even I pretty quickly replaced the music with the Brigador OST (I think you can set your own playlists in the launcher, which was kind of the devs).