Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
So y'all are telling me people don't make garlic bread by massaging it aggressively with their forearms?

I loving knew it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Sakurazuka posted:

'Homemade meatball panini'. Would have said the meatballs tasted like they came out of a tin except they would have had some salt in then.

What drugs were you on when you thought this would be good?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

do you think these were anywhere near as good as my memory tells me they were?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Aardvark! posted:

No those things loving sucked

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Aardvark! posted:

i've been doing some nostalgia based food shopping lately, tracking down and eating snacks that i hadn't had since childhood.

let me tell you, they never ever are.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Aardvark! posted:

yes but its it a brain-boosting performance-snack?

Action Pizza!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kid me liked Doritos 3D, adult me would think they’re crap and would rather get a bag of normal Doritos.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember them being pretty good, but in the time since I've stopped eating doritos in general.

I bet they're a terrible value per volume.

I'm pretty sure they still make potato sticks, but they're too hilariously unhealthy and greasy for me to eat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

uber_stoat posted:

i've been doing some nostalgia based food shopping lately, tracking down and eating snacks that i hadn't had since childhood.

That's what I found with Crystal Pepsi. I thought I remembered liking it as a kid, but when I tried it years ago, it sucked; tasted like Pepsi that had lost its fizz.

I'm hoping that when I finally get a chance to try Dunkaroos, they'll live up to the hype (they probably won't).

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Desert Bus posted:

What drugs were you on when you thought this would be good?

Not exactly what I expected when I ordered it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m intrigued by the 3D doritos bc doritos are a guilty pleasure but I’m not a fan of how hard and crunchy they are. I could do with a puffy dorito.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
3D doritos ruled. They had a stronger corn taste than bugles, but were textural pretty similar except the walls or whatever you want to call them were thinner. I don't recall ever having the weird mini ones in a plastic tube, but the bigger ones in a bag were awesome af.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

uber_stoat posted:

Disagree, those Spanish blister pack gummy candies were just as good as I remembered.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That's what I found with Crystal Pepsi. I thought I remembered liking it as a kid, but when I tried it years ago, it sucked; tasted like Pepsi that had lost its fizz.

I'm hoping that when I finally get a chance to try Dunkaroos, they'll live up to the hype (they probably won't).

I remember Crystal Pepsi having a lemon lime flavor and no one can change my mind. It tasted like Pepsi mixed with 7up, I swear it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

'Homemade meatball panini'. Would have said the meatballs tasted like they came out of a tin except they would have had some salt in then.

eyeballs are a kind of meatball

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

fizzymercy posted:

I remember Crystal Pepsi having a lemon lime flavor and no one can change my mind. It tasted like Pepsi mixed with 7up, I swear it.

I think that's a fairly accurate description. The 7-Up just tasted flat to me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:nms: you’ll be reminded of your high school biology dissection class...

https://i.imgur.com/hK9tpaL.jpg

A lot more gross stuff here:
https://imgur.com/gallery/44YDb

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

yes but its it a brain-boosting performance-snack?

Action Pizza!

Someone gave me a bag of these (they weren't in cannister form like this) and they were actually pretty good. Kinda like if there was a pizza flavored Chex Mix. This is in no way excusing the name.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

dog nougat posted:

3D doritos ruled. They had a stronger corn taste than bugles, but were textural pretty similar except the walls or whatever you want to call them were thinner. I don't recall ever having the weird mini ones in a plastic tube, but the bigger ones in a bag were awesome af.

I only miss 3D Doritos because they had a jalapeno cheddar flavor that was amazing but they never, ever made it a flavor for the regular chips.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

My family loved Planters Cheez Balls. They had a rich cheese flavor, great texture, the whole nine yards. We were disappointed when they were discontinued and pleased when they made an unexpected comeback a few years ago.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that when you start typing "Planters Cheez Balls" into Google, it helpfully adds "not the same". :smith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God dammit those were the best.

Sometimes dead is better

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Sakurazuka posted:

Not exactly what I expected when I ordered it
Did you order it off a facebook ad?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

god I loved crystal pepsi and I hope they bring it back, again.

fizzymercy posted:

the reboot at least tasted sorta halfway between cola and ginger ale, to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scarodactyl posted:

Did you order it off a facebook ad?

No they have these restaurants now where you can look at a menu online and order it and they bring it to your door!
Sometimes it's horrifically not as described

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I only miss 3D Doritos because they had a jalapeno cheddar flavor that was amazing but they never, ever made it a flavor for the regular chips.

They do in Canada apparently

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Goddamit, I keep looking for Planter's Cheez Balls after getting a nostalgia-fueled can a year or two again, but it does look like it didn't last. Why the hell don't they produce them when there seems to be a significant demand?

My favorite chip-type thing was the black pepper Popchips, which of course also got discontinued.

I have to order my cucumber Spindrift online because nowhere in the state carries it in stores anymore.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

They do in Canada apparently

Speaking of Canada, tor a while they were selling the all dressed ruffles down here and I fuckin loved em. They mysteriously vanished and I haven't seen them in years. Tangentially related, when I lived in SF there was a corner grocery that had a bunch of imported snacks from the UK. Those were some good-rear end flavors. Cheese and onion was really drat good, this was like 9 years ago so I kinda forget what other flavors there were. I also discovered my love for jaffa cakes and jelly babies. I still long for that weird, slightly harder outer gummy portion of a jelly baby from time to time. Also black currant candy rules and we need it here in the US.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they should introduct blackcurrant for most things in the us but it wont sell because americans love candy that gives you diabetes good and proper

not that the commonwealth is stranger to a good ol bout of the betes

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dog nougat posted:

Also black currant candy rules and we need it here in the US.

Black currant is indeed awesome. I can't remember if it was from this thread or somewhere else, but I finally found out why it's a rare flavor in the US - it apparently got eradicated and banned due to fears of it being a vector for a disease of pine trees, putting logging at risk. It's making a comeback in the US but not very rapidly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant#History

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Goddamit, I keep looking for Planter's Cheez Balls after getting a nostalgia-fueled can a year or two again, but it does look like it didn't last. Why the hell don't they produce them when there seems to be a significant demand?

My wife brought these home from Kroger last week so they are definitely still around.

https://www.amazon.com/Planters-Cheez-Balls-2-75-Ounce/dp/B07DJ4V2S5

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Black currant is indeed awesome. I can't remember if it was from this thread or somewhere else, but I finally found out why it's a rare flavor in the US - it apparently got eradicated and banned due to fears of it being a vector for a disease of pine trees, putting logging at risk. It's making a comeback in the US but not very rapidly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant#History

Huh interesting. My mom planted a row of 6 or 7 them at the house I grew up in in rural PA in the mid-late 80s. I didn't really care for the taste of them by themselves, but in things they're delicious. My parents were kinda weird-ish hippie types and we grew a lot of fruits and veggies. I remember leafing through the seed and plant catalog looking at all the cool different fruit trees and weird veggies. I haven't been back there in like 3-4 years, but there's a really big Arkansas Black apple tree growing out behind the garage that produces a seemingly endless supply of apples every year, along with a slew of like 15 other fruit trees, but this one is incredibly prolific. I should try to visit again sometime when it's apple picking and therefore also cider making time.

Edit: Apparently gooseberries can also carry the blight or whatever it is as well. This link from Penn State's agriculture department goes into some detail about the cultivation of both, which I just found out are apparently related.

dog nougat has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Jan 24, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dog nougat posted:

Huh interesting. My mom planted a row of 6 or 7 them at the house I grew up in in rural PA in the mid-late 80s. I didn't really care for the taste of them by themselves, but in things they're delicious. My parents were kinda weird-ish hippie types and we grew a lot of fruits and veggies. I remember leafing through the seed and plant catalog looking at all the cool different fruit trees and weird veggies. I haven't been back there in like 3-4 years, but there's a really big Arkansas Black apple tree growing out behind the garage that produces a seemingly endless supply of apples every year, along with a slew of like 15 other fruit trees, but this one is incredibly prolific. I should try to visit again sometime when it's apple picking and therefore also cider making time.

Edit: Apparently gooseberries can also carry the blight or whatever it is as well. This link from Penn State's agriculture department goes into some detail about the cultivation of both, which I just found out are apparently related.

My mom is English, and I remember gooseberries from when we'd visit her family back there, and I remember being pretty underwhelmed with them. I swear we had a single bush here in the states when I was a kid, but that memory doesn't feel completely reliable.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

They're no different than any other "dip the cookie stick in the chocolate spread" snack, really. If you're okay with those, you'll be okay with Dunkaroos, but they're also nothing more than that, really.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

dog nougat posted:

My great-aunt/uncle had Gooseberry bushes and when we'd visit them when I was a kid my great-aunt would make the most amazing Gooseberry Cobbler and now you got me all nostalgic and hungry for something I can probably never have again.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can order jalapeño cheddar doritos on amazon.

The canadian chips I miss are glorious PC loads of ketchup potato chips

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aardvark! posted:

No. Those puffed waffle corn chips were not good. The flavor dust didn't attach to them like a flat chip or a crunchy puff or a big puff. They were hollow flavorless crunchy things.

Which is odd because Bugles are still good. Something about the waffle pattern making a bunch of holes in the structure made them not carry flavor.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

Pringles has a Wavy (ruffled) version of Jalapeno cheddar that is very good. If you like Jalapeno cheddar you should try it.

I prefer the wavy and ruffled version over plain versions because of the greater structural integrity of the wavy ruffled form. I also prefer kettle chips for the same reason.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 11:54 on Jan 24, 2021

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I loved chef boyarde as a kid! As an adult i still do but all that carb and sodium can get to ya.

poo poo, as an adult id just open a can and eat right out of it with a spoon. Warming food up is 4 suckers

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Both gooseberries and blackcurrants are things you don't eat on their own but as part of something else, normally will just enough sugar to cut the tartness. Blackcurrant jam is my favourite jam, gooseberry crumble with custard is great as it has enough tartness to counter the sweetness of the topping.

First thing I planted in my veg garden was a red gooseberry bush which gives me a good couple of crops a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I loved chef boyarde as a kid! As an adult i still do but all that carb and sodium can get to ya.

poo poo, as an adult id just open a can and eat right out of it with a spoon. Warming food up is 4 suckers

Heating chef boyardee pasta does not improve the flavor in a way that's worth it.