Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Only time not to take apparitions is if you're trying to make the game harder. It's too good, even 3 of em.

*I'm only over A15 on Ironclad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
The Silent card that plays skills twice is insane with apparition, as is nightmare.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The Silent card that plays skills twice is insane with apparition, as is nightmare.

that card combined with a bunch of turtling/weak abilities was like the only time I've ever been able to effectively use The Bomb :v:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop

Blind Duke posted:

Downfall mod did a good job with the new Champ. Lots of modded characters have problems with too many finicky mechanics that may be powerful when the synergies line up, but you straight up die when they don't. Not enough just solid cards on their own, or versatility to do what you need to do. A feeling that all of your card reward options are too pigenholed to pick. Autonomaton feels like the previous Champ, or early Hexaghost. Next revision will probably be pretty cool, as well as fixing some mechanics that straight up don't work.

Thank you, this is really valuable design intuition

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that card combined with a bunch of turtling/weak abilities was like the only time I've ever been able to effectively use The Bomb :v:

I think the bomb is great in act 1, I'm always happy to see it from Neow, especially for silent. It falls off in act 2 but still nice vs gremlin leader and collector.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Run of the month for me. This one was truly unique.

Pandora's Box swap from Neow gave me Grand Finale, Terror, and some card manipulation. Fun! But then it got weirder. I bottled Endless Agony as Gambling Chip fodder, since it puts two cards in your starting hand. The three shivs from Ninja Scroll had the same purpose. I gambled away all 5 of those on turn 1 in every single fight.

When Mind Bloom came up, I thought for about 30 seconds before taking Mark of the Bloom. This is my 3rd or 4th Mark win, all of which were on Silent. She just reaches a point where she is the turtle queen, and you cannot hurt her.

Also 2x Grand Finale with Terror and Pen Nib is really fun, but that should surprise no one.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yoshi Wins posted:

Run of the month for me. This one was truly unique.

Pandora's Box swap from Neow gave me Grand Finale, Terror, and some card manipulation. Fun! But then it got weirder. I bottled Endless Agony as Gambling Chip fodder, since it puts two cards in your starting hand. The three shivs from Ninja Scroll had the same purpose. I gambled away all 5 of those on turn 1 in every single fight.

When Mind Bloom came up, I thought for about 30 seconds before taking Mark of the Bloom. This is my 3rd or 4th Mark win, all of which were on Silent. She just reaches a point where she is the turtle queen, and you cannot hurt her.

Also 2x Grand Finale with Terror and Pen Nib is really fun, but that should surprise no one.

Cool run, I never got a grand finale running on all cylinders, what's the plan, just do the math and make sure you end up with no cards in the draw at the end?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Runic Pyramid helps tremendously. Well-Laid Plans too. I would not have taken the second Grand Finale without Pyramid, but with Pyramid, I was very happy to see it. Yet another reason why Pyramid is the best relic in the game (that's right, Snecko stans! It's only second best!). It opens up so many incredibly strong strategies that are otherwise very unlikely to be viable.

It's also good to have varying amounts of card draw. Escape Plan drew 1. Backflip 2. Reflex 3. Acro+ 4. That gave me a lot of flexibility. Also, if you have Pyramid, you can keep an eye on your draw pile, and then play just enough cards to exactly draw the full draw pile on your next turn. So, like, if I have 3 cards in my draw pile, I would finish that turn with 7 cards in hand.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That is some impressive decision making. Great job!

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

eonblue174 posted:

Thank you, this is really valuable design intuition

To be clear I'm ~ascension 15 with the vanilla characters so this is less valuable understanding insight and more amateur scrub feel insight. Like with the vanilla characters and transitioning from 'how am I going to survive exhausting all my skills' as ironclad to using Corruption to its full potential. Very much not the kind of guy who will spot the broken combinations and will undervalue stuff that isn't upfront obviously good.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
What's the best class to go for the Common sense achievement?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ironclad, 2 Shrug it off+, 2 Body Slam+ and a Pommel Strike was a strategy I saw in the thread that will get you that and the 5 card achievement.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I found common sense to be easiest centered around perfected strike. Strike cards are common and at A1 with a decent seed it can be pretty consistent. Grab lots of shrug and true grit, anger and headbutt if possible.

Other things to look out for - jax, apparition, and ritual dagger are all common

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
This cracked me up (spoilers for the Downfall mod)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

OctaviusBeaver posted:

fixed this for you. that card turns a single catalyst+ into a win condition. every time i take it i find something new and stupid to do with it

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
This was a fun daily. I took nightmare too early, hoping to set it up with catalyst+. It finally worked on Awakened One.

https://imgur.com/a/f2whYfL

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Blind Duke posted:

Downfall mod did a good job with the new Champ. Lots of modded characters have problems with too many finicky mechanics that may be powerful when the synergies line up, but you straight up die when they don't. Not enough just solid cards on their own, or versatility to do what you need to do. A feeling that all of your card reward options are too pigenholed to pick. Autonomaton feels like the previous Champ, or early Hexaghost. Next revision will probably be pretty cool, as well as fixing some mechanics that straight up don't work.

New Champ and Hexaghost are really aces.

I'm not sure what to feel about Slime Boss, it's certainly more varied now than when it was just endless Tackles and slime spam, but it feels somehow less interesting to play? Even though I'm thinking more about what cards to play and there's a greater variety of slimes? I can't really put my finger on it.

Guardian, especially early on, feels really gimped to me until after drafting like a dozen times for my deck. Twin Slam and Curl Up are atrocious starting cards and Bronze Gear barely does anything. It feels almost like playing the Silent where you're just drafting garbage until it all suddenly synergizes halfway through Act 2.

Agreed that Automaton feels like early Hexaghost. Just an absolute mess of mechanics and if you can manage to survive long enough you're just kind of automatically playing whatever and seeing effects explode on your screen.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm just going to stop playing Silent until Switch gets the patch. It's just not fun hoping you get a poison build because nothing else works without very specific pieces. :smith:

Edit: And as I post this, the Daily is a draft starting deck for Silent lol. Would people want to post their runs? I'm curious to see what builds I'm just not seeing with Silent here.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 24, 2021

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I was playing Guardian in Downfall whose gimmick is discounting all his cards to 0 and the act 1 boss was silent who apparently deals loads of extra damage to you when you play zero cost cards. Time eater shows up early in downfall I guess.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Actually yeah Downfall bosses

Silent is loving terrifying holy poo poo. Deck of hefty block generation for a boss, shivs and a shuriken. Better hope you have some hefty damage output over ~4 turns because middling damage will just be absorbed as she slowly ramps up. This one has been swatting down a bunch of my runs.

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Lammasu posted:

What's the best class to go for the Common sense achievement?

Probably Ironclad, but as someone who worked on getting the rest of the achievements in the game, I did this one with a defect claw deck in the end.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Something has really clicked for me with this game, I'm sure due to you all helping last week. Thanks. I'm suddenly winning the vast majority of my Ascension 1 runs now so I guess it's time to start moving up (though I'm still having fun trying wacky builds).

I had my first two tries as Watcher last night. First one died to Gremlin Nob while having absolutely no idea what I was doing. The second game... I won? Granted the game took it easy on me by dropping a Dead Branch and Sneko but seeing as I'll take it. I don't even think I've seen all her regular cards yet, let alone the rest of her unlocks. This game is too drat fun.

edit: even got to beat the Collector twice because the game crashed immediately upon its death :p

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 24, 2021

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Lesson Learned is such a fun card.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
It is, but I got it the floor before a store with Apotheosis so it wasn't quite as effective (but early enough that it still upgraded most the deck by the end).

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I kinda love all the on kill cards (Lesson Learned, Feed, Ritual Dagger, Hand of Greed) and I wish there was a way to guaranteed start the game with one of them.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

WarpedLichen posted:

I kinda love all the on kill cards (Lesson Learned, Feed, Ritual Dagger, Hand of Greed) and I wish there was a way to guaranteed start the game with one of them.

The only problem with that is that it sort of ruins the rest of them, since in many fights you can only ever benefit from one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Is bottling a high end block card a bad idea? It seems good in hallways where turn 1 damage is a serious issue, but there seem like a lot of boss fights where doing it guarantees you'll draw a high end block card on a boss setup/power turn.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is bottling a high end block card a bad idea? It seems good in hallways where turn 1 damage is a serious issue, but there seem like a lot of boss fights where doing it guarantees you'll draw a high end block card on a boss setup/power turn.

I think in general bottling a card that just blocks (leap or flame barrier for example) isn't ideal. There are a lot of fights where high turn 1 block isn't what you want (replomancer, giant head, awakened, gremlin boss, nob, etc.) I would rather bottle a good draw card or a setup card (offering, battle trance, etc).

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is bottling a high end block card a bad idea?

I'm with WarpedLichen that I'd rarely rarely bottle one instead of card draw or something like Crippling Cloud or Shockwave, but they're great with Runic Pyramid and probably better than skipping the relic unless your deck is very unconcerned about the damage that it takes in hallway fights.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

how bout we just turn all the bosses into time eater

e: actually playing with this it is significantly less of a deal and instead mostly punishes 0-cost generation engines. never mind i guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 24, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like this run was definitely winnable but I messed up somewhere and ended up taking too much damage from Awakened One, anybody got any ideas?

Edit: Also, was Rupture+ always 2 strength per health lost? Could've sworn it was an energy discount at some point.

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 24, 2021

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Rupture+ was buffed recently. That's the first thing I saw as a priority upgrade. You've got upgrades on iron wave, pummel, and sword boomerang. Last two are nice with akebeko/boot, but I would give them all low priority generally. I would have wanted to upgrade fiend fire, hoping to play it twice with exhume.

Your deck doesn't have much strength generation, nor a block engine or any infinite loops I can see? Also, there doesn't seem to be much to clear artifact charges and keep Donu/Deca vuln to make the most of paper phrog.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Chaotic Flame posted:

Edit: And as I post this, the Daily is a draft starting deck for Silent lol. Would people want to post their runs? I'm curious to see what builds I'm just not seeing with Silent here.

Good for the top 300s. Fun run, was able to make Grand Finale work quite a bit. Perfected all 3 bosses somehow, thank god it wasn't Time Eater at the end.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 24, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm just going to stop playing Silent until Switch gets the patch. It's just not fun hoping you get a poison build because nothing else works without very specific pieces. :smith:

I don't think you're going to learn a lot from mine, lol

I didn't have a lot of time, as I'm spending all day trying to make the best burger I've ever had. So I grabbed an early catalyst in the draft and just rolled heavily into that. Most of my decisions were just trying to get collector bonuses (I ended up with 4) while trying to make a deck that would stay consistent but also have 50+ cards for that bonus.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Here’s my mediocre daily run where I relied very heavily on Forethought and Secret Technique and and had very little damage output for most of the run:

Edit: I got the two noxious fumes kinda early on but I wasn’t really relying on them to be most of my damage output. I got the catalyst and in the store on floor 42 and upgraded it on 49, and I did admittedly use it to wipe out Time Eater. Early on, the plated armor plus orichalcum was enough to get me through most fights without any damage. Fossilized helix gave me enough time to set up that I was nearly invincible.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 24, 2021

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

TacoNight posted:

Rupture+ was buffed recently. That's the first thing I saw as a priority upgrade. You've got upgrades on iron wave, pummel, and sword boomerang. Last two are nice with akebeko/boot, but I would give them all low priority generally. I would have wanted to upgrade fiend fire, hoping to play it twice with exhume.

Your deck doesn't have much strength generation, nor a block engine or any infinite loops I can see? Also, there doesn't seem to be much to clear artifact charges and keep Donu/Deca vuln to make the most of paper phrog.

Yeah I was really looking for strength the entire run, and once I got dream catcher I was resting for the extra card most of the time. In hindsight had I known Rupture was +1 strength I probably would've upgraded that.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I'm still trying to learn the game (got it recently) so it took me a few tries but I eventually fumbled through the Daily Run by keeping my deck lean and cheesing blocks and poison. hey, it worked!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Drunk Nerds posted:

I don't think you're going to learn a lot from mine, lol

I didn't have a lot of time, as I'm spending all day trying to make the best burger I've ever had. So I grabbed an early catalyst in the draft and just rolled heavily into that. Most of my decisions were just trying to get collector bonuses (I ended up with 4) while trying to make a deck that would stay consistent but also have 50+ cards for that bonus.

1/4 or 1/5 chorizo.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
https://imgur.com/a/351jiC6

I don't know how you people can spend so much time on a daily, I'm here for a good time not a long time.

I also leaned into catalyst, killed the transient too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

1/4 or 1/5 chorizo.

I ground up some chuck steaks and put in extra beef fat to up it from 20 to 30%.

Topped it with some home smoked bacon and it was a success.

Next time I'll grind out some chorizo and try it your way.

Why do I lose to the heart every time, what cards are good on the heart? I have beaten it on a20 with watcher, a13 on silent, but I'm doing a ladder now and can't get past a7 with anyone. Just keep getting to the heart then completely smoked like these burgs.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 25, 2021