Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

big scary monsters posted:

How is it legal to give someone a warning over sick leave? What the gently caress.

Yeah that sort of poo poo is very standard. I work in management and once a year I get an angry email from HR telling me some member of my team has been too ill and needs to face some sort of formal disciplinary action.

I just ignore it and then get an email from HR a week later telling me how important it is that I look out for the mental well-being of employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Can confirm. I was put on a plan because I had too many days off sick (MH not regulated by meds at that time). The plan lasted a year and I got grilled every sick day by that boss. I'm pretty sure it went on my record because it was brought up at every 121 that year.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a lot of places use the Bradford Factor to monitor sick leave, which is 5 instances in a rolling 12 month period. Up to 5 is fine, any more gets you a snotty email from HR. Taking a single day is one instance, and a week is also one instance. You can have something like 7 consecutive days off without a doctors note so you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't take your quarterly free extra week holiday.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Sloth Life posted:

Can confirm. I was put on a plan because I had too many days off sick (MH not regulated by meds at that time). The plan lasted a year and I got grilled every sick day by that boss. I'm pretty sure it went on my record because it was brought up at every 121 that year.

Man, that sucks and I'm sorry that happened to you, nobody needs that extra stress.

Which idiot in the government recently said they didn't understand why people went into work sick?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

kecske posted:

a lot of places use the Bradford Factor to monitor sick leave, which is 5 instances in a rolling 12 month period. Up to 5 is fine, any more gets you a snotty email from HR. Taking a single day is one instance, and a week is also one instance. You can have something like 7 consecutive days off without a doctors note so you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't take your quarterly free extra week holiday.

Yeah I always tell my guys to take an extra day once they feel better, because if they come in and then feel ill again it's going to mess up their Bradford score (and I don't want to deal with HR)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Oh hey I got pinged for that last year too

My boss essentially said "I think this is bullshit because you have been dealing with a lot but HR have asked me to "have the talk"."

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you go over the limit the next step is that they're supposed to sit down with you and ask if there's something in your work environment that's causing you to go off sick and amend that if so. In practice of course its usually just a stick to beat you with

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i really am torn up about this brexit issue

is it brexitfreude or schengenfreude

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Why the hell is it still called human resources, it's chilling. Personnel is right there.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

mrpwase posted:

Why the hell is it still called human resources, it's chilling. Personnel is right there.

Basically everything is brought under the commodified 'resource' framework. My field of work is 'Cultural Resource Management'. Enviro workis often managed under a 'services' framework. As in functional ecosystems are valuable because they offer a range of services.

It really is truly hideous, but it's often the only language corporate automatons understand.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CyberPingu posted:

Oh hey I got pinged for that last year too

My boss essentially said "I think this is bullshit because you have been dealing with a lot but HR have asked me to "have the talk"."

I actually got sent to Atos for a review once after a series of crash hypos at work brought me up to eight absences in one year. My boss said pretty much what yours did - he knew the hypos weren't bullshit, he'd seen them and they scared him shitless. The woman at Atos was, needless to say, a petty Miss Hitler who threatened me with the loss of my job after she asked me where a bout of diarrhoea had come from and I gave the obvious answer.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

This does raise the question of how much wealth in the UK is heritable, though.

In terms of wealth that makes people Tory in quantities enough to tip electoral scales, most of it, at least while keeping the house price bubble inflated is the number one objective of the entire ruling class.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

i really am torn up about this brexit issue

is it brexitfreude or schengenfreude

Since I suggested Brexitfreude ("actually "Brexenfreude") I can confirm that Schengenfreude is much, much superior.

mrpwase posted:

Agreed its incredibly dystopian. My company calls it P&O now, which is supposedly People&Organisation but just makes me think I'm getting emails from the ferry company. And since I'm on land maritime law does not apply :argh:

Either way, they're the cunts that are paid to cover the company's arse and gently caress you over

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mrpwase posted:

Our is called "People Operations"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

Maybe it's an entirely standard thing and I just never really noticed it in my employment contracts, but that all seems completely deranged. Just choosing to be ill for 9 days or fewer for my employer's convenience.

At my company managers are supposed to "have a discussion" with any member of staff who has more than 5 consecutive days off sick or more than 10 days cumulatively in a year. Now the rules are written in a way that on the surface look very nice and fluffy - lots of mentions of resources from the health insurance to counselling services that you can refer the staff member to and examples of how you as a manager can help them, but it's all written loosely enough that if you're a bastard you can definitely use it to gently caress with anyone who happens to catch two colds in 12 months.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mrpwase posted:

I know a company where it's called the People Directorate because presumably Human Resources wasn't Stasi-like enough for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there some sort of cordyceps fungal variant that creates an endless supply of people who insist in making stupid loving names for things in businesses?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Since I suggested Brexitfreude ("actually "Brexenfreude") I can confirm that Schengenfreude is much, much superior.

But we were never in Schengen.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

But we were never in Schengen.

Neither was Ireland (thanks to the UK), but nevertheless we experience Schengenfreude

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have to stop myself saying Human Resources in the same contemptuous Northern accent as Stan from dinnerladies.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Is there some sort of cordyceps fungal variant that creates an endless supply of people who insist in making stupid loving names for things in businesses?

See also every business providing ‘X solutions’ rather than, y’know, X.

When I came back to work my HR asked ‘how I could avoid similar absences in the future’. Given that I’d been off with Covid and work in a hospital, I just asked if that was a serious question and if I could have the name of their supervisor, which seemed to poo poo them right up.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Juche Couture posted:

When I came back to work my HR asked ‘how I could avoid similar absences in the future’. Given that I’d been off with Covid and work in a hospital, I just asked if that was a serious question and if I could have the name of their supervisor, which seemed to poo poo them right up.

This is the way

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

My company is pretty good with sick leave.

They generally only have "the talk" with the staff that are off pretty regularly with generic Sickness and Diarrhoea every other week.

Anyone else pretty much never has that conversation. We even had one guy on an insulin pump who was general off sick due to diabetes complications and they never did anything to him.

Back when I worked on the 999 emergency lines, they used the Bradford score, but put the trigger value so high as to make it rarely come into effect (I think it was around 1000). They expected people to need time off for personal reasons and had therapists available at all times. They also gave 6 months time off at full pay.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
petition to rename HR to 'meat assets'

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

I got flagged on the work system for sick leave around October last year, unfortunately my boss is a completely letter-of-the-law person who doesn't really act on his own agency in any situation (other than useless job allocation + misspending dept. funds without consulting the staff). If The System says I need talking to he'll give me a talking to, regardless of the actual circumstances. Part of the reason I got flagged was for Covid self-isolation! When he asked how to avoid similar circumstances in future I just said "Are you asking me to come into work while I'm waiting on a test result next time?" which seemed to get through to him on some level at least.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/KeohaneDan/status/1353285652150947841

:chloe:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Tsietisin posted:

My company is pretty good with sick leave.

They generally only have "the talk" with the staff that are off pretty regularly with generic Sickness and Diarrhoea every other week.

Anyone else pretty much never has that conversation. We even had one guy on an insulin pump who was general off sick due to diabetes complications and they never did anything to him.

Back when I worked on the 999 emergency lines, they used the Bradford score, but put the trigger value so high as to make it rarely come into effect (I think it was around 1000). They expected people to need time off for personal reasons and had therapists available at all times. They also gave 6 months time off at full pay.

Lol you should never abuse the diarrhoea card as it is your get out reason for why you couldn't come in to work

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Revisiting Scottish independence: I'm finding myself in full Brexit consequences accelerationist mood and I really want to see Irish unification, Scottish independence and Gibraltar being effectively absorbed into the EU as a quasi-independent state just to have seen a series of Tory governments directly inspire and oversee the dissolution of the UK. I predict Nigel Farage will still be hanging about trying to promote UKIP even as it's literally just England and Wales.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Juche Couture posted:

See also every business providing ‘X solutions’ rather than, y’know, X.

I have no words...

How did you resist suggesting turning away all covid patients, doing your work from home, and ensuring proper PPE is always available.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I really wonder about people who work in HR. I can't think of any HR functions or systems that are for the benefit of employees. Every aspect is soul cancer.

Is there any way you can do that if you're not a complete psychopath?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

knox_harrington posted:

I really wonder about people who work in HR. I can't think of any HR functions or systems that are for the benefit of employees. Every aspect is soul cancer.

Is there any way you can do that if you're not a complete psychopath?

I wonder if it's a thing of "I genuinely believe I'm helping" like some politicians believe.

Like, there are good HR workers, like some police officers and landlords, but systemically in the end they are repping a corp.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if it's the "how do you do, fellow humans, I also enjoy eating human food in my human web" factor that also makes people react more cautiously/negatively towards the concept of human rights compared to calling them civil rights, universal rights, civil liberties, basic freedoms, etc.

25 years of all the papers making GBS threads on them too, like.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1353078801966583811?s=20

So, latest polling suggests SNP voters still don't understand how to vote tactically under the AMS. loving dunces.

On the regional list in 2016 the Nats got 1 MSP for every 238,000 votes. The Tories got 1 MSP for every 22,000 votes. Labour go 1 MSP for every 21,000 votes. A vote for the Nats on the second ballot is akin to not voting unless you live in the South of Scotland region. Still has the pro-indy majority at Holyrood increasing by 1 though

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 24, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I do think the UK just has to not let Scotland have another indyref and its very easy to do so

Well get a referendum on hanging instead as a treat

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i know a woman at work who is one of those people who likes to be involved in things and she always works at the polls or the counts on election days. she said it's shocking the number of NI election (STV) ballots that turn up for counting with just a big X on them despite officials at the polls telling people how to vote and a big poster in front of everyone in the booths with the same information

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

crispix posted:

i know a woman at work who is one of those people who likes to be involved in things and she always works at the polls or the counts on election days. she said it's shocking the number of NI election (STV) ballots that turn up for counting with just a big X on them despite officials at the polls telling people how to vote and a big poster in front of everyone in the booths with the same information

What are you trying to say

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

I do think the UK just has to not let Scotland have another indyref and its very easy to do so

That certainly seems to be the plan with NI, just doing a "la la la cant hear you" when the Irish government asks politely about a border poll

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

So long as it counts as a valid vote though then that's saying 'This party or I don't care who'. Not taking the time to rank a list of 5 or so when you don't really care at all isn't really a problem.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

What are you trying to say

Pretty clear what he's saying: People are voting in Northern Irish Single Transferable Vote elections & just sticking an X in one box like it was First Past The Post, despite it being well laid out how it's meant to work (you put a number of preference on all the candidates, with 1 for your top choice then 2, 3, 4, 5, etc). Far too many people don't know what they are voting in.

namesake posted:

So long as it counts as a valid vote though then that's saying 'This party or I don't care who'. Not taking the time to rank a list of 5 or so when you don't really care at all isn't really a problem.

Yes, it's a valid vote but it's also poorly understanding the electoral system. If you're the rare Irish Nationalist in Belfast East & vote Sinn Fein X you've wasted your vote. But if use your vote as intended then it'll in the end count against a 3rd DUP MLA, or a PUP MLA, whatever.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Communist Thoughts posted:

Oh yeah, the only way IndyRef 2 is happening is if the SNP just declare one a la Barcelona - at which point ScotsLab and ScotsCon just say it's not legitimate and publicly tell supporters not to take part so that if it comes out in favour Westminster can say that it's not a legitimate expression of the people's will. I don't think we're going to see a referendum in the UK on any topic that actually matters to the government for another generation or two at least.