Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Wonder_Bread posted:

Extremely interested... somehow missed it last time. Can't find the original post about it -- are these race-cut jerseys or a more relaxed fit?

very race cut, especially the bibs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

All City released the Cosmic Stallion in titanium

It’s kinda sexy

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
It's less sexy at $3200.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

bicievino posted:

Lol ordered a 3XL since that's what i have in my bearpope kit, guess i'll use that as motivation to bike more

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

bicievino posted:

This is very true. I sized up and would size up double if I bought the kit again.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 23, 2021

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's less sexy at $3200.

I can’t decide if any Ti frame is worth it. I was planning to buy a Ti bike when I retire but i have changed my mind at least fifty times between a crazy money and simple 2x gravel bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I can’t decide if any Ti frame is worth it. I was planning to buy a Ti bike when I retire but i have changed my mind at least fifty times between a crazy money and simple 2x gravel bike.

There's some Ti welders that do direct sales. On volume and experience alone, they're probably decent build quality.
You should talk to http://www.waltlytitanium.com/ and see how much cheaper a similar frame would be.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

There's some Ti welders that do direct sales. On volume and experience alone, they're probably decent build quality.
You should talk to http://www.waltlytitanium.com/ and see how much cheaper a similar frame would be.

Thank you, I might give them a shout.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Last summer, putting a pair of GP5000 TL on was a two hour long process that took the help of at least one housemate and multiple tools, including a tyre seating one.

Just now, I put a pair of Schwalbe Pro Ones on - admittedly on a different wheelset - and it took 15 minutes all in with the only tools required being a compression pump and a syringe for the sealant. What a world.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
5KTLs are all over the map for mounting difficulty for me, the first two sets I had went on with ease, this last set I mounted was an absolute bear, all on the same wheels.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And now you know why standards and tolerances are important :/

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
In addition to the new Cervelo, made some upgrades to the old bike to make it a proper family hauler. Got fenders and a rack to continue building the bike version of a minivan.

It is wet out today and we did a little ride and a breakfast picnic in the park with the kiddo in a trailer. The fenders were a huge help to keep crud off the trailer and his face and I feel like an idiot for not doing this years ago.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
When it comes to tires it's really a crapshoot.

Some poor sap on the local fatbike group posted a pic a few mins ago with a pic of his Ground Control being compressed by wooden clamps, asking how to get them off his Mulefut rims.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Just now, I put a pair of Schwalbe Pro Ones on - admittedly on a different wheelset - and it took 15 minutes all in with the only tools required being a compression pump and a syringe for the sealant. What a world.

That's been my consistent experience with Schwalbe Pro Ones, and they're all I use now.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

Some poor sap on the local fatbike group posted a pic a few mins ago with a pic of his Ground Control being compressed by wooden clamps, asking how to get them off his Mulefut rims.

I tried to get Minions off my Bontrager Line carbon rims, and the bead would not get off the built-in ramp in the center channel. I distorted the sidewall pushing into it so hard. And yeah, tried with wood clamps, too. That might have worked if there were a fitting at the end specifically shaped to press right along the bead.

Anyways, the distortion wrote off the tire, so I had the sickening experience of cutting all the way along the sidewall with scissors and then razoring the kevlar bead.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

e.pilot posted:

Hey it’s the new year, time to do a second run of Trashkits, orders will close out at midnight Z on Feb 5th.
https://forms.gle/3aK1aZoH4CvA9QLu6

Awesomeness, I'm in!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I had the sickening experience of cutting all the way along the sidewall with scissors and then razoring the kevlar bead.

Idk if I posted this already but when we attempted to custom build some fat bikes for a lower price point for the 2019 winter after Giant screwed us we ended up needing 2 people and a screwdriver to pry the wire bead tires we were going to sell off of the Mulefut rims on those bikes. That was a lovely discovery but at least we only ruined 3 out of the 6 tires we needed to take off and none of the bikes had left the shop before we made that horrible discovery. Had to cut the bead on one of them with wire cutters.

Mulefuts and cheap Kenda fat bike tires do not mix.

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

e.pilot posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Hey it’s the new year, time to do a second run of Trashkits, orders will close out at midnight Z on Feb 5th.

https://forms.gle/3aK1aZoH4CvA9QLu6

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

Absolutely in for a jersey. Can't miss it again!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

For the trashkit sizing - I'm 6'1" 180lbs and normally a medium in bibs from like PI/Voler/LG. I'm a small in most club fit jerseys and medium/large in race cut stuff depending on how racy.

Suggestions on what size to get for trashkit jersey and bibs?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

amenenema posted:

For the trashkit sizing - I'm 6'1" 180lbs and normally a medium in bibs from like PI/Voler/LG. I'm a small in most club fit jerseys and medium/large in race cut stuff depending on how racy.

Go large or xlarge in the bibs unless you have a hank hill rear end.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

amenenema posted:

Large or XL, leaning towards XL unless you want a really snug fit

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Large or XL, leaning towards XL unless you want a really snug fit

Dope XL for both it is, thanks!

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

amenenema posted:

I'm 5'9" 180lbs and I almost ripped the large bibs putting them on, and they are actually painfully tight. Haven't ever even ridden with em.

I'm normally a medium jersey, large bib. Medium trash jersey was fine for me, if a bit oddly proportioned.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spent an hour on the rollers, the iPad on the art frame was the pro tip.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the best tire plug option for tubeless riding? dynaplug?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the best tire plug option for tubeless riding? dynaplug?

I spent half an hour on Christmas day trying to plug a tire with those loving problemsolver bacon strips in the rain.
Eventually gave up, threw a tube in and went home.
Once home it immediately sealed when I jammed a dynaplug in.

Note: they have a plastic-bodied one that's only $25 instead of the $50+ for the pretty anodized ones.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I had a particularly nasty puncture that a dynaplug couldn't handle (bacon strips wouldn't have stood a chance). But the guy that gave me the plug also had duct tape wrapped around his pump. A couple loops around the tire/wheel and that was enough to slow the leak and let it seal up. By the time the tape wore off everything was good to go again.

No pictures of the duct tape setup Basically he ripped a really long strip in half lengthwise and wrapped it around the pump. Then you can pull off what you need and stores really well. Really smart idea and it kept me rolling that day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is anyone making aftermarket flattop AXS chains yet? I need a gold chain in my life.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Just got new wheels and then rode home in the snow, bikes rule, news at 11.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I feel seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPEb-Axb5A

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Friends, need some opinions.

I picked up an Aeroad back on the 9th. Due to the weather here I’ve only taken it out 3 times.

I saw a few posts about seatpost damage occurring on the bike, and I have what looks to be the same situation developing, albeit at a much less extreme amount due to the limited ride time. The issue appears to be related to how the seatpost mounts. The bottom section of the post is compressed by turning a bolt on the rear of the frame.
https://www.feedthehabit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/aeroadSeatpost.png

However, there is a very small gap between the back of the upper seatpost section and the seat tube. What appears to be happening is that with seatposts used in a higher position, the clamping is done on a lower section of the seatpost, allowing for more movement fore and aft, causing the rubbing and friction which leads to the carbon damage. This can be accelerated if it gets wet and grime gets into the gap.

Interestingly, Canyon’s instructions call only for greasing inside the seat tube but their own video shows assembly paste being used as well. Canyon’s email team says to use assembly paste on the lower part. I’m not sure how that would make a difference on the upper part wearing, but the lack of consistency is a little alarming.

Here’s what I’ve got going on so far. The circular rub part is pretty much dead on with the seatpost height I run, suggesting to me that the flex is most prominent right at the top of the seat tube. I cleaned off all the grease for this pic.

Here are more advanced examples:

I’m weighing up returning it because the email support hasn’t been great. So far they’ve told me just to use assembly paste on the bottom section of the seatpost and everything will be fine.
At the same time I’m sure they’d have to do something to remediate this if it’s this prevalent, I like the bike, and finding a replacement this year is going to be difficult.

Opinions?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Friends, need some opinions.

I picked up an Aeroad back on the 9th. Due to the weather here I’ve only taken it out 3 times.

I saw a few posts about seatpost damage occurring on the bike, and I have what looks to be the same situation developing, albeit at a much less extreme amount due to the limited ride time. The issue appears to be related to how the seatpost mounts. The bottom section of the post is compressed by turning a bolt on the rear of the frame.
https://www.feedthehabit.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/aeroadSeatpost.png

However, there is a very small gap between the back of the upper seatpost section and the seat tube. What appears to be happening is that with seatposts used in a higher position, the clamping is done on a lower section of the seatpost, allowing for more movement fore and aft, causing the rubbing and friction which leads to the carbon damage. This can be accelerated if it gets wet and grime gets into the gap.

Interestingly, Canyon’s instructions call only for greasing inside the seat tube but their own video shows assembly paste being used as well. Canyon’s email team says to use assembly paste on the lower part. I’m not sure how that would make a difference on the upper part wearing, but the lack of consistency is a little alarming.

Here’s what I’ve got going on so far. The circular rub part is pretty much dead on with the seatpost height I run, suggesting to me that the flex is most prominent right at the top of the seat tube. I cleaned off all the grease for this pic.

Here are more advanced examples:

I’m weighing up returning it because the email support hasn’t been great. So far they’ve told me just to use assembly paste on the bottom section of the seatpost and everything will be fine.
At the same time I’m sure they’d have to do something to remediate this if it’s this prevalent, I like the bike, and finding a replacement this year is going to be difficult.

Opinions?

Send that poo poo back. You are only going to get increasingly unhappy with it as time goes on and it gets worse. You have lots of bikes to ride and this one was appealing because it was new and an upgrade. It won’t be new or an upgrade as it gets worse and you have to deal with it.

If you were not going to be able to ride without it the advice might be different

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Do what they say and see what happens. It may be that it ends up fine, if it fucks up then it's on them anyway because they've recognised it's a problem.

HOWEVER if it's going to be more difficult to return it later then do it now, there's no point in loving around with it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FWIW I was considering waiting for the new Aeroad to come out to see what it was like before ordering the new Tarmac, and I'm increasingly very happy I didn't.

Admittedly I haven't ridden the Tarmac yet because it got delayed for ages and the weather round here has been atrocious, but it looks cool sitting around.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That poo poo looks horrid and you need to get rid of it

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Time posted:

Send that poo poo back. You are only going to get increasingly unhappy with it as time goes on and it gets worse. You have lots of bikes to ride and this one was appealing because it was new and an upgrade. It won’t be new or an upgrade as it gets worse and you have to deal with it.

If you were not going to be able to ride without it the advice might be different

This is what I’m leaning toward. It’s doubtful I’ll have much of a chance to take it out in the next week and that’s how long I have for the 30 day return window.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

FWIW I was considering waiting for the new Aeroad to come out to see what it was like before ordering the new Tarmac, and I'm increasingly very happy I didn't.

Admittedly I haven't ridden the Tarmac yet because it got delayed for ages and the weather round here has been atrocious, but it looks cool sitting around.

It looks great sitting in my basement!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is what I’m leaning toward. It’s doubtful I’ll have much of a chance to take it out in the next week and that’s how long I have for the 30 day return window.

Yeah 100% send it back then. If nothing else you can buy it for cheap in a few weeks when it appears on the outlet :v:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i was coming home yesterday after a 2 hour ride in the cold and i was stopped at a light and did a cough and this guy on the sidewalk who was like 20 feet away snapped his head around so fast to look at me that i thought it was gonna fly off

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i was coming home yesterday after a 2 hour ride in the cold and i was stopped at a light and did a cough and this guy on the sidewalk who was like 20 feet away snapped his head around so fast to look at me that i thought it was gonna fly off

What were you riding, because you better have made it worth his while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

numberoneposter posted:

he must’ve read that paper floating around saying that cyclists in each other’s slipstreams in a perfect vacuum need to stay 20m apart and misunderstood it to mean it applies real life and also to pedestrians