Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Gynovore posted:

However, the voice acting for the minor characters made you gouge your eardrums out with a rusty nail.
It seems to be a running theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4NThslOItA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Holy poo poo. I skipped Redguard and Battlespire. Doesn’t look like I missed much.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is Ultima IX a complete game, or is it a hot broken 3D and unfinished mess like Might Magic IX?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

chaosapiant posted:

Is Ultima IX a complete game, or is it a hot broken 3D and unfinished mess like Might Magic IX?

When it launched, it crashed every eight seconds and there were potential showstopper bugs, but it could theoretically be finished. The patched version had no fatal bugs and only crashed now and then.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

chaosapiant posted:

BTW, if you're asking whether you should play it today, I would say "only if you're actively looking to kill time." Most bugs are fixed and it will run like butter on today's hardware, but still it's not great. Each of the 9 dungeons consists of one environmental puzzle after another after another... some are fun but most are tedious. Combat is boring, there are 'gotcha!' areas, and balance is crap. Like, there's a huge complex magic system with eight levels and runes and reagents, but the best spell in the game is a cantrip that throws a small rock at a target. It costs no mana and can be cast as fast as you mash the key, making it the best single-target spell in the game.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I bought a Voodoo 3 card specifically to play Ultima IX, so that must explain why I had fewer problems with stability than most (game-ending bug notwithstanding).

Also, oh wow, the voice acting. WANN TU PARTEEEE????

WHENTHECHALICEWASLOST
SOWASTRINSIC'SHONNNAAAA
YOUMUSTPAYFORTHISLOSSSSsssss

I absolutely had more fun with the dungeons and combat than other people in this thread but I do imagine it would not hold up at all today. Even when I replayed it in 2004 for a bit I remember thinking "drat, we have come a long way with 3D world movement mechanics since 1999"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gynovore posted:

If patched Ultima 8 is worse, forget it.
U8 is flawed, U9 is just poo poo. I'd gladly play U8 unpatched, fucky jumping puzzles and all, over playing U9.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've played and finished U1-7 and the two 7 xpacs. I almost finished SI but got bored.

I remember when Scorpia reviewed U8 and I was like, noooope. And U9 needed such high end PCs to barely run at the time and was basically the Ishtar of PC games that I ignored it, as well.

And Ultima was my favorite series growing up. A shame what a dumpster fire it turned into at the end.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gynovore posted:

If patched Ultima 8 is worse, forget it.
No, that's not what i said. Your question was whether Ultima 8 is worth playing, not whether it's a worse game than 9. Those are not the same question and equating them would result in a seriously messed up set of values because I think 9 is really terrible and 8 is merely bad.

Chev fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 22, 2021

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i don't think the most important question about ultima ix has been answered yet:

What's a paladin?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I was a huge fan of Ultime games back when they were first released, so I can't even begin to describe the crushing disappointment of Ultima 8, followed by the even more crushing disappointment of Ultima 9. At least Ultima 8 was playable on release, Ultima 9 was buggy trash. I think getting rid of character portraits in Ultima 8 was one of the worst design decisions, it just made the characters feel totally disengaging. It still makes me sad how much they sucked when compared to Ultima 7 and Serpent Isle.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was sad to lose the party but U8 out of the gate didn't feel terrible. It had improved graphics but otherwise felt in line with the old games. It's problems build up over a play through.

At release I was such an Ultima nerd I tried very hard to like 9. I pre-ordered the giant shame edition. I had a Voodoo card but it still ran like butt and was very buggy even in an age of particularly buggy releases.i guess technically it wasn't just completely broken like MM 9 though.

I know the script mod is supposed to help but I think the whole game just needs to reimagined start to finish to make it any kind of Ultima finale. Like it doesn't need a remake it needs a do-over. Maybe one of the non-LB old Ultima devs will make a retirement project out of it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

CYBEReris posted:

i don't think the most important question about ultima ix has been answered yet:

What's a paladin?

A miserable pile of virtues.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
No pile, paladins only have the one (and evidently it isn't "drinking responsibly").

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
How does Wizards & Warriors stack up against, say, Wizardry 8? I really like Wiz 8 and might just replay it if W&W isn't the same quality.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

moot the hopple posted:

How does Wizards & Warriors stack up against, say, Wizardry 8? I really like Wiz 8 and might just replay it if W&W isn't the same quality.

I haven't played either in too long to say, but there is a recently completed screenshot LP of it on these forums.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

Wizardry is positively nice and charming compared to Wizards & Warriors

And yes, both games have recently completed LPs on the forum, so you can see the difference for yourself.

If you don't want to, here's the gist of it:

Wizardry 8: Hard as balls, but fun if you're into dungeon crawlers.
Wizards & Warriors: Bad and dumb

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

moot the hopple posted:

It's like a kid tried to make a Wizardry clone in dad's garage workshop.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

steinrokkan posted:

I like W&W and was chuffed when GOG brought it back. Just an opinion, of course, but I think that the previous posters are 1) Being quite hyperbolic and B) Wizardry 8 is a high bar to clear.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Wizardry 8, are there any mods considered essential for a first playthrough? Not really looking for rebalance or gameplay changes, just bugfix and look-nice-on-a-modern-display stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's at least one widescreen mod that I would recommend checking out first, although I don't have a link at hand. Note that if you use it, you have to rename or remove the video files in the game data directory, or the game will crash when you try to start a new game. At least that's an issue I ran into when trying to use the widescreen patch with the Steam version of Wiz8. It was really quite annoying to figure out what the problem was.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Ultima XI was a milestone in at least two ways; the first fully 3D RPG, and the first fully voiced RPG. Except in both cases, Lord British tripped and fell getting off the short bus.

Decent to Undermount beat it to fully 3D by about two years.

Weirdly enough, both games were completely broken upon release and only became barely functional after extensive patching.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

Saner, but far less interesting, than when a neanderthal tried to make a Wizardry clone in his bunker workshop

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

FuriousGeorge posted:

Speaking of Wizardry 8, are there any mods considered essential for a first playthrough? Not really looking for rebalance or gameplay changes, just bugfix and look-nice-on-a-modern-display stuff.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wizardry_8

You might want Wizfast in addition to the widescreen modification. All it really does is speed up the combat animations because combat with large groups of enemies really bogs down.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuriousGeorge posted:

Wiz8fast may be necessary for your sanity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

Decent to Undermount beat it to fully 3D by about two years.

Weirdly enough, both games were completely broken upon release and only became barely functional after extensive patching.

calling descent to undermountain barely functional is giving it too much credit

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

calling descent to undermountain barely functional is giving it too much credit

I've speedrun the game. I think the list of bugs I encountered while working it out was two pages long.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I remember liking Descent as a younger person, but then again I also liked Ruins of Myth Drannor. That said, I would still like to see the latter come back on GOG while I don't care much about the former. Coincidentally, RoMD is also a game that benefits greatly from a speed patch.

Fake Edit: By Descent, I mean Descent to Undermountain of course. The actual games called "Descent" were lovely.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

I remember liking Descent as a younger person, but then again I also liked Ruins of Myth Drannor. That said, I would still like to see the latter come back on GOG while I don't care much about the former. Coincidentally, RoMD is also a game that benefits greatly from a speed patch.

Fake Edit: By Descent, I mean Descent to Undermountain of course. The actual games called "Descent" were lovely.

I thought all the goldbox Forgotten Realms games were on GOG.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Skwirl posted:

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was a sort of reimagining loosely using the 3e D&D rules. It's not nearly as nostalgia-inducing as the original Pools of Radiance.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skwirl posted:

Ruins of Myth Drannor is not a gold box game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JustJeff88 posted:

Pools of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was a sort of reimagining loosely using the 3e D&D rules. It's not nearly as nostalgia-inducing as the original Pools of Radiance.

That's the one that deleted your hard drive if you uninstalled it without a patch?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Skwirl posted:

That's the one that deleted your hard drive if you uninstalled it without a patch?

Yes. I found a CD copy at a thrift store and I'm curious, but not curious enough to put the disk into a computer, you know? I'd buy a GOG combo pack of Ruins of Myth Drannor and Descent to Undermountain. The poo poo D&D games package.

Weird question, I was told that there's someone in here who's taken apart old RPGs and has some idea how they work, would it be possible to hear how Pool of Radiance (the original) handles creating random encounters? I've been trying to figure out how tabletop handled it, and it was suggested I ask here how Pool of Radiance did it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Isn't there a book that explicitly describes how to handle random encounters in Pool of Radiance tabletop?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Isn't there a book that explicitly describes how to handle random encounters in Pool of Radiance tabletop?

1e... is more suggestive about those rules than explicit, at least in the DMG.

Edit: At least for the bits I'm thinking of. I've been trying to figure out how to determine the range of encountered enemies, because adding new monsters is fun but it never really explains how that works. My example was, "why 6-18 kobolds" rather than, say, 2-12 or something like that. It feels like there's a pattern that I'm not seeing, Pool of Radiance being as close to the tabletop as it is might help.

catlord fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 25, 2021

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

catlord posted:

Yes. I found a CD copy at a thrift store and I'm curious, but not curious enough to put the disk into a computer, you know? I'd buy a GOG combo pack of Ruins of Myth Drannor and Descent to Undermountain. The poo poo D&D games package.

I would buy that. Ruins is one of those games that I admit is profoundly mediocre, but I still like. Undermountain is just bad. Ironically and somewhat unhappily, I know where to find a ready-to-work-on-modern-systems abandonware copy of Undermountain, but not Ruins. Bleh.

Just to let you know, one can install Ruins on a non-system drive (in other words, not C:) and it's no risk. The reason I haven't played it in ages is because the install process is so tedious. I have the discs, but then I have to put in at least one or two patches, then add a speed patch blah blah blah. Digital gaming has very much ruined me in that regard.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

Weird question, I was told that there's someone in here who's taken apart old RPGs and has some idea how they work, would it be possible to hear how Pool of Radiance (the original) handles creating random encounters? I've been trying to figure out how tabletop handled it, and it was suggested I ask here how Pool of Radiance did it.

I think you want to talk to Boldor:

Boldor posted:

Pool of Radiance ludicrously-detailed guide updated to v1.40:

Additions and fixes:
  • Overhauled location numbers to mostly match those actually used by the game, and by Gold Box Companion and Gold Box Explorer. (I hadn't known about any of these before I wrote the original version.) There are still places where I don't use the internal numbering, to keep things simpler. This all makes this version incompatible with all previous versions, if going into that level of detail.
  • Split each map section into an overview section and a details section.
  • Added more game text.
  • Added coordinates to map annotations, if not ambiguous.
  • Added full section on Wilderness Lairs.
  • Added formalized list of bugs. (This is not comprehensive by any means.)
  • Added detail on how to successfully backstab.
  • Added yet another reason not to use NPCs: they make random combats larger.
  • Added strategy for using Animate Dead.
  • You can in fact fight Ogre Leaders, in the Wealthy Area or Temple of Bane. It requires a high Party Strength to have any chance of happening (at least 66) and is unlikely even then.
  • Snake Charm and Animate Dead scale to caster level, not caster hit points.
  • Dust of Disappearance will work even against enemies that see invisible, and is supposed to.
  • Magical armor never actually provides a saving throw bonus.
  • Rings of Protection rarely actually provide a saving throw bonus. The only one I know of where that actually works is the one carried by the THEURGIST (#110). (Another case where I was led astray by that working more reliably in the sequels.)
  • The Wand of Paralyzation can bypass Tyranthraxus's magic resistance.
  • Added more executable offsets: classes allowed by race, statistics by class.
  • Civilized Area: more detail on available NPCs.
  • Civilized Area: clarified that you must explicitly receive the commission for Podal Plaza to both perform and be rewarded for it.
  • Slums: the script doesn't check if you ran away before crediting you with victory against a set combat.
  • Slums: add description of bug that allows you to clear the area without fighting any set combats.
  • Sokal Keep: searching for the diary only works reliably if you were told about it by the spectral defenders.
  • Mendor's Library: more detail, including mechanics for green slime in the garden.
  • Podal Plaza: parley mechanics expanded and corrected.
  • Cadorna Textile House: you can't ever get all the random encounters without defeating the ogre.
  • Cadorna Textile House: added exploit which allows you to open the Cadorna family treasure repeatedly.
  • Wealthy Area: random encounter probability corrected.
  • Wealthy Area: added detail on how random encounters are constructed and resolved.
  • Wealthy Area: the four-orc patrol counts as encountered as long as you do anything other than fight them.
  • Nomad Camp: the Shaman's Bracers AC 2 is actually AC 4.
  • Yarash's Pyramid: now split into two separate sections, both for clarity and because that's how the game handles it internally.
  • Buccaneer Base: resting is disturbed by the next random encounter, if active.
  • Valhingen Graveyard: the two-handed sword vs. undead isn't actually a good choice here.
  • Stojanow Gate: more detail and accuracy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I would also suggest the Gold Box Companion. I think that you could get some insight from that as well even though it's mostly a party-editing tool. It's very comprehensive.

Question: Why does everyone not like Eye of the Beholder 3? I played the trilogy when I was younger and I remember liking all three games about equally. It's not going to colour my view, but people really seem to hate it. Might just be me; I quite like Thief 3.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

I think you want to talk to Boldor:

I do believe I do, thanks!

JustJeff88 posted:

I would also suggest the Gold Box Companion. I think that you could get some insight from that as well even though it's mostly a party-editing tool. It's very comprehensive.

Might help too, thanks! And for the tip on non-C: drives too. The patching is also one of the reasons I haven't bothered.

While I'm here, does anyone have tips for getting into the Gold Box games? I've had 'em for ages on disk and GOG, and I've tried to get into them a couple times, using the GBC and all, but Pool of Radiance especially caches me with its interface and controls. I know some of the later Gold Box games have mouse support that should help, but PoR doesn't as far as I can tell. Should I keep trying with Pool of Radiance or go to the Krynn games or Gateway to the Savage Frontier? Difficulty isn't really an issue, I'm willing to give them an honest go either way, but I think older controls are what hold me back from these games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

catlord posted:

1e... is more suggestive about those rules than explicit, at least in the DMG.

Edit: At least for the bits I'm thinking of. I've been trying to figure out how to determine the range of encountered enemies, because adding new monsters is fun but it never really explains how that works. My example was, "why 6-18 kobolds" rather than, say, 2-12 or something like that. It feels like there's a pattern that I'm not seeing, Pool of Radiance being as close to the tabletop as it is might help.

Did you compare the listed groups to the various Monster Manual entries? PoR is 1e I think, so it should be using the numbers in the MMs or Fiend Folios with adjustments per the DMG/possibly the DM’s Sourcebook of the Realms.

e: okay, yeah, I can see how this would be confusing. It's trying to do a couple weird things.

The Forest chart has a bunch of monsters on it, and we need to find the XP for each monster to see if they're roughly equivalent (per appendix C of the DMG). This is done by taking their stats and using the rules on page 85 of the DMG or just using the given example values in Appendix E of the DMG, which is quicker and easier, so I'm doing that. We'll also need to note their number appearing.
Elves are 20 XP per the calculation and appear in groups of 2-24 (2d12).
Wild boars are 85 XP + 4/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-12 (1d12).
Ogres are 90 + 5/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 2-20 (2d10).
Stirges are 36 + 2/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 3-24 (3d8).
Hill giants are 1400 + 12/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-10 (1d10).
Phase spiders are 700 + 6/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-4 (1d4).
Snake, constrictors are 225 + 8/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-2 (1d2).
Black bears are 85 + 4/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-3 (1d3).
Jackals are 5 + 1/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 2-24 (2d12).
and Leopards are 150 + 4/hp per the appendix and appear in groups of 1-6 (1d6).

There's not really a balance here - hill giants are the most powerful monster by far, and are flatly (there's no curve to the table) available the same as the other options. But we can still get some ideas.

First off, do these monsters appear on the forest encounter lists in either the DMG or the MM2? Yes, and they do match the forest options specifically, although they're spread across a bunch of tables (stirges are from temperate sylvan forest, for example). So this table is a subset of the possible forest monsters.

Most but not all of these match their number appearing in the monster manual. Elves and stirges are slightly less, and jackals and leopards are significantly more. So these are actually the wilderness numbers, which means there's a lot more room for avoiding/escaping them.

So to add new monsters to this list, I would be looking for stuff that appears in temperate forest, using its wilderness numbers, and adjusting slightly up or down to signify the population of the creatures in the area. There's a wide variety of challenges, but it is using wilderness encounter procedures, so running away from/avoiding the scarier stuff is very possible.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 25, 2021