Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1353387222343454722?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazer
Feb 22, 2002

After all the wait, I just feel underwhelmed. That seems like a TV spot or a teaser, not a "the movie comes out in 2 months" trailer.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well holy loving poo poo I’m sold. Maybe I’ve just been waiting so long but that looks awesome.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mazer posted:

After all the wait, I just feel underwhelmed. That seems like a TV spot or a teaser, not a "the movie comes out in 2 months" trailer.

Yeah that trailer had like no build-up? And the movie itself looks... not great? They're leaning hard into the action and most of what's shown has like none of the gravity of the earlier films. I still get so mad about that dumb rear end carrier being able to not sink while both godzilla and kong are on it lmao.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odM92ap8_c0

Got a youtube.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/DinosaurDracula/status/1353391383864897537?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They brought in the guy from True Blood, which is good, but "Kong bows to no one" is maybe the worst delivered line I've ever heard in a movie trailer. So I guess they're breaking even on new additions to the human cast

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

To be fair the original King Kong vs. Godzilla is just a fun, silly time where the highlight is just seeing them go at each other. If this is the same vibe I'm still pretty into it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
That music drop when Kong punched Godzilla was awful. I love it. This is much more of a Kong movie than I thought it'd be.

Mazer
Feb 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

They brought in the guy from True Blood, which is good, but "Kong bows to no one" is maybe the worst delivered line I've ever heard in a movie trailer. So I guess they're breaking even on new additions to the human cast

I immediately thought, "Kong is a hobbit now?, i thought he was supposed to be bigger?"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that trailer had like no build-up? And the movie itself looks... not great? They're leaning hard into the action and most of what's shown has like none of the gravity of the earlier films. I still get so mad about that dumb rear end carrier being able to not sink while both godzilla and kong are on it lmao.

The trailer made it look more like a followup to Pacific Rim than King of the Monsters

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Word on the street is that it's Mechagodzilla in the first few seconds and it does sure look like it.

bondster
May 6, 2007

I'm holding out a sliver of hope here, but in the trailer when the line "Godzilla is hurting people and we don't know why", I starting hoping that this would turn out to be a possible MechaGodzilla thing since that was basically the plot of the original MechaGodzilla film. As dumb as MechaG would fit in this universe if it is the case that would be so dumb it'd wrap around to being great .

Edit: I guess being 3/4 of good trailers for movies ain't half bad for this cinematic universe.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Karloff posted:

To be fair the original King Kong vs. Godzilla is just a fun, silly time where the highlight is just seeing them go at each other. If this is the same vibe I'm still pretty into it.

It's actually a pretty intelligent comedy film.

bondster posted:

I'm holding out a sliver of hope here, but in the trailer when the line "Godzilla is hurting people and we don't know why", I starting hoping that this would turn out to be a possible MechaGodzilla thing since that was basically the plot of the original MechaGodzilla film. As dumb as MechaG would fit in this universe if it is the case that would be so dumb it'd wrap around to being great .

Edit: I guess being 3/4 of good trailers for movies ain't half bad for this cinematic universe.

look very closely at the 0:03 mark in the trailer for a surprise

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Godzilla smaller or is that just one giant rear end carrier?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

HannibalBarca posted:

Except, you know, for the racism

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Davros1 posted:

Except, you know, for the racism

ah, but it's Japanese racism, very different from American racism

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

HannibalBarca posted:

No doubt. I'm not dissing the satirical elements, but it is still very fun and very silly, and that satire is intertwined with the bravado of it at all.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Gripweed posted:

The trailer made it look more like a followup to Pacific Rim than King of the Monsters

I'm ok with this! The movie writes itself. Something is provoking godzilla, good guys bring in Kong to fight, the real threat is revealed, G & Kong team up to take down the big baddie. Throw in some inspiration from the best parts of Pacific Rim and you've got yourself a blockbuster. Please don't screw this up. It would literally take more effort to screw up that formula by shoehorning in lame dialog and human B plots, than to just do nothing and deliver big monsters fighting.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Looks awesome.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Karloff posted:

Word on the street is that it's Mechagodzilla in the first few seconds and it does sure look like it.

I've kinda been feeling like this is the inevitable answer from the very beginning, since you can't have G or K "win" and they have to team up against a bigger threat by the end.

Kong charging up a Godzilla-spine axe with Godzilla's atomic breath is the kind of stupid I'm here for.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

A giant gorilla punching an atomic lizard in the face is what I need right now and this seems to provide that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If the Godzilla that Kong is fighting in the trailers is actually Mechagodzilla then that'd be rad as heck. Would explain why the atomic breath looks different and why he seemed to have shrunk down.

Or I'm just rationalizing the "suit change" so to speak in the days of CGI.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Mazer posted:

To be fair, between the insane delay and having to compare it to the brilliant trailers for KotM, it would have been pretty amazing if they'd wowed us with this one. I'm telling myself that KotM had two great (one brilliant) trailers and the movie sucked. I didn't see anything in the trailer that was inherently worrying. Hell, it was kind of cool seeing Godzilla go heel. Kong looks suitably bad rear end.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Was APEX the group Charles Dance led or is this going to be another organization?

And some of the Kong shots are in a hollow earth jungle with mountains hanging from the ceiling. You know what gently caress it I’m in with this dumb poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 24, 2021

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
UN VETOES GODZILLA

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah, I just paused that and noticed the various references to APEX; apparently this account has been a thing for a while.

https://twitter.com/Apex_Sciences/status/1267622079039508482

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

A giant gorilla punching an atomic lizard in the face is what I need right now and this seems to provide that.

I almost wonder if they changed the movie because of Covid. Like, originally it was going to be a little more in line with the previous movies, but then Covid hit and they had to delay it and Covid didn't go away and they were like, ehh... maybe drop the subplot about the outbreak of typhoid in the refugee camps, and add another five minutes of action to the aircraft carrier fight.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo is that the Super X?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jimbot posted:

If the Godzilla that Kong is fighting in the trailers is actually Mechagodzilla then that'd be rad as heck. Would explain why the atomic breath looks different and why he seemed to have shrunk down.

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao good timing

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah that trailer had like no build-up? And the movie itself looks... not great?

KotM had a masterpiece of a trailer. And, well...

Gripweed posted:

She's an incredible actress, so I'm going to wait until the full scene before I judge her. Though I didn't think it sounded particularly bad.

I just noticed the headline on one of the clippings on the bulletin board. "Godzilla Attack Claims Lives." Like it was a traffic accident on page three of the local section.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:thunk:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I want the Mechagodzilla reveal to be a modern shot by shot remake from the original G vs MG

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's a rainy sunday. I'm gonna watch the original now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where the gently caress is my boy Anguirus

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

In Rampage.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, you can actually see the monster fight choreography because it's not all closeups in the rain! Amazing!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Removed from production after being #MeToo'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Godzilla and Kong both die. Angurius becomes new face of the franchise.