Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Baculus posted:

try channeling your way to a good post some time

*gasp* how rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

oh thats easy, i don't think of people when i post. not how i interact with a forum. its abstracted and i'll never treat it as similiar to face 2 face conversation or w/e. i don't do the chummy friend bit on the forums, never interact via pm, etc etc.

Ah, the Trump defense. Words on the internet don't matter because it's anonymous.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

samantonio posted:

I reject the framing you're using. I'm simply saying, why say something that hurts a person? Why not be bigger than that?

If someone is offended by a thing I do, I'll make an effort to not do it, especially around them.

If I'm around a christian friend and make a god joke and they tell me I am offending them, I'll stop. It literally costs me nothing to not be a dick. I'll just adjust and be better for it.

If I'm around a muslim friend and they greet me with with "as salaam alaikum" I'm not going to retort with "salami ham and bacon, my brother" because it would offend them. Again, it costs me nothing to be the bigger person and not slur against them.

I don't mind learning new ways to act that make me a more educated and accepting person.

I'm seriously guilty of still slipping the word "retard" into my dialog because I have a long history of being a bigotted racist misogynist from my younger days when I was raised in an Ayn Randian Fox News household where we were just supposed to "get over it" or "grow a sense of humor" if someone was offended by something. I've done a lot of growing since those days but some of the worst clingers-on in my bad-speech is "retard", "retarded", and "bitch". I try to phase them out or correct them if I slip.

"Retard" didn't even enter my conscience until I gained a friend who was called retard when he was younger because he has tourettes, and he has kids with asperger's and autism. It offended him greatly to hear people call others retarded. And it dawned on me that it costs me nothing to not use it, but it costs him emotionally to hear it used.

Why not try to be better people?

what's the German word for when you read someone else's effort post and you just feel horribly embarrassed for them? TIA

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Actually that brings up something else about people who use slurs against others. And typically just of the older generation, If I ask them if they would say that stuff to someone's face who would be offended by it, they typically response with, "yes." And I seriously doubt that for the majority of them. I know there are some utterly lost individuals who would, in fact, call a black person a n**ger to their face, most of the verbal-badasses are lying and would not dream to do it. They just talk a big game when they're in comforted in the safety of their living room. It's keyboard-warrior status but IRL. They are weak and scared, and would never do it. That why they're trying to exert dominance in some way.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

what's the German word for when you read someone else's effort post and you just feel horribly embarrassed for them? TIA

fremdschämen

(reflexive, informal) secondhand embarrassment; to feel ashamed about something someone else has done; to be embarrassed because someone else has embarrassed themselves (and doesn't notice)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

Ah, the Trump defense. Words on the internet don't matter because it's anonymous.

Close, I think. Words are of lesser importance precisely because I am anonymous, a status I further facilitate through my choices. It is some form of distance.

but Trump isn't anonymous :dafuq:

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

samantonio posted:

Actually that brings up something else about people who use slurs against others. And typically just of the older generation, If I ask them if they would say that stuff to someone's face who would be offended by it, they typically response with, "yes." And I seriously doubt that for the majority of them. I know there are some utterly lost individuals who would, in fact, call a black person a n**ger to their face, most of the verbal-badasses are lying and would not dream to do it. They just talk a big game when they're in comforted in the safety of their living room. It's keyboard-warrior status but IRL. They are weak and scared, and would never do it. That why they're trying to exert dominance in some way.

how much of your pent up frustrations with people you don't like am I going to have to read about?

sorry your dad was an rear end in a top hat but if you insist on sorting that poo poo out here im gonna have to invoice you, bud.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

love to build strawmen with my armchair analysis and tear them down. owned!!!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Wait hold on words on the internet don't matter

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

whats up with every time this sorta conversation pops up it veering into this form of weird wish fufillment about imaginary posters doing or not doings something lol. no need for generalization if this is some grievance u have with somebody, just say their name or w//e

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dustcat posted:

instead of inventing concepts like "euphemism treadmill" to explain your inability to stop using ableist insults, why not try growing out of the habit
I mean, based on this:

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

yeah theres definitely a generation gap here. i'm a Late 20s Something and everybody i know was taught it was just a word you don't say
the concept "euphemism treadmill" was coined around the time the most anti-R-word posters were born. It is hardly a new concept. Of course the age of the term isn't really a defense, aside from possibly against the advances of the guy who came up with it.

samantonio posted:

I did this once as a kid, with the local equivalent of spaz, and it resulted in the guy next to me getting assaulted by someone with some developmental disorder. Never again.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

samantonio posted:

fremdschämen

Tyvm

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

how much of your pent up frustrations with people you don't like am I going to have to read about?

sorry your dad was an rear end in a top hat but if you insist on sorting that poo poo out here im gonna have to invoice you, bud.

What's your going rate?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

whats up with every time this sorta conversation pops up it veering into this form of weird wish fufillment about imaginary posters doing or not doings something lol. no need for generalization if this is some grievance u have with somebody, just say their name or w//e

I'm drawing on experiences from my life to illustrate a point.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
me eagerly training a room of severely developmentally disabled children to ameliorate the word for themselves

"use the phrase 'my retard' to signal fraternity. 'retard, please' can be used if one of your comrades says something especially retarded"

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

SchnorkIes posted:

RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE

yep.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

god forbid language evolves and we move away from using words in a certain way just because they were used that way in the past

I'm sorry that you're all so upset that people don't want you to use a slur, it's really inconceivable that people step on your freedom of speech toes like that, right?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i just like D&D positng. my blood calls for it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Aceofblue posted:

god forbid language evolves and we move away from using words in a certain way just because they were used that way in the past

I'm sorry that you're all so upset that people don't want you to use a slur, it's really inconceivable that people step on your freedom of speech toes like that, right?

I think narcissism should be a reason to be remanded to government work camps.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I'm sure there's gonna be another 15 posts on "Lol you snowflake, I can say whatever I want, just watch me; i'm always gonna be an rear end in a top hat and that's that" but god that is such a lazy response

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Aceofblue posted:

Diggin it diggin it...

Aceofblue posted:

...drat I haven't seen a face plant that hard since Owen Hart

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Aceofblue posted:

I'm sure there's gonna be another 15 posts on "Lol you snowflake, I can say whatever I want, just watch me; i'm always gonna be an rear end in a top hat and that's that" but god that is such a lazy response

It's literally the Trumper defense.

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy
not looking forward to the parody threads

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just so we're clear itt, we're talking about the rooskies right?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aceofblue posted:

That's not actually what happens at all. "Moron" "idiot" "cretin" "stupid" and "imbecile" were all medical terms that began being used offensively at one point so they were retired and replaced with the word "retarded" to prevent these words from continuing to refer to people with various intellectual impairments. After the same thing occurred with "retarded" the medical community retired that word as well, and it doesn't have that meaning anymore. It's actually you guys being harmful for continuing to insist it's offensive to the differently abled and maintain that connotation rather than let it become just another word for "stupid." Like yeah, language evolves. Except when we don't let it so it remains a cudgel to be used by middle schoolers against their disabled classmates.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
smdh just giving away you’ve been owned by trumpers in the past. just tell them you will chop their children’s head off on Twitter or w/e this took place jfc

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Dolphin posted:

That's not actually what happens at all. "Moron" "idiot" "cretin" "stupid" and "imbecile" were all medical terms that began being used offensively at one point so they were retired and replaced with the word "retarded" to prevent these words from continuing to refer to people with various intellectual impairments. After the same thing occurred with "retarded" the medical community retired that word as well, and it doesn't have that meaning anymore. It's actually you guys being harmful for continuing to insist it's offensive to the differently abled and maintain that connotation rather than let it become just another word for "stupid." Like yeah, language evolves. Except when we don't let it so it remains a cudgel to be used by middle schoolers against their disabled classmates.

yeah we still use imbecile moron and retard in medicine. literally none of these words have been retired but thank you for your contribution.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

smdh just giving away you’ve been owned by trumpers in the past. just tell them you will chop their children’s head off on Twitter or w/e this took place jfc

I'm failing to understand what you're upset with me about.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Is this conversation about calling people retarded in real life, calling people retarded on the internet, or just whether or not it is ok in a cosmic sense?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Baculus posted:

yeah we still use imbecile moron and retard in medicine. literally none of these words have been retired but thank you for your contribution.

Look not my fault your acting like a clinical idiot.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baculus posted:

Nah we don't. Maybe you do.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

Yes, it's the people asking others to not be offensive who are keeping these terms in the global lexicon... wut?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Badactura posted:

Is this conversation about calling people retarded in real life, calling people retarded on the internet, or just whether or not it is ok in a cosmic sense?

What, pray tell, is the difference between the internet and real life?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the biggest sin from trumpers I’ve ever seen is when they talk about their gun safes/cabinets. holy poo poo so much guntalk. it just goes on and on. it’s impossible to stop them. directly coup d'etat my head from my shoulders pls

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

samantonio posted:

Yes, it's the people asking others to not be offensive who are keeping these terms in the global lexicon... wut?

He was literally mocking a disabled person in that video but never once used the word "retarded" so your point is pretty bad

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

Dolphin posted:

It's actually you guys being harmful for continuing to insist it's offensive to the differently abled and maintain that connotation rather than let it become just another word for "stupid." Like yeah, language evolves. Except when we don't let it so it remains a cudgel to be used by middle schoolers against their disabled classmates.

I've got neurological impairments, lol. This isn't white knighting for a community I'm not a part of. I personally can deal when some rear end in a top hat on the internet calls me "retarded" but others can't and I choose.. to grow? To make new language pathways in my brain? I know a thing is harmful to a large number of people and so I choose to do better.

What do you really get out of clinging to a word that started to get retired from the general english lexicon back in the 2000's? I swear I never see as adamant of a defense for using the word as I do here.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

the biggest sin from trumpers I’ve ever seen is when they talk about their gun safes/cabinets. holy poo poo so much guntalk. it just goes on and on. it’s impossible to stop them. directly coup d'etat my head from my shoulders pls

WHO HURT YOU. We get it, someone spoke about a gun in your past or w//e.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

samantonio posted:

What, pray tell, is the difference between the internet and real life?

The medium of the internet, unless this is some dumb "but the internet exists in real life" thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

Look not my fault your acting like a clinical idiot.

first of all, im a moron get it right.

second of all, be careful what you say we've had several posters admit they were in the class with the developmentally challenged kids and they've not seemed to piece together the other half of that equation.