Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Dolphin posted:

not for everyone. this is ableism

i agree. no way i can remember what is specifically offensive to each specific poster. i'm way too shitbrained for that.

*activate liberal brain* perhaps there is a technological solution? posters can have a gang tag for each word you don't want to be called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Homeless Friend posted:

i still remember twoday sighing as i told that guy he was a retard when he was arguing to be able to use retard @ trump in some mod feedback thread. was back when the gbs trump thread was still in here. still makes me lol a lil bit

I called him a retard last night.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Baculus posted:

feel free to actually discuss porkchops or call me porkchop or whatever

something about developing into an adult human who has lived experiences and actual things that affect my material conditions made me stop caring about what some dumb uncle said twenty years ago

And that's a good place to be. I commend you for leveling-up. I've done the same. It's very hard to offend me.

But others aren't at that place that we're at and they still get offended when people bully and put them down. And I have an issue with that. Elevate the weak and deplatform the bullies.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
recently i was called out for being ableist for asking someone what the gently caress they did before the pandemic about food because food somehow became magically harder overnight. turns out theyre disabled and have to eat out every night and get multiple cocktails too.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Dolphin posted:

Yes it does, that's literally how propaganda works

I am fairly certain he is the most bizarre parody poster and cannot actually exist in his presented state of cognitive dissonance without going full scanners.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Homeless Friend posted:

i still remember twoday sighing as i told that guy he was a retard when he was arguing to be able to use retard @ trump in some mod feedback thread. was back when the gbs trump thread was still in here. still makes me lol a lil bit

lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

no i didn't say it to twoday, it was some rando gbs goon with a frog avatar. which is way more deserving imo.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dolphin posted:

I mean when it comes down to it, is it really the smartest people using the word retarded?

what I'm asking is

is it their word?

conflating badness with disability is the problem lol

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
i cant really imagine wanting to say this particular slur that much

wanting a more fyad style approach in general is something i can understand and think is just an ordinary bad idea for cspam at this juncture

but i cant really see being that worked up about not being able to hit this precise note of ironically 'pretending' to sound like you're owning that dickhead greg in the school cafeteria

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

this is larry pillow talk btw

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Dolphin posted:

Yes it does, that's literally how propaganda works

Let me clarify. If the definition says "a slur against people with mental disabilities, etc that was once used medically as such and such" then leave it there. That's good context.

If the definition is still "a stupid person" then gently caress that, get rid of it.

As for propaganda. If the word is used (action term) for a purpose of hurting or belittling others, then yes, propaganda. If it's just sitting in a dictionary being a term, then how is that propaganda. Unless it's purposefully an inaccurate definition. But that goes back to the action term. How it's being used.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Fun excuse to repost this classic:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

When you read that, do you thing “ha, good point that’s so true” or do you think he’s mistaken for reasons you can’t articulate because you’re too stupid or proud to realize you’re an idiot bitch who’s wrong?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

people just need to embrace words

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
You can't embrace words they're sonic vibrations

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
gbs trump thread guys... super weird crew

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Badactura posted:

You can't embrace words they're sonic vibrations

i feel words within my body. they hurt when you scream them.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Bideo James posted:

i feel words within my body. they hurt when you scream them.

drat anytime anyone screams or just me in particular?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Star Phlatulence posted:

i agree. no way i can remember what is specifically offensive to each specific poster. i'm way too shitbrained for that.

*activate liberal brain* perhaps there is a technological solution? posters can have a gang tag for each word you don't want to be called?

It's actually easier than that. If a person is offended by the word retard I just won't use it in my lexicon. If someone is offended by n**ger, I won't use it either. Same goes for any other word that people get offended by. It costs me nothing to lose those words from my verbiage. I don't have to adapt my terminology to each person. I COULD do this, and say spic n**ger to a buddy who isn't offended, but not to a blackxican friend. But it's a lot of effort to do this. It's much easier to just ditch the poo poo words that offend others and speak to other people as if they're people.

Be kind to other, don't tear them down.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

A million monkeys typing at a million typewriters for a million years will eventually type the word 'retard'

Populon
Mar 1, 2008

What's the matter,scared?

Should we stop using "smooth brain" too? It is apparently a description of a real condition and there were a few people in qcs arguing that it is the same as "retarded" or worse

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

samantonio posted:

It's actually easier than that. If a person is offended by the word retard I just won't use it in my lexicon. If someone is offended by n**ger, I won't use it either. Same goes for any other word that people get offended by. It costs me nothing to lose those words from my verbiage. I don't have to adapt my terminology to each person. I COULD do this, and say spic n**ger to a buddy who isn't offended, but not to a blackxican friend. But it's a lot of effort to do this. It's much easier to just ditch the poo poo words that offend others and speak to other people as if they're people.

it would be nice if people could just not want to use redundant words at the request of others

it would also be nice for the people who want to use those words if the clown car of drunk sailors who gangbang their mom and also dad and maybe also other or additional parents each night would keep things down at the request of others who are trying to game in the basement

but i guess we cant have nice things

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Fortaleza posted:

Fun excuse to repost this classic:

https://twitter.com/tylerthecreator/status/285670822264307712?lang=en

When you read that, do you thing “ha, good point that’s so true” or do you think he’s mistaken for reasons you can’t articulate because you’re too stupid or proud to realize you’re an idiot bitch who’s wrong?

I, personally, am in a place where I can walk away, unharmed, from a post on the internet. But not everyone is to that level yet. The same argument can be made for a physical confrontation with a bully. You could cynically laugh at the victim and say, "Nigga just walk away from him" but in that moment the victim is probably not thinking about that. They're captured in the bully's framing of the universe and they are scared and/or hurt by his actions. A wiser victim of a bully knows to just walk away. But not everyone is at that stage.

So the defense of bullies, be it IRL or on the internet, as just things that can easily be ignored is erroneous on two fronts. One, not everyone knows how to defend themselves that way yet. And two, YOU'RE DEFENDING BULLYING. Stop being ugly to people. Be better than that.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Baculus posted:

Diggin it diggin it...

...drat I haven't seen a face plant that hard since Owen Hart

haha owen hart died due to negligence

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

samantonio posted:

Stop being ugly

been sayin this

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Badactura posted:

drat anytime anyone screams or just me in particular?

every word that doesnt sound right causes me to poo poo my pants

Bored and Board make me collapse.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Populon posted:

Should we stop using "smooth brain" too? It is apparently a description of a real condition and there were a few people in qcs arguing that it is the same as "retarded" or worse

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The only way to defeat bullying is by forming a powerful union and bullying back

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

been sayin this

It's a good way to live your live when you uplift others and don't make them feel bad about themselves daily.

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

samantonio posted:

i made it very clear that i think racial stuff is a completely different category. we are talking specifically about referring to people and things that have, to put it politely, poo poo for brains. are you trolling me? i don't think it's appropriate to troll in this thread.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this thread is double plus not good. voted minus minus minus minus five

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Colonel Cancer posted:

The only way to defeat bullying is by forming a powerful union and bullying back

I've always felt the best way is through humor. As witnessed by memes against Trump.

If you figuratively de-pants the bully and everyone laughs at him, the power is taken away. But you then have to follow up with the bully on how they can grow from their experience lest you become a bully yourself.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i looked up smooth brain syndrome and there are some that have normal level int? how tf is that possible lol. aint the whole utility of the folds to increase surface area for gray matter? or does the structure still exist but just has the folds filled in? in short: wtf

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!
not many people with lissencephally survive to the age where they can be goons and although the term does mean smooth brained,it is also in latin and is a current term that is not considered derogatory in that context and the overlap with the insult is incidental.

rather than being an outdated and derogatory medical term associated with atrocities and abuses against those it referred to and is used as an insult directly because of its historical derogatory medical connotations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I follow a lot of disabled and neuro atypical people on twitter and their bigger thing is the use of the word "crazy" as a pejorative, and i do instead say "wild" or wtf or something. Theres a double effect in some words, that if they are taken as insulting at all they are that much more so taken.

The sense of “insane” is newer than “broken, cracked”.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Homeless Friend posted:

gbs trump thread guys... super weird crew

people hated fyad for a while but let gbs slide

real shame

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 200 days!

Homeless Friend posted:

i looked up smooth brain syndrome and there are some that have normal level int? how tf is that possible lol. aint the whole utility of the folds to increase surface area for gray matter? or does the structure still exist but just has the folds filled in? in short: wtf

the folding process is mostly interrupted at a specific phase of development, not permanently, as I understand it

still, the world record lifespan of a sufferer is 30

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Bideo James posted:

every word that doesnt sound right causes me to poo poo my pants

Bored and Board make me collapse.

What is I said 'car' with a bostonian accent

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

samantonio posted:

I've always felt the best way is through humor. As witnessed by memes against Trump.

If you figuratively de-pants the bully and everyone laughs at him, the power is taken away. But you then have to follow up with the bully on how they can grow from their experience lest you become a bully yourself.

But having the experience of being bullied, you'll be a better bully! And then you will have your reign until thwarted by another, the cycle continues.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
ah makes sense, just a fuckup in a long genetically guided process and nueroplasticity helps paper over some cases or somethin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

Homeless Friend posted:

sounds like a last minute hotfix by god. if born fully wrinkled they would've been way overpowered