Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

i looked up smooth brain syndrome and there are some that have normal level int? how tf is that possible lol. aint the whole utility of the folds to increase surface area for gray matter? or does the structure still exist but just has the folds filled in? in short: wtf

Think about how poo poo for brains your average rough brained person is, normal level int doesn't really mean much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Star Phlatulence posted:

i made it very clear that i think racial stuff is a completely different category. we are talking specifically about referring to people and things that have, to put it politely, poo poo for brains. are you trolling me? i don't think it's appropriate to troll in this thread.

Maybe I need to reset. Define for me the people who have poo poo for brains so I can get on your wavelength.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Boy, lot of bad 8th grade defense of slurs here.

Kind of embarrasing.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Badactura posted:

What is I said 'car' with a bostonian accent

now YOU have brain damage lmao

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the last time i was in the hospital i couldn't hear the receptionist because of her mask and she couldn't hear me so i spoke more slowly then she nodded sagely, pulled out a thick black sharpie and drew an uppercase R on my forehead. then afforded me a tiny monkey assistant who led me around by the hand. is this normal?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Dolphin posted:

the last time i was in the hospital i couldn't hear the receptionist because of her mask and she couldn't hear me so i spoke more slowly then she nodded sagely, pulled out a thick black sharpie and drew an uppercase R on my forehead. then afforded me a tiny monkey assistant who led me around by the hand. is this normal?

Yeah

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

one time i got called the R word (a slur) and i screamed about it for 20 minutes straight

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Bideo James posted:

now YOU have brain damage lmao

drat rude I'm not even from Boston

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Bideo James posted:

one time i got called the R word (a slur) and i screamed about it for 20 minutes straight

oh i get it

it's about the powerful orgasms

not gonna kinkshsme but maybe somewhere else ok

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

samantonio posted:

It's actually easier than that. If a person is offended by the word retard I just won't use it in my lexicon. If someone is offended by n**ger, I won't use it either. Same goes for any other word that people get offended by. It costs me nothing to lose those words from my verbiage. I don't have to adapt my terminology to each person. I COULD do this, and say spic n**ger to a buddy who isn't offended, but not to a blackxican friend. But it's a lot of effort to do this. It's much easier to just ditch the poo poo words that offend others and speak to other people as if they're people.

Be kind to other, don't tear them down.

why do you think you are censoring the n word and not the other problematic words? wouldn’t this indicate that you shouldn’t be dragging the n word into this?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

If people are going to get offended by a word, and not the meaning behind the world, the euphemism treadmill will never stop.

When is the stigma against having a low IQ going to go away? When are we going to embrace those of us who make decisions with negative consequences based on a lack of intelligence as equal to those who make helpful and positive decisions because they understand the way the world works? When will acting like a person who needs to be monitored or supervised to prevent their own decisions from hurting them and others become normalized?

When will intelligentist prejudice go away? When will we stand up and shout "I didn't go to medical school, but I googled some stuff and so I'm just as smart at that doctor when it comes to health!" or "The Earth is flat, I can see it with my own eyes! I refuse to be duped by some 'scientist' who thinks that because he earned a fancy degree he knows more than I do!" at the top of our lungs and reclaim that which was taken from us?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

gay_crimes posted:

why do you think you are censoring the n word and not the other problematic words? wouldn’t this indicate that you shouldn’t be dragging the n word into this?

Old habit actually.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

many words are very bad, but the one used to describe my lovely attitude and willful ignorance? that one is too far.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bideo James posted:

people just need to embrace words

don't doxx me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dolphin posted:

Did they give you the special socks?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

Platystemon posted:

i got two pairs of tan ones. dont wear the light blue ones in public if you know whats good for you.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If people are going to get offended by a word, and not the meaning behind the world, the euphemism treadmill will never stop.

you fail to see the critical step that would get you off your "euphemism treadmill"

you can be ableist or homophobic or racist without using any particular word, and that's what you should avoid doing

the fact that the r-word has joined a list of words where just using it marks you as as an rear end in a top hat is a separate issue, and some people are just destined to become racist grandpas i guess

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Bideo James posted:

i got two pairs of tan ones. dont wear the light blue ones in public if you know whats good for you.

Why not

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Platystemon posted:

lol my dad buys those socks.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
For my money, these are the best socks I've ever owned. Mirmaru

https://www.amazon.com/MIRMARU-M201...ps%2C277&sr=8-2

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

'poo poo-for-brains' is an ableist slur as I have a medical condition in which i have poo poo for brains

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Populon posted:

Should we stop using "smooth brain" too? It is apparently a description of a real condition and there were a few people in qcs arguing that it is the same as "retarded" or worse

Explain to me in your own words why retard would be offensive and smooth brain would not.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
euphemism treadmill

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
can a jet take off if its on it?

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

A Russian troll farm posted:

'poo poo-for-brains' is an ableist slur as I have a medical condition in which i have poo poo for brains

Same

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Baculus posted:

first of all, im a moron get it right.

second of all, be careful what you say we've had several posters admit they were in the class with the developmentally challenged kids and they've not seemed to piece together the other half of that equation.

Funny, so am I.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

who exactly is in charge of the R-word? and why is it so dreadful?

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Homeless Friend posted:

can a jet take off if its on it?

Ah yes, the euphemism on a treadmill theory of physics. Does the euphemism exert it's energy from the wheels or from the turbines?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Bideo James posted:

who exactly is in charge of the R-word? and why is it so dreadful?

it is said that it is the secret true name of every goon

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
The wokeness of some goons here appears to be in a state of still half-asleep. Or at least they woke on the wrong side of the bed.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

love to push wokeness onto other people for saying a word that might be bad

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

samantonio posted:

The wokeness of some goons here appears to be in a state of still half-asleep. Or at least they woke on the wrong side of the bed.

i can get mean when im tired and sleepy at times but I've never gotten up reactionary in the morning afaik

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Retarded” is a bad word.

I don’t mean that in the sense that it is naughty to say it. It’s just a low‐quality word that is never the right choice for a statement.

It’s no great loss to bury it.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Hodgepodge posted:

i can get mean when im tired and sleepy at times but I've never gotten up reactionary in the morning afaik

I sleep in the middle of womyn's lib protests so I can awake each morning ashamed of my past properly.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

coming to terms with my own brain problems, i have decided to stop saying "The R Word"

and yes, it is my fault for making you think the word when i say "The R Word"

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

“Retarded” is a bad word.

I don’t mean that in the sense that it is naughty to say it. It’s just a low‐quality word that is never the right choice for a statement.

It’s no great loss to bury it.
my trucks valve timing is all retarded and i need to get a running light to fix how retarded it is. i mean it is REALLY retarded

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

its offensive to call a person a homunculus

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Ragamuffin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's hard to believe nowadays but "cspam mod" used to mean someone who moderates cspam.