Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Lager posted:

Push back? Uh oh, what did Scar Jo do now?

Made a movie that was set to release last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
just put them on D+ you cowards

edit: well I guess that can't happpen with Morbius, but still

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lager posted:

Push back? Uh oh, what did Scar Jo do now?

Yeah, I meant release date.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It's so weird how they are dead set on making that a theater movie, it's been a whole loving year already

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

just put them on D+ you cowards

edit: well I guess that can't happpen with Morbius, but still

I mean, it could if Disney paid Sony a whole lot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

It's so weird how they are dead set on making that a theater movie, it's been a whole loving year already

Disney probably have the figures on how well Mulan and Soul did, and they are saying that some stuff is going to D+, but mostly stuff that wouldn't have done gangbusters at the box office, just modest numbers.

The other studios are likely gunshy both because no-one bit on the Bond deal MGM were shopping, and the backlash Warner got from the HBO Max thing. Plus Sony and MGM don't directly own a streaming platform that anyone would actually use.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Morbius, coming exclusively to the Playstation Network.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It worked so well for Powers! :v:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Aphrodite posted:

I would not recommend viewing it on a plasma TV.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Gaz-L posted:

Disney probably have the figures on how well Mulan and Soul did, and they are saying that some stuff is going to D+, but mostly stuff that wouldn't have done gangbusters at the box office, just modest numbers.

The other studios are likely gunshy both because no-one bit on the Bond deal MGM were shopping, and the backlash Warner got from the HBO Max thing. Plus Sony and MGM don't directly own a streaming platform that anyone would actually use.

I still think Disney will end up going the Raya route of a simultaneous theatrical/Disney+ Premier Access release with Black Widow and maybe Shang-Chi, if only to avoid another domino effect of delays across the MCU. Maybe that'll prove to be wishful thinking, we'll see, they probably won't make any decision until at least late next month.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of going straight to streaming just a reminder that if you have HBO Max and haven't watched WW84 you're running out of time as it was only going up for one month and that month ends Sunday.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Speaking of going straight to streaming just a reminder that if you have HBO Max and haven't watched WW84 you're running out of time as it was only going up for one month and that month ends Sunday.

On the other hand, you've made the right choice probably, so just continue not to watch it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

Lol seriously?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

site posted:

Lol seriously?

yup, they're doing this for all the simultaneous theatrical/HBO Max releases this year. afaik, they're only on HBO Max for 30 days, then exclusive to whatever theaters are still open for another 30 days, then on VOD after that, and not back on HBO Max until months later

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, I just started watching WW84, am about a half-hour in and good lord they've coded Cheetah as hella gay haven't they? I mean Wiig is about a U-Haul comment away from ticking all the boxes in her first scene alone.

(To clarify, this isn't a criticism in and of itself. Hell, Rucka made her queer in the comics also, but I don't have much faith in DC/WB actually engaging with that meaningfully in a worldwide movie release)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Barbara and Diana's date with the not-subtle-at-all shots of the Washington Monument is kinda great.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's more that they have used the same character archetype as a lot of gay characters in media use and people are influenced by that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just felt like someone who was extremely desperate for a friend to me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I interpreted it as just a very lonely and insecure person who saw someone she admired. But I can see how you'd interpret it as her being attracted to Diana.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
If it was Chris Pine or Pedro Pascal helping her pick up her spilled papers, and everything else was kept the same, would there even be a question?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean there still wouldn't have been anything overt and there wouldn't necessarily have been the "I want to be like Diana" thing. And you've got at least some similar flirtation with Max lord so I dunno. I can see it but I can also not see it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it was chris pine picking up papers for pedro pascal maybe

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

If it was chris pine picking up papers for pedro pascal maybe

...keep talking

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Just re-watched Man of Steel for the first time in several years. Initially and for a couple years afterward, I came away liking the movie because it showed the type of raw destruction that superpowers would have on a world, unlike in Avengers or Avengers AOU.

But having recently re-watched Avengers, including the deleted scenes, there are scenes that were shot that attempt to humanize the destruction and get the POV of someone other than the Avengers. The waitress that Cap talks to at the cafe is later saved by Cap in the movie. We get that whole sub-plot with two cops trying to save people in the midst of the destruction, one of which is played by future AOS/Agent Carter co-star Gjokaj. Whereas it is mostly glossed over in MOS. Yeah I guess the Daily Planet people get a bit of "man on the street" perspective, but it also seems they're mostly there to observe Supes and Louis.

But one scene really bothered me on this re-watch, and it is something I don't even remember being in the movie when I saw it in theaters ages ago. The scene of Supes going through the mountain range after (I think) getting his suit for the first time. It almost feels like some studio exec or producer was like "Hey, this movie is pretty dour. Put in a fun "discovering your powers" type scene, like in the first Spider-Man". But unlike Raimi's Spider-Man, it doesn't really seem like Supes is having all that much fun going through the mountain range, and by this point in the movie and in Clark's life, he's already used his powers several times. It just seems really out of place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I understand the complaint that Clark has already used his powers a ton in the movie so it undercuts things, but the flying scene is like, the only scene in MoS I actually think is good, so :shrug:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
it definitely feels out of place

it's the only scene I can remember Superman smiling in

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The flying scene feels weird because it's framed like a symbolic awakening, a heroic transformation, growing from child into adult...except that Clark doesn't actually awaken to anything or transform at all.

It's a scene of Clark putting on the costume of his new identity, of him successfully utilizing powers that he'd never been able to access before, of him becoming Superman, shedding the doubts that followed him from childhood so that he can truly fly on his own...

...except he doesn't. One scene later he's still the same fearful man-child he was earlier, grousing to Lois about how he has to do what Daddy wants, refusing to move past his fears and regrets. The flying scene -- for all its exciting visuals and literally soaring music -- might as well have not happened. It made no meaningful impact on the character.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's literally the awe and wonder of something new before cold reality and burden come crashing down on you lol.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Haha, the bit in Return of the Caped Crusaders where Batman gets conked on the head and "sees triple" with Eartha Kitt and Lee Merriwether's Catwomen appearing alongside Julie Newmar's is a nice touch

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

FilthyImp posted:

It's literally the awe and wonder of something new before cold reality and burden come crashing down on you lol.

Yeah it's the awe of feeling like I was watching a good Superman movie before being reminded that it's Man of Steel

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Return of the Caped Crusaders was fun.

The start felt a lot like a "modern best of" kind of thing of the old show maybe leaning a bit into being a parody of what people remember the show being but then it went places I didn't really expect and got into examining Batman as a character more than you'd think something like this would

You can definitely hear the age in the voices of West, Ward, and Newmar but I'm really glad they got them back for this. Looking forward to watching the Shatner as Two Face one now

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Haha, the bit in Return of the Caped Crusaders where Batman gets conked on the head and "sees triple" with Eartha Kitt and Lee Merriwether's Catwomen appearing alongside Julie Newmar's is a nice touch

Both of the Adam West animated movies they did are way better than they have any right to be. I’m so glad they got him to do them before he passed.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lunatic Sledge posted:

it definitely feels out of place

it's the only scene I can remember Superman smiling in

Uh huh

BrianWilly posted:

The flying scene feels weird because it's framed like a symbolic awakening, a heroic transformation, growing from child into adult...except that Clark doesn't actually awaken to anything or transform at all.

It's a scene of Clark putting on the costume of his new identity, of him successfully utilizing powers that he'd never been able to access before, of him becoming Superman, shedding the doubts that followed him from childhood so that he can truly fly on his own...

...except he doesn't. One scene later he's still the same fearful man-child he was earlier, grousing to Lois about how he has to do what Daddy wants, refusing to move past his fears and regrets. The flying scene -- for all its exciting visuals and literally soaring music -- might as well have not happened. It made no meaningful impact on the character.

It is a symbolic awakening. Not a transformation, but a transfiguration, a revelation of his otherworldly nature . He's not a child or a teenager, he's already an adult, and he's already a heroic person who spends his life rescuing people. However, he's spent some 20 odd years wondering about who he is and who his parents where and why they sent him away, and now he knows and understands who he is, what he is. Learning about his heritage doesn't mean he is now automatically free of doubt, or free of fears that humanity would reject him. It's just that now for the first time he can embrace his heritage, having finally understood where he's from.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
He doesn't "embrace his heritage" at all. The moment the scene ends he's right back to hiding. His conversation with Jor-El might as well have never happened; he's the same scared boy that his father made him, and literally never grows out of it. Like...that flight scene should have been the moment where he grew out of it, and it isn't; at the end of the day, it's just a hollow display to take the place of any character growth. Clark puts on the Superman costume so that he can...decide not to be Superman.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

are you trying to debate what scenes I remember

is that really what we're doing today

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
one of those isn't even Superman, it's clearly Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lunatic Sledge posted:

one of those isn't even Superman, it's clearly Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent

Two of them are from the scene in question, too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you already have that on hand or did you make it?

Not sure which would be worse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E: actually no I shouldn't entertain this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

Did you already have that on hand or did you make it?

Not sure which would be worse.

To be fair, "Superman should smile more!" is something that comes up in almost every Man of Steel discussion. That image is probably as old as the film.