Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Reality Protester posted:

all quebecois sa goons should get a Bleu Nuit gangtag

Hey, that was on channel 2 here in PEI. Saturday nights around midnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

brand is my love brand is my brain brand is my life i am brand

this is my brand there are many like it, but this one is mine

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
i unabashedly liked no name once

i was like six and they had an amazing free samples section in the food pavilion at the ex

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
not really up to date with corporate criminality so i'm just gonna assume all that sudden talk of no name is because they've been caught poisoning baby formula or selling arms to african warlords

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

No Frills has consistently always had the dirtiest floors of any grocery store I have ever been to.

Every single one. I've been in cleaner farmers markets, and they don't give a fuuuuuuuuck about the ground. But No Frills takes pleasure in its filth.

No Name and No Frills are the same thing change my mind

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure Loblaws sells No Name and Presidents Choice at all their stores, I haven't been to No Frills in a long time since none are nearby

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

not really up to date with corporate criminality so i'm just gonna assume all that sudden talk of no name is because they've been caught poisoning baby formula or selling arms to african warlords

no frills did some ad that went semi-viral

and all the left wing canadians are going "please don't, the westons are horrible people to support from an ethical perspective"

that's it, it's an irony gangtag because we're seeing no name/no frills branding popping up all over

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

RBC posted:

Those aren't made up concepts

all concepts are made up.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

splifyphus posted:

all concepts are made up.

What about the concept of concepts?

Also I was working yesterday but now I am seeing the photos of everyone at the mall...how disappointed will Roussin be with us on Monday.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

What about the concept of concepts?

it exists eternally in the Realm of Forms duh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Reality Protester posted:

I have frills though. wouldnt be proper.

yeah wake me for the blue menu gangtag

Also come on all. Dream bigger. Governor General Ron Sexsmith

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Arivia posted:

i unabashedly liked no name once

i was like six and they had an amazing free samples section in the food pavilion at the ex

same but because were were broke and their food was cheap and passable.

Isizzlehorn posted:

No Frills has consistently always had the dirtiest floors of any grocery store I have ever been to.

Every single one. I've been in cleaner farmers markets, and they don't give a fuuuuuuuuck about the ground. But No Frills takes pleasure in its filth.

This maps to the store on Bathurst and Wilson for sure

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

sanitation is a frill, they clearly say "no frills" on the sign

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Isizzlehorn posted:

they also all have bad lighting and are weirdly crowded. I cant stand going into them, i dont care how much cheaper they are, its so uncomfortable.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
sorry inner city livers, but no frills in the suburbs are consistently pretty good and their produce is on par with the loblaws near me

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I get groceries delivered now because I hated going grocery shopping before and now its 10x worse in my brain due to pandemic shitheads.

Plus the place I go to is online only (spud.ca) so if you meal plan you have like a 99% chance of getting what you wanted and it hasn't been handled by like 40 people.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Jan 24, 2021

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

sorry inner city livers, but no frills in the suburbs are consistently pretty good and their produce is on par with the loblaws near me

Yeah No Frills is the best Loblaws grocer for sure. Same stuff but way cheaper. Although maybe different locations are hit or miss, I've never noticed one that's dirty. (and I shopped at one in Hamilton for years)

xtal has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jan 24, 2021

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
As much as I want that tag, it honestly triggers some bad food experiences, lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
weirdly enough I've had more bad experiences with President's Choice food than No Name but maybe that's because with no name i mostly stick to staples, ingredients, and canned vegetables whereas with PC i've tried some products like frozen pizzas or lasagna and been sorely disappointed

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
PC definitely suffers from being a bit tryhard and failing sometimes. Their jarred sauces for non-Western cuisines usually suck (but in the exact same way that any western brands interpretation of that kind of stuff sucks), where No Name wouldn't even bother trying to do something like that.

Their mac and cheese is easily the best though (especially now that kraft dinner became total garbage somehow)

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Counter point PC has the cookies that aren't right from the bakery section.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Yeah PC stuff is all throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. Most of it sucks but some of it is good

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I lost a lot of weight by eating 4 frozen Blue Menu meals a day for like a year, it was pretty much Presidents Choice Soylent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm always happy with eg no name tomato paste and things like PC dried or canned chick peas. The frozen peas and corn are fine too. Baking powder, flour, evaporated milk. Rice. Natural peanut butter. Many PC sodas (eg diet ginger ale) are actually quite good.

I think that the quality of a no name or PC product is inversely proportional to how much salt they can get away with adding.

Though no name saltines are adequate, too.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I think that the quality of a no name or PC product is inversely proportional to how much salt they can get away with adding.
That explains why their salted caramel ice cream is more salt than ice cream.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

I'm always happy with eg no name tomato paste and things like PC dried or canned chick peas. The frozen peas and corn are fine too. Baking powder, flour, evaporated milk. Rice. Natural peanut butter. Many PC sodas (eg diet ginger ale) are actually quite good.

Though no name saltines are adequate, too.

With frozen stuff the difference is often something like PC having broccoli florets while No Name has the stems included. The quality of the vegetables themselves aren't any different.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

FormaldehydeSon posted:

Yeah PC stuff is all throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks. Most of it sucks but some of it is good

like 14 years ago they had this pizza that would tear into little bites and had a sauce to dip it in and it was really fuckin good. My buddy and I would watch movies and destroy one of those badboys.

bring back those tearable pizzas

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Fashionable Jorts posted:

like 14 years ago they had this pizza that would tear into little bites and had a sauce to dip it in and it was really fuckin good. My buddy and I would watch movies and destroy one of those badboys.

bring back those tearable pizzas

ugh yes those were so good.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Used to work for Sobeys and I have to say, Compliments is hands down the worst store brand food. Without fail it was always worse than the PC version.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Used to work for Sobeys and I have to say, Compliments is hands down the worst store brand food. Without fail it was always worse than the PC version.

they have a good jalapeno kettle chip

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Ok yes, they made decent kettle chips.

Most of their food is terrible, and they are an extremely exploitatively employer. I put in ten years total there, going from working several dollars over minimum to working at minimum wage. I've been working at a new company since September and have been promoted several times, now being in charge of my location...

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

I worked for them for two years, and yeah do they suck.

They don't even give you a staff discount, which is pretty much the least a company can do.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

I've been working at a new company since September and have been promoted several times, now being in charge of my location...

I'm glad to hear your job situation has improved!

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

gently caress Sobeys and their bullshit brown paper bags that rip every single time

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

FormaldehydeSon posted:

gently caress Sobeys and their bullshit brown paper bags that rip every single time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFgtIziShmc

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
GET THE gently caress OUT

https://twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1353751248122630151?s=20

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i saw someone on twitter arguing that no frills is a coop because the director of the company is democratically elected by the board of directors which is selected by shareholders

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
:thunk:

what do words even mean anyway?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

i saw someone on twitter arguing that no frills is a coop because the director of the company is democratically elected by the board of directors which is selected by shareholders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DariusLikewise posted:

does that mean it's a taco or a sandwich