Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Organic Lube User posted:

I have no problem with youtube per se, but I hate the algorithm and my wife makes me feel like I'm Stalin Incarnate any time I move to change the video when the kid taps on something insipid.
Like those two little russian brats that act utterly insane. I hate them so much. Blippi is fine, at least he teaches stuff.

gently caress Blippie, dude is a loving creep. Not even getting into the actually making GBS threads on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Something super off putting about him. Like he ain’t got no kids why is he at the park?

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
It's me, I'm the white person sending my children to school.

And I'm loving terrified.

I have one child who is non-verbal on the spectrum who can't be homeschooled or do virtual learning(we genuinely don't have the training for it), and I mask him up every day worrying. My older kid just completely burnt out of virtual school until he was depressed, and I basically had the choice of letting him fail or sending him to physical school(I know because the cops showed up at my house to make sure they would attend). He gets a mask too, and gets made fun of it by children of chuds who want their progeny to suffer and their grandparents to perish. This is Florida by the way, so we opened back up after summer break and never stopped.

I wish I could sleep well at night again.

edit: both are masked up in at *least* n95/kn95, but they make them take them off from time to time and it drives me insane.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Juchero posted:

I have one child who is non-verbal on the spectrum who can't be homeschooled or do virtual learning(we genuinely don't have the training for it), and I mask him up every day worrying. My older kid just completely burnt out of virtual school until he was depressed, and I basically had the choice of letting him fail or sending him to physical school(I know because the cops showed up at my house to make sure they would attend). He gets a mask too, and gets made fun of it by children of chuds who want their progeny to suffer and their grandparents to perish. This is Florida by the way, so we opened back up after summer break and never stopped.

edit: both are masked up in at *least* n95/kn95, but they make them take them off from time to time and it drives me insane.

dude that sucks so much. i'm sorry.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm fully planning to homeschool if this poo poo doesn't resolve or if a new one pops up. My heart aches for those who won't have that luxury.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Juchero posted:

Jesus christ dude I'm so sorry. Are you doing vitamin d supplements? They make a gummy for kids. Maybe you don't need that in Florida idk I live in the frozen north. Its supposed to help prevent serious viral infections.

Is any parent here keeping up with the children vaccine trials? I'm wondering how theyre progressing and what the timeline is.

I trust CSPAM for info more than I trust Google, which is horrifying in its own special way.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

sonatinas posted:

Here is the list of the books that I could find around the house. I may have omitted one or two.

A is for Activist
Counting on Community
Hug me
We are water protectors
Sulwe
If sharks disappeared
Anti racist baby
We are grateful
Fry bread
Here we are
The proudest blue
I have the right to be a child

Need some new ML books for kids lol. That market is wide open.

The Bacteria Book: The Big World of Really Tiny Microbes is also good if you want to talk about viruses with the kids

these are good suggestions. i feel like an rear end in a top hat saying this but while the message of anti racist baby is extremely cool and good, oh my GOD ibram needed to read that book out loud before sending in the final draft, the meter of the rhyme scheme is all over the loving place lol

yes these are the things i notice now after doing the bedtime routine with my 3 yr old every night of his life since he was old enough to switch from a crib to a bed

I have no problem with youtube per se, but I hate the algorithm and my wife makes me feel like I'm Stalin Incarnate any time I move to change the video when the kid taps on something insipid.
Like those two little russian brats that act utterly insane. I hate them so much. Blippi is fine, at least he teaches stuff.

jfc i hate that russian channel so much

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Harton posted:

Something super off putting about him. Like he ain’t got no kids why is he at the park?

to get million dollar checks from youtube if i had to field a guess

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Harton posted:

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Kids getting into weird youtube gets brought up a lot. I ended up just putting the YouTube app on a raspberry pi running kodi. Then I just subscribed to the channels I'm comfortable with. In the kodi UI there are no suggested videos on the sidebar or when a video finishes playing. Now the only way my kids can view videos is to chooses from subscriptions or search something up and there's no way they're gonna tediously type out "weird elsa videos". It has worked well for us for several years because the kids can access the good content without being bombarded by the algorithm (it's also a lot easier for them to decide to do something else on their own when theres not a bunch of suggestions after each video.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
yeah I strongly moderate YouTube for my kid . I can’t imagine what a 4 yr old who has free reign watching YouTube is like.

for a while my kid liked watching the videos explaining medical stuff that hospitals would show for kids being treated for that condition, children’s hospital videos essentially

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Thanks everyone, truly :3:

It's nuts, it's no joke how your brain just instantly rewires itself the moment you see the kid. I had feared I might have mourned pre-fatherhood, the ability to do anything at anytime and that sort of thing, but she is such an amazing little baby that she just instantly became my world and I'm just absolutely obsessed

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

pancake rabbit posted:

to get million dollar checks from youtube if i had to field a guess

Yeah that part's no weirder than Mr. Rogers being childless and hanging out with kids and in kids' places. And yeah he did some gross out humor back in his early days. It's dumb and bad but you know what? My kid really liked when he would excitedly say aloud all of the colors of the steps at the fun zone, and I appreciate that. He doesn't do that stuff any more and has said he regrets it, so until I hear something more about him he's fine in my book.
The asspooper can stay, but can we launch this Ryan kid into the sun?

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Thanks everyone, truly :3:

It's nuts, it's no joke how your brain just instantly rewires itself the moment you see the kid. I had feared I might have mourned pre-fatherhood, the ability to do anything at anytime and that sort of thing, but she is such an amazing little baby that she just instantly became my world and I'm just absolutely obsessed

I used to be able to enjoy all sorts of gritty horror and psychodramas but now anything with a child in peril has the potential to gently caress me up. Still not sure I can get through Raised By Wolves. That first episode was grim.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

I used to be able to enjoy all sorts of gritty horror and psychodramas but now anything with a child in peril has the potential to gently caress me up. Still not sure I can get through Raised By Wolves. That first episode was grim.

yeah anything i watch with kids in peril now i'm like nope. i've had to put down books that have stuff like that, etc.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
yeah blippi is plenty wholesome my son was super into it for like 6 months

you totally can tell that the guy who plays blippi is a freak though

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
he was reeeeeealy into the truck song guy channel.

(I kind of like them too)

https://www.youtube.com/c/twentytrucks

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Juchero posted:

good god this is the kind of poo poo I get nightmares about, I'm so sorry

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
i hate this state

on the other hand, my youngest just gleaned onto the meaning of best friend. now he is everyone's best friend. *everyone*.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

aw shucks at that thread title :3:

Baby is doing good, she got a clean bill of health from the docs and the hospital here in dc has been great. Wife was amazing, our girl wasn't making huge progress during labor at first but my wife just went Kaioken x3 or something and after a trio of pushes, the baby was locked and loaded and within minutes she was popped out and on her mother's chest (and her big rear end eyes immediately popped open and haven't stopped looking around at everything, everyone here has been amazed at how unusually active and alert for a newborn she is)

Our girl was a bit fussy at first with some gas but we found out this morning she much prefers to be at a slight incline for napping and after feeding and it has been like a silver bullet - baby is out cold and mom has been catching some much needed sleep this morning :)

We go home as soon as she has one final hearing test done but beyond that they say we are good to go and I am stoked to get her home (and for my wife to enjoy being off for nearly 7 months paid as a federal employee with leave plus sick/vacation time, we are very lucky to have it and understand the privilege)

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
congrats again, fatherhood is awesome and terrible and everything in between

please mentally prepare yourself for a few weeks from now when the baby will scream nonstop for hours on end in the afternoon or evening every single night for months. We're in the middle of that right now and I've gotten good at not letting it get to me, but I still remember 9 years ago like it was yesterday when my first kiddo went thru that faze.

Luckily at 6-8 weeks they'll start smiling at you and it's the greatest thing ever

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
just remember: you can put the baby down and leave the room if you feel your lizard brain starting to make u mad.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hahaha yeah we've already had a taste, last night was rough to say the least, like the kind of night we would be having weeks from now, so we fully know what we are in for

Once we got the hang of feeding and burping and giving her a bit of an incline, it has been much smoother but I have no misgivings about the amount of sleep I expect to have in the coming months

Wouldn't want it any other way :kimchi:

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
do you have a baby carrier yet that is designed for newborns?

if not, this one is great https://ergobaby.com/omni-mesh-pearl-grey

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

4 year old daughter woke me up

“good morning daddy, good morning”

“your an rear end in a top hat daddy”

“your an rear end in a top hat”

like poo poo DONT LET YOUR MOTHER HEAR YOU GOD DAMNIT!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We have a few different carriers that are along those lines??? Not home yet and will have to check brands/styles though

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

oh oh oh I tell this to literally every new parent but it bears repeating all the time

sleep schedule will get better, and then at 4 months there's a chance (approximately 33% from what I understand) that there will be a heavy regression back into screaming all the time no naps no sleep awful times.

it's normal, just be warned it's possible, we were not warned and a friend was like "oh poo poo I meant to warn you!!!"

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Good soup! posted:

We have a few different carriers that are along those lines??? Not home yet and will have to check brands/styles though

ok, good. The front newborn carry is your most powerful tool in being a good partner and dad. I often go for evening walks with her and the dog. And it's great bonding listening to her breathe and wimper

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

silvergoose posted:

oh oh oh I tell this to literally every new parent but it bears repeating all the time

sleep schedule will get better, and then at 4 months there's a chance (approximately 33% from what I understand) that there will be a heavy regression back into screaming all the time no naps no sleep awful times.

it's normal, just be warned it's possible, we were not warned and a friend was like "oh poo poo I meant to warn you!!!"

this. You have this impression that sleep schedule development is a linear process. Often it's one step forward followed by two steps back

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

that's true in general, yeah

the 4 month sleep regression is really something though, specifically

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, at 6 months i started sleep training and it changed the game for us but I was a stay at home dad so I put in the work during the day.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
our first daughter would literally not take a bottle, despite her mom working all day. On top of that she had colic, was labeled as early failure to thrive. We discovered she was intolerant to soy and cow's milk proteins so my wife had to eliminate both from her diet for 6 months and she would feed all night after taking maybe a ounce or two of pumped milk from a syringe throughout the day.

That little fucker never slept normally for the first 18 months

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Harton posted:

my oldest (8) wakes me up every morning at 5:30 or 6 then she makes me coffee, give it some time things get better

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Oh I love it man, it’s hilarious to me.

She calls me a trophy daddy too because I quit my job to raise her and my wife likes to make fun of me.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

oxsnard posted:

do you have a baby carrier yet that is designed for newborns?

if not, this one is great https://ergobaby.com/omni-mesh-pearl-grey

ergobaby carriers are great, the best design of the several we tried, and having a carrier is a great way for dads to bond with newborns. my wife breastfed our daughter exclusively (and heroically), I don't think that we even owned a bottle, so the front carrier was my best way to bond with her as an infant. or maybe that's normal, idk, i guess i just have assumed that feeding from a bottle would be a good bonding experience too and i didn't get to do that. in the winter if you have a baggy jacket you can zip it up over the carrier when you go on walks or hikes and get all snuggly its great.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my first kid didn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time until she was 16 months old, and most of her naps were 20 minutes long in our tiny 1 bedroom apartment :shepicide:

my second kid was sleeping soundly through the night at 2 months.

my third kid's sleep schedule was the only one that seemed to align somewhat with the baby books i'd read.

in conclusion, baby sleep schedules are a land of contrasts

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Harton posted:

lmao

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Harton posted:

oh i'm sure she knows

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

lol where do you think she got it from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

My 6-month-old has latched onto four words when she babbles. The first three she hears all the time:

Hi
Hello
[adorably butchered attempt at her own name]

The fourth word is asscat. She heard me yell it at the cat once and it stuck. I couldn't be prouder; my wife is less thrilled.