Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Delta-Wye posted:

its not tone deaf, its just the only tone they're hearing is the sound of money being printed in china.

I've heard corporate people say it's because of the faux spiritually and that the government doesn't give Star Wars what it gives other franchises.

But really all the modern movies are steeped in lore that most Chinese didn't see. Plus if your first exposure to the franchise was the prequels ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
it's because star wars isnt good lmao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gripweed posted:

If Black Panther 2 was about Black Panther falling through a time portal and landing in Manchuria in 1937 and using his Black Panther powers to annihilate Imperial Japanese soldiers for two and a half hours it would make three billion dollars in China no matter how black the Black Panther was.

I.P. Man

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

... was in Rouge One. do not ask me if this worked out in Disney's favor

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i know its a movie (ive even seen it!) but every time it's mentioned i imagine the worlds corniest super hero who busts through the screen and warns you about piracy before the movie starts.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

china is a great control for a culture that hasn't been barraged by the exact same nostalgia as us for literal decades, turns out it's just bad

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

If Black Panther 2 was about Black Panther falling through a time portal and landing in Manchuria in 1937 and using his Black Panther powers to annihilate Imperial Japanese soldiers for two and a half hours it would make three billion dollars in China no matter how black the Black Panther was.

That Sony email leak in 2014 revealed a bunch emails where the execs were shutting down an "Equalizer" sequel because supposedly the racist markets overseas wouldn't see it. I remember someone did a data dive on it and proved it bullshit, black leads do as well as expected overseas. Can't find the study Googling around though. White Hollywood's just cloaking its racism by blaming other races.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

i know its a movie (ive even seen it!) but every time it's mentioned i imagine the worlds corniest super hero who busts through the screen and warns you about piracy before the movie starts.

:same:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Grubstakers this week with Glenn Greenwald is super good. He does not do much of his usual shtick of "woe is me I personally am so oppressed" and really digs in on the post-9/11 world and how the neoliberal order is shaping things.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Gripweed posted:

Disney has tried everything to break into the Chinese market. They gave a Chinese person a 30 second cameo in Avengers 2, they removed black people, that's it that's literally the two things Disney thinks Chinese people want from movies.

They tried to promise China-specific content in one of the Iron Man movies and wound up just inserting an unironic version of

quote:

HONG KONG -- As the houselights dimmed in cinemas across mainland China at around midnight on Tuesday, audiences attending the first wave of public screenings of Iron Man 3 fell silent with apprehension as a question appeared on screen: “What does Iron Man rely on to revitalize his energy?”

After a three-second blackout, three big Chinese characters appeared onscreen: “Gu Li Duo."

The Marvel fanboys shouldn’t bother to rummage through their libraries to solve this riddle, because Gu Li Duo isn’t a a mystical power source in the original comic series -- it’s a milk drink on sale for less than $1 a carton in convenience stores across mainland China.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Lasting Damage posted:

People just really like the old man. The whole thing even got a conservative acquaintance and another libertarian friend I know say that they were disappointed Sanders lost the primary.
Not to get psychological, but this is definitely a big reason why the KHive hates him so much. Nobody likes their weird wooden idol.

Edit

Vasukhani posted:

it's because star wars isnt good lmao
The top grossing American films in China are all either 1: Marvel or 2: Fast and Furious or 3: Warcraft, so the issue definitely isn't that Chinese tastes are just too refined for poo poo like Stat Wars

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 24, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

T. Bombastus posted:

The top grossing American films in China are all either 1: Marvel or 2: Fast and Furious or 3: Warcraft, so the issue definitely isn't that Chinese tastes are just too refined for poo poo like Stat Wars

I think Transformers is big over there, and those movies are all just spectacle mixed with who-could-possibly-give-a-poo poo lore

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

T. Bombastus posted:

Not to get psychological, but this is definitely a big reason why the KHive hates him so much. Nobody likes their weird wooden idol.

Edit

honestly it is kind of interesting because Bernie's platform was supposed to be "this isnt about me as a person, this is a rally cry for us to organize for something better" and it almost seems like the hero worship kinda works against that, though I get that that's just how people work and he does seem to be a nice old man who generally believes in good things

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Stutes posted:

They tried to promise China-specific content in one of the Iron Man movies and wound up just inserting an unironic version of

whoever came up with that deserves to be loving fired

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
they should call it roundtine!

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

normal people don’t have coherent political beliefs because they don’t follow this poo poo closely at all, that’s why there were all those polls that said self identified centrists were strongly in favor of bernie, because they think centrist means ‘not like republicans or democrats’

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shipon posted:

honestly it is kind of interesting because Bernie's platform was supposed to be "this isnt about me as a person, this is a rally cry for us to organize for something better" and it almost seems like the hero worship kinda works against that, though I get that that's just how people work and he does seem to be a nice old man who generally believes in good things

its only anecdotal, but the right leaning or left-skeptic people I know that liked bernie did so because he did appear to be very consistent on his beliefs. everyone was aware of the stuff they were putting out showing him saying the exact same poo poo for like 35 years, so these people would say they think he's telling the truth when he says that he wants to make your life better. the important implication, i think, being that it went without saying that democrats were liars and just saying similar stuff to dupe voters. they of course don't apply this same reasoning to their own team, but i think its still impressive that bernie could actually cut through that fog.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

calling china racist because of the actions of an american company lol. incredible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah that's one of the reasons Bernie didn't win; he convinced everybody that he was telling the truth, but he never got Dem primary voters to realize that all the others were lying.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

crepeface posted:

calling china racist because of the actions of an american company lol. incredible.

also those are just alternate posters that also existed in english

china racist, but wait til you hear about america

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 24, 2021

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
a delusional pipe dream of mine is a chapo episode about the Japanese left/unions and just about the animation Industry there as an actual Labor

https://twitter.com/yabshu55/status/1352366987318489088?s=19

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

also crunchy roll only pays translators $80 per episode

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

a delusional pipe dream of mine is a chapo episode about the Japanese left/unions and just about the animation Industry there as an actual Labor

Shirobako, an anime about cute girls working in the anime industry, gave a surprisingly stark look at the working conditions in anime between the references and jokes.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
are sea shanties a forced meme

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They are only a meme on TikTok, if you aren’t on TikTok you missed the entire meme cycle except for idiots on Twitter trying to have hot takes about a meme cycle

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shirobako, an anime about cute girls working in the anime industry, gave a surprisingly stark look at the working conditions in anime between the references and jokes.

this but clerks the animated series

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

They are only a meme on TikTok, if you aren’t on TikTok you missed the entire meme cycle except for idiots on Twitter trying to have hot takes about a meme cycle

drat, missed my chance to unload my old decemberists records

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Many millennials at the time basically said that Zoomers only think sea shanties are cool because they didn’t have to live through that band being popular

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Many millennials at the time basically said that Zoomers only think sea shanties are cool because they didn’t have to live through that band being popular

You mean "get" to live through that band being popular. The Decemberists are good.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
yeah the same way poetry is “good”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Some poetry is good, just that none of it has been written in the last 60 years or so

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

are they the ones where they're all dressed like it's the late 19th century and they clap and stomp instead of having drums and there's a guy on a washboard

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Heath posted:

Some poetry is good, just that none of it has been written in the last 60 years or so

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is good. And "Ozymandias". And the one that got interrupted by a person from Porlock. I think that's it.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner" is good. And "Ozymandias". And the one that got interrupted by a person from Porlock. I think that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lTnnu3XLFk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I had to get my parents to buy "The Day the Laughter Died" for me, because we were in Oklahoma at the time, and the record store had age restrictions. :jerkoff:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

prefect posted:

I had to get my parents to buy "The Day the Laughter Died" for me, because we were in Oklahoma at the time, and the record store had age restrictions. :jerkoff:

should have bought the clean version at walmart lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
Rapping is poetry, and I think it's good

THS
Sep 15, 2017

posting is poetry

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

this would rock but people would hear "anime" and flip out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Rapping is poetry, and I think it's good

the only time I hear people say this is when they’re talking about hamilton