Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Uninvited came to mind but after looking it up she's not tall

I wonder if whoever designed tall lady was inspired by that Japanese urban legend that's basically just female slenderman in a sunhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FirstAidKite posted:

I wonder if whoever designed tall lady was inspired by that Japanese urban legend that's basically just female slenderman in a sunhat.

Hachishaku? Yeah, I could see that, they're both 8 feet tall ladies with big hats who eat people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've seen it suggested that it's in fact intentionally leaning on that, yes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Phew, godzilla v kong trailer dropped. They do fight you guys! No reason to think that it's a movie where they try to diplomatically solve their problems

Are there any good spooky games for Switch that aren't Resident Evil titles?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

Phew, godzilla v kong trailer dropped. They do fight you guys! No reason to think that it's a movie where they try to diplomatically solve their problems

should we bring up the evil within so you can get a few more whacks in on that horse or are you done

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

should we bring up the evil within so you can get a few more whacks in on that horse or are you done

It did have that invincible ghost that chased you through the entire game and one hit killed you.

But are there any good non-RE horror games for Switch?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Len posted:

It did have that invincible ghost that chased you through the entire game and one hit killed you.

But are there any good non-RE horror games for Switch?

Detention, Little Nightmares, Observer, Other stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Darkwood is available for Switch, as is Amnesia.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Coma is Korean Detention.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Does Omori count as a horror game? If so I'm going to make this post: play Omori. It's real good!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Len posted:

did you watch the 2014 Godzilla, because the chief complaint about that movie was in fact the lack of monsters fighting

that and Bryan Cranston getting killed off early, but I digress

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

did you watch the 2014 Godzilla, because the chief complaint about that movie was in fact the lack of monsters fighting

that and Bryan Cranston getting killed off early, but I digress

:thejoke:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

ohhh I read it as a different kind of passive aggressive irony in the fifth time I'm seeing this argument, that's on me

carry on folks I'm dumb

edit: that's not me being sarcastic I'm an actual idiot

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Blockhouse posted:

Does Omori count as a horror game? If so I'm going to make this post: play Omori. It's real good!

Sure, its as horror as any of those kinds of RPGMaker horror games like Mad Father or whatever.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

You could also call it Yume Nikki-style spookiness rather than straight horror, because it's not really like there's a sharp dividing line between the two.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The writer on Paratopic had a decent article arguing horror and terror are incorrectly used, that terror is when you’re waiting for the scary thing to happen and horror is when it’s happening. The distinction is that in a lot of “horror” stories the payoff doesn’t match the buildup, like telling a joke with no punchline: Halloween and the first Friday are effective horror because the killer is always present but not revealed until the climax while the sequels put the monster front and center. Jason doesn’t take manhattan, he just walks into frame and waves at the camera.

https://docseuss.medium.com/you-are-capable-of-writing-better-horror-stories-311ed334080f

This is all to say that Yume Nikki and Omori are horror. Arguably they’re not scary but every directorial decision is meant to elicit primal emotions in the audience. Compare that to Bendy which is just “you’re in a creepy studio and ink monsters keep attacking, here’s 5 episodes of why.”

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's basically the distinction between the terms as White Wolf has been printing it in the foreword to its RPG core books for like thirty years now. Whether they're the ones who came up with it or not, I'm not surprised to see it echoed elsewhere, because it's a very functional way to frame the difference. As I remember them putting it in one of their books, "finding a torn-off human arm in an alley is terror. Watching a 9-foot-tall werewolf tear apart a hobo is horror."

Or something to that tune, anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Terror is the fear you feel when something horrible is happening, dread is the fear that something horrible is going to happen, horror is the disruption of your understanding of the correct order of the universe.

You think somebody is about to jump you with a knife: dread.

You're being chased by somebody with a knife: terror.

The guy with the knife is dead and rotting and is shouting your secret shames that nobody could possibly know: horror.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Played through the entirety of Visage. Had a good time with it overall! The main reason for playing(spooping) was done really well for the most part. There's plenty to critique though. Some things definitely need work:

Breadcrumbing from one part to another in the house was mostly good but occasionally it would be a bit confusing where you had to go. In a similar vein if the game locks you in a certain place, it is hard to figure out sometimes if the game demands you to figure something out or if you gotta wait out a spoop.
Don't know what the point is of some of the aspects of the inventory system. The two-hand mechanic for some items just got in the way without adding anything.
Some of the items felt superfluous. I had a fuckton of bulbs lying around and I literally only used one. The entire house was properly lit and I was swimming in lighters and sanity pills. I pre-planted all the candles I found in positions that I figured could make sense later, never kept one on my person. In the end, the only things I wanted consistently on me were two lighters and two boxes of pills with two flex slots for whatever.

Dunno what order the chapters were originally made in, but I think I lucked in a decent order; Dolores, Rakan, Lucy. Rakan's is not as good as the others, but that oddly turns it into a breather that was kinda welcome? Odd how that worked out. But it remains something they could've improved quite a bit. Especially the stealth section. in Rakan's. You need more mechanics than what this game provides to make that kind of gameplay enjoyable!

Ending was utterly unsatisfying. But I can live with that. I got a good haunted house experience out of this. Definitely worth picking up if you get find a discount. It's been sold for <=20 and that's a good deal imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cardiovorax posted:

You could also call it Yume Nikki-style spookiness rather than straight horror, because it's not really like there's a sharp dividing line between the two.

It feels like it's going for that look, but with all the rpg stuff it's a lot more cohesive so I'm not sure it matches up. It definitely looks like they are going for a specific plot

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Omori is infinitely more narratively focused than Yume Nikki is, except for a segment in the back third of the game that is just straight up on some YN/.flow poo poo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/12mornings/status/1353477303725027330?s=19

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/alienmelon/status/1352830813289627649

Good article about indie horror games, although I could have done without the opening rant.

I had never heard about the "Dread X Collection" before, but it seems really interesting; very Kitty Horrorshowish.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Dread X Collection is a really cool idea and very well-executed from a presentation standpoint but unfortunately all the games in it are poo poo lol

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Nah, all of the Dread X Collections have more good games than bad, and Dread X 3 only has one game that I wouldn't call "good".

Dread X 1 has that fantastic Airdorf LCD game, so I have no idea where you're coming from.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So the recommended way to play Thief 3 is with the Sneaky Upgrade because it's a janky piece of poo poo without? Is the game scary beyond the fact it's on the same crap version of Unreal as the horror-show Invisible War?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 25, 2021

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So the recommended way to play Thief 3 is with the Sneaky Upgrade because it's a janky piece of poo poo without? Is the game scary beyond the fact it's on the same crap version of Unreal as the horror-show Invisible War?

I remember the Shalebridge Cradle or whatever it is called to be real spooky but I’ve not played it since the game first came out so don’t know if it holds up in 2021

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lifeglug posted:

I remember the Shalebridge Cradle or whatever it is called to be real spooky but I’ve not played it since the game first came out so don’t know if it holds up in 2021

It's highly scripted and the levels are tiny so no.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Played Thief 3 ten-ish years ago and I didn't think Shalebridge Cradle was all that scary, much like that hotel level in Vampire.
Game's fine though, a Thief fan would rip into its mild shortcomings, but as a casual I thought it played fine, and the atmosphere was top notch. It's the same batshit awesome universe as the first two games, but realized in more modern graphics, worth experiencing imo.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Idk the hotel level got me but it was also practically the very first of its kind and set the groundwork for haunted house indie games.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Too Shy Guy posted:

Nah, all of the Dread X Collections have more good games than bad, and Dread X 3 only has one game that I wouldn't call "good".

Dread X 1 has that fantastic Airdorf LCD game, so I have no idea where you're coming from.

Is the bad one the Wario Ware one? Because that one was the first one I tried and the first stage was so frustrating for me

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the bad one the Wario Ware one? Because that one was the first one I tried and the first stage was so frustrating for me

Warioware is good, though the difficulty is all over the place. I wasn’t real hot on the angel racing one... it’s not bad, but it’s tedious and has no horror aside from the general weirdness of the presentation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is re8 a reboot? It doesn't look like it to me but I remember that being a thing people said it was after Resident Evil VIIIage was announced even though the 8 is clearly stylized right in the title

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Len posted:

Is re8 a reboot? It doesn't look like it to me but I remember that being a thing people said it was after Resident Evil VIIIage was announced even though the 8 is clearly stylized right in the title

Nah, it's a direct sequel with the same characters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, it's pretty much a direct sequel to 7 and features Ethan Winters again as well as Mia and their abducted child.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Developers think that having a number in the title can be off-putting ("I didn't play 7 so I probably wouldn't enjoy 8") so they just give it a Word instead

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

ResidentE VIIIage

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Resident Evil 8 Age: Origins

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Sorry I actually confused it with that haunted PS1 Demo Disc collection. I will check out Dread X as repentance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Resident Eightvil

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 26, 2021