Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
IMO the whole atmosphere and exploration aspect of Frontier is pretty good, I'm not super interested in the main quest part but that's pretty standard for RPGs in general tbh. Mechanically it feels like it wants to be on the same plane as Lonesome Road, with really excessive gear power and wealth, it doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of the rest of Fallout 3/NV for random shops to have 8k caps and all sell gear significantly better than anything in the base game, but it's not bad as its own thing. So much effort went into it :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Looking for a mod that limits Fast Travel so I'm not zipping around the map all the time, I know Puce Moose has this cool one

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/46226

but I was wondering if there were any others where say you repaired a motorcycle and that allowed you to fast travel, but required regular maintenance or something.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/40878
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60868

probably one of these two would work for you.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

There’s also this mod that recreates the FO1/2 travel system by giving you random encounters and stuff on the way to your destination https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52129

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

there are many amazing types of bad in the frontiers' writing please keep posting more funny screencaps everyone

i got tired of leveling regularly and just did the quickstart thing (it can be activated anytime walking near doc mitchells house lol) and i was like level 9->12 and it gave me 200 skillpoints ftw. after choosing legion, since that seemed like the most poorly written option, i blew up the courier that delivered the note who is essential for some ungodly reason. So I stole his clothes so he ran away naked. Then the first line that was presented to me was this and I couldn't help but have a big smile lol

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Homeless Friend posted:

i got tired of leveling regularly and just did the quickstart thing (it can be activated anytime walking near doc mitchells house lol) and i was like level 9->12 and it gave me 200 skillpoints ftw. after choosing legion, since that seemed like the most poorly written option, i blew up the courier that delivered the note who is essential for some ungodly reason. So I stole his clothes so he ran away naked. Then the first line that was presented to me was this and I couldn't help but have a big smile lol

"Who are you and how did you get here?"

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqF49Zwmzs0

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Garrand posted:

"Who are you and how did you get here?"

the immediate line after is bending my mind

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Much appreciated.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lol fuuuuuuuuuuck

re: Frontier, watch out for the mission "Help Thy Merchant" it leaves you in an unplayable state. Well I guess playable if you enjoy being unable to leave a small hangar forever.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fnv/comments/l3tibl/fnv_the_frontier_slave_quest_begins_with_help_thy/

e: culprit seems to be this (it was enabled, I am very sure I didn't enable it myself)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 25, 2021

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

Poor Sergeant there just knows it is going to be one of THOSE days. However, umm, outside of speaking with Major Knight and Nash in Primm, I don't think there is any other point in New Vegas where you even refer to yourself as a Courier, but hey...

Homeless Friend posted:

the immediate line after is bending my mind

Umm, huh... Either a very weird nod to everyone's favorite verbose speaker Ulysses or there is one or more "fake" couriers running around the Mojave. Either or.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Yeah, at no point in the base game do you ever see this weird cult following growing around you (except for Ulysses but he's not well).
It's a really weird conceit they had just to justify the hero worship. Best guess is they had that in as a core part of the mod and weren't willing to kill that baby.

I think the only faction who treats you as a random guy is the Crusaders, but I can't be bothered to dive too deep as I don't know where my pre-dive gear ran off to. Seriously, I think this mod stole my All-American!

(this mod did not steal my all-american it was in a trunk at the recruitment camp, but I was being facetious)

RangerKarl fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 25, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can talk to Cass about the difference between courier and caravaneer and you can also talk to Old Ben when he mentions doing a brief stint as a courier in the past.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
A lot of mods take the line that you are a famous Courier due to your antics. New Vegas Bounties does this a lot. In the right amount it's ok, you ARE going to get famous/infamous from your actions, NCR makes that point in-game (Chief Hanlon, Colonel Hsu all mention radio reports of you being an upstanding guy).

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
they played too much Metal Gear Solid and wanted "Courier" to be like "Big Boss"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halser posted:

they played too much Metal Gear Solid and wanted "Courier" to be like "Big Boss"

Talk about making a prequel that retcons a major character for the worse.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A lot of mods take the line that you are a famous Courier due to your antics. New Vegas Bounties does this a lot. In the right amount it's ok, you ARE going to get famous/infamous from your actions, NCR makes that point in-game (Chief Hanlon, Colonel Hsu all mention radio reports of you being an upstanding guy).

It feels like instead of whatever my character is, they're perceiving me as the memetic/TVTropes Courier Six, which is just strange.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
I had to relearn how to use console to fix quests again, otherwise frontier is a good "dlc" for looters like me.

did anybody else manage to jump down (far down in the metro) and survive the radiation by pumping yourself with stims and radaways and open the door and be met with God Todd "It Just Works" Howard?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Talk about making a prequel that retcons a major character for the worse.

Phantom Pain only. I won't hear a bad word about 3 or the one where you fight a teenager driving a metal gear in her underwear.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

what's funny is if you're actually carrying the platinum chip and they're all gushing about you because Mr. New Vegas ran a story about you getting shot in the head and not dying

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Homeless Friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRtyXNd5OL8

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Does anyone have some fun crafting mods to recomend? I want to do a survival heavy run of the game.

I added Hunting Expanded which gives you more than one piece of meat per Bighorner and depending on the model more vegtables per plant. Downside - there is no new craftibg recipes for some reason for the new parts it added.

( I also did Viva New Vegas, minus some of the gameplay mods and tweaks. )

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can talk to Cass about the difference between courier and caravaneer and you can also talk to Old Ben when he mentions doing a brief stint as a courier in the past.

True, forgot about those, although funny enough with Old Ben, you flat out say you USED to be a Courier.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Also true, although, seems that the NCR part at least of The Frontier turns that into pure superhero worship levels, what with the NCR commander making insanely huge sacrifices of men/medical supplies to save you at some point alongside it seeming everyone that is NCR there just being in awe of you, from what I've seen in the thread at least.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Bring back the Chosen One’s dynamic where everyone thinks you’re just a narcissist and bullies you bc of your title

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer
Finally getting around to the frontier and ho boy, ya'll weren't kidding about the writing / modern COD single player NCR campaign. Chapter 1 is almost as on-rails as Operation Anchorage in FO3, but with an absurd amount of loot... like, way too much loot. More loot than you'll care about.

Just got to Chapter 2 and the nanosecond they gave me control of my dude back I bolted for the doors. Don't plan on going back to base anytime soon.

With that said, the world itself is extremely well built and interesting to explore. It's shocking what they were able to coax out of this garbage engine. The scripting is also top notch, everything feels incredibly alive with Vertibirds flying overhead, random artillery going off in the distance, etc. Voice acting really isn't terrible either, just everything every NPC says kinda sucks.

It's worth playing, just not the way the authors intended.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Homeless Friend posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FW7KAFZy3c

Saw this on the Fallout Reddit. Lol.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

:stonklol: Huh... Well the NCR campaign certainly umm... Ohh...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

UED Special Ops posted:

True, forgot about those, although funny enough with Old Ben, you flat out say you USED to be a Courier.

You definitely don't do a lot of Courier-ing during the game. I kinda like the mythos of the couriers in general, how they're these dudes that are neutral and off limits for almost every organization in the wasteland, cuz being able to reliably get poo poo through the danger zones without asking questions is an invaluable service.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

It's really giving me hunt down the freeman vibes. Yikes.
Nice seeing the Dead Space asteroid section and that Wolfenstein TNO scene again. (Anyone else seeing that too?)
Some impressive technical stuff for the engine. With a lot of jank of course. They'll probably patch it but there's no patching that writing.

Thanks for posting the link. At least got some entertainment out of it this way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its definitely the Wolfenstein TNO Deathshead scene, just with Frank Horrigans rather than Übersoldaten

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 26, 2021

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lurdiak posted:

You definitely don't do a lot of Courier-ing during the game. I kinda like the mythos of the couriers in general, how they're these dudes that are neutral and off limits for almost every organization in the wasteland, cuz being able to reliably get poo poo through the danger zones without asking questions is an invaluable service.

I really like how they even justified it for the Legion. They try not to crucify couriers because it's entirely possible they're secret Caesar gestapo on a case, great touch

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah get off the main quest rails as soon as possible if you want to get anything out of Frontier imo

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I think they felt committed to pushing through with the spaceship bits after featuring it so much in trailers. I hate Enclave bases so much.

Why, in a world where a mechanized division makes you near unto God, they needed to have a freaking flying air carrier I will never understand.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Its definitely the Wolfenstein TNO Deathshead scene, just with Frank Horrigans rather than Übersoldaten

For this part in my case, 1 of the characters just straight up wasn't in the scene because they were unconscious. Lucky it wasn't the guy who lets you out.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Made a discord channel for discussing NV and other Fallout games for goons, by goons.

Also so that interested goons can discuss ideas for a goon-made mod

https://discord.com/channels/803642092193841172/803642092193841175

https://discord.gg/ecjDE6qB

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 26, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

pro-loving click, lmao

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah I feel like I made the right choice messing around with Hitman 3 instead

That said, I doubt The Frontier would've tried to make me watch the same credit sequence twice because their always online servers had a little hickup, so they've got that going for them

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

lmao this mod loving sucks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZPd29NcSQ

Okay, so it turns out that last video I posted didn't show some of the more egregious stuff, believe it or not.

Just like New California, The Frontier also felt the need to draw a connection to Lonesome Road and the nuking of Hopeville.

Edit: holy poo poo that ending what the gently caress.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIkM675UI3Y
Hahahahahah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is that really a QTE sequence in a New Vegas mod