Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Canna Happy posted:

99% sure its the bios. The motherboard does support usb bios flash, so do that and I'd bet all of your issues will be solved.

Yeah thats my guess too. Bios flash time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Thanks, I'll download the newest BIOS to a stick and try flashing it tomorrow. If not I guess I have to go the route of buying test components.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

F4rt5 posted:

tomorrow

Come oooonnnnnnnnnnnn dad.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hobbesmaster posted:

AVEXIR, huh? I haven't seen anything about their DDR4 but weren't their DDR3 modules complete garbage?

Dunno - never heard of them before.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Canna Happy posted:

Come oooonnnnnnnnnnnn dad.
Haha, there are sadly reasons for why I can't just up and do it now and none of them are me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

In my experience most boards want ram in A2 and B2 unless you're running 4 sticks, check the manual on that one.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Still tends to boot though, it'll just complain when posting.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

F4rt5 posted:

Asking for some help, and pointers to whether I'm correct or not.

It is 100000% the BIOS. Native AM4 motherboards don't support Zen3 without a BIOS update and therefore won't boot. Gotta plop the latest firmware on a USB drive (FAT32) and put it into the QUICKFLASH USB slot (its red) and boot up. May have to have the CPU disconnected I'm not sure

You can probably just pass along the information and they can do it themselves.

Latest F33a BIOS for x570 AE is here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jml1f9s2552adzx/X570AORUSELITE.F33a/file

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xaris posted:

It is 100000% the BIOS. Native AM4 motherboards don't support Zen3 without a BIOS update and therefore won't boot. Gotta plop the latest firmware on a USB drive (FAT32) and put it into the QUICKFLASH USB slot (its red) and boot up. May have to have the CPU disconnected I'm not sure

You can probably just pass along the information and they can do it themselves.

Latest F33a BIOS for x570 AE is here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/jml1f9s2552adzx/X570AORUSELITE.F33a/file

Agreed. I think you and I both have that same that motherboard, and it has been around long enough that I doubt there are many being sold with the most recent BIOS versions already onboard.

I have used the BIOS USB update several times, but always with a compatible CPU installed - not sure if it would work the same with a non-compatible CPU installed.

Edit: Also including a link to the Gigabyte support page for that motherboard since I have it bookmarked: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
I've had bad experiences with beta BIOS in the past so tend to go with full-version releases myself.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 23, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Agreed. I think you and I both have that same that motherboard, and it has been around long enough that I doubt there are many being sold with the most recent BIOS versions already onboard.

I have used the BIOS USB update several times, but always with a compatible CPU installed - not sure if it would work the same with a non-compatible CPU installed.

Edit: Also including a link to the Gigabyte support page for that motherboard since I have it bookmarked: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
I've had bad experiences with beta BIOS in the past so tend to go with full-version releases myself.

The F33a one is supposed to be the best one so far so I'd just recommend going with it here, some people I trust have said it's been very stable and best one for performance/temps/etc. Still an IF wall (without WHEAs) above 1900 though. Some of hte F30 and F31 beta bios were pretty bad yeah but everything Ive seen its an improvement or same as F32 launch but any of them will boot.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Xaris posted:

The F33a one is supposed to be the best one so far so I'd just recommend going with it here, some people I trust have said it's been very stable and best one for performance/temps/etc. Still an IF wall (without WHEAs) above 1900 though. Some of hte F30 and F31 beta bios were pretty bad yeah but everything Ive seen its an improvement or same as F32 launch but any of them will boot.

Okay, cool. That makes me more likely to consider it. I'm just on a 3600X so it isn't crucial for me. I think I'm on F32 but would have to double-check.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Gonna finally retire the ol' Westmere and go AMD. Got a new board and memory. Water loop with a ridiculous gently caress-off radiator too. Because I've been holed up in my garage for the last 10 months so why the hell not?

Anyhoo. What's the general state of affairs for 5950x availability? Are there any places in particular that get them in stock or should I not even bother for a while?

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 24, 2021

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
That Lenovo P620 sure looks nice. Too bad they didn't have one when I was looking for a ThreadRipper workstation a couple of years ago.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/think-workstations/thinkstation-p-series-towers/ThinkStation-P620/p/33TS3TPP620

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Thanks for the BIOS advice, I had apparently brain farted and misremembered details from Zen 2 so long ago. After reading more, yeah, I'm sure this is the problem. Especially since it's a 5600, which wasn't supported before B30 according to Gigabyte... And you're right about A2 and B2 for the RAM, although I find it highly illogical.

I won't be able to test it today as he's not available, but I've forwarded links and procedures to the dude so he can try it himself. Pretty much press butan, receive ba... AGESA :)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

That Lenovo P620 sure looks nice. Too bad they didn't have one when I was looking for a ThreadRipper workstation a couple of years ago.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/think-workstations/thinkstation-p-series-towers/ThinkStation-P620/p/33TS3TPP620
The Threadripper Pro is no longer Lenovo exclusive, so as soon as the butt service companies and other hyperscalers have had their fill, availability may get good enough that you can buy it and a Supermicro or ASUS motherboard.
The Supermicro board looks especially interesting, because even with ALL of the daughterboard expansion slots, M.2, U.2, and everything else, it looks like it doesn't have too few PCI-Ex lanes, so you could in theory fill the system to capacity and still not lack for bandwidth.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Gonna finally retire the ol' Westmere and go AMD. Got a new board and memory. Water loop with a ridiculous gently caress-off radiator too. Because I've been holed up in my garage for the last 10 months so why the hell not?

Anyhoo. What's the general state of affairs for 5950x availability? Are there any places in particular that get them in stock or should I not even bother for a while?

Bad. Use this discord for stock alerts. https://discord.gg/CEWR3Z9Z

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Why is a discord the place to find stock availability, of all things?
Is RSS/Atom/mailing lists/anything meant for few-to-many mass-communication/anything that isn't a huge-rear end javascript codebase dead?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Crossposting from the PC building thread

Storm One posted:

If I were to believe PC Part Picker no B550 motherboards support ECC memory, yet supposedly all Ryzen compatible ASRock boards do use it.

What about ASUS? Do the B550 listed on their site as ECC compatible use it properly or do they treat it as non-ECC RAM?

Some Goon posted:

ECC isn't officially supported on the platform, but it's my understanding that it does work.
Anyone have any recs or horror stories about ECC support in B550 mobos?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Is RSS/Atom/mailing lists/anything meant for few-to-many mass-communication/anything that isn't a huge-rear end javascript codebase dead?

Yes?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Because that’s slow? Discord is just IRC.

I mean, not literally like slack is (was?) but still.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Because that’s slow? Discord is just IRC.

I mean, not literally like slack is (was?) but still.
Discord is IRC, but slow.

Irssi on my laptop has a resident memory set (ie. that's the memory it's actually using) of ~43.5MB, with quite a few scripts and a few plugins.
Irssi on my server has a resident memory set of 2MB.
Discord, unless limited by the kernel, will allocate several GB easily - and that's assuming there are no memory leaks, which there absolutely are.

The only reason you can't use irssi for Discord is that Discord will actively permaban users who use third-party clients.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 24, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The only reason you can't use irssi for Discord is that Discord will actively permaban users who use third-party clients.

https://github.com/terminal-discord/weechat-discord
i've been using this for years, never been banned.

and besides, so what if you get banned? just make a new account they free :v:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Irssi on my laptop has a resident memory set (ie. that's the memory it's actually using) of ~43.5MB, with quite a few scripts and a few plugins.
Discord, unless limited by the kernel, will allocate several GB easily - and that's assuming there are no memory leaks, which there absolutely are.

Sounds like you should start an IRC server for stock drops. Post the link when you do!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I have Discord running 24/7, and when it's minimized, like right now, it barely adds up to 200MB. Even when showing the window and browsing through the channels, goes up to maybe 300MB and stays there. :confused:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

this post is great

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

let me know which of those provide desktop notifications within seconds of a specific message being sent, with near zero configuration, to an audience of >10k

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Truga posted:

https://github.com/terminal-discord/weechat-discord
i've been using this for years, never been banned.

and besides, so what if you get banned? just make a new account they free :v:
If that was the impediment, I already have a Bitlbee instance I can connect to discord and connect irssi to.

If I do get banned, I have to remember all of the discord servers I'm on, and where I got the invites. :effort:

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like you should start an IRC server for stock drops. Post the link when you do!
irc://irc.efnet.org/#stocks

..Are there even still URI handlers for that? I haven't seen an URI for decades like it for what feels like decades. :v:

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have Discord running 24/7, and when it's minimized, like right now, it barely adds up to 200MB. Even when showing the window and browsing through the channels, goes up to maybe 300MB and stays there. :confused:
That's not been my experience - even when using it casually just for voice-chatting, it baloons.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

let me know which of those provide desktop notifications within seconds of a specific message being sent, with near zero configuration, to an audience of >10k
Like well-designed systems, they're designed to be asyncronous.
IRC does provide near-instant notifications, if you configure them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Malloc Voidstar posted:

yeah just plain old IRC channel is literally this, except instead of getting roles on a server to get pings, you set your own ping words in the client

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

And I thought I was a techno-contrarian. It sounds like you've been in your garage a bit longer than 10 months, mate :)

Enjoy the horrible new world of blockstacking, fad-based development which 70-ish% solves problems you know were 100% solved 30 years ago. But everything has animations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So ASRock finally tried to make an ITX mainboard around the EPYC socket, huh? It's slightly wider than ITX, but otherwise compact as gently caress. Those clowns.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mdxi posted:

And I thought I was a techno-contrarian. It sounds like you've been in your garage a bit longer than 10 months, mate :)

Enjoy the horrible new world of blockstacking, fad-based development which 70-ish% solves problems you know were 100% solved 30 years ago. But everything has animations.
I mean, moving pictures are pretty cool, not gonna lie.

There is something to be said for the idea that the commodification of compute and memory today has led to developer inefficiencies, though - back on 32bit platforms when you couldn't allocate +2GB for a process, nobody thought of not at least trying to avoid memory leaks, if they wanted something to run.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Combat Pretzel posted:

So ASRock finally tried to make an ITX mainboard around the EPYC socket, huh? It's slightly wider than ITX, but otherwise compact as gently caress. Those clowns.

From the Anand article on it: "A single DB15 D-Sub video output is present for users looking to access the system psychically"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

From the Anand article on it: "A single DB15 D-Sub video output is present for users looking to access the system psychically"
What, not even a console port? Heresy! :black101:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

That's not been my experience - even when using it casually just for voice-chatting, it baloons.

Gotta say I think you're the odd man out here. Mine sits at 190MB +/- a few unless I'm on a voice call, at which point it's about 250MB. Not tiny, but if you're seeing gigs worth of actual active memory use, your install is hosed to hell and/or you're using some real bad extensions or something.

Also the answer for "why Discord?" is "because the people making the bots use Discord, because it is simple and easy and pretty and that's what most people want out of a chat program these days." Very few people have IRC itself installed anymore.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

DrDork posted:

Gotta say I think you're the odd man out here. Mine sits at 190MB +/- a few unless I'm on a voice call, at which point it's about 250MB. Not tiny, but if you're seeing gigs worth of actual active memory use, your install is hosed to hell and/or you're using some real bad extensions or something.

Also the answer for "why Discord?" is "because the people making the bots use Discord, because it is simple and easy and pretty and that's what most people want out of a chat program these days." Very few people have IRC itself installed anymore.

Pretty much. Mine uses 100-150 megs whenever I happen to check memory usage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, I see about 350 mb in use, while being a member of about 30-35 servers. It's not exactly a crazy resource hog.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

complaining about Discord not being IRC is one of the most grey beard things ive heard in a while.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

complaining about Discord not being IRC is one of the most grey beard things ive heard in a while.

Why do you think they need stock alerts? Their 486 finally gave out!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Looking for an air cooler for the R 5 3600 that I've had sitting around for too long. Anyone have a suggestion for something dead quiet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Scythe Ninja 2?