Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Everything's an accent, the difference is really just in which one you choose to standardize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

This phenomenon occurs in American English as well, to the point where the mass collection of German emigres that settled in Pennsylvania and the descendant culture are referred to as the Pennsylvania Dutch to this day.
We thank our ancestors for the saumagen and silly dialectical quirks.

Something really neat with Pennsylvania Dutch is that they sometimes use a weird system of code switching which simultaneously butchers both languages- the example I always see is that "turn off the light" becomes "aughten the licht." (I suspect they're going aus - out - outten - austen - aughten.)

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm 5 hours into Jenny Leclue (so about halfway done according to howlongtobeat.com), and I'm really digging it. It's genuinely funny and delightful, the core mystery has me intrigued and the voice-acting (which they added post-release) is really good. Gameplay is pretty much non-existent though to the point where it's pretty much a walking sim with very light puzzle elements, so don't expect any Crime&Punishment-style deductive reasoning beyond some very surface level stuff.

Overall, I get strong Double-Fine vibes from the humour and style, which has always endeared me to their games, but without the questionable gameplay, so win-win?

I think it's an easy recommend at the current discounted price of :fivecbux:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Baller Time posted:

The game rules, but it's hidden behind a million free2play barf menues.

It's also funny how the buyable skins are the most asian-cash-shop thing ever

Here is how the game looks normally:

Here are some skins for Joan d'Arc

Wow... that is some trailer on that games Steam page. I don't think I'd trust a game like that to not install a rootkit on my PC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Baller Time posted:

Here are some skins for Joan d'Arc

more like Joan D'Va

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
When I was visiting Missouri for work, a midwesterner said to me quite smugly, that he's one of the few people in the world with 'no accent at all!' I'd never heard this weird lie before so I was loving flabberghasted. I'm first language English but not from the USA. I lol'd a lot.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Played some Phasmophobia with my cousin. That game is definitely one of those "Lot more fun than it seems like it should be" cases.

It's legit spooky despite the jankiness. I was going to set up a video camera in the room the ghost was haunting, and as soon as I entered, the ghost immediately killed the lights, slammed the door shut and started groaning at me. I took out my flashlight and there was just this shadowy silhouette standing there, going "aaaaaaaaa". Very traditional ghost horror tropes, yes, but there's just something about the game's atmosphere that makes it work.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I suppose the most jarring thing to hear when I leave New England is people saying aunt as "ant".

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

redreader posted:

When I was visiting Missouri for work, a midwesterner said to me quite smugly, that he's one of the few people in the world with 'no accent at all!' I'd never heard this weird lie before so I was loving flabberghasted. I'm first language English but not from the USA. I lol'd a lot.

I'm curious how many people of any language think they don't have an accent.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Whoever designed the cops system in Need for Speed Heat is a dick. I've been trying to start this race but cops keep spawning right next to the starting point so I'm hiding or being spotted and chased and cannot initiate. It's been like 10 minutes!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I have an accent but I also say words the right way unlike everyone else.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

gently caress need for speed heat

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I've often wondered but nobody can confirm or deny. (About my accent).

Still don't know about Eisenwald. The game has its fun bits but it also super jankey and is level based so you have to start (almost) from scratch every level. I think I'm Eador'ed out for now. Dunno what else I wanna play. The only game I bought during the Steam Sale that I'd want to go back to is Deep Sky Derelicts so maybe that.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

ChrisBTY posted:

I've often wondered but nobody can confirm or deny. (About my accent).

Still don't know about Eisenwald. The game has its fun bits but it also super jankey and is level based so you have to start (almost) from scratch every level. I think I'm Eador'ed out for now. Dunno what else I wanna play. The only game I bought during the Steam Sale that I'd want to go back to is Deep Sky Derelicts so maybe that.

How is that? I've looked at it a few different times, but I never felt compelled to buy it largely because it looked like another Darkest Dungeon, and I felt like if I was gonna play second party DD I should just play DD again.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Deep Sky Derelicts doesn't really play like Darkest Dungeon or have the same kind of "disposable characters, you play as the estate" overarching design going, but like Darkest Dungeon it suffers a lot from being overall highly repetitive. After the first two or three missions you play, you'll have basically seen everything the game has to offer, so it's a really hard game to stick with unless you just really enjoy the gameplay for its own sake.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008
and now it seems to be Blaquetooth

anyone able to contact them?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Don't think this got mentioned, happened last week (January 20th): Antitrust: Commission fines Valve and five publishers of PC video games € 7.8 million for “geo-blocking” practices

European Commission posted:

The Commission found that by bilaterally agreeing to geo-block certain PC video games from outside a specific territory, Valve and each publisher partitioned the EEA market in violation of EU antitrust rules. In particular, today's Decisions conclude that Valve and the publishers engaged in the following geo-blocking practices:

Bilateral agreements and/or concerted practices between Valve and each of the five PC video game publisher implemented by means of geo-blocked Steam activation keys which prevented the activation of certain of these publishers' PC video games outside Czechia, Poland, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, in response to unsolicited consumer requests (so-called “passive sales”). These lasted between one and five years and were implemented, depending on the cases, between September 2010 and October 2015.

- Geo-blocking practices in the form of licensing and distribution agreements concluded bilaterally between four out of the five PC video game publishers (i.e. Bandai, Focus Home, Koch Media and ZeniMax) and some of their respective PC video games distributors in the EEA (other than Valve), containing clauses which restricted cross-border (passive) sales of the affected PC video games within the EEA, including the above-mentioned Central and Eastern European countries. These lasted generally longer, i.e. between three and 11 years and were implemented, depending on each bilateral relationship, between March 2007 and November 2018.

- The geo-blocking practices concerned around 100 PC video games of different genres, including sports, simulation and action games. They prevented consumers from activating and playing PC video games sold by the publishers' distributors either on physical media, such as DVDs, or through downloads. These business practices therefore denied European consumers the benefits of the EU's Digital Single Market to shop around between Member States to find the most suitable offer.

Extremely small fine that doesn't make any sort of impact but at least geoblocking is getting acknowledged.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I've been playing Hades for 12 hours and have gotten to fighting Hades on his 2nd HP bar. Is it normal for things to take this long or do I just suck at this game?

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

So I've been playing Hades for 12 hours and have gotten to fighting Hades on his 2nd HP bar. Is it normal for things to take this long or do I just suck at this game?

Hades chat: I think I beat the boss on run 25 or so. I didn't beat them again for another 10 runs. Keep plugging away and pump darkness into the mirror. You can also turn on god mode that makes runs a bit easier each time you fail. There are tons of people to talk to whether you win or lose anyway. It's a game that starts hard and gets easier as you learn enemy patterns.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yakuza Kiwami 2 is such a loving massive improvement over Kiwami 1 and 0.

I know it constantly comes up telling people to play 0, skip K1 but then you would have literally no context for 90% of the game. It's better to just tell people to play K1 on the easy mode because the combat is tedious and the game overall hadn't figured out its identity yet so the real point is to learn Kiryu's origin story which is actually really good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, Hades is less about destination and more about the journey. Beating the final boss for the nth time will never be the end, there's *always* more conversions to have.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nah, that's about normal, especially for folks who don't have previous roguelike experience. Start-of-file Zag is incredibly weak and it can take some time to get the combination of power and experience to finish a run. Some folks might find their groove on a weapon or figure out a boon build they like and get there faster, but if you're messing around with weapons as they get the Thirst and trying on new boons and weapon upgrades to fill out the Prophecy log then somewhere around 20-30 runs seems about average for a first clear.

Mechanical spoilers below:
If you really, really just want to force a clear, a cast-centric build using the Green mirror path (Stygian Soul) is probably the most 'consistent' good build before the unlocks that show up after your first clear. Focus on finding ways to get more casts (Chaos boons, Artemis' legendary boon, Hermes boons, Prometheus Stones from the Well of Charon especially combined with Charon's keepsake) on top of whatever your preferred cast boons are and just blow up rooms and chunk bosses and focus on staying safe while waiting for recharges. Just remember, the game isn't going to get any easier after your first clear- in particular, the currency you'll need to upgrade your weapons is locked behind either getting to Act 4 with lots of gold to have a chance to buy it, or beating the 1st and 4th bosses with new difficulty modifiers added to your run- so don't feel like you need to ham-fist a win before you're ready.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Like most roguelikes, character builds are also not terribly well-balanced, so if you keep playing then sooner or later you're going to luck into a build that pretty much just wins the game for you. I beat the last boss the first time I reached him - without even using any of my revives - because I had some absurd combination of upgrades that killed everything in the room before I even had a chance to look at it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ultrafilter posted:

I'm playing through Schein right now and unless it really shits the bed at the end I'm going to declare it a hidden gem. It's a puzzle platformer with some pretty decent challenges in both aspects, which is a balance that a lot of games struggle to hit.

Finished this tonight and it's definitely worth checking out. One of the voice actors is a bit flat at times and the difficulty curve isn't quite as smooth as I'd like, but those are my only complaints.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Triarii posted:

Like most roguelikes, character builds are also not terribly well-balanced, so if you keep playing then sooner or later you're going to luck into a build that pretty much just wins the game for you.
It's what I would call Hades' biggest design problem as a game, honestly. Even by roguelike standards you have very little control over just what kind of build you end up with on any given run. If you're just not that good at the basic gameplay, there's not a lot you can really do to stack the deck in your favour. Either the RNG rolls good upgrades for you or it doesn't.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's what I would call Hades' biggest design problem as a game, honestly. Even by roguelike standards you have very little control over just what kind of build you end up with on any given run. If you're just not that good at the basic gameplay, there's not a lot you can really do to stack the deck in your favour. Either the RNG rolls good upgrades for you or it doesn't.

Three Strike, Artemis Call, Dash Deflect, and Aphrodite's Attack boon are by far the best upgrades. I also carry around the Skull Tooth so I have an extra death defiance.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 25, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Three Strike, Artemis Call, Dash Deflect, and Dionysus's Attack boon are by far the best upgrades. I also carry around the Skull Tooth so I have an extra death defiance.

The butterfly one from Thanatos is really good once you’re a bit more comfortable. Once it’s leveled you can get a nice +20 percent damage easily off the opening levels and it makes a huge difference.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

IMO the best early crutch one is the Dusa one for advancing further in the game and 'farming' resources.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The butterfly one from Thanatos is really good once you’re a bit more comfortable. Once it’s leveled you can get a nice +20 percent damage easily off the opening levels and it makes a huge difference.

So it starts off all enemies with 80% HP? Does it work for bosses?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

So it starts off all enemies with 80% HP? Does it work for bosses?

You get +.5/1/1.5 percent damage on all attacks per arena you clear without getting hit. Early on that’s pretty easy to do.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

My favorite early boon is Dionysus strong brew.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ultra gently caress-off build is Athena's dash with maxed Zagreus fists and Hermes' feather.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Cardiovorax posted:

This is simply not true. You never have the ability to completely control what you get for boons, but you have a lot of tools to influence which way your build will go. Your skill development is obviously the most important factor in getting to where you win consistently though, as it should be. Also, even if the RNG is especially uncooperative and really somehow gives you none of what you want, it's still largely fine because there are good viable options for every single god.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Cardiovorax posted:

The variance in power between runs is actually good for people not that good at the basic gameplay though... You can't stack the deck every run, but you can combine knowledge of the perks with some luck to win a run without getting good enough to win the average run in the game. If you could actually guaranteed get whatever perks you wanted each run it'd kill build variety and they'd either have to balance around the new average power of each run or deal with more skilled players complaining it's too easy :v:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
In my opinion, runs gets less and less random as you unlock more mirror powers and keepsakes, although you can't completely remove randomness by the time you have the upgrades and experiencw with the system, rng stops being a big factor.

Right now I'm grinding my last achievement (max all keepsakes) just for the sake of completion and I'm doing it by slow rolling heat options with all weapons, around 11-12 heat. It's a challenging enough heat level to have to actually pay attention but not hard enough to be frustrating and all builds are kind of viable. It's been pretty fun because I roll with whatever it's and more often than not I end up with pretty powerful, if unusual, combinations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Also at a certain point you start getting a game breaking duo or even two duos on most runs, and when you start you never get them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
Anyone know of any super simple Tower Defense games? My five year old was playing one on his tablet and so I thought I'd get some steam games for him. I looked through what I have and decided that Defense Grid would be probably too hard, we played around with Plants Vs Zombies which he seems to enjoy, Kingdom Rush looks a bit simple but I don't even remember playing it, and Defenders quest I vaguely remember starting out pretty simple.

I have about 8 more that I know he wouldn't be able to do much with.

Any other suggestions?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, you can do a bunch of build customisation in Hades by swapping in and out the various god trinkets that guarantee that the next boon will be from a given god.

So for example, you might decide you want to get the Zeus and Poseidon duo boon, so you start the game with the Zeus trinket, then switch to the Poseidon one once you clear the first area. The game will only give you boons from a certain number of gods per run (five?) unless you force it to do otherwise, so by "locking in" Zeus and Poseidon you'll guarantee a decent number of boons from those two throughout the game, which maximises your chances of getting their Duo boon.

There's also the stuff you can do in the mirror to give yourself boon and room rerolls, and increase your chances of getting certain types of upgrade.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Darkhold posted:

Anyone know of any super simple Tower Defense games? My five year old was playing one on his tablet and so I thought I'd get some steam games for him. I looked through what I have and decided that Defense Grid would be probably too hard, we played around with Plants Vs Zombies which he seems to enjoy, Kingdom Rush looks a bit simple but I don't even remember playing it, and Defenders quest I vaguely remember starting out pretty simple.

I have about 8 more that I know he wouldn't be able to do much with.

Any other suggestions?

PvZ and Kingdom Rush are both good picks for this sort of thing. Alternatively, or maybe after those two are done with, Bloons TD 6 and/or Defense Grid 2 are probably the best follow ups as they can also be played in Co-op so it's easy to help out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blueshirt fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 25, 2021