Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks! Started this and what I saw of Orianna was definitely worth it. The night to remember song :aaa:

Revisit the trailer if you haven't. It is not just the song, it's the same character model and voice. They foreshadowed the epilogue to the final DLC in their goddamn launch trailer. Also Geralt rides towards Beauclair at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the best way to grind XP? I know it's not necessary, but I wanna finish my second playthrough in that masterwork armor, so I have to get to level 69.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Assuming you've already beaten all quests and contracts, there's two Nekker nests in eastern Velen that respawn infinitely. They're arranged in a triangle with a third nest east of Reardon Manor.

There's several videos on Youtube that will show you precisely what you need to do and where to go.

It's slow but it's still the most efficient way to grind XP since you get XP for each Nekker you kill and a bunch for each nest you blow up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Towards the end of Blood and Wine, I was really disappointed that the big secret vampire bossman was just some naked jerk in a magic cave. How was I supposed to know that the other side of the quest fork was so much more produced.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Chernobyl and its funny that I keep seeing and hearing a bunch of Witcher 3 actors. So far I've heard Letho, Philippa and one of the Temerian peasant voices.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm watching Chernobyl and its funny that I keep seeing and hearing a bunch of Witcher 3 actors. So far I've heard Letho, Philippa and one of the Temerian peasant voices.

Same with AC Valhalla. A bunch of the children and peasants from W3 are in it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SlothfulCobra posted:

Towards the end of Blood and Wine, I was really disappointed that the big secret vampire bossman was just some naked jerk in a magic cave. How was I supposed to know that the other side of the quest fork was so much more produced.

I love this part because deep inside I want to see a fight between him and the crowns, or Gaunter.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I just dropped out of a Cyberpunk session and looked at my time played, and it was at 131.3 hours, and I wondered "huh, how much Witcher 3 have I played?" So I went and looked, and it was precisely 131.3 hours. That was weird.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

There are hints that the other choice is the better adventure, your instincts just weren't up to it!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Hey, folks!

Haven't really played the Witcher 3 since its release. Got close to completing it -- and then I lost all my save files in a HDD crash. 6 years and 2 DLC's later I'm itching to give it another go. I've compiled a list of mods focusing on quality of life, immersion, as well as making planning and preparation more important. With that in mind, have I missed anything essential?

QoL
Better Than Icons
All Quest Objectives On Map
AutoLoot Configurable All-in-One (Not compatible with LEGO)
Over 9000 - Weight limit
Better Torches

~*Immersion*~~~
Friendly HUD
No Dirty Lens Effect
More Realistic Wind Effect
Friendly Meditation

Gameplay
FCR3
Preparations (Not compatible with LEGO)
Jump in Shallow Water
Item Levels Normalized (Incorporated in LEGO)
Witcher 2 Potion Length (Didn't feel quite right)
Increased Creature Loot (Using LEGO instead)
No Fall Damage
Enhanced Targeting (Outdated)

Fun
Critical Slow Motion Combat Mod
Better Trophies
Glowing Witcher Eyes (Too extreme)
Cheap Dyes Everywhere

Graphics
The Witcher 3 HD Reworked
Meadows
rfuzzo's AI 4K Upscaled Project - Clutter
Immersive Lighting

Miscallenous
All NPC Scabbards (Required by Besserwisser and Nitpicker patch)
Besserwisser and Nitpicker
LEGO
Mod Limit Adjuster
Tweaks

anatomi fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 24, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

FCR3 is really good. All the changes make complete sense, there's no reason not to run with it.

I'm also having a lot of fun with my no minimap, no map marker mods, with very rare use of fast travel. Forces you to actually pay attention to where you are, but it took a couple hours to get used to. I am using Friendly HUD though (with marker distance turned down to 50), might be over irritating without that.

No Fall Damage is awesome, highly recommend. Enhanced Targeting also great. Same with Enhanced Weather.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 20, 2021

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

mcbexx posted:

Revisit the trailer if you haven't. It is not just the song, it's the same character model and voice. They foreshadowed the epilogue to the final DLC in their goddamn launch trailer. Also Geralt rides towards Beauclair at the end.

This is extremely cool. Finished it up now and I really liked the blood and wine plot, even though it didn't go in the direction I was hoping (I thought it would be revealed that this whole ruling class were secretly rival vampires)

I still have a bunch of sidequests left, and while I'm taking a break I think this will be the rare open world game where I actually come back after finishing the main quest. The writing is just so good.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Auto Apply Oils is essential.

Increased Creature Loot is great if you're an alchemy completionist.
Cheap Dyes Everywhere is a purely cosmetic change, but one of those "Why WASN'T this in the base game?"

Glowing Eyes is cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love the No Levels mod because it makes the game use the fallout style leveling where there's no scaling and big enemies are always lethal.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Auto Apply Oils is essential.

Nah. Oils aren't essential. No need to ever apply them if you don't want. Auto apply is only useful if you must be min-maxed at all times.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Quick Apply Oil is a good middle ground. Use oils only when you feel like it, but you don't have to go into the pause menu to apply it. You just hit a button of your choice while in the radial menu.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah I don't understand the love for Auto Apply Oils or No Weight Limit (granted I play with the FCR reduced loot package). Oils feel ignorable with random monsters, but I enjoy wondering what I'm going to need for the contract beasts. I think Friendly HUD let's you select oils from the quick menu too (I still do it through inventory out of habit).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Has anyone ever found inventory management engaging once in the history of RPGs? Same goes for durability. gently caress that nonsense. It doesn't have a meaningful effect on the economy, just get rid of weight limits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No videogame has done inventory management as well as resident evil four. There was nothing like hearing that satisfying click as you rearranged all your grenades, eggs, and fish to fit in that sniper rifle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

No videogame has done inventory management as well as resident evil four. There was nothing like hearing that satisfying click as you rearranged all your grenades, eggs, and fish to fit in that sniper rifle.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Has anyone ever found inventory management engaging once in the history of RPGs? Same goes for durability. gently caress that nonsense. It doesn't have a meaningful effect on the economy, just get rid of weight limits.

Agreed.

I don't mind it in certain circumstances, where picking and choosing what to pick up leads to interesting gameplay choices, but the way most modern RPGs operate it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I actually found it especially frustrating in W3, because if you pick up everything then you're going back to town constantly to sell, rather than experiencing the story/sidequests/combat. But then most merchants have limited cash anyway, so you often can't sell it for much money. The game is still constantly throwing junk loot at you while you've got nowhere to put it, but at the same time you need a lot of junk loot to break down for crafting. That whole balance never felt right to me, and the easiest end-run around it is to remove the weight limit and just carry everything.

And I'm not even a real lootwhore in games like this!

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

How about Diablo 2, where your character progression is tied to slowly eating up your inventory space with charms, to the point where you can only pick up 1 item at a time....

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

webmeister posted:

Agreed.

I don't mind it in certain circumstances, where picking and choosing what to pick up leads to interesting gameplay choices, but the way most modern RPGs operate it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I actually found it especially frustrating in W3, because if you pick up everything then you're going back to town constantly to sell, rather than experiencing the story/sidequests/combat. But then most merchants have limited cash anyway, so you often can't sell it for much money. The game is still constantly throwing junk loot at you while you've got nowhere to put it, but at the same time you need a lot of junk loot to break down for crafting. That whole balance never felt right to me, and the easiest end-run around it is to remove the weight limit and just carry everything.

And I'm not even a real lootwhore in games like this!

The FCR3 reduced junk loot patch is heavenly. No more containers filled with rakes and vials, meaning loot whore me doesn't even have to worry. I was overencumbered once in White Orchard and it's never come up again.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Your cool and good friend Regis tried to tell you. Why wouldn't you listen to your friend?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

Your cool and good friend Regis tried to tell you. Why wouldn't you listen to your friend?

Tbf Regis was like "this guy is sick as poo poo, he's insanely powerful and dangerous and meeting him is comparable to walking a tightrope over lava". I'd expect big things too.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I would buy, play and recommend Attache Case HD the Game

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pillars of Eternity is probably my favorite inventory system ever. At least I can’t think of one I like more at the moment.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've been eyeing LEGO to curb my loot rat behaviour. The changes seem sensible enough: no item levels, less junk, fewer lootable containers, scaling item power, no random relic drops, etc.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

anatomi posted:

I've been eyeing LEGO to curb my loot rat behaviour. The changes seem sensible enough: no item levels, less junk, fewer lootable containers, scaling item power, no random relic drops, etc.

Thanks, I saw this mentioned before and was planning to use it on my next run, but I couldn't remember what it was called!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Gaius Marius posted:

Now that the REVIII showcase has been streamed I have good news for you friend.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

So way behind here...but any tips for Witcher 2? I have not played it before and want to do a quick run through before starting Witcher 3.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

MH Knights posted:

So way behind here...but any tips for Witcher 2? I have not played it before and want to do a quick run through before starting Witcher 3.

I steam rolled over the game on Easy if you're just interested in the story.

I would recommend Roche path. The main characters on the other path don't appear in the third game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

OhFunny posted:

I steam rolled over the game on Easy if you're just interested in the story.

I would recommend Roche path. The main characters on the other path don't appear in the third game.

If you have the time and make a save just before the Iorveth/Roche path decision, it is worth playing both paths to get the full story as both paths give you different views of events.
If you decide to do that do Roche first and then Iorveth.
Plus the Dwarves are great on Iorveth's path in Vergen and you get to meet Philippa.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Helith posted:

If you have the time and make a save just before the Iorveth/Roche path decision, it is worth playing both paths to get the full story as both paths give you different views of events.
If you decide to do that do Roche first and then Iorveth.
Plus the Dwarves are great on Iorveth's path in Vergen and you get to meet Philippa.

i wouldnt say both paths give you different views of events. i would say both paths have completely different events to view

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

scary ghost dog posted:

i wouldnt say both paths give you different views of events. i would say both paths have completely different events to view

I don't really want to wander into spoiler territory for the person playing it for the first time, but it's more like a mix. Both paths give you unique events but also a different sides view of some core story events and characters.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Now I'm imagining what the Roach path would look like.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

scary ghost dog posted:

It’s both of these. You absolutely need at least two playthroughs to get most of the story. You could do the save-before-chapter-2 thing but I prefer to just replay the whole game over and over because like Witcher 3 and 1, it’s an awesome game.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MH Knights posted:

When you arrive in Flotsam, make sure to go to the Blue Stripes headquarters at some point. There's a sidequest that happens there that has far-reaching consequences.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cobalt-60 posted:

Now I'm imagining what the Roach path would look like.

Like just about any path you might travel, but moving by quite quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Roach clearly has the ability to teleport through space though, Wild Hunt should just be trying to capture him.