Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

this thread started as "only ugly guitars itt" or something like. we're not picky. cool things can be stupid. stupid things can be cool. it's fine

edit: like, have some content

https://www.discogs.com/label/1359481-Drunk-Dial-Records

I got the first five of this 7" series when I was on vacation last January and am just getting around to listening to them now.

Despite the premise, they're actually pretty fun. The only really eyerolling parts are when they keep in the sound of the artist opening another can/bottle before or after the song. like, we get it. it's not necessary, a little dumb and a little gross.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCcbZVZH9A

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just gonna quote this here in case someone doesn't read the guitar thread:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Rainbow Rhoads

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Laserjet 4P posted:

Rainbow Rhoads

would totally have a menu item called that if i owned a sorbet shop

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the deal with Ovations anyway? They seem favored by a lot of "non-traditional" guitarists (Fripp above, acoustic tappers, etc) but I can't figure out why.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Plastic future space acoustics, plus they were early adopters of piezo pickups so you didn't have to stand in front of a mic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have always disliked the sound of Ovation acoustics and do not understand their appeal as a traditional acoustic guitar. As a weirdo, plastic-sounding, very specific sound they are pretty cool, I suppose.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
We are looking at houses and today someone had a loving Dumble ODS in their music room. The stupid music poo poo is what people pay for those things.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BonHair posted:

Sounds perfectly reasonable! I think the relevant Vai anecdote (possibly made up) is that he originally wanted a seven string guitar for numerological reasons and started the experiments with a high A string which would snap all the time because it was too thin. Then we got the low B instead.

As far as I have seen, most 6 string basses are also BEADGC for extended range in both directions

The tension on classical guitars are a lot different from electrics and steel strings, and much lower, so I think you'll be fine. I would recommend getting appropriate setting gauges, but I also don't think that's gonna be possible in this reality. But if you are least keep from tuning the stock strings up a fourth, but change them to appropriate gauges, you should be fine.

Interesting, this gives me hope but we'll see. I also won't be in E standard, but D, hoping that step down will help with the strings not breaking. The final tuning would be CDGCFAdg, low to high.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

User Error posted:

We are looking at houses and today someone had a loving Dumble ODS in their music room. The stupid music poo poo is what people pay for those things.

I dunno about this one but they are like Shelby Cobras, 99% are replicas. That said, you could probably buy a house with the proceeds from the sale of a real one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK, this is pretty silly but it's also blowing my mind.

https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1353048862148104194

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
That sounds like one of those light up and noise making laser gun toys that goes on for way longer than you expect or want it to. When you think its done it does another new sound or explosion

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

An impressive amount of talent and effort put into making sounds that I do not appreciate.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Fors Yard posted:

That sounds like one of those light up and noise making laser gun toys that goes on for way longer than you expect or want it to. When you think its done it does another new sound or explosion

Haha yes! I had one of those little blasters as a kid. Which reminds me of some other Stupid Music poo poo (that I secretly loving love): Steve Stevens applying one directly to his pickups. You can hear it deployed a few times in Black Light Syndrome, an absolutely fantastic album of self-indulgent prog poo poo with Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It_fVucKTzY

bees x1000 posted:

An impressive amount of talent and effort put into making sounds that I do not appreciate.

This too. Even though I have fond memories of the heyday of 'robots loving washing machines' dubstep, stuff like this is no longer fresh to me. Still, I'm impressed by the playing - and whatever is going on under the hood - even if it's something I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 25, 2021

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

bees x1000 posted:

Yep, it's not my thing, but so is 99% of metal and I'm happy for the people whose thing it is. I'd be curious if this is a one-riff pony sound-wise but anything that brings in new sounds to guitar is fine by me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

There is at least some pad looping underneath so I don’t really know how much of this is sweetened. Still impressive but doesn’t move the needle fer me.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

This reminds me of videos that used to come out of the now defunct Superdeluxe YouTube channel. Unsettling, but weirdly interesting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

There is at least some pad looping underneath so I don’t really know how much of this is sweetened. Still impressive but doesn’t move the needle fer me.

I hear a digitech whammy pedal for the high parts.

The technique is interesting but the gimmick gets old before the clip ends. It's not a new sound at all but just a bad mix of brostep cliches and djent

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Oh, it's the Berried Alive dude again. Didn't recognise him under his actual name. I think there's been a bit of back and forth about how much he's actually doing live for a while, but he's a serious tech player either way.

As always, Kmac has the best take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRh0qhwNZWg

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Mostly sounds like an NES soundchip to me. Some of that was either sampled from or a really good rendition of Castlevania 2 town music, and of course the Mario bit.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

darkwasthenight posted:

Oh, it's the Berried Alive dude again. Didn't recognise him under his actual name. I think there's been a bit of back and forth about how much he's actually doing live for a while, but he's a serious tech player either way.

As always, Kmac has the best take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRh0qhwNZWg

Yeah wasn't the Berried Alive guy at the center of some "online controversy" where people were accusing him of speeding up his playing and bragging about is skill, and over time his explanation shifted from "um rude I'm def not seeding it up" to "who cares as long as it sounds good in the end bruh?!?"

Cause that got a lol from me.

hahahahaha

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol it was that guy? I remember that. I love music that could be easily mocked but this poo poo sounds like that definition of ska music being the noise a child makes when you tell them there’s more mozzarella sticks.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 25, 2021

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
My guitar instructor was telling me last week one of his former students was involved in some online BS about did he speed things up, could he play it live, etc and I just realized looking at where everyone is located lol Berried Alive is definitely the guy, so there's my Stupid Music poo poo 6 degrees Kevin Bacon moment for the day.

Edit: My guitar instructor really likes Steve Vai.

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 25, 2021

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Good god.

The Boris playing behind the capo is just :discourse:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Good dump! I also want a pedal that makes any guitar sound like a tele.

I also want a matching bass PJ for the bedsheets.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

that definition of ska music being the noise a child makes when you tell them there’s more mozzarella sticks.

:laffo:

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I got a 12-hour Twitter band for playing I hope you die by bloodhound gang

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i refuse to pretend i don't love that blown-apart, blacked out cyberpunk fat strat thing

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

And that's where Epiphone got the design of the first gen Coronet, no joke.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Mister Speaker posted:

OK, this is pretty silly but it's also blowing my mind.

https://twitter.com/tmorello/status/1353048862148104194

See it's funny because Tom Morello has been doing poo poo like this for ages and it's almost entirely pick scrapes and (in this case) probably something like an Alexander Pedals Syntax Error. The main thing that makes it interesting (I guess) is the extended range.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

There's a Helix(?) in the background of that video, it could be doing everything.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
That guy making crazy noises owns, but how does he get it to sound so clean while switching from whacking the low strings to tapping the upper strings? Anything I play like that comes out super flubby, but I have zero experience playing stuff like that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

That guy making crazy noises owns, but how does he get it to sound so clean while switching from whacking the low strings to tapping the upper strings? Anything I play like that comes out super flubby, but I have zero experience playing stuff like that.

a noise gate with a very very short (sub1ms) timing on it will make things sound super tight.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

There's a Helix(?) in the background of that video, it could be doing everything.

It's POD HD500. Roll bar and smaller screen.

I suspect it's mostly done with automation after the initial guitar tracking, there are parts where it sounds like a vibrato effect or whammy is apparent but his feet arent doing anything to activate one. Of course, the fact it literally edits in different guitars in the longer version is a bit of a clue.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 27, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I counted at least six cuts in that 20 second video, so 100% he can't play more than 5 seconds in one take. Add in the stilted/obviously-sped-up part, and the fact that everything's post-produced to hell in the DAW, and yeah, there's not very much actual playing skill going into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
poring over some rando's bleep bloop guitar noise vid like it's the zapruder film