Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

toasterwarrior posted:

Not much, like 1k with a 4-gun battery at the north pole on my starter planet. I mean like, the guns will stop firing at an orbit because I think it's already saturated with sails and there's no more free spot to shoot at? And so you'll have to set another orbit that they can shoot at to create another loop.

Are you sure the gun has LOS to your sail orbit? mine stopped working after 200 sails, but it was because the gas giant obscured the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This game is literally crack. I will never get any work done because I'll be too busy trying to improving and optimise my world factory. Argh!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Are you sure the gun has LOS to your sail orbit? mine stopped working after 200 sails, but it was because the gas giant obscured the sun

Nah, I suspected that too but I eyeballed the thing and they had a clean shot at the orbit.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hihohe posted:

If you put solar panels on the Poles will they always have sunlight?

depends on the inclination. on my first planet i put panels on both sides since polar night/day cycle, but my lava planet next to the sun only has 14 minutes of axial tilt, so the panel batch on the north pole is at like 97-99% efficiency the entire time

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

With my dyson swarm stable at about 5K solar sails I probably should move onto working on the dyson sphere components, rockets and getting warp stuff up and running.

Also I find it interesting that the game feels balanced around creating a lot of smaller, specialized factories where convenient resources appear connected by drone networks compared to Factorio's mega-bases (drone or belt based) fed by massive ore deposits.. Of course I'm note very far so...we'll see how things go when the deposits dry up on my home bases.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think it was a very good idea to make turning in space cost energy, because now I am stuck flying out of the solar system and I can't steer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think it was a very good idea to make turning in space cost energy, because now I am stuck flying out of the solar system and I can't steer.

Should have brought more fuel. Or...not just accelerated up to max speed? Even with full Deuterium tanks I tend not to go past half of max speed.

Alternatively...save before you take off just for that reason.

Anyways, I found the DSP version of the Nazca Lines. Just a little silicon stick man out in the desert!

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

toasterwarrior posted:

I hosed up by trying to build a interstellar transport chain without sufficient power, and man, you need a LOT of fuckin power

EDIT: Yeaaaaah, I think this might be a good place to call it quits for the first run, now that I've learned some important stuff like splitter toggles and so on. It's an absurd amount of power you need, and I'm pretty convinced I'll need to do something crazy like building oil wells on every available source on the starter planet before I even think of looking to the stars.

Playing with a buddy, apparently the massive power draw isn't permanant. He built a hub and it put him in a brownout for five minutes as it fills to capacity, but once full normal operation of drones wasn't pulling that max amount. Maybe down the road when you have a thousand drones it gets worse but he was able to run fine without extra power sources once the initial charge was finished.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the drone ports have a slider on the bottom that lets you set max power drain. i find setting it to minimum (30MW for interstellar one) makes the power drain managable (as in, doesn't cut out all the power). and as in the previous post, once it's full, the idle power drain is super minor and whatever drones use is easily absorbed by the grid you'll have at that point.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
Is there some kind of map marker?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I don't have this yet but DSP seems ridiculously polished for an early access game.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I definitely wish I would have taken my time and checked out each thing as I unlocked it instead of rushing all of this research. A little overwhelmed with how much more I can suddenly do, but I'm definitely enjoying this game so far.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
After watching Colonel Failure's play of NIMBY, I'll be passing. Looks like they took A-Train and cut it down, and since I already have the better game (it's expensive at $60 because of licensing) I'll stick with that. There's no signalling in the game either, and I frankly don't see much replayability since you're stuck with the same map. I guess if it was $10 I'd buy it but no more than that.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 24, 2021

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I finally got into DSP. I think my problem was that after making a highly efficient mega factory in Factorio everything needed to be perfect from the start. As soon as I gave up on that for now I settled right in.

Dyson Sphere Program: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Spaghetti.

I can imagine paving the entire starting planet and making it my research planet. This is gonna be good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Truga posted:

the drone ports have a slider on the bottom that lets you set max power drain. i find setting it to minimum (30MW for interstellar one) makes the power drain managable (as in, doesn't cut out all the power). and as in the previous post, once it's full, the idle power drain is super minor and whatever drones use is easily absorbed by the grid you'll have at that point.

Batteries will also help even out the load, here and elsewhere.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm so glad Nilaus started a DSP let's play because I'm only in ep. 1 but I'm already learning stuff I completely missed in my own game, and I'm already up to purple science in that. I want to scrap and start over now...

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Can you "harvest" soil that you need for paving from other planets? Or does it only count soil gained on that planet?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm so glad Nilaus started a DSP let's play because I'm only in ep. 1 but I'm already learning stuff I completely missed in my own game, and I'm already up to purple science in that. I want to scrap and start over now...

Just fly to another star and start fresh there, and turn off the lights before you go so you don't waste too much when you return.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Just go to another planet! You'll be fine.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Jumped on the DSP hype train. I feel like I'm missing something about furnaces though. It seems like you need an absolute poo poo load to do any sort of mall.

Looking at a basic iron and copper mall, doing things like belts, smelters, assemblers etc, and if I mathed it out correctly, I will need about 30ish iron plates per second.

So I need 30 smelters? That seems a little bonkers.

Also does it bug anyone else that you need to make all your buildings offset so they can pull from both sides of conveyers?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Demon_Corsair posted:

Jumped on the DSP hype train. I feel like I'm missing something about furnaces though. It seems like you need an absolute poo poo load to do any sort of mall.

Looking at a basic iron and copper mall, doing things like belts, smelters, assemblers etc, and if I mathed it out correctly, I will need about 30ish iron plates per second.

So I need 30 smelters? That seems a little bonkers.

Less at the start, the mk 1 assemblers have a 75% speed penelty.

But yeah smelters are the first production building I automated production of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have maybe ten smelters total for blue and red science so I don't think you need that many.

I like that the game encourages you to build in circles, another neat difference from factorio.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
One of the things that I figured with the conveyer management is instead of pulling through two or three belts with different materials I can merge two 1x belts into 2x speed belt that will run along the row of factories and put the finished product back on that belt so on the other end you get the finished materials.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i will try to get some screenshots up later but my base is insane spaghetti with lots of inserter jumpers and multi-level belts, it looks completely scuffed but it actually works really well!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tima posted:

One of the things that I figured with the conveyer management is instead of pulling through two or three belts with different materials I can merge two 1x belts into 2x speed belt that will run along the row of factories and put the finished product back on that belt so on the other end you get the finished materials.

Will the splitter-merger-thingy pull from both inputs evenly doing this?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

Ciaphas posted:

Will the splitter-merger-thingy pull from both inputs evenly doing this?

I'm still balancing my inputs but something like this will merge them https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1761439029953468248/841823B24D0AACBDAB7644B7D5BAFFC87F23B45A/

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Is there a way in DSP to make items go up a stacked splitter?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They just patched DSP and it looks like I now have a light around my mech. I can see :woop:

boz
Oct 16, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

Is there a way in DSP to make items go up a stacked splitter?

While laying belts press Up on the keyboard.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Edit: this is from today's patch notes for Dyson Sphere Program

lol those patch notes

quote:

Thank you for all of your support!
and - don't forget to strike a proper balance between Dyson sphere engineering and rest yourself!

I feel personally attacked

Anthony Chuzzlewit fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Am I supposed to be feeding Deuterium back into the Fractionators? Or do they just produce a tiny bit of Deuterium as you feed Hydrogen through it?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The actual mechanics seem to be "Hydrogen passing through has a 1% chance to be converted into Deuterium" so you can just loop it around over and over with a feeder belt to replace the losses.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Bhodi posted:

The actual mechanics seem to be "Hydrogen passing through has a 1% chance to be converted into Deuterium" so you can just loop it around over and over with a feeder belt to replace the losses.

Okay I am doing exactly this, it's just very slow so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. It's easy enough to set up a chain of them with a belt running from one to the next so it's easily repeatable, I guess you just need to put down a fuckton of em.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this game is that good and is just out on early access?

this and workers&resources is going to be a problem

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

dead gay comedy forums posted:

this game is that good and is just out on early access?

this and workers&resources is going to be a problem

Yeah when I backed it on kickstarter I was all "this sounds neat but I bet it'll only be a Factorio-lite that'll just make some people happy"

instead no holy poo poo it's entering the hall of fame from the get go

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
i made a dsp thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956868

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Am I missing something? The third matrix resource is Titanium based, not silicon. Which means after making red, it was probably a better idea to go find another planet? I mean, I have piles of silicon for later now I guess. But I need to get off this rock asap if I want to advance to tech 4.

Edit: This game is amazingly awesome tho. I'm able to fly back n forth between 2 planets now getting all my mining going into a huge array of storage containers.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2021

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Peekaboo!

My logistics production network now spanning half of the starter planet.

Just finished off my last yellow research, time to start expanding the incoming resources to get purple production up and running! Game is awesome, sitting around 42 hours played so far!

Edit: moving to the main thread now that one is up!

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 25, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeah when I backed it on kickstarter I was all "this sounds neat but I bet it'll only be a Factorio-lite that'll just make some people happy"

instead no holy poo poo it's entering the hall of fame from the get go

I saw it earlier and just figured it was going to be a cheap clone and not Actual loving Cocaine But For Nerds

Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm putting off DSP in the meantime since I want to see when they'll add new save-breaking systems, so instead I'm playing Endzone. And man, Endzone is loving tough. I wish could suss out proper ratios for resources/labor per resource because having to balance labor in the form of population aging out, along with having to micro housing in order to free space for younger adults to Make Bebe is a massive pain. I love the chill vibes and aesthetic tho, which is funny because it's set in the goddamn post-apocalypse.