Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Why does the Lego apple not have a stud hole on the bottom?

It was originally a Scala (Lego's answer to Barbie) part and they weren't always good at being compatible with regular Lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
We did the police station modular over the past two nights. Fun build, although I really would have preferred anything but a police station. At least it had a cute story behind the crook. Not sure I want to bother opening the classic car though if I'm still not able to find the Diner. I check both the website and the local store inventory twice a day but nothing so far.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I decided to reorganize my game room and make a Lego space.

I forgot just how much Lego I had in storage.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJKvMTm2/

But it's coming along.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

davebo posted:

We did the police station modular over the past two nights. Fun build, although I really would have preferred anything but a police station. At least it had a cute story behind the crook. Not sure I want to bother opening the classic car though if I'm still not able to find the Diner. I check both the website and the local store inventory twice a day but nothing so far.

Speaking of the police station, I liked the use of the Minecraft parts in the cornice:

Lego, if you’re out there, I will take back everything I’ve ever said about Mario’s pants if they show up in a modular building.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Those are minecraft parts? 1 - I thought they were new and 2 - I thought minecraft was all 1x1 bricks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's the derpy wolf head piece. almost all the animal/humanoid heads are molded.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The instruction manual also makes a :dadjoke: reference to “crafting” the cornice.

That’s something I noticed about the new “18+” treatment for modulars - there’s a brief introduction and some flavor text sprinkled throughout the manual, like in the Architecture sets and the like. It’s a nice finishing touch.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm through bag 9 of Ninjago Gardens and I really like the pacing of the build. I can usually do 2-3 bags a night while watching The Expanse with Mrs. Doctor and each bag is essentially one building at this point.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

OSU_Matthew posted:

On the series 21 blind bags, are there any differentiating UPCs on the bags for each fig, or is feel the only way to figure it out? Just got so burned on buying so many of the same pirate figure in the last series I was wondering what the best avenue to get the set without messing around with the surprise aspect is. I know Mega has unique codes on their bags which makes picking up all their blind bags a lot easier.

Is my best bet just to buy the series as a lot? Would this bricklink 71029-2 set contain everything or just a box of 12 random figs?

I haven't done this at all in covid times, but most of our supermarkets sell them so i just visit late at night when it is quiet and hang out in the toy aisle and feel my way through the box at my leisure and spread them out on the shelf in order.
The stores here don't mind if it is quiet (which the toy aisle generally is after 10pm!) and you put them back in the box afterwards. In Sainsburys once one of the shop assistants joined in.

You will find some are always super obvious, and even if you cant ID everything you can make sure you go home with all uniques. I've never done a whole set in a single visit but you can do a lot of it and then go back for the rest knowing better what you are feeling for. You still get the surprise aspect but can avoid 95% of the the dupes.

If you can take one of the series leaflets with you or have it on your phone it makes it easier than using the side of the box.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well I got my Lego desk stuff out of storage and organized,

and built this little guy...

Based off of this set, but with pieces I had laying about.

I also found all the pieces to my favorite moc I've ever made, Anub-hiss. So my excitement is gonna stay topped up for a bit.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I saw Amazon has the international space station for $56 today. Is that worth getting? Seems like a lot of similar panels.

Edit: vv thanks for the perspective. It turns out I only really love space stuff if it involves Han Solo blasting his way out of a sticky situation.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 25, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you like lego? Do you like space stuff? Do you have the money?

If yes, then yes you buy it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I felt like it was probably a very good model of something that it turns out I have no idea what it really looks like, other than the solar panels. Not my favorite build.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Dang, wish I'd seen this before my illegal techniques stream. Found this while looking up a technique from the Disney Castle:

The illegal technique I found in Old Trafford was much more borderline, but this one is explicitly no-go. Really raises the question of "does recent precedent make a technique legal?" Or did this just get a pass or get overlooked?

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 25, 2021

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

Dang, wish I'd seen this before my illegal techniques stream. Found this while looking up a technique from the Disney Castle:

The illegal technique I found in Old Trafford was much more borderline, but this one is explicitly no-go. Really raises the question of "does recent precedent make a technique legal?" Or did this just get a pass or get overlooked?

I don't get what is illegal about this? Its not stressing the bricks from what I can understand.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Q for sellers: do you ever bother with the original boxes? I kept a couple for the biggest sets that I want to sell, but I can't imagine trying to ship a box that's mostly empty. Is there much demand for original boxes?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't get what is illegal about this? Its not stressing the bricks from what I can understand.
SHOULDA WATCHED THE STREA-

So, the height of an axle hole in a Technic brick is not the same as the height of a stud on a SNOT brick - it's higher by 0.12mm because axles are fairly thick and the bricks need to have enough height underneath the axle holes for their antistuds connection to accept a stud. Since we know a piece attached to the sideways stud of a SNOT brick is level with the top of that brick, we know that a piece attached sideways to a Technic brick is therefore 0.12mm higher than the top of the brick (side note: this is why Technic beams/liftarms are not as thick as regular bricks). So the middle plate+tile assembly in the castle build is in collision or clipping into the 2 x 4 plate above it - in practice, this means the 2 x 4 plate cannot seat fully. This is explicitly an illegal technique in internal design documents such as the famous "Stressing The Elements" pdf that goes around.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
:hmmyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I built that design with real parts and I think it's fine. The 1x2 attached to the technic pin definitely rises above the base of the 1x2 technic hole brick, but when you put a plate on top of it it's still loose so it's not under any tension. I think maybe the antistud circles are slightly recessed compared to the edge of the plate? The 1x1 tile perfectly sits inside that outer ridge.

edit - well maybe not. when I compress the top plate down as hard as I can the middle piece stops wiggling. I can certainly see why this would pass inspection though.. it's extremely hard to tell in person that there's an issue. Maybe the slight play in the technic pin is what allows it to work?

more edit - a fun variant

xzzy fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 25, 2021

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
It's certainly not an issue for a casual builder. I do poo poo like that all the time. I'm just surprised to see a blatantly illegal technique - one that has been spoken about by LEGO, specifically Jamie Berard, as being unacceptable in an official set (again, years ago) - in a modern set, mostly for the questions it raises about internal set approval standards and such, and particularly how they've changed over time. The famous PDF I referenced is, like, 15 years old now, but we don't have a lot of modern insight as to how this stuff works behind the scenes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

It's certainly not an issue for a casual builder. I do poo poo like that all the time. I'm just surprised to see a blatantly illegal technique - one that has been spoken about by LEGO, specifically Jamie Berard, as being unacceptable in an official set (again, years ago) - in a modern set, mostly for the questions it raises about internal set approval standards and such, and particularly how they've changed over time. The famous PDF I referenced is, like, 15 years old now, but we don't have a lot of modern insight as to how this stuff works behind the scenes.

So... while I promised myself I would stop calling it out on MOCs after watching your stream

can we call the LEGO cops now?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I love building MoCs with all kind of illegal techniques. I also close the shutters while doing that because I assume someone is watching.

then sometims they shatter into thousands of tiny pieces and I'm sad

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

tuo posted:

I love building MoCs with all kind of illegal techniques.
How dare you. I would never.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That classic space monster truck I've posted a few times is "illegal," the length of the wheel wells and running boards don't match up with the stud length of the vehicle and the pieces at the corner liked to separate if you compressed pieces at the wrong spots. Not by much, it was a fraction of a millimeter but it was easy to spot how the parts weren't perfectly flush.

I also used these turned 45 degrees to do the cockpit control computers.

I don't know if it's strictly illegal but I loving love how cleanly they snap onto a plate if you turn them 45 degrees.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Do people ever do challenge MoCs to try to emulate older building techniques? Like, I see plenty of re-imaginings of like "old theme with tons of new building techniques and high piece count" (eg: super elaborate Classic Space and Ice Planet MoCs)

But does anyone do it the other way? Almost like the equivalent of a demake. Would that even be interesting?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Nth Doctor posted:

can we call the LEGO cops now?

This thread:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think they should print the cop minifigs with douchey sunglasses

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Brawnfire posted:

And mold them with their thumbs hooked around their vest straps, since that's the only way I've ever seen a cop stand.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's more like it

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Huzzah my elf club house arrived! The long and expensive quest to build a Christmas village begins.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

I'm really surprised Bionicle is winning the remake vote. I knew they had a subset of superfans but didn't realize there were that many of them...maybe this is the real election fraud story of the year?

Also glad we're posting Lego cops, here's my favorite

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Carbohydrates posted:

How dare you. I would never.

It's torture, I tell you. Picking up the rest of an actual cool Tantive IV from the floor because you pressed too hard on a certain piece? Result is still great.

But joking aside, I think that that's still something where Lego is just unmatched. Neither by 3rd parties, or by MoCs. MoCs tend to throw in parts after parts without thinking about it, or are cool with building stuff that breaks apart if you breath too heavily. Third parties are still quite a bit away from the perfection that Lego puts into it's bigger sets.

Then there is Lego technic in it's current state, though (and for example the cada 488)

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Oxyclean posted:

Do people ever do challenge MoCs to try to emulate older building techniques? Like, I see plenty of re-imaginings of like "old theme with tons of new building techniques and high piece count" (eg: super elaborate Classic Space and Ice Planet MoCs)

But does anyone do it the other way? Almost like the equivalent of a demake. Would that even be interesting?

If my LEGO collection had the same number of pieces but they were all 2x4 bricks, it might be a more interesting supply to build with. You could make a giant castle or ship or something, the voxel-esque appearance of such builds is quite endearing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Oxyclean posted:

That's an interesting thing, imo. I currently have two Tantive IVs on display. The newest LEGO one, and the most popular MoC one. My brother actually has the original LEGO one (no idea if that was already called UCS back then? the one with the black/white box), and we had then three of them next to each other, when my brother invited some friends. Two where interested in the "LEGO" thing, and there was such an interesting debate about the three sets. The MoC one is the one closes to the movie prop, the new LEGO one uses a lot a new parts and looks pretty clean, and the original one is - well - the original one. Let's say the newer LEGO one was liked the most, mostly due to the play features and interior (the guys didn't care about scale, details and stuff), but the original one (the one I'd basically kill for...not really, but you know what I mean) was disregarded as "ugly, boxy" etc.

My brother and I talked about that for some time, and I think you really have to get the "correct age" of LEGO fans for something like that, like people that didn't get into the hobby just couple of years ago, but who have experienced it since they were a kid. This is not meant to belittle LEGO fans that started the hobby in the last couple of years, just that I think you absolutely need the mindset of what was possible/available in parts thirty or so years ago vs. now.

tuo fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 25, 2021

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
LEGO is for many people a childhood thing that they later rediscover in adulthood- there is often a “dark age” gap in adolescence when that idle time is spent pursuing other interests.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have another barracuda bay question

Is there a latrine in the bow section, or what is that?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Dogen posted:

I have another barracuda bay question

Is there a latrine in the bow section, or what is that?

No, it's not a latrine, it's a head. Hence its being in the bow. ;)

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Heck yeah blocky lego sets. I got the original Slave I on my desk in all its blocky glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Jehde posted:

Heck yeah blocky lego sets. I got the original Slave I on my desk in all its blocky glory.

I thought all old star wars sets were like 3 pieces you stuck together tops.