Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Yeah Nah?
This poll is closed.
Yeah Nah 122 53.51%
Nah Yeah 64 28.07%
Nah Yee 18 7.89%
No Yes 9 3.95%
Yes No 15 6.58%
Total: 228 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Buttcoin purse posted:

In any case I feel like it's much the same as if I called up the Yellow Pages and asked them to pay me for carrying an advertisement for my business.
Isn't it a bit more like your business is news and the yellow pages starts reprinting all your news articles in the yellow pages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Flannelette posted:

They can obscure the headlines from the search engine any time they like.

Then they'd probably whine about their SEO being all hosed-up. Or they could just make every single headline some clickbait bullshit.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Flannelette posted:

They can obscure the headlines from the search engine any time they like.

Yeah I know, I guess they don't want to do that because it doesn't involve somehow having their cake and eating it too.

The Artificial Kid posted:

Isn't it a bit more like your business is news and the yellow pages starts reprinting all your news articles in the yellow pages?

How is Google doing anything like "reprinting" articles? It shows you about a dozen words from the article doesn't it?

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah I know, I guess they don't want to do that because it doesn't involve somehow having their cake and eating it too.

How is Google doing anything like "reprinting" articles? It shows you about a dozen words from the article doesn't it?

Many years ago I was paid to wake up early and write summaries of business news articles from the local papers, to be circulated to law and finance firms as a quick digest of the news. Usually the summary didn’t contain much more information than the first one to two sentences of the article.

What google gets by presenting the headlines and opening words of all these news articles is content that people used to be willing to pay money for. Instead they now pay in viewer eyeball focus, some of which google gets at the expense of the companies paying to produce the original articles, because people often don’t need to click through to an article to get the gist of it.

I don’t know enough about the details of how much google makes from this, how much the media companies are losing (if anything), or exactly how the new rules will affect those parameters. But simply on the face of it I’m not immediately convinced that google shouldn’t have to pay some kind of split for the right to publish this “undigested digest” of the news.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Apple has a subscription service for their news app but lol if I'm gonna pay and let Murdoch get his cut.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Worth noting that Google has already made deals in other countries, most recently France: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/google-agrees-to-pay-french-news-sites-to-send-them-traffic/.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
If Google hits the nuclear button and shuts down Google Search, Youtube. Maps and the Android Playstore, I expect we'll have a successful insurrection in Parliament within 2 hours. It would be under 1 hour, but it will take time for everyone in the country to work out how to find Parliament without googling it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jan 23, 2021

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Comstar posted:

If Google hits the nuclear button and shuts down Google Search, Youtube. Maps and the Android Playstore, I expect we'll have a successful insurrection in Parliament within 2 hours. It would be under 1 hour, but it will take time for everyone in the country to work out how to find Parliament without googling it.

I would willingly vote out my federal and state members if Google threatened to withdraw their services because the government were being fuckwits. News sites can put robots on their pages and tell google to gently caress off, but they don't because whilst they still lose views to lazy assholes reading headlines and nothing else, they gain enough click throughs to keep them floating. Modern news services need to survive via subscriptions, and I think all the viable ones have realised this and are pushing for it heavily.

The government getting involved at this point and regulating something that should not be an issue is dumb. They have always had the ability to opt out of google, pushing the government to make google pay to use their services is dumb.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Konomex posted:

I would willingly vote out my federal and state members if Google threatened to withdraw their services because the government were being fuckwits. News sites can put robots on their pages and tell google to gently caress off, but they don't because whilst they still lose views to lazy assholes reading headlines and nothing else, they gain enough click throughs to keep them floating. Modern news services need to survive via subscriptions, and I think all the viable ones have realised this and are pushing for it heavily.

The government getting involved at this point and regulating something that should not be an issue is dumb. They have always had the ability to opt out of google, pushing the government to make google pay to use their services is dumb.

As I posited earlier:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

So the reason why Morrison is so gung-ho about this is because of Murdoch yeah?

I've zero proof to back that up beyond a history of the federal Liberal party being beholden to Newscorp to an absurd degree. I really feel like this boils down to the aggrieved news outlets being greedy and taking advantage of a political situation which could get them the lions share (All the clicks, billions of clicks, clicks on clicks on clicks!!!)

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 23, 2021

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
Considering that initial versions of the rule specifically excluded SBS and ABC it's hard not to make reasonable assumptions there.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Comstar posted:

They're only threatening to take away Google Search. I'm not sure if that would include Maps but the Store and Youtube would most likely exist. I actually want to see them do it too. Mostly because it would flip the finger at Murdoch, and people would find out other search engines exist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But, wouldn't the legislation apply as equally to Bing and Ask Jeeves as it does to Google?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seeing as how Microsoft CEO's aren't threatening to shut down Bing or whatever it doesn't look like the new law will be impacting them as much.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Seeing as how Microsoft CEO's aren't threatening to shut down Bing or whatever it doesn't look like the new law will be impacting them as much.

No one uses Bing as a news service, Bing is just happy for the mention in this post to be honest.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Well this could get bad. Stirling, Aldgate, Mylor, Bridewater area is around 20k people on fairly large blocks

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RichardA posted:

Well this could get bad. Stirling, Aldgate, Mylor, Bridewater area is around 20k people on fairly large blocks

It's a fair few kilometres south of me but the smoke plume this evening was huge

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah. Can see the glow reflecting off the plume from lobethal. Lucky that it had been dead calm today.

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope
Seems the lack of wind help contain it, it's now raining too.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I seriously doubt Google will actually pull the trigger.

But it'd be good if they did. Mostly because gently caress murdoch

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/timhatfield87/status/1353573095999590401

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

...who?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

She left her heart to the sappers

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anybody who spots Cox should contact police.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hello police? I would like to report a discord server hahahah.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Join the :sever:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

With a name like that, does a child truly have any chance at a good life? It feels like they're predisposed to life in jail

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I heard she's on the last train out of Sydney.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
CFS said they expect the Adelaide Hills to be on fire for four to five days, but, y'know, not super predictable stuff

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NPR Journalizard posted:

Anybody who spots Cox should contact police.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Peccadillo posted:

CFS said they expect the Adelaide Hills to be on fire for four to five days, but, y'know, not super predictable stuff

The fire that got near enough to my house to result in a n emergency text from the CFS is out, the main fire in Scott Creek is just patchy small burns now thanks to rain and no wind overnight and today.

e: Time Message Issued: 22:53
Date Message Issued: 25/01/2021

Origin / Name: CHERRY GARDENS

Incident Update
ISSUED FOR CHERRY GARDENS

This fire has now been contained with no current warning messages active.

More than 400 firefighters have been working during today to contain the fire burning in the Adelaide Hills. More than 2700 hectares of scrub and grasslands has been burnt. Due to the high rainfall, parts of the fireground are now unsafe and firefighting activities has reduced.

A number of strike teams have been stood down, with skeleton crews to remain on overnight to monitor the fireground and respond to any flare up or incidents.

We'll have volunteers on call over night in case the situation changes and then back on tomorrow to mop up and black out the fireground, crews will remain on scene for several days.

Tiered road closures remain within the fireground to assist in keeping the community safe. At this stage Mount Bold Road is closed to all traffic as a Tier 1 Road Closure. Silver Lake Road/Strathalbyn Road Mylor, Red Hill Road/Longwood Road Longwood, Scott Creek Road/Woolcock Road Longwood, Lamont/Crossing Road, and Cherry Gardens Road/Dorset Vale Road Cherry Gardens are Tier 3 with access to local traffic only. These road closures will continue to be monitored and reviewed. For safety reasons, residents are asked not to enter areas with Tier 1 road closures in place. A current list of road closures can be found at traffic.sa.gov.au.

The Rapid Damage Assessment team has been undertaking assessments today to determine the level of impact. It has now been confirmed that 2 homes have been destroyed in the fire, 17 outbuildings, 2 vehicles and 2 further outbuildings have been partially damaged. Efforts by firefighters have seen 60 homes saved during the firefight.

DEW is coordinating support for the protection of endangered species of Flora and Fauna within the conservation parks and reserves including species of orchid, southern brown bandicoot and chestnut rumped heath wren.

When returning to your property residents need to be aware of safety hazards associated with fire affected areas and ensure areas impacted are assessed by a relevant licensed trade person.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 25, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Arse posted:

The new social justice movement is different to the old one. The civil rights movement and the campaign for legal equality for homosexuals began on the streets. The new transgender movement, on the other hand, began in the cultural studies departments of universities and is founded on Theory, with an upper-case T.

Queer Theory, from which today’s transgenderism derives, is an exercise in applied postmodernism that explicitly sets out to change the social order. Transgender activists are not motivated by the plight of those suffering from gender dysphoria, a clinical diagnosis some of these radicals would like to erase. They are political revolutionaries who use “queer” as a verb and deliberately mess with the language to destabilise seemingly fixed categories, like male and female, and to problematise the binary thinking they represent. Their actions flow from a worldview obsessed with hierarchies of power and cultural grievances that reduces everything to a zero-sum political struggle.

:jerkbag:

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Transgender activists are not motivated by the plight of those suffering from gender dysphoria, a clinical diagnosis some of these radicals would like to erase.

:negative:
I bet the article goes on to talk about the suffering of those with gender dysphoria like.. zero more times?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Buttcoin purse posted:

:negative:
I bet the article goes on to talk about the suffering of those with gender dysphoria like.. zero more times?

haha, of course. it's just the tired greatest hits of "social contagion! Safe Schools is transing your daughters! biological males are going to ruin women's sports!"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

For those of you not wanting to celebrate Invasion Day today, instead try celebrating Indian Republic Day!

A country that became a Republic, AND gets to play in the Commonwealth games. Thus negating the only decent argument for remaining beholden to Good Queen Lizzie.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

For those of you not wanting to celebrate Invasion Day today, instead try celebrating Indian Republic Day!

A country that became a Republic, AND gets to play in the Commonwealth games. Thus negating the only decent argument for remaining beholden to Good Queen Lizzie.

A majority of countries in the Commonwealth are republics. I think there's only like 15 or 16 of us left who are still Commonwealth "realms."

Wasn't there something a while ago where they wanted to change the law so that the throne could go to an eldest daughter but every realm had to agree and in Australia that meant all the attorney generals had to agree and SA or somebody was holding up the process? That was pretty funny

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Australia is pretty good, and is a good place to live. There are of course, a lot of things to improve on in our country, but I'm glad to live here and to be Australian :australia:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bell jar posted:

Australia is pretty good, and is a good place to live. There are of course, a lot of things to improve on in our country, but I'm glad to live here and to be Australian :australia:

Fuckin fascist.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bell jar posted:

Australia is pretty good

[citation needed]

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

[citation needed]

Unironically though, where else would you rather live? For me it would probably only be New Zealand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
tbh I think i would be happy anywhere except new zealand