Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Bundy posted:

I forever count my blessings that I was sat behind the goal for that. The entire Stretford end jeered and made wanker signs at him lol

didnt your heart break at least a little though

its one of the saddest things i think ive ever seen in PRO FOOTBALL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

No

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Gerrard’s face when Torres was subbed off at Birmingham was A Thing That Happened I Liked.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

As was Gerrard's slip.

Which isn't related at all to this conversation I just want us all to remember it again.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
remember gerrards last united game and the heatmap lol

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Good lord that was hilarious

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

e: apparently there's a real one lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol Newcastle are so awful I've just fully stopped paying attwntion. At least McLaren managed the odd win

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

NBCSN is being killed by NBC before the end of the year. No word on what that means for Premier League coverage yet other than obviously more games on Peacock.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Shrapnig posted:

NBCSN is being killed by NBC before the end of the year. No word on what that means for Premier League coverage yet other than obviously more games on Peacock.

That would have been a big loss a few years back when they actually showed games.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

They’ll just put everything on Peacock except a game a week on NBC I’m assuming. Between CNBC, MSNBC, USA they’ve got plenty of places for dump things like the olympics if they really need the extra TV coverage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Everything on NBCSN is just getting moved to USA for the most part. It's channel consolidation that's being blown wildly out of proportion. It shouldn't surprise anyone that they don't have enough content to justify 100 channels anymore.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Advanced stats

https://twitter.com/oilysailor/status/1353425966580838400

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
TUCHEL IS COMING TO CHELSEA LOL

bye Frank lmao

edit:
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1353640638860951554?s=19

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rip lampard you were fat and fail

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
very nice of chelsea football club to leak the sacking of their club legend before it actually happened

oliwan fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 25, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lmao Chelsea are so poo poo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

oliwan posted:

TUCHEL IS COMING TO CHELSEA LOL

bye Frank lmao

edit:
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1353640638860951554?s=19

To steal a joke I saw on Twitter - finally a Tory faces consequences.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/_jasminebaba/status/1353649776802332673?s=19

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There’s a job going north of the border...

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

To steal a joke I saw on Twitter - finally a Tory faces consequences.

Lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

winston bogarde would give it a go I reckon

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/1353665331731066887

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Lmao. Didn't even get a chance to go bald before he hit fraud status

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

He wasn't doing a particularly good job at Derby in the Championship, definitely wasn't ready for Chelsea.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
He did well with the transfer ban in place

But then spaffed a load of money on poo poo players that didn't fit his system or didn't know how to use them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Frankston posted:

He wasn't doing a particularly good job at Derby in the Championship, definitely wasn't ready for Chelsea.

Yes he did, their squad was poo poo apart from Mount and Tomori. Getting that shower to the playoffs was a cracking first season in management.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

He did well with the transfer ban in place

But then spaffed a load of money on poo poo players that didn't fit his system or didn't know how to use them.

Acording to that very long athletic article on his sacking, the signings were all Marina and he only wanted chillwell out of the lot of them

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

https://twitter.com/CursedFootball/status/1353420235349626880

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Also highly looking forward to the wailing at the moon that's going to come from the press over the next few days

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Also highly looking forward to the wailing at the moon that's going to come from the press over the next few days

The use of t’riffic is gonna skyrocket

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Get hosed chelsea

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Chelsea’s summer basically sealed Lampard’s fate. Working that many players into a team is hard and the amount of money Chelsea spent was insane. Also

Bape Culture posted:

Get hosed chelsea

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Imagine spending £200m to be as fail as arsenal

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There are seasons where teams are just sensational and the competition is immense. This season it seems like everybody's a bit poo poo

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1353687828086075392?s=19

Lol replacement isn't in the country and Chelsea are scrambling to get an quarantine exemption

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Can't wait for bielsa to go round his house and just stand in front of his living room windows doing the binoculars

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Vegetable posted:

There are seasons where teams are just sensational and the competition is immense. This season it seems like everybody's a bit poo poo

this and the Chels canning a manager after a loss to Leicester are some good omens for this season.

(it could never happen again)
((but could it?))

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I stole this from Reddit because I don't have an Athletic subscription:

quote:

Summary :

- Lampard’s relationship with influential director Marina Granovskaia deteriorated

- Ralf Rangnick was offered interim job last week for four months but turned it down

- Calls were made in recent weeks to sound out Leipzig’s Julian Nagelsmann

- Leicester game was tipping point and morning after spent trying to finalise successor

- Lampard shook players hands and thanked them for efforts under him after Leicester match

- Petr Cech involved in talking to new stars’ agents as form dipped

- Some players complained about lack of tactical instruction and not being spoken to for months

- Desire to re-sign Declan Rice annoyed his bosses

- The dressing room felt manager showed no empathy and were hurt by his public criticism

- Lampard would have walked out had he been working for any club other than Chelsea

EDIT : More big info from the piece :

- tensions behind the scenes really began to emerge during the January transfer window 12 months ago. Lampard asked for Arsenal forward Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who was considering leaving Emirates Stadium at that juncture, and Ajax’s attacking midfielder Hakim Ziyech. Neither arrived that month

- it was at this juncture that Mauricio Pochettino, who had been fired by Tottenham in November 2019, and RB Leipzig coach Nagelsmann were being mentioned as a potential “plan B”.

- things were becoming more tense with Granovskaia and one of the biggest points of contention was the treatment of goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga. “They clashed over Kepa. Lampard put in a request for a replacement and was told he should try putting his arm around Kepa, to help build his confidence. Lampard was insistent though.”

- Lampard wanted the club to sign West Ham midfielder Declan Rice and pushed for him again ahead of January. But some at the club had reservations about re-signing the player who was released from the academy as a teenager.

- In December The Athletic were told: “He needs to stop pushing for Rice or he’ll lose his job. The hierarchy are very wary about the potential embarrassment of buying back an academy reject at huge expense.”

- of the six players to join, only Ben Chilwell was a Lampard target.

- plan was not only to acquire Rice, who Lampard felt could be converted into a top centre back as well as using him as a defensive midfielder, but also to buy James Tarkowski from Burnley. Defenders earmarked to go were Fikayo Tomori, Marcos Alonso, and Rudiger. There was even talk that Lampard was open to the idea of captain Cesar Azpilicueta departing.

- after the Manchester City game, Roman became “very, very unhappy”. ( After the season relationship between Roman and Lampard was "strong"

- Tuchel was reluctant to come midway through the season initially but was eventually persuaded, having almost taken the Stamford Bridge job before Antonio Conte a few years ago. He felt it was too good a job to turn down.

- “The problem was, the manager didn’t talk to the players — well only the ones he liked"

- One senior player told The Athletic that Lampard staying on for the rest of the season would have been a ‘catastrophe’, with the levels of tension in the dressing room to high to recover from and players comparing his criticism of performances to Jose Mourinho in his final days at the club.

- By the Fulham game in early January, players were expecting Lampard to be sacked if they didn’t win

- Lampard warned everyone, including the hierarchy, that a title bid was unlikely in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Chelsea looked lost the last few months under Lampard. Hopefully Tuchel can get the team playing at the level their talent suggestions and get back in the race for top 4.