Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

We love the Adamites don’t we folks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

We love the Adamites don’t we folks?

Yeah, thats the one

Now Im thinking of converting to it too, after I finish eating the remains of the HRE

I wanted to create my own crazy egalitarian heresy but the piety cost is way to high, I never manage to accumulate enough. So this one might do, and I like being naked too

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
My enjoyment of this game would probably be much higher with improvements to AI and challenge and balance. But apart from that I've been thinking about what CK3 may lack in terms of flavor.

And the answer is political progress. We have intereeting systems behind character progression, bloodlines, religion, culture (or technology) and even province buildings. The world changes and develops in those areas. However with government system it's rather linear and easy. You start with partition succession (or not) and end with a centralized one. You can revoke titles. Some titles come with attached laws like HRE but it's more like a hindrance you can remove for a better control. What I'd like to see is different set of rights and maybe fqme attached to different titles. You get some if that through vassal obligation, some through wonder buildings making holding specific territories more desirable.

I can see this coming with a Byzantine Empire & Council big expansion. Different titles have different laws and court titles and bonuses. Maybe you have a lot of cities and your state gets a better city income but burger rights generate events, give more power to Steward and make him unchangeable like a court priest. Maybe you abandon specific rights given by Crown Authority for some other special rights. Things like that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Another more grounded thing I'm thinking if is using tooltips to explain reprecussions of opinion. You know how in EU4 it's fun to navigate diplomacy and see who is potential ally and how much coerce would it take to make them want an alliance.

So I'm thinking about something like that. You jover over opinion of a neighbouring king and see why is it +5. Than you see reprecussions. "Would never start a murder plot against you cause opinion on you is higher than -20". You hover over -20 and learn yhat default value is 0 but this ruler is just so he only plots against those who he hates for at least -20. "Can start a war against you cause opinion is lower than +46". He needs to like you for at least +46 to not think about fighting you because of default being +20, your relative weakness adds 16, him being brave adds 10 more.

Of course right now it's overkill, not until AI and balance are more challenging or there are higher difficulty levels. Bit I feel that ever since CK3 undocumented stuff like the improtance of opinion value has interfered with CK3 being interesting as a strategy game. But I can imagine game being mich more interesting when you can plan ahead with those opinions and relationships.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, is there really no way of selecting which part of your levies/MaA you want to raise? I like how convenient the "raise all" button is, but as your armies get bigger, you wont be using them all every time.

By the way, is there any good MaA guides? About composition and stuff

Hold Ctrl while clicking any of the raise army buttons, and it will put all of your MaA in the county where your flag(s) are. You can then select your army/armies and hold Ctrl while ordering them to move somewhere, and it will instantly move them taking just your MaA + knights. You can also click on individual armies and hit the X on the bottom right where it says 'Raising, 2 days left) to cancel adding levies to that stack.

As for MaA I feel like it's best to always use your cultural one, and then also go with the complementary one based upon buildings. If your cultural MaA are Pikemen for example, then you want to also build a bunch of Heavy Infantry, since the Barracks & Regimental Camp buildings boost both of them. Likewise, if your cultural MaA is a Skirmisher, you want to build Archers as well, since they are both boosted by Military Camps & Outposts.

Early on in the game when I can only afford a few hundred MaA, I tend to mix them up more based upon what my neighbors have. If my cultural MaA is a Heavy Infantry, but all my neighbors are building lots of Skirmishers, it doesn't make sense to build any Heavy Infantry since they would be a waste of gold. I would build some Archers to start, and then maybe a few decades later would start picking up my cultural MaA once I had Barracks and the gold to support them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I started my first game as vikings, as I am wont to do, and I'm a 100 years in and am actually at a loss for what to do at this point. I started out by expanding a bit, taking over Jutland to form the kingdom of Denmark, eating up a couple tribal chiefs for trying to raid my lands, taking over Zeeland and Paderborn to shore up my holy sites, and taking over the places in-between to make my borders prettier.

This was apparently enough to hit blob city, my vassals have conquered basically all of Scandinavia as well as a bunch of random duchies in England and France. I am now the king of Norway, Sweden and Brittany, none of which are titles I created. I finally reformed my faith, which was my first long-term goal, and now I have implemented gender equality and made witchcraft legal and a bunch of other neat stuff. My reformer king, who died of an unknown health condition at a fairly young age spent all his time being "divinely inspired" (i.e. high as a kite).

Looking at the list of decisions I appear to be pretty much unable to do anything but keep conquering, as everything is locked behind adopting feudalism. I can't build any cities, I don't get any more buildings, I can't change inheritance laws, nothin'. Is that how tribes work? You reform your faith and then sit on your rear end for 300 years to unlock building castles and cities and changing laws? Is there any way to speed up technology growth other than picking a focus?

Also all my rulers have been witches and I made sure to legalize witchin', but I think the game keeps it a secret. Does having that secret actually do anything other than unlock the ability to get high if you pick the theology focus?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 23, 2021

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I started my first game as vikings, as I am wont to do, and I'm a 100 years in and am actually at a loss for what to do at this point. I started out by expanding a bit, taking over Jutland to form the kingdom of Denmark, eating up a couple tribal chiefs for trying to raid my lands, taking over Zeeland and Paderborn to shore up my holy sites, and taking over the places in-between to make my borders prettier.

This was apparently enough to hit blob city, my vassals have conquered basically all of Scandinavia as well as a bunch of random duchies in England and France. I am now the king of Norway, Sweden and Brittany, none of which are titles I created. I finally reformed my faith, which was my first long-term goal, and now I have implemented gender equality and made witchcraft legal and a bunch of other neat stuff. My reformer king, who died of an unknown health condition at a fairly young age spent all his time being "divinely inspired" (i.e. high as a kite).

Looking at the list of decisions I appear to be pretty much unable to do anything but keep conquering, as everything is locked behind adopting feudalism. I can't build any cities, I don't get any more buildings, I can't change inheritance laws, nothin'. Is that how tribes work? You reform your faith and then sit on your rear end for 300 years to unlock building castles and cities and changing laws? Is there any way to speed up technology growth other than picking a focus?

Also all my rulers have been witches and I made sure to legalize witchin', but I think the game keeps it a secret. Does having that secret actually do anything other than unlock the ability to get high if you pick the theology focus?

Are you Norse? You can speed the process tremendously by conquering the duchy of Neustria and establishing Norman culture. This will combine all French and Norse innovations. If that isn't enough, you can create the kingdom of England, move your realm capital there, and embrace English Culture, which will combine Anglo-Saxon and Norman innovations. You can also convert to or educate your heir to be any culture that has finished the tribal era.

scaterry fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 23, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Just 14 years left

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Is there some way to keep the ability to raid while progressing through the various eras? I haven't come up with a suitable method of doing so. Norse lose the raid ability when they adopt feudalism, and feudal norse lose it when they reform Asatru.

Any way to rules lawyer this poo poo to keep the ability? Raiding is just too fun to give up but I don't want to completely miss out on advancing my culture either.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Midgetskydiver posted:

Is there some way to keep the ability to raid while progressing through the various eras? I haven't come up with a suitable method of doing so. Norse lose the raid ability when they adopt feudalism, and feudal norse lose it when they reform Asatru.

Any way to rules lawyer this poo poo to keep the ability? Raiding is just too fun to give up but I don't want to completely miss out on advancing my culture either.

If you like raiding more than you like achieving:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2248811340

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Charlz Guybon posted:

Just 14 years left

nice WRE

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Popoto posted:

nice WRE

Is there actually a way to resablish the WRE? If there is, does the HRE existing prevent it from be accomplished?

I noticed there's an event to make Illyria dejure territory but I need to get a couple of counties in different duchies from the HRE.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
i think there is an event for that if you are Byzantium, but don't quote me on that...

\edit\
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Decisions#Restore_the_Roman_Empire

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I started up a Senegambian game, by hitting random for my starting location and jumping into ruler designer.

Trying to decide what I want to reform the religion to, ultimately.

Do I aim for Islamic Syncretism because my neighbors that aren't other unreformed religions will be Muslim, or do I aim for Christian Syncretism because their neighbors will be Christians?

I mostly just want a spouse pool that's not limited to my own country and courtiers. Is there a doctrine I am missing that turns other groups from "Evil"?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do I aim for Islamic Syncretism because my neighbors that aren't other unreformed religions will be Muslim, or do I aim for Christian Syncretism because their neighbors will be Christians?

I mostly just want a spouse pool that's not limited to my own country and courtiers. Is there a doctrine I am missing that turns other groups from "Evil"?

No, the only two things that affect hostility levels are the underlying religious family (Abrahamics consider different families AND different religions evil, pagans consider different families evil, Eastern faiths including Zoroastrians don't consider anyone evil) and a few tenets (Syncretism tenets, Gnosticism, and a few special ones that can't be chosen). Syncretism tenets work both ways - you'll consider THEM hostile instead of evil and they'll consider YOU hostile instead of evil.

In your situation I think the choice might most depend on other factors. Do you want a bigger marriage pool for the sake of alliances, or for eugenics? What's your diplomatic range rule set at, or are you using a mod that expands or reduces it? Are either the Christians or Muslims making a ton of progress against each other? Are you planning to expand through your Muslim neighbours into North Africa?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The answer to every question there is "I'll have to wait and see". So I guess I go with my gut when the time comes.

.... although, can I have two Syncretism doctrines?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Veryslightlymad posted:

.... although, can I have two Syncretism doctrines?

No, you can only choose one of them.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Charlz Guybon posted:

Is there actually a way to resablish the WRE? If there is, does the HRE existing prevent it from be accomplished?

I noticed there's an event to make Illyria dejure territory but I need to get a couple of counties in different duchies from the HRE.

e_italia, e_hre, and e_byzantium can all Restore the Roman Empire, I believe. The requirements are mostly the same with a few slight differences-- HRE must be Christian, Byzantines must be Christian, Hellenic, or have Roman culture, and Italia must be Italian or Roman with either Christian or Hellenic religion and must have done the decision to expand Italia's de jure territory. The flavor text is also different, the Byzantines and HRE are pretty normal and the Italia one makes fun of how silly it is and implies the only reason anyone's respecting your claim is pure military force.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dallan Invictus posted:

No, you can only choose one of them.

That's it. I'm going to console my way into having all the friendly tenets. It will be the best religion ever. All those “friendly uprising” messages.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tippis posted:

That's it. I'm going to console my way into having all the friendly tenets. It will be the best religion ever. All those “friendly uprising” messages.

Religion Name: Unitarian Universalism
Tenets: All Syncretism tenets, Adaptive
Doctrines: Pluralism, Lay Clergy

They shall learn our tolerant ways... by force!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

scaterry posted:

Are you Norse? You can speed the process tremendously by conquering the duchy of Neustria and establishing Norman culture. This will combine all French and Norse innovations. If that isn't enough, you can create the kingdom of England, move your realm capital there, and embrace English Culture, which will combine Anglo-Saxon and Norman innovations. You can also convert to or educate your heir to be any culture that has finished the tribal era.

I came across the Norman option by chance; but I don't like the idea of mucking about with cultures. Eventually I realized that the "19" in the innovation window was misleading and I was only two techs short, so I waited it out. Now I am feudal and have to wait another 20 years to discover the early medieval era, which I guess I could skip by being Norman, but that's on me.

My main project now is to just spread witchcraft far enough to be a proper witch dynasty, but it's slow going; I can only convert my own wards and one other person at a time.

What is the best way to pare down my empire size to a more manageable size? I had twins as my last ruler, so I gave one the Kingdom of Sweden and made the other my heir, but when the ruler died, the heir got both the Empire of Denmark and the King of Sweden became my vassal. I just want to manage a smaller realm!

There's also random chunks across the world that belong to my de jure jarls, which I'm guessing I cannot tidy up without a ton of tyranny.

Also, also, the kingdom of Lotharingia converted to Cainism, which triggered a crusade against them. I was also a target, due to holding a chunk of its de jure counties, but none of my fellow norse pagans joined the war. They spawned troops and were happy to fight the crusaders, so they never actually successfully besieged any norse counties, but all of my land was given to the crusader king when the Cainites surrendered. Is this just a specific bug that came around because the main war target wasn't of my faith family, or are holy wars just super fucky?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
You don't get to skip the 20 year time out if you're Norman. It was pretty disappointing to learn about that extremely dumb, arbitrary mechanic on my first real run.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Did paradox forget they made this game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Did paradox forget they made this game?

They took a few weeks off during the holidays. They ought to be starting the dev diaries back up soon (they said mid-Jan by the absolute earliest)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They were extremely quiet (in Paradox terms) in the post release as well. They seem to be trying a new communication/release strategy.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I have to say I appreciate that rare DevDiaries strategy. It's fine when the game is not out. But when it's there it always feels like your weekly dose of developers telling you why the current version of the game sucks and only an idiot would play it instead of waiting for cool new features.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They took a few weeks off during the holidays. They ought to be starting the dev diaries back up soon (they said mid-Jan by the absolute earliest)

The problem is, we had already multiple dev diaries for EU4 and Stellaris. It's only CK3 where they maintain complete radio silence.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Swedes get long vacations. At least 25 days per year not counting holidays. Which is why Paradox goes quiet a few times a year.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Swedes get long vacations. At least 25 days per year not counting holidays. Which is why Paradox goes quiet a few times a year.

I wish we had the same. It was very frustrating though when I worked in manufacturing, and had to deal with our European partners. I'd be talking deadlines with them, and for example maybe they'd tell me it would take 6 weeks to complete a job. So I'd say, "Great, so I can expect it on such and such date 6 weeks from now." And they'd respond in shock, "What? No, what makes you think that? We have a 3 week holiday coming up. You won't be getting it for 9 weeks." So I'd ask why they just didn't tell me that to begin with, and they'd act like I was crazy even for asking that question.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I like that they’re going with longer dev cycles because it produced a very polished game. I do wish they had earlier/more speculative dev diaries as well, but I get why they don’t want to, so I’ll live. I’m sure they’re anxious to sell us some DLC with how well the game sold.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
We are working on the game :)

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

After a century or so at high crown authority it's actually kind of fun to take it down a step and watch all your vassals immediately tear into each other over claims and territorial disputes that they haven't been able to do anything about up until now. As long as one of them doesn't start coming out on top, aka exactly what I did to get in this position in the first place, I think I'll let them go at it for a decade or so then tell the kids to settle down again.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Quorum posted:

e_italia, e_hre, and e_byzantium can all Restore the Roman Empire, I believe. The requirements are mostly the same with a few slight differences-- HRE must be Christian, Byzantines must be Christian, Hellenic, or have Roman culture, and Italia must be Italian or Roman with either Christian or Hellenic religion and must have done the decision to expand Italia's de jure territory. The flavor text is also different, the Byzantines and HRE are pretty normal and the Italia one makes fun of how silly it is and implies the only reason anyone's respecting your claim is pure military force.
Yeah, I managed to get all the counties in Illyria before the game ended and managed to pass the unite Italy decision. This gave me the opportunity to pass the decision restore the Roman Empire. I had everything in the west and the county of Constantinople, but there were four duchies in the east that I didn't have in full.

I feel like you should have to restore the WRE before you can reunite both halves.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 26, 2021

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Well, I guess this Italian Empire decision is supposed to be a stand in for the WRE.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
"befriend" is a little overpowered inst it?

Seems very easy to get a 100% chance of success or near with pretty much anyone. Than you can befriend all your vassals and do whatever you want

And being on the first level of its skill tree makes it very easy to get too

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

"befriend" is a little overpowered inst it?

Seems very easy to get a 100% chance of success or near with pretty much anyone. Than you can befriend all your vassals and do whatever you want

And being on the first level of its skill tree makes it very easy to get too

It's balanced by not being a true 100% and taking a year to achieve, during which you can't do any other personal schemes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Reading the Paradox forums so you don't have to (also you literally couldn't, they are going down for maintenance for 6-8 hours shortly):

PDX-Nicou posted:

Hey everyone, thanks for your patience & understanding.

Some news today, we have a window for the next Dev Diary: Mid-February.

That Dev Diary will be the firestarter of new lit content to come, so hold tight 

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Midgetskydiver posted:

It's balanced by not being a true 100% and taking a year to achieve, during which you can't do any other personal schemes.

Usually 10 months here, and I dont think Ive only seen it not finish with me and the guy being friends once, and I been using it a lot. Not sure is a great balance

Is not like is hard to keep your vassals happy when you are big and rich even without it, but being able to so easily make all your powerful vassals friends makes it trivial

I would bet thats getting nerfed soon

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Reading the Paradox forums so you don't have to (also you literally couldn't, they are going down for maintenance for 6-8 hours shortly):

Heresies and all the different ways to burn witches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dallan Invictus posted:

Crusader Kings 3: Sigurdr is Lit