Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m surprised it’s that cheap but I don’t know gaming laptops well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah see that just takes me to a page that says expired, I assume it was for a specific shuffle. Where do they normally announce the shuffles?

they dont, this is what you get and like it.
check back every day at 1pm pst

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m surprised it’s that cheap but I don’t know gaming laptops well

It's not that cheap, really, considering it's "just" a xx60 part, and will be packed in a laptop with a 4c/8t CPU, almost certainly a TN screen, a 10 minute battery, a case made out of cardboard.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Fauxtool posted:

they dont, this is what you get and like it.
check back every day at 1pm pst

Okay, thanks. That’s dumb, but you’re cool. :cheers:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

DrDork posted:

It's not that cheap, really, considering it's "just" a xx60 part, and will be packed in a laptop with a 4c/8t CPU, almost certainly a TN screen, a 10 minute battery, a case made out of cardboard.

I don’t have a dog in the fight but fwiw they claim 16 hours of video play back.

Quite a few people are saying the new case design is a lot better as well.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I don’t have a dog in the fight but fwiw they claim 16 hours of video play back.

Yeah, anyone claiming that out of a 4-cell battery with discrete GPU is also doing stuff like "16 hours when you turn the screen off, disable the dGPU in BIOS, turn off all networking, etc."

But hey, if they figured out a better case design, then that's all the better, because those hardware specs for $1100 ain't bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, anyone claiming that out of a 4-cell battery with discrete GPU is also doing stuff like "16 hours when you turn the screen off, disable the dGPU in BIOS, turn off all networking, etc."

But hey, if they figured out a better case design, then that's all the better, because those hardware specs for $1100 ain't bad.

I get ~10+ hours watching Netflix out of my asus g14 which is a 4 cell. That's off the iGPU but windows handles that pretty well now, you don't need to do that in bios.

TUFs are ok. Screen is usually IPS but a kinda crappy one. Usually not the best thermals though which really makes me curious on how the performance ends up looking. Still a really nice deal if the 3060 is approximately 2080 performance, which would be my guess. Depends with the OEM sets the TDP thing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Supposedly they fixed the thermals on this round of the TUF laptops.

Won’t really know for a little while but I expect to see that laptop for $800 by October or so.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

TUFs are ok.

Yeah, I agree. They're not super high quality, but they're not total poo poo-boxes most of the time. Just a case of you get what you pay for, and you're mostly paying for the CPU/GPU/RAM/SSD specs and everything else is a bonus if it's better than mediocre. Which, for a lot of people, is a fine trade for the lower price.

7-10hrs video I'd believe. Actually getting 16hrs would put it in the top 3 best battery life laptops in existence right now, so I don't think anyone should be taking that number seriously.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I currently have a 1050ti and am more of a budget buyer. I am fine not having top of the line (as indicated by my 1050ti) and I am unsure of the next upgrade I should get. I would like to be able to do VR one day with flight/space sims. What would be a good card to keep an eye on assuming prices would normalize (:rolleyes:) and be below $300? I assume this will be within the next 12 months?

Or for that matter, if I can get a card for $300 or less, what should realistically watchlist?

And is it possible to get closer to $250 in budget?

Edit: VR isn’t a necessity and I anticipate 1080p and maybe 1440p gaming for the foreseeable future.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 24, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

dialhforhero posted:

I currently have a 1050ti and am more of a budget buyer. I am fine not having top of the line (as indicated by my 1050ti) and I am unsure of the next upgrade I should get. I would like to be able to do VR one day with flight/space sims. What would be a good card to keep an eye on assuming prices would normalize (:rolleyes:) and be below $300? I assume this will be within the next 12 months?

Or for that matter, if I can get a card for $300 or less, what should realistically watchlist?

3080 barely does 30FPS in VR in MSFS2020. There’s really no cheap entry point to VR flight sims. Of course part of that is the fact that flight sims are very CPU limited and no card can overcome that, but still, it’s where we are at currently.

For space, elite dangerous ran great on a 2060 in VR.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FS2020 will run like poo poo on a <$300 card, but you would be fine in something like IL2 or Elite or Star Wars: Squadrons.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The GPU market is all high-end right now. They can't produce nearly enough of the highest-margin products to meet demand, so there literally aren't mid-range and low-end products right now. Right now it's either buy an (incredibly overpriced) used GPU or wait for probably 6+ months for something new to come out.

MSFS is never going to run well, especially in VR, until it gets a new renderer. It's very CPU bound and extremely badly done. A lot of other titles will perform well on relatively low-end hardware as long as you're not chasing max settings. It very much depends on the specific games and to some extent VR headset you're looking to use.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

Edit: VR isn’t a necessity and I anticipate 1080p and maybe 1440p gaming for the foreseeable future.

The RTX 3060 is supposed to have an MSRP of 329 USD and is expected to be released sometime in late February 2021. That's the cheapest latest-gen card and it technically isn't even out yet. The RTX 3060Ti has an MSRP of 399 USD, but with the market being as it is, they tend to go more for 500 to 600 unless you're willing to do the check-out-camp-out thing.

AMD does not have anything in that range yet.

It's reasonable to assume that NVidia will eventually come up with an RTX 3050, if not also an RTX 3050Ti, but those could be much later in the year, with AMD's equivalent offerings (say, an RX 6500 XT) being even later still.

Something like a GTX 1660 Super should be sizable step up from your GTX 1050Ti, while still being below the 300 mark with an MSRP of 229 USD... but only if it's available and only if you can find it at that price.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Thanks. I was thinking of the 2060 and I wasn’t sure if the 16XX series was enough of an upgrade.

I will watch them both. Any brand in particular? ASUS/EVGA and...?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

dialhforhero posted:

Thanks. I was thinking of the 2060 and I wasn’t sure if the 16XX series was enough of an upgrade.

The nice thing about the 2060 is that it'll get your foot in the door with RT effects and DLSS (and Broadcast).

The bad thing about the 2060 is that the MSRP is already well above your 300-dollar mark, and that's just for the 2060 plain, not even counting the 2060 Super. And if you're going to exceed 300 dollars anyway, I'd just tell you to wait for the 3060 non-Ti.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

The nice thing about the 2060 is that it'll get your foot in the door with RT effects and DLSS (and Broadcast).

The bad thing about the 2060 is that the MSRP is already well above your 300-dollar mark, and that's just for the 2060 plain, not even counting the 2060 Super. And if you're going to exceed 300 dollars anyway, I'd just tell you to wait for the 3060 non-Ti.

Yeah last Gen is not worth it IMO unless you get a big price discount...

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Corte posted:

Can a GPU be a limiting factor when using a PC with a TV at a high resolution? I have been running mine at 3480x2160 and it feels like there's a slight delay or sluggishness in response at times such as when playing FTL in windowed mode but it's not so noticeable as for me to be certain that's the issue.

I'm a day behind but that card's only capable of 30 hz @ 4k. That will definitely cause sluggishness. You may want to run 1080P@60 or even 120 if your TV supports.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ive been loosely following this thread since I found out I likely need a new GPU, and considering I could only find a 1660 super at best buy while 2060s are either completely gone or scalped to poo poo it sounds like I made a good call to wait for 3060s to become available.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Define "available".

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I refuse

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

dialhforhero posted:

The market is hosed right now for your use case. I'd wait until the 3060 is more readily available for MSRP or see if Nvidia release something in the 200-300 range in the next 6-9 months. They probably will.

That said, the 3060 looks like an awesome card for this generation of VR headsets.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
finally got a 3090 on the way, it's the pny one but with minimal trying it was all I could source

i'll probably put up my 2060 super on samart once i swap the new one it

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

dialhforhero posted:

If you'd like to know you'll be able to do 1440p, make sure you're getting a card with enough VRAM. 8GB should be enough. I'd recommend a newer RTX card, as DLSS really helps with higher resolutions, and I think is something we're going to eventually see standardized because it's such a magic technology.

VR is really demanding, especially if you're looking at new games. The first crop of VR games from 2015/2016 - like Elite - run really well though (for obvious reasons), and are still super immersive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We talk about chip production often enough in the GPU thread that I thought others might also be interested in this Twitter thread about the fundamentals of IC production:

https://twitter.com/tubetimeus/status/1352676882920083457?s=21

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

etalian posted:

Yeah last Gen is not worth it IMO unless you get a big price discount...

Yeah this.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

We talk about chip production often enough in the GPU thread that I thought others might also be interested in this Twitter thread about the fundamentals of IC production:

https://twitter.com/tubetimeus/status/1352676882920083457?s=21

If only there were an easier format than 80 tweets. Ah well, limitations of technology and all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Inept posted:

If only there were an easier format than 80 tweets. Ah well, limitations of technology and all.

Yeah, not the best.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Inept posted:

https://threader.app/thread/1352676882920083457

This helps a little, but yeah agreed.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Just as an interest check before I release it to SA-Mart, would anyone be interested in the 3080 MSI Ventus OC? I got one from Best Buy arriving Wednesday for a TFF Discord buddy but they got lucky on the Newegg shuffle. Wouldn't be asking for much, just the price paid + fees, shipping, and enough to grab Hitman 3.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

BrownThunder posted:

Just as an interest check before I release it to SA-Mart, would anyone be interested in the 3080 MSI Ventus OC? I got one from Best Buy arriving Wednesday for a TFF Discord buddy but they got lucky on the Newegg shuffle. Wouldn't be asking for much, just the price paid + fees, shipping, and enough to grab Hitman 3.

PM'd

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Inept posted:

Blog posts are worthless for engagement. Blame the algorithm, not the content creator.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BrownThunder posted:

If that other person falls through, I’m chasing one for a friend (who is also a goon) and it’s exactly the card he is after, so I’ll take it.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Inept posted:

Time to make a 10:01 long youtube video

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Played PC RDR2 for 30 minutes before the keybind insanity drove me nuts. I should probably give it another try but i cant abide lazy and sloppy keybind systems these days. I am def getting old.

16 years of playing games on Steam and it was the only one I ever requested a refund on, totally unplayable game interface

I was like 3 minutes over the one hour limit for refunds but still got the refund, thanks Steam

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Zeno-25 posted:

I was like 3 minutes over the one hour limit for refunds but still got the refund, thanks Steam

It's two hours :ssh:

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

KS posted:

I'm a day behind but that card's only capable of 30 hz @ 4k. That will definitely cause sluggishness. You may want to run 1080P@60 or even 120 if your TV supports.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, better late than never. Through advanced display settings it's telling me the max is 60 or 60 interlaced. Tried FTL windowed with display at 1080p and definitely felt smoother. Turned on game mode and followed directions from rtings.com.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

explosivo posted:

It's two hours :ssh:

You can even go slightly over that if you don’t abuse it either. Steam will say that it’s not guaranteed, but in my experience it still goes through.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I have a Sapphire RX570 (4GB Nitro+) that I've been using, mainly to drive my TV. Also for the odd bit of 1080p gaming.

A month or two ago it started glitching in and out of a whitenoise pattern (like the HBO logo). Often it will display Windows again and occasionally it will fall back to a green screen until I reboot by manually holding the power button. If I play GTA V it often seems like all is well, until maybe 2 or 5 minutes into gameplay when the game just shits out and dumps me back into Steam. If I just use it to watch YouTube it could be fine for 3 or 4 hours.

I've re-installed Windows 2 or 3 times. I just had the thought that I should strip the air cooler off it tonight and re-apply paste to the die. Will MX-5 suffice? That's all I have to hand.

I've stripped the cooler off a card before, and it should be a half-hour job. Any other ideas what the fault may be, if it's not the paste that's dried out? I'm guessing it's 4 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doomisland posted:

Time to make a 10:01 long youtube video

8:01 is now the target length