Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Oraetta was just a knock-off version of Annie Wilkes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Season 4 at least had the good point of introducing a lot of people who were previously unfamiliar with her (such as myself) to Jessie Buckley. That lady has all the potential to be an absolute megastar. :allears:

She was really good in Chernobyl too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait holy poo poo she was the wife of the fireman? :aaa:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Watch i’m thinking of ending things for more Jesse Buckley greatness (and also greatness in general it’s the best movie of the year probably)

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just absolutely lol at the building in the montage where Cannon is looking out of his car that was covered in mobile phone masts. Just look at this poo poo!

This was a lingering shot, and the masts are right in the middle of frame! This has got to be one of the biggest errors I've ever seen in high-budget TV. This makes that crew member in the Mandalorian look like nothing.

Maybe they were going for a foreshadowing thing, like what the future will be? He had the original idea for a credit card, we see where that ended up.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

Wait holy poo poo she was the wife of the fireman? :aaa:

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ShakeZula posted:

Well it was better to me than S3 (which I stopped watching after a few episodes), but never got close to 1 or 2. Rock had a couple of decent speeches but ultimately felt miscast.

I think "disjointed" really is the best word to describe the season. A lot of really interesting and well-done pieces, amounting to a whole lot of nothing.
100% exactly how I feel.
Tack on the fact that they under-utilized Olyphant.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Just finished it, I dug it but it had some eyebrow moments, I kinda hated how Gaetano went out, and Josto put like zero effort into pleading his case and not getting killed, to a bizarre level.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Finally watched the last episode yesterday. Only 40 minutes long and it's like 90% just people being killed off. I mean I'd already read everything here including spoilers and I didn't expect it to be that weak of an ending. I guess Oraetta was the best part as usual.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Double post several days later. I'm watching Season 2 again, I never got far into it while it was airing, and I noticed something... do any of the previous seasons use the Fargo theme as much as Season 4 did? They play it a lot in the intro/outro of episodes in S4.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Fartington Butts posted:

Double post several days later. I'm watching Season 2 again, I never got far into it while it was airing, and I noticed something... do any of the previous seasons use the Fargo theme as much as Season 4 did? They play it a lot in the intro/outro of episodes in S4.

No they definitely recycled a lot of music in a way that reduced it's effectiveness IMO, especially the theme song.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked season 1 a lot but didn't like how they had Bob Odenkirk play the sheriff. Odenkirk is one of our best actors and hits it out of the park as Saul but sticking him in a role where for most of the season all he does is stop Molly from doing her job was frustrating as they didn't give him much to work with. He got a little better in the end and still a powerhouse season, but still annoying to recall that oh yeah Odenkirk was on Fargo but had nothing to do.

He played a lovely cop that got into a position of power because of sheer luck and circumstance and he absolutely nailed it.

night slime
May 14, 2014

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Just finished it, I dug it but it had some eyebrow moments, I kinda hated how Gaetano went out, and Josto put like zero effort into pleading his case and not getting killed, to a bizarre level.

It didn't make sense to me either until I realized maybe it was because he was drinking heavily.

After watching Gomorrah, the Gaetano/Schwartzman plot vaguely reminds me of some of the themes in the show, like he wanted a slapstick version of it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fartington Butts posted:

didn't they hold off on using it until the Doctor Senator episode?

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
I haven't watched the first three seasons in a while, but if anything it felt like season 4 used it the least, especially sense it waits until halfway through to use it for the first time.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I'm glad I waited to watch this until I could binge the whole thing as the first 4 episodes were pretty slow and didn't do a good job hooking me. It was still good TV, but it wasn't nearly as good as seasons 1-3. It felt like they had all the pieces for a really good season but it never really came together in a satisfying way. It's like they wasted so much screen time in the first 4 episodes they didn't have room for a better finish.

I couldn't really buy into Chris Rocks performance as this supposedly scary gangster, much in the same way I never bought into Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson in Boardwalk empire.

Speaking of boardwalk empire, we got Jack Huston pseudo-reprising his role of Richard Harrow. I enjoyed his character, but again, like with most of the characters they just didn't quite flesh him out enough and didn't stick the landing.

I also flipped out at the cell phone antennae on the building in the final episode.

I enjoyed the Cohen Easter eggs littered throughout the season:

Treehorn Trucking

The scene where the milky eyed enforcer chokes/garrotes the guy just like Chigurh did in No Country for Old Men.

Schwartzman and Orietta walking to their graves with that soul music reminiscent of Oh Brother Where Art Though.

And although its not Cohen related, the escape from prison was also shot just like Andy escaping Shawshank.

Edit: The whole season felt more like a millers crossing homage, more than fargo

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 23, 2021

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I got more of a Raising Arizona vibe from the prison escape myself, which reminds me that I loving love Raising Arizona and should go rewatch it.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Jerusalem posted:

I got more of a Raising Arizona vibe from the prison escape myself, which reminds me that I loving love Raising Arizona and should go rewatch it.
I’ve never seen Raising Arizona. I should fix that.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Arist posted:

I'm not sure the last shot was Mike heading to his office job, because he was clearly preparing for conflict. But there only being one Kitchen brother with him kind of narrows the timeline it could possibly be; maybe it's him heading to the motel.

I really liked the way that last scene was presented: he's still just that same little boy, forever changed, practicing reloading his gun. The biggest issue with Satchel becoming Mike for me was generally that Satchel was rather unemotional and guarded, while Mike was a very cool and larger-than-life figure. But that last scene contextualizes the transformation: Mike is a performance, a defense mechanism. Satchel's still in there, but he's buried under layers of affectation meant to protect him.

He's clearly off to kill Zelmare for killing his father and frankly the fact that you only see a shot of Mike reloading his gun feels like such a waste. They might as well have put up a MISSING REEL notice just so we could pretend it's a joke.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Sierra Madre posted:

He's clearly off to kill Zelmare for killing his father and frankly the fact that you only see a shot of Mike reloading his gun feels like such a waste. They might as well have put up a MISSING REEL notice just so we could pretend it's a joke.

I remember reading the ending was just reused S2 footage from him going to the hotel to kill some old boss guy. They filmed other ending scenes but didn't use them, according to a Hawley interview.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

th3t00t posted:

I’ve never seen Raising Arizona. I should fix that.

Oh absolutely you should, it's great. Don't be tricked by seeing that Nicolas Cage is in it, it's from a long time ago when Nicolas Cage being in a movie was an unmistakable sign of high quality.

:sigh:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

night slime posted:

I remember reading the ending was just reused S2 footage from him going to the hotel to kill some old boss guy. They filmed other ending scenes but didn't use them, according to a Hawley interview.

It was absolutely reused S2 footage. I watched S2 shortly after 4 finished.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I spent precious minutes of my life making this stupid joke so hopefully at least one other person in the world can enjoy it.

https://twitter.com/klimtbizkit/status/1354246170844000259

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Y'just got a Twitter follow out of it so... there's that.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I just watched the movie for the first time in ages after rewatching S3 for the first time, never realized how much homage to the movie S3 has. Eden Prairie, Arby's, postage stamps, the parking lot business, the female cop protagonist going on a bad sorta-date with a creep. Probably more that I didn't catch.

Anyway, I haven't seen season 4. How does it compare with the others?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

El Jeffe posted:

Anyway, I haven't seen season 4. How does it compare with the others?

it has its moments but I dunno it doesn't quite feel as coherent as the first three

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i guess it's notable as the only season where the cops aren't the protagonists.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It has great actors, a really solid premise, and some incredible characters. But it never really coalesces the way the other seasons do and feels really clunky. Chris Rock is pretty bad in it, which is a shame cause he's one of the pillars of the season. Still worth a watch, there's still some really memorable episodes in there.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It has great actors, a really solid premise, and some incredible characters. But it never really coalesces the way the other seasons do and feels really clunky. Chris Rock is pretty bad in it, which is a shame cause he's one of the pillars of the season. Still worth a watch, there's still some really memorable episodes in there.

I liked Jessie Buckley as the insane nurse, but even so I bounced off S4 after the first few episodes. It just didn't grab me the way the first three seasons had.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Crazy nurse lady was awesome. The rest of the cast was just kind of average I would say, still a decent season overall though.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Jessie's the highlight for sure.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Jessie is amazing. Rabbi is enthralling. Doctor Senator is fantastic. The lesbian outlaws are great. Jason Schwartzman and his brother are fun as hell. You root for the OCD copper.

But from what I recall the way the story unfolded was terribly unsatisfying. By the later episodes, it felt like all those performances were being under-utilised. Can't remember the exact issues, but Chris Rock falling flat was one that stuck.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Chris Rock is very underwhelming in it and just wasn't the right choice. I think the rest of the cast is phenomenal though.

From what I understand, covid really hosed with their filming. I'm wondering if they really just didn't film everything and had to bring the story together in the edit. It just really feels like something is missing in the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the last couple of episodes of season 4 were kind of cobbled together with very limited cast interaction. Also there was something like a year gap in filming.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You can tell where the reshoots were, it's very obvious, especially when you look at any tree in the last two episodes.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well that makes sense. It started out pretty strong and felt like it was building to something, then kind of just fell apart like a wet fart. The plot was good and the moments were fine, but it just didn't really land correctly.

Still I'm really looking forward to S5. 1-3 are the best television produced in the last decade imo so I need more.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

If you want an idea of how bad Chris Rock was, all you need to do is watch this clip. Seeing the same lines back-to-back with a bad actor then a good one really highlights it. Most people agree that episode 9 "East/West" is the best episode and it stands enough on its own that you can watch just that one and be fine skipping everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiuSOmqXNU

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Yeah a lot of comedic actors can make the transition to drama with pretty outstanding results. Chris Rock has always been a standup first and an actor second though and he just doesn't have it. I don't think he was distractingly bad in S4 necessarily, but he just doesn't have "it". Thankfully they were smart enough to pair him with Glynn Turman who could carry all those scenes and had chemistry with everyone.

I'm pretty drat excited for the S5 cast. Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh are slam dunks, but I want to see what Joe Keery and Lamorne Morris can bring.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Lister posted:

If you want an idea of how bad Chris Rock was, all you need to do is watch this clip. Seeing the same lines back-to-back with a bad actor then a good one really highlights it. Most people agree that episode 9 "East/West" is the best episode and it stands enough on its own that you can watch just that one and be fine skipping everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiuSOmqXNU

Bokeem/Mike might be the best in the whole series, hard act to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

MokBa posted:

Yeah a lot of comedic actors can make the transition to drama with pretty outstanding results. Chris Rock has always been a standup first and an actor second though and he just doesn't have it. I don't think he was distractingly bad in S4 necessarily, but he just doesn't have "it". Thankfully they were smart enough to pair him with Glynn Turman who could carry all those scenes and had chemistry with everyone.

It's a shame, I was excited to hear Rock was cast in this. I feel like more damning than the acting is that he just doesn't have a presence to him when he's on screen. The role as written wants you to believe this guy has a gravitas to him - that he's a great leader backed into a corner by a bad situation... and like that clip shared, Rock just falls so flat that it takes you completely out of it.

I'm not sure if Covid alone sunk that ship, as I recall getting worried about it halfway through the season instead of the very end, but that is interesting to hear. I'll still take a Fargo miss over a lot of tv, as there's still so much to like from the swing regardless.

quote:

I'm pretty drat excited for the S5 cast. Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh are slam dunks, but I want to see what Joe Keery and Lamorne Morris can bring.

Hard agree!